PDA

View Full Version : Opening Doors to Foreign Donors, Dark Money

giovonni
3rd July 2016, 22:21
In 2014 when the Supreme Court Struck Down the Overall Political Donation Cap (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/03/us/politics/supreme-court-ruling-on-campaign-contributions.html?_r=0), it truly indicated a major blow for the United States of having any real legitimate resemblance of a democratic government ...

Now comes this ...

House Passes Koch-Backed Bill Aimed At Opening Doors
To Foreign Donors, Dark Money

http://www.schwartzreport.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/David-Koch-2-768x432.jpg
David Koch, Executive Vice President of Koch Industries, Inc.

Via The Schwartz Report

It is the practice of the oligarchs to always operate within the law, which is not a problem since their Congressional liegemen obediently, as a vassal should, write the law to suit their masters. As this report makes clear they don’t even bother to hide the corruption anymore. That is the level to which we have sunk.

This is what Bernie Sanders was trying to change, and he was right that it is an urgent problem. We are destroying the democratic republic bequeathed to us.

Kit O'Connell - Mint Press News

WASHINGTON — Rather than following the lead of prominent advocates for campaign finance reform, the House of Representatives recently voted to make American politics less transparent than ever.

The issue of the influence of so-called “dark money” on politics — hidden, high-dollar donations made possible by reforms to campaign finance law like the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision — is receiving renewed attention this election cycle thanks to successful awareness-raising campaigns by presidential candidates like Bernie Sanders and Jill Stein, and legislators like Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

A September poll by Bloomberg Politics found that 78 percent of Americans would like to see Citizens United overturned. And that opposition isn’t coming from just one corner; it’s consistent across the party spectrum, from Democrats to Republicans to independents ... Read the rest (http://www.mintpressnews.com/house-passes-koch-backed-bill-aimed-opening-doors-foreign-donors-dark-money/217777/)

risveglio
4th July 2016, 04:38
What a joke. HR5035 protects small donors, especially from the corrupt government. Just look at the hassle the Irs has given campaign for liberty.

The house finally protects the fIrst amendment and citizens from a corrupt, over reaching Irs and this crony writer wants to make it sound like a bad thing

Want to talk about a horrendous bill, look at 5611

giovonni
4th July 2016, 08:35
What a joke. HR5035 protects small donors, especially from the corrupt government. Just look at the hassle the Irs has given campaign for liberty.

The house finally protects the fIrst amendment and citizens from a corrupt, over reaching Irs and this crony writer wants to make it sound like a bad thing

Want to talk about a horrendous bill, look at 5611

The OP is referring to this bill and particulars ...

"Instead of listening to the will of the people, on June 14, the House approved HR 5053."

I am not quite sure what your points are risveglio - regarding HR5035 and HR5611 ?

Perhaps you could elaborate.

risveglio
4th July 2016, 12:38
Did you read the bill or do you think if some moron has a column he is always right? (ie, your love for the always wrong Paul Krugman)

This bill protects a citizens privacy to give to causes he or she chooses to support without it being released to the public or being scrutinized deeper by the Irs like was done to donors by the IRS a few years back. There are provisions that any donation over $5000 would not be exempt and would have to be reported. So I guess under this guy's eyes, all the "dark" money will trickle in at $4999?

Come on! This is a ****ing hit piece by a clueless writer.

giovonni
4th July 2016, 18:09
Did you read the bill or do you think if some moron has a column he is always right? (ie, your love for the always wrong Paul Krugman)

This bill protects a citizens privacy to give to causes he or she chooses to support without it being released to the public or being scrutinized deeper by the Irs like was done to donors by the IRS a few years back. There are provisions that any donation over $5000 would not be exempt and would have to be reported. So I guess under this guy's eyes, all the "dark" money will trickle in at $4999?

Your point taken, though I think your over playing the IRS bit too much ...
And yes I did review these bills mentioned after your previous post ...

Apparently you and I are reading the possibilities of all this quite differently ... And calling someone a "hack", because they write for a newspaper doesn't give your comments much credibility ... As far as reading the "bill" most individual (including Congresspersons) ever do (unless they are Congressional legislative aides) - These so called "bills" contain lots of individual resolutions (and tacked on portions) and read on like a extra long roll of toilet paper ...

See you at the polls !

risveglio
4th July 2016, 19:07

Your point taken, though I think your over playing the IRS bit too much ...
And yes I did review these bills mentioned after your previous post ...

Apparently you and I are reading the possibilities of all this quite differently ... And calling someone a "hack", because they write for a newspaper doesn't give your comments much credibility ... As far as reading the "bill" most individual (including Congresspersons) ever do (unless they are Congressional legislative aides) - These so called "bills" contain lots of individual resolutions (and tacked on portions) and read on like a extra long roll of toilet paper ...

See you at the polls !

I don't vote but I do know what happens when the IRS targets you and your business because who you have donated to gets leaked. 5 audits in 5 years with nothing being found but guess what, they don't reimburse you for the time and money you spend to defend yourself. The cost alone was probably 8-10 jobs for the company. Don't tell me I am overplaying the IRS. Lois Lerner? Remember her? The harrasment that Campaign for Liberty is facing? Want to google that?

Depends on which hack you are talking about. Kit O'Connel, this article, as all I have reviewed is not journalism, they are opinion pieces that never state the other side and never show the other side as being anything but evil. Seems this is typical in the extremist on both sides of the Isreal/Palestine charade.

Paul Krugman, maybe not a hack but a disinfo/ con-artist and the puppet of the elite and a horrible economist.

KRUGMAN's ECONOMIC FORMULA

is x + y good for the country?
is the President a republican or democrat
is the President supporting x - y

Example 1
is war and debt good for the country?
George W Bush is Present, a republican
Yes, President is supporting war and debt
ANSWER: NO, not good for the country

Example 2
Is war and debt good for the country?
Barrack Obama is Present, a democrat
Yes, President is supporting war and debt
ANSWER: Yes, good for the country

If you disagree with Economic Illiterate Paul Krugman, you are obviously crazy because we all know:

By 2005 or so, it will be clear that the Internet's impact on the economy has beeen no greater than the fax machine's

Love the idea of makin all donations public.

If you donate to LGBT cause, Westboro baptist Church members should find out.

Give to the poor in Africa, the KKK should be informed.
Donate to gun control causes, criminals with guns should be able to look that up.

STATISM IS A CULT.

giovonni
4th July 2016, 19:33
Sorry if you've been targeted risveglio ...With the current ever widening U.S. deficits, the IRS has been ever noticeably aggressive in collecting presumably owed taxes especially from smaller fledgling businesses ... As I referred to above, mixing resolutions and attaching contradicting measures to Congressional bills - Is nothing new for a very corrupt legislative branch system ... I believe we both can agree to that at least ... :(