PDA

View Full Version : Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight

Studeo
15th December 2010, 21:57
About this talk
Jill Bolte Taylor got a research opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: She had a massive stroke, and watched as her brain functions -- motion, speech, self-awareness -- shut down one by one. An astonishing story

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.htm l

damian
15th December 2010, 22:37
I watched this when it first came out and still watch it once in a while when I need to remember to be more right-brain in dealing with life.

Dennis Leahy
26th January 2011, 19:30
Very moving talk. Inspirational. One of the very best at the TED site.

Dennis

Kindling
26th January 2011, 19:37
I LOVE this video!! Thanks for posting it. I needed to watch it again! A few days ago someone posted a video of a housewife on LSD in the 60's. It reminded me of Jill Bolte's experience. I envy those who are spiritually advanced enough to experience this oneness (without having a stroke or LSD - wouldn't want to experience it *that* way - lol).

cowens66
26th January 2011, 19:45
Thanks Studeo,

I loved this so much when I first saw it that I bought her book.

It was even more wonderful than the video presentation. :)

I'm going to watch it again now.

Dennis Leahy
26th January 2011, 20:23
I LOVE this video!! Thanks for posting it. I needed to watch it again! A few days ago someone posted a video of a housewife on LSD in the 60's. It reminded me of Jill Bolte's experience. I envy those who are spiritually advanced enough to experience this oneness (without having a stroke or LSD - wouldn't want to experience it *that* way - lol).

Yeah, Kindling, that LSD thread was my reminder too, and I decided to be a good Avalon citizen and search and see if it had already been posted before posting it again (it is already here at least 3 times.)

So, I just watched it again, and once again, was mesmerized, moved, and inspired, laughed and cried, tears streaming down my cheeks, with the incredibly articulate presentation of this experience by Jill Bolte Taylor.

What a gift this presentation is.

Dennis

write4change
26th January 2011, 21:06
I would like to thank everyone for this thread. I have never seen this before. It gave me such understanding of so many things, as well as, my own process.

On August 1, 200l, I was kicked in the face by a horse and woke up in the ER with no memory of anything, including who I was. I was 58 and without family or heirs. Thus, my life was determined to be effectively over. I was treated only palitively. In the next two years, I lost a 1.5 million dollar property and all my assets.

Gradually, I came to my senses. What really helps me with this from this film clip is that it took her 8 years with her being younger and highly treated. I find that on a daily basis I recover more. Seeing this I realize that a part of me has remained highly resentful about the way I was treated but now I see it probably did not matter. And that like Jill, it was an experience that while difficult is cherished.

One of things I learned was patience and compassion on a whole different level. For me when I had none. Thus, I had no genuinefor anyone else because you never really give what you do not have.I have no idea what this will look like. I was rehabbed on windows 3.1 and I do not understand a lot of this stuff on this site.

I also knew that I tended to be an intellectual snob and I consciously worked to tone it down but it was there. My gift in many ways was that I always tested out in the top 1%. Thus, when I lost 20% I still had 80% to function with. No one knows but me how much I lost and how much I gained. Because I know no one who really interacted with me prior to all this.

What I can say is that 2008 began a time of a syncronicity of miracles. Finding this site feels like coming home. I expect and can feel more miracles happening.

One of the things I noticed is that LA was almost completely out of water. We were not predicted to receive a lot of rain. Yet, in December we got 13 days of continual slow small dropping rain that filled everything up and took nothing down. A gift of time to think and to do. Maybe from prayer and maybe for more prayer.

Again my deep appreciation for this thread and this clip. I will remember it and cherish it.

Kindling
27th January 2011, 00:45
Fascinating, Write4change!! So glad the video was posted since you haven't seen it before. Thanks so much for sharing your story!

Dennis, I wondered if anyone else thought of Jill when they watched that LSD video - the way she talked about not being able to tell the difference between herself and everything else. Awesome :-).

TheTwo
13th February 2011, 19:51
I was about to post the same video, as i came across this yesterday and it moved me from inside out :)

......."Check if already posted" is a useful feature......

bump for great video!

:)

mescalitto
29th December 2012, 00:22
Jill Bolte Taylor got a research opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: She had a massive stroke, and watched as her brain functions -- motion, speech, self-awareness -- shut down one by one. An astonishing story.

Brain researcher Jill Bolte Taylor studied her own stroke as it happened -- and has become a powerful voice for brain recovery.

I do not know if this has ever been posted (Apologies if it has) , but this video i found is an astonishing insight not only into how the brain functions but also an insight (through Jill's own very detailed experiences) into what happens when our brains shut down and we leave our physical body. For me a MUST watch

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.htm l?fb_ref=talk

Carmen
29th December 2012, 00:26
Yes it has, ages ago. But it's well worth re-Threading.

Have the tissues ready though!

DeDukshyn
29th December 2012, 00:47
I have the Ted talks add-on for XBMC (my living room media center software) ;) I'll check this one out later in my recliner ;)

Thanks!

sigma6
29th December 2012, 02:15
Can totally relate, her story reminds me of an experience I had after taking lysergic acid diethylamide. You can very clearly see how incredibly insecure people are. Everyone's feelings are completely transparent. You see the quiet desperation, and how it is sucking all their energy. It reminded me of a scared hamster or gerbil. You want to reach out and say "Hey you are surrounded by love and joy, just share this moment with me, feel this peace and joy. We can create it by simply choosing it" What people don't understand is that it creates something real that affects the real world around you. But they can't get outside of their limited experience.

And the experience is so breathtaking and beautiful and you can feel every muscle in your body. We should all have access to this experience.

Knowrainknowrainbows!
29th December 2012, 02:45
I am soooo glad to see this thread revisited. I watched Dr. Taylor on "Oprah" show a couple years ago ... Inspirational. She has a brother diagnosed with schizophrenia and is an advocate for NAMI (National alliance on Mental Illness).

... A neuroanatomist who was very alert/aware and even intrigued as she was undergoing the "process" of a stroke. She shares the surreal and spiritual/etheral events and her contemplation of the experience. What credibility and "insight" indeed!

This is a must watch for all ... science-minded and/or spiritually intuitives alike!

KRKR
:cheer2:

Star Tsar
29th December 2012, 17:03
I desire the same world as Dr Jill Bolte Taylor and feel the same level of upset that it is not that way!