PDA

View Full Version : A Point of View

bogeyman
19th July 2016, 09:09
This is a 10 min radio broadcast from the UK Radio 4 it states the following:

"When psychologists test how people behave with and without oversight, it becomes depressingly clear that if we think nobody's looking, we don't even remotely always let our consciences be our guides," she writes. "Even very normal, pleasant people can delegate their morality to other people who appear to be in charge, even of bizarre and disturbing scenarios."

The presenter/author is AL Kennedy. It is interesting since it mentions the Space Shuttle disaster and how NASA altered the facts to fit their beliefs which ultimately led to the death of many astronauts.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3maevhz8bn1fdky/APointOfView-20160715-FactsNotOpinions.mp3

Nick Matkin
19th July 2016, 09:39
There was also a recent BBC Radio 4 analysis of decision making (maybe it's in that programme above). It seems once a person has made a decision, especially if it was a hard one to make, it's very difficult to get them to realise they made a mistake! Confirmation bias comes into play and we do all sorts of intellectual juggling to convince ourselves that we were right, and look for evidence to confirm this...

joeecho
19th July 2016, 18:29
Confirmation bias comes into play and we do all sorts of intellectual juggling to convince ourselves that we were right, and look for evidence to confirm this...

I suspect that a large portion of the population can be 'set up' to believe just about anything, under the circumstances given. The internal GPS, per say, is suppressed....for a time.

Michelle Marie
19th July 2016, 20:41
That's not true for everyone. Some listen intently to their conscience.

More and more will be more finely attuned during this time of rapid evolution.

The light of truth within is a true "life saver" as I have literally discovered through personal experience.

Love to all,
MM

bogeyman
19th July 2016, 21:04
That's not true for everyone. Some listen intently to their conscience.

More and more will be more finely attuned during this time of rapid evolution.

The light of truth within is a true "life saver" as I have literally discovered through personal experience.

Love to all,
MM

It is a matter of internal consciousness, some are not that sensitive and very much involved in the material world.

Marikins
20th July 2016, 08:32
We are very distracted from hearing our inner voice, deliberately so, I think.
Some parents do not encourage the child to listen to that voice, it is not even a consideration. Religion used to provide moral rules, but still not teach listening to one's self. We are at an interesting time when the oversight of religion wanes but we have not replaced it with early training to develop one's own discernment, wisdom and kindness.