PDA

View Full Version : Amazing: Scientists re-create the Antikythera Mechanism...Brilliant.

Hiram
14th December 2010, 21:04
Mod help In placing this short video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPVCJjTNgk

RLPVCJjTNgk

elysian
14th December 2010, 22:01
Good stuff! Clever people! I have always been fascinated by that device. Do you guys know if more devices similar to this one (the original) have been found?

shadowstalker
14th December 2010, 22:10
Awesome find

Hiram
14th December 2010, 22:40
I believe this is the only device even close to this ever found from that time period. Its not supposed to exist.

Whomever owned this device was in possession of an object of great wealth. If they didn't die when the ship sunk, they most certainly would have lamented losing such a device.

Keep in mind even during the middle ages, they were having trouble conceiving of gear differentials.

Harley
15th December 2010, 23:41
No Way! :)

Actually I've read a few articles about this some time ago. Amazing? That word doesn't even seem appropriate!

Here's a question: Disregarding the technical knowledge and ability to even conceive of such a device WAY BACK WHEN, let alone build it, WHY would they even feel the need to be able to make such precise measurements of eclipses and celestial events?

We Know Nothing, and yet We Know Everything!

Thanks Much For Posting This Hiram!

I think I'll go buy me some Legos! :)

Martin
15th December 2010, 23:50
What did I love LEGO! Buf ofcourse none of this can be real ... it simply isn't in tune with our understanding of human history! If Darwin would have none!!! :p

Martin

Hiram
16th December 2010, 00:32
No Way! :)

We Know Nothing, and yet We Know Everything!

:)

Okay, ready to really freak out? LOL.

I wrote the exact same sentence above "We know nothing and yet We know everything" in the post with the video, but then I deleted it.

So your empathic abilities finished my work! (Puffs his pipe thoughtfully)

Harley
16th December 2010, 01:05
Okay, ready to really freak out? LOL.

I wrote the exact same sentence above "We know nothing and yet We know everything" in the post with the video, but then I deleted it.

So your empathic abilities finished my work! (Puffs his pipe thoughtfully)

WOW!

I don't know what's happening to me, but I appear to be Full-Of-It here lately!

LOL!