PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sleep

jimrich
11th September 2016, 17:00
I am watching a video by Ira Schepetin V-SpMmgbTzw in which he discusses Deep Sleep and how our ego vanishes there. He also demonstrates how the ego is active while we are awake and during a day dream but then vanishes if we intentionally stop or drop the day dream image to enter what might be considered Deep Sleep where there is no ego. I'd call that "clearing my mind" if and when I stop a day dream and momentarily become blank or empty but the main point was that our ego stops or leaves the moment we stop day dreaming and, when my ego stops - for any reason, I automatically enter peace, happiness, love, joy, freedom, relaxation for a few moments anyway, but I never noticed that all of this has something to do with STOPPING the ego - not just the mind - although they seem closely connected.
Thanks to this "insight" I can now see the value and benefits of stopping thought or fantasies, etc. to get away from my EGOIC personality, which seems to be constantly active! It's the ego that is the problem more than disturbing thoughts and feelings or even circumstances but I've been an ego for so long that it just seems to automatically be here and HAVE me!
In the past, I've had some folks, like my 1st wife, tell me to forget myself or get out of myself but I never connected that with getting out of my ego and some of those folks also had pretty BIG egos, so they were not very good "role models". I recall some events where my 1st guru became VERY egotistical and upset and I can see the same egoic patterns with almost every guru/teacher at Youtube and on several audio tapes where the "sage" becomes obviously EGOTISTICAL and either upset or arrogant!
It's becoming more and more amazing to see how the ego in me and many others operates and quite often in an unconscious and automatic way. You'd think that these sages and gurus would be the first to have NO ego or at least have their ego under control but now I can see that they, just like me, are prone to being taken over by their egos just like the "unenlightened". I have a tape where Eli-Jaxson LOOSES it!
The more I learn about and look at the ego, the more obvious it is to realize just how it works and how much effect and impact it has on everyone and everything. Even my dogs and cats had strong, reactive and obvious EGOS so maybe being stuck with an ego is just one of those things! But for me, handling & backing down my ego is becoming a major focus of my attention and process because my ego has been a real troublemaker for a very long time.
I remember now how I built and constructed my ego from early childhood when I just copied the egos around me to go along with whatever special characteristics I was born with to build the one I now have then moved into and became it at a very early age. My ego looked and acted a lot like my parents, older brother and some to my earliest peers. I always thought I was uniquely me but now I can see how I am a mysterious composite of my parents, older brother, little sister and many others plus natural elements.
Why my ego was such a mess and troublesome is a very long story but I've needed to control and back it down for a long time but never even knew it was the problem. I was so lost in and AS my ego that I could never see that it simply needs to be STOPPED and then I'd be OK. The few times my ego did stop, I felt wonderful but never realized my good feelings came from being temporarily relieved of my ego so, my ego slipped right back in shortly after the "wonder" event and I just went on living with and AS AN EGO!
So, today I learned a powerful lesson: Just stop day dreaming which will stop the ego and then peace, happiness and joy, somewhat like what occurs in Deep dreamless sleep, will automatically happen! Lose or suspend the ego, in whatever way possible, and then love and peace will automatically show up.
How's your ego? Can you control it? If yes....how? :bowing:

Rich
11th September 2016, 22:12

I try not to control it, because trying to control it confirms its reality in my mind,
rather I choose to trust that I am as God/Self created me and that I cannot ever be anything else.
If I fail, it simply means that I give importance to the ego, there can be no failure because we already control the ego completely.

ElfeMya
12th September 2016, 08:54

I try not to control it, because trying to control it confirms its reality in my mind,
rather I choose to trust that I am as God/Self created me and that I cannot ever be anything else.
If I fail, it simply means that I give importance to the ego, there can be no failure because we already control the ego completely.
Love the wy you deal with it. I have an upcoming important time at work and this mindset really resonates with me about failure and how things really are. thank so much or sharing !

TargeT
12th September 2016, 13:51

Constant self analysis / introspection and comparison to what I hold as my values.

Also, I'm now fairly good at recognizing when I become emotionally charged & that is when ego programming can take over.. so I "check myself".

I regularly run through mental exercises, whipping my ego into a corner.

1) ask your self "what is my next thought" and wait for that inner voice to answer.. it won't be able to.. enjoy the silence ;)

2) Picture a calm candle flame (sometimes I start with a welding torch flame.. then as I move through the exercise I re-visualize it as a calm single candle flame), everything that comes to you is fed into that flame, everything other than the flame is fed into the flame, sound visuals, anything that comes to your mind gets sucked into the flame.. faster and faster; don't let a thought complete, burn it. Eventually you will just have the flame... enjoy the silence ;)

lake
12th September 2016, 14:17
1) ask your self "what is my next thought" and wait for that inner voice to answer.. it won't be able to.. enjoy the silence ;)

lmao....I just tried that.......it all went very still for approximately 7 seconds then I heard.... calibrating

Nice TargeT.......nice mate :ROFL:

TargeT
12th September 2016, 14:22

lmao....I just tried that.......it all went very still for approximately 7 seconds then I heard.... calibrating

Nice TargeT.......nice mate :ROFL:

I can get it to last for about a min. you can extend it with practice ;)

lately I've been using the "flame and void" technique to get to sleep at night; that one is a bit harder to do but works also.

Pam
12th September 2016, 14:41
The most practical way I have found to deal with the ego is simply to recognize that the goal of the ego is survival, safety and separation of itself. The ego needs to separate from the world and others in it to exist. Acting out on this will result in fear, need to control, anxiety and suspicion, at least those are frequent outcomes for me. I try to recognize these thoughts for what they are and realize I don't have to act on them. A thought that seems all important one second can drift away to nothingness if allowed to.

I spent a long time believing all the crap that went on in my head and unfortunately for me, acting on those thoughts. Now that I have come to understand their source, and most likely what the quality of the outcome will be, I can choose whether I want to reenact the age old dramas I have created and recreated for myself or I can drop them and be in the current moment. It really is as simple as that, although it is not always easy.

greybeard
12th September 2016, 16:01
Best advice I got is.
Dont talk to a thought--dont give it energy--it comes, its not MY thought, It goes. dont own it.

Another idea that works to train the mind is just watch something in nature ---preferably moving---say a duck on a pond---do not name it as a duck because then you go into the filing cabinet of past and future and you are no longer present.---What kind of Duck--dud I see that one yesterday--will I see a different one tomorrow.
Just watch with easy fixed attention.

After doing this for several days my mind generally was much quieter.
Now I still get thoughts but not so often and they arequiet in the head--they do not demand attention like they used to.

The ego has a need to know about--give an opinion on.
Needs to be noticed and it does this via thought
Ch

jimrich
13th September 2016, 08:05
I'm getting a lot of practice dealing with my thoughts, ego and basic identity by riding all over L.A. on the metro where a lot of challenging things happen. My latest discovery is to often ask my self, "Who feels or thinks such and such (generally negative stuff)?" My ego won't say, "Me, the ego." but I can tell by either the silence or a subtle satisfaction as the troubling feelings/thoughts fade away and that my ego was bothered and was projecting bad thoughts/feelings. Somehow just remembering that I am NOT an ego helps a lot even if my ego swiftly returns to front & center. Perhaps it will come to the point where my ego rarely appears or, better still, stops appearing altogether!
But for now, handling it better is good enough.

jimrich
13th September 2016, 08:09

Constant self analysis / introspection and comparison to what I hold as my values.
Great point!

Cool. Mine always came out with the "next thought" but I knew it was my ego in action!

2) don't let a thought complete, burn it. Eventually you will just have the flame... enjoy the silence ;)
Good one! :heart:

jimrich
13th September 2016, 08:15
I can choose whether I want to reenact the age old dramas I have created and recreated for myself or I can drop them and be in the current moment. It really is as simple as that, although it is not always easy.
Powerful comment and prescription! :heart: