PDA

View Full Version : Huxley's Letter to Orwell About 1984 Regarding Social Control

Fellow Aspirant
23rd August 2016, 01:42
In this letter to Orwell, Huxley praises 1984, but professes his thoughts about how the population will be controlled in the long run. It is far more efficient, he states, to use mass hypnosis to get citizens to do the elite's bidding. History has proven how right he was. Although riots are stamped out around the world, we as a species are much better at convincing ourselves to "behave", a la Brave New World. It is clearly evident that our ruling elites have taken Huxley's methods to heart.

Here's the letter, with my emphases added.

Wrightwood. Cal.
21 October, 1949

Dear Mr. Orwell,

It was very kind of you to tell your publishers to send me a copy of your book. It arrived as I was in the midst of a piece of work that required much reading and consulting of references; and since poor sight makes it necessary for me to ration my reading, I had to wait a long time before being able to embark on Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Agreeing with all that the critics have written of it, I need not tell you, yet once more, how fine and how profoundly important the book is. May I speak instead of the thing with which the book deals --- the ultimate revolution? The first hints of a philosophy of the ultimate revolution --- the revolution which lies beyond politics and economics, and which aims at total subversion of the individual's psychology and physiology --- are to be found in the Marquis de Sade, who regarded himself as the continuator, the consummator, of Robespierre and Babeuf. The philosophy of the ruling minority in Nineteen Eighty-Four is a sadism which has been carried to its logical conclusion by going beyond sex and denying it. Whether in actual fact the policy of the boot-on-the-face can go on indefinitely seems doubtful. My own belief is that the ruling oligarchy will find less arduous and wasteful ways of governing and of satisfying its lust for power, and these ways will resemble those which I described in Brave New World. I have had occasion recently to look into the history of animal magnetism and hypnotism, and have been greatly struck by the way in which, for a hundred and fifty years, the world has refused to take serious cognizance of the discoveries of Mesmer, Braid, Esdaile, and the rest.

Partly because of the prevailing materialism and partly because of prevailing respectability, nineteenth-century philosophers and men of science were not willing to investigate the odder facts of psychology for practical men, such as politicians, soldiers and policemen, to apply in the field of government. Thanks to the voluntary ignorance of our fathers, the advent of the ultimate revolution was delayed for five or six generations. Another lucky accident was Freud's inability to hypnotize successfully and his consequent disparagement of hypnotism. This delayed the general application of hypnotism to psychiatry for at least forty years. But now psycho-analysis is being combined with hypnosis; and hypnosis has been made easy and indefinitely extensible through the use of barbiturates, which induce a hypnoid and suggestible state in even the most recalcitrant subjects.

Within the next generation I believe that the world's rulers will discover that infant conditioning and narco-hypnosis are more efficient, as instruments of government, than clubs and prisons, and that the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience. In other words, I feel that the nightmare of Nineteen Eighty-Four is destined to modulate into the nightmare of a world having more resemblance to that which I imagined in Brave New World. The change will be brought about as a result of a felt need for increased efficiency. Meanwhile, of course, there may be a large-scale biological and atomic war --- in which case we shall have nightmares of other and scarcely imaginable kinds.

Thank you once again for the book.

Yours sincerely,

Aldous Huxley

6812830962_1f5f8cc526_o

AutumnW
23rd August 2016, 05:06
That's great. Thank you. We have both 1984 and Brave New World. If you are poor and black you get the boot in the face. If not you get the fist in a velvet glove. It is astonishing that we have been convinced to spy on ourselves, essentially, with Facebook! What a coup for the letter agencies. And we LOVE doing it. Advertising using hypnotic techniques, created insecurities. Insecurities about superficial appearance and material possessions created defended psyches, which created a culture of narcissism, which created people gleefully exposing the private arenas of their lives. Wow. Hard to believe!

Mike
23rd August 2016, 06:09
Dear George, thank you for the book but let me politely tell you why mine is better;)

Ive just read them both, back to back, and 1984 is clearly superior. Theres a reason we now call a thing "Orwellian" and not "Huxlian"..

I know this isnt a book critic thread, but I couldnt help myself. Now excuse me while I go take some soma..

Fellow Aspirant
23rd August 2016, 09:05
Dear George, thank you for the book but let me politely tell you why mine is better;)

Ive just read them both, back to back, and 1984 is clearly superior. Theres a reason we now call a thing "Orwellian" and not "Huxlian"..

I know this isnt a book critic thread, but I couldnt help myself. Now excuse me while I go take some soma..

Orwell's writing style is more sophisticated than Huxley's, but that doesn't mean Huxley's premise is more true. The reason we use the term "Orwellian" is that the brute methods of TPTB are more 'in your face', so to speak. They are more blatant. The persuasive methods of TPTB are far more subtle, to the point where we prefer not to acknowledge them, let alone notice them. We are far too busy with our cultural distractions. So, we don't use disparaging terms like 'Huxlian' to refer to our influencers because we actually like them. Worse, to be 'deprived' of our social/internet freedoms would cause us to rise up in protest at being subjected to Orwellian thought control. It's perfect: we have been "allowed" to become our own censors.

Now, please pass the soma. I think I'm bothered by all this worrisome thinking. Time for a little holiday. :p

B.

jaybee
23rd August 2016, 09:58

interesting - thanks

as the world population increases and mind control becomes deeper, more subtle and more prevalent
does this naturally mean that original thinkers like Orwell and Huxley become more rare -?

I think it must do - but I hope it doesn't - :)

Carmody
23rd August 2016, 14:13
It is not that original thinkers such as Huxley, Orwell and their like have became more rare, but that the system erected via the simultaneous usage of both methodologies has erected barriers to their public emergence, development, and continuance.

Regarding a road toward freedom of all....is a situation where hope must exist so that freedom may emerge, but the fear and loss (the drive mechanism) must be at least as intense as the native subconscious obfuscation and hypnotics of the herd mentality of the avatar (carrier body) of humans.

This is a 'they've got you coming and going' type of situation, and no amount of willful nor inbuilt ignorance will change that.

Blind violence is not the answer, as such a thing only plays into 'planned gambit' behaviour zones of potential... that oligarchy and their mechanisms have created and prepared scenarios -for.

The answer, as usual, lies in the will and intensity of the individual, as most avenues for grouped resistance to such societal control are to be infiltrated - or that mechanisms for infiltration and usurping of most 'change vectors' or 'freedom potentials' in the act of emergence are planned for...by this complex hidden oligarchy.

What cannot be planned for, is if the idea of freedom becomes an act and motion in the physical realm, for a large enough part of the population. Traditionally, this is why secret services or militaries, policing, etc, are very harsh on initial signs of freedom hunting/seeking and acts of civil disobedience in the face of this necessarily (for oligarchy) near subliminal direction/motion of overall slavery.

Initial notification and alert to the deeper scenario within the majority of the public herd is to be avoided at all costs -for policing and coporo-poltical systems- as such thinking leads to an outbreak of act combined with knowing... which would become too widespread and infectious to easily control.

Oligarchy has never long managed to curb the spread and growth of the inherent hunger and appetites in it's ranks, methods, or mechanisms. That enough of the general population becomes involved in the open and public exposure of the hidden hand of oligarchy and it's inherent widespread byline of fundamentally debilitating ever evolving parasitism... due to the excesses and missteps of the oligarchy's given motion of the moment.

You.... (the public external system) are as an animal in the field. They.... are collectively in disguise, to one degree or another. They are sneaking up on you... with a thousand different faces and feet on a complex multifaceted predatory body.

How quickly does the trap close, and how evolved and involved is the erected ever roiling trap system? Public awareness to such is part of the answer to the evolutionary side of the puzzle.

TargeT
23rd August 2016, 14:44
I think we (western world, US biased) are convinced we live in 1984 via TV and popular media (even alt media) but in reality we live in a Brave New World....

so yes, a bit of both, one to assuage our paranoia & one to give us the comforts we are addicted to...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6d/56/a0/6d56a03bf9e04695da559ba619aabd18.jpg

Fellow Aspirant
23rd August 2016, 16:54
I just finished listening to the new Dr. Judy Woods interview (thanks Mojo!) and was struck, right near the end, by her assertion about why the truth about 911 was so important i.e. "Who controls the energy controls the population, but (those) who control(s) perception control everything." I just thought it was a timely observation for this thread. :high5:

And thanks to TargeT for his contribution of the Huxley/Orwell information. "Amusing Ourselves to Death" is a terrific wakeup call.

B.

Foxie Loxie
23rd August 2016, 16:57
Wow! Those were great TargeT! :waving:

shadowstalker
23rd August 2016, 20:55
Brave New World
just bought the book the other day for a buck
Have yet to read it to much going on these days.

DeDukshyn
23rd August 2016, 22:59
Both approaches are clearly in play ... It seems, working together they cover (reach) a greater range of mindsets than the sum of each.

TargeT
23rd August 2016, 23:08
Brave New World

the two are fascinating reads (1984 and a brave new world).. both dark mirrors of each other (the same in principle, yet contextually opposite)... Funny that "dystopian future" is a thing, almost a cultural obsession... but not so much "utopia" we aren't very interested in looking into / fantasizing about that... are we?

one we treat as a distinct possibility, the other as an impossibility; more cultural programming?

shadowstalker
24th August 2016, 01:32
Brave New World

the two are fascinating reads (1984 and a brave new world).. both dark mirrors of each other (the same in principle, yet contextually opposite)... Funny that "dystopian future" is a thing, almost a cultural obsession... but not so much "utopia" we aren't very interested in looking into / fantasizing about that... are we?

one we treat as a distinct possibility, the other as an impossibility; more cultural programming?

1984 is next I have 3 different versions of the movie on dvd from youtube

TargeT
24th August 2016, 20:47
1984 is next I have 3 different versions of the movie on dvd from youtube

If you have the time, get the book, Audio-books work just as well ( a lot of my "reading" is just listening while I work on other things... you have NO IDEA how over my head I am right now with this horse rescue... haha) the movie cuts out a lot of important themes (i've seen both brave new world and 1984 movies.. they pale in comparison to the books)