PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: virus on Facebook

Johnny
22nd November 2016, 10:12
Hello.

I could not see anything about this virus in the forum:

A whole new kind of virus cocktail abound right now on Facebook. Expert warns against a new and very dangerous development.

Alarm bells are probably quite silent in most of us when our mother, son, friend or colleague sends an image on Facebook.

Some might hesitates at the strange format svg. But I wonder if you just wanted to see what was in the picture anyway.

And so is the damage already done.
New format cheats safety nets

The image files comprise namely a new type of virus that is currently plaguing Facebook. The extent we do not know exactly, but IT expert Peter Kruse from security firm CSIS dare promise that over 10,000 people have been affected worldwide - and the figure is probably much higher.

- It is difficult to assess, but I've certainly already been contacted by several my friends. It looks like that the organizers have succeeded in getting global foothold for it, he said to TV 2nd

The file appears quite harmless with a photo icon followed by the text 'photosmart' subscores four or five digits a period and svg letters. In the photo at the top of the article you can see an example of how it might look.

- It is a relatively new format, which has not been used for virus before. This means that it circumvents Facebook's own safety, says Peter Kruse.
Locks your data fast

Clicking svg file, two things happen. The first is that the virus infects your Facebook account and sends svg file on to your friends. The second is that it infects your computer and lock all your data fast. If you do not have a backup, there in case nothing else to do but to pay the traffickers in 2500 kroner to lock up again.

- It is completely new to see this here combination of svg files and ransomware (a software that blocks a computer, ed.). And there are constantly new mutations of it so it has a very potent potential for spreading, warns Peter Kruse.

He is also concerned about the increasing incidence of viral on social media, especially Facebook.

- We come unfortunately to see more of it here on the platforms. We must get used to that virus no longer only come via emails and websites, he says.

The problem with svg files are particularly bad in the Chrome browser. If you accidentally click on the file you have in a short period an opportunity to salvage the situation by going into the browser settings and delete the additions called either UBO or ONE before ransomwaren when spreading.

Confirmed! #Locky Spreading on #Facebook through #Nemucod camouflaged as .svg file. Bypassed FB file whitelist. https://t.co/WYRE6BlXIF pic.twitter.com/jgKs29zcaG
- Peter Kruse (@peterkruse) November 20, 2016

source:http://nyheder.tv2.dk/tech/2016-11-22-ny-farlig-virus-du-maa-ikke-klikke-paa-den-her-fil-paa-facebook

Johnny :)

Johnny
22nd November 2016, 12:03
Here is some more information:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/facebook-spam-campaign-spreading-nemucod-downloader-and-locky-ransomware/

Johnny :)

Akasha
22nd November 2016, 12:22
Facebook IS a virus

Clear Light
22nd November 2016, 12:52
Facebook IS a virus

Ah ... yes and no, in that I reckon it depends on how you view Facebook ... like whether or not you are using it or it is using you eh ? :wink:

¤=[Post Update]=¤

But the biggest problem with FB, as I see it, is that it reinforces the notion of the "separate self" right ?