PDA

View Full Version : Researchers "Translate" Bat Talk

Frankie Pancakes
27th December 2016, 13:18
Researchers "Translate" Bat Talk. Turns Out, They Argue—A Lot

A machine learning algorithm helped decode the squeaks Egyptian fruit bats make in their roost, revealing that they "speak" to one another as individuals.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/researchers-translate-bat-talk-and-they-argue-lot-180961564/

mojo
27th December 2016, 17:36
They certainly are amazing mammals and makes sense when other documentaries have shown us how the parents recognize their baby when returning to a roost. In past work with an tool called the Anabat detector you can hear all the different bat calls in real time and found some bats you can hear without the detector. The professor I worked with would use mist nets to capture band and release them. Most eat half their body weight in insects each night, about 1200 bugs per hour...

mojo
27th December 2016, 17:44
The fruit bats always had the cutest faces

WVz8rvIl_vY

AutumnW
28th December 2016, 00:38
An animals intelligence is almost directly proportional to how many of their species they have to interact with, in close proximity. Socializing and language are remarkably complex.

As well, recent genetic studies show that flying foxes or fruit bats are actually more closely related to prosimians, like lemurs, than they are to smaller bats.

I would have to check this out but I think it's fruit bats that form the largest flocks of any animals.