PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Getting Ready to Pass Bill to Allow Your Internet Privacy to be Removed

Fellow Aspirant
27th March 2017, 04:52
If you are an American citizen, you may be able to stop this bill from being passed.
It's been in the works for some time now, and vote is going to be taken very soon.

Click on the pic a couple of times to get a very readable image:

This is a pic of a full page notice taken out by a VPN provider. You can avoid losing the little privacy you now possess by getting the bill quashed (good luck!) or availing yourself of the services of a VPN provider.

Here's a link to an article that explains the background on this, and the current state of affairs regarding the resolution:

https://www.cnet.com/news/online-privacy-what-you-need-to-know-faq/

Here's the last paragraph:

What's next?

There are a number of ways this could play out. Sen. Flake's newly introduced resolution would use the Congressional Review Act to kill the privacy regulation. Supporters of the FCC privacy rules point out that using this law to erase the FCC's privacy rules would permanently prohibit the FCC from adopting any broadband privacy rules that are "substantially similar" to those adopted last year.

This doesn't mean that Congress couldn't take additional action to protect privacy. It could also pass a new law putting the FTC back in charge of regulating privacy for broadband. The FCC is reviewing the rules after several companies filed petitions to have the regulation thrown out. If Flake's bill isn't passed, the FCC could start proceedings to dismantle the rules, too.

It's also possible that Congress or the FCC will undo the net neutrality regulation and return broadband to its previous classification, which would put the FTC back in charge of broadband privacy.

In any case, it's unlikely the rules that were passed by Democrats, who controlled the FCC in October, will ever go into effect.

Regardless of whether you think the FCC or the FTC should be the top cop policing internet privacy, the issue of online security isn't going away anytime soon.

First published March 8 at 5:00 a.m. PT.

Update, 8:39 a.m. PT: This story was updated with news that Sen. Jeff Flake, a Republican from Arizona, introduced a resolution late Tuesday evening to kill FCC privacy rules using the Congressional Review Act.

B.

RunningDeer
27th March 2017, 10:04
Thanks Fellow Aspirant. Here's a blow-up of the names and 5 likely uses of our browser history.

http://avalonlibrary.net/paula/General/Privacy-Bill_zps6msenfap.JPG

US Senate votes to let broadband ISPs sell your browser histories
Snipet of the articl (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/23/senate_votes_to_let_isps_sell_browser_histories/)e:

With ISPs now given carte blanche to use their customers' data pretty much however they want, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) put together some highly likely and deeply worrying uses that will now be made of your data.

They include:

Selling your location and personal information to marketers: this is something that some ISPs do now but are loathe to admit because they fear a consumer backlash. With this vote, companies no longer have to fear that. Everyone will do it.

Hijacking searches: You may find that a search for a particular object sees you automatically redirected to a company offering that product – a company that paid your ISP for that traffic and which is most likely not offering the best deal.

Inserting ads: we've all experienced the creepy situation where ads for something you were looking at a few days ago keep popping up on other websites like Facebook. Well, that may become the norm as ISPs sell your information to eager businesses looking for customers.

Installing apps on your phone that track you: when researchers discovered an app called Carrier IQ on phones, which sent data on what apps you use and what websites you visit, people were justifiably upset. It was put there by many people's mobile phone provider. And it won't be the last of it.

Undetectable tracking code: wherever you go, whatever you do, your ISP will be watching you. And you can't turn it off – even if you go to the trouble of using some browsers' "incognito" mode, your ISPs will still know where you are going online and when. And will then sell that data to anyone willing to pay what they charge.

If all that sounds like a dystopian nightmare, tell the 50 Republican senators that voted for it, and the hundreds of Republican representatives that will most likely approve the resolution in the House soon, allowing it to become law. They will tell you it's about freedom.

Freedom, that is, for people-corporations, not human-people.®

If you are an American citizen, you may be able to stop this bill from being passed.

Fellow Aspirant
27th March 2017, 17:02
Well said, RunningDeer.

And thanks for the "blowup". I've made the 'click on' line more noticeable as well, just in case people miss it. :bigsmile:

Brian

AutumnW
27th March 2017, 19:23
Trump, the great man of peace, working diligently against the 'deep state,' could kill this, couldn't he?

I have a vision of Trump, aglow with the light of God, riding a mighty white steed into congress and vanquishing this bill. And I bet he will be full of 'righteous indignation', too. He will smite them, hip and thigh. Just watch!

Helene West
27th March 2017, 19:59
Anyone interested in Fair and Balanced? LOL

What the repubs are doing is the opposite of what the OP is putting out there. article and video below:

Flake Introduces Resolution to Protect Consumers from Overreaching Internet Regulation
Posted on Mar 07 2017

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), chairman of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law, today introduced a resolution to repeal economically harmful broadband regulations issued by the Obama administration.

The resolution would not change or lessen existing consumer privacy regulations. It is intended to block an attempt by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to expand its regulatory jurisdiction and impose prescriptive data restrictions on internet service providers. These restrictions have the potential to negatively impact consumers and the future of internet innovation.

Flake’s resolution would provide for congressional disapproval of the FCC rule under the Congressional Review Act, a 1996 law that empowers Congress to repeal federal regulations. The resolution would also prevent the FCC from issuing similarly harmful regulations in the future.

“The FCC's midnight regulation does nothing to protect consumer privacy. It is unnecessary, confusing and adds yet another innovation-stifling regulation to the internet,” said Flake. “My resolution is the first step toward restoring the FTC's light-touch, consumer-friendly approach. It will not change or lessen existing consumer privacy protections. It empowers consumers to make informed choices on if and how their data can be shared.”

On March 1, 2017, Flake wrote an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal laying out his argument for the resolution. View the op-ed here.

S.J. Res. 34 co-sponsors include: U.S. Sens. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), John Boozman (R-Ark.), Shelly Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), Thad Cochran (R-Miss.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Deb Fischer (R-Neb.), Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Dean Heller (R-Nev.), James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), Dan Sullivan (R-Ark.), John Thune (R-S.D.), Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.), and Jerry Moran (R-Kan.).

Background:

On Jan. 29, 2016, Flake sent a letter to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler expressing concerns that the FCC is overreaching its authority with its planned broadband regulations. The signed letter can be viewed here.
On May 11, 2016, Flake chaired a Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law hearing seeking answers on the legality of the proposed FCC rules and the consequences for consumers and the future of the internet. More information on the hearing can be found here.
At the same hearing, current FCC Chairman and then-FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai testified in support of Flake’s efforts to prevent the privacy regulation. Video of that exchange can be viewed here.
https://youtu.be/YVpXF9kPYpI

AutumnW
27th March 2017, 20:11
Anyone interested in Fair and Balanced? LOL

What the repubs are doing is the opposite of what the OP is putting out there. article and video below:

Flake Introduces Resolution to Protect Consumers from Overreaching Internet Regulation
Posted on Mar 07 2017

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), chairman of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law, today introduced a resolution to repeal economically harmful broadband regulations issued by the Obama administration.

The resolution would not change or lessen existing consumer privacy regulations. It is intended to block an attempt by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to expand its regulatory jurisdiction and impose prescriptive data restrictions on internet service providers. These restrictions have the potential to negatively impact consumers and the future of internet innovation.

Flake’s resolution would provide for congressional disapproval of the FCC rule under the Congressional Review Act, a 1996 law that empowers Congress to repeal federal regulations. The resolution would also prevent the FCC from issuing similarly harmful regulations in the future.

“The FCC's midnight regulation does nothing to protect consumer privacy. It is unnecessary, confusing and adds yet another innovation-stifling regulation to the internet,” said Flake. “My resolution is the first step toward restoring the FTC's light-touch, consumer-friendly approach. It will not change or lessen existing consumer privacy protections. It empowers consumers to make informed choices on if and how their data can be shared.”

On March 1, 2017, Flake wrote an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal laying out his argument for the resolution. View the op-ed here.

S.J. Res. 34 co-sponsors include: U.S. Sens. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), John Boozman (R-Ark.), Shelly Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), Thad Cochran (R-Miss.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Deb Fischer (R-Neb.), Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Dean Heller (R-Nev.), James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), Dan Sullivan (R-Ark.), John Thune (R-S.D.), Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.), and Jerry Moran (R-Kan.).

Background:

On Jan. 29, 2016, Flake sent a letter to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler expressing concerns that the FCC is overreaching its authority with its planned broadband regulations. The signed letter can be viewed here.
On May 11, 2016, Flake chaired a Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law hearing seeking answers on the legality of the proposed FCC rules and the consequences for consumers and the future of the internet. More information on the hearing can be found here.
At the same hearing, current FCC Chairman and then-FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai testified in support of Flake’s efforts to prevent the privacy regulation. Video of that exchange can be viewed here.
https://youtu.be/YVpXF9kPYpI

You have to do a LOT of reading between the lines, nowadays. A lot of deception through obfuscation.

Fellow Aspirant
28th March 2017, 03:22
Re:

Speaking of obfuscation, this is a complete twist of reality. Just how will making the Internet Service Providers more accountable about how they use our private info hurt their profits? Oh yeah, I forgot: for the multi-nationals, it's all about profits. The citizens' rights count for nothing, if selling our private info feeds their insatiable greed.

And in addition, the Repubs get to undo yet another Obama regulation. Win! Win!

B.

Helene West
28th March 2017, 03:49
Re:

Speaking of obfuscation, this is a complete twist of reality. Just how will making the Internet Service Providers more accountal about how they use our private info hurt their profits? Oh yeah, I forgot: for the multi-nationals, it's all about profits. The citizens' rights count for nothing, if selling our private info feeds their insatiable greed.

And in addition, the Repubs bet to undo yet another Obama regulation. Win! Win!

B.

Your friend Obama will spend his life in service to the elites for his fame and fortune similar to the clintons. FCC means fed gov and fed gov is many times a cover for the elites, international and corporate. Citizens have economic needs as well as corporations, try not to let the word economic just be a repub/anti-trump trigger...

AutumnW
28th March 2017, 15:25
Helene, It's depressing. We know. Those who have suffered under both both the right (Obama, fascist light) and the far right, (Trump) in your country are having their hopes dashed. I am really sorry, for you and everyone else who has been duped for votes.

All I can suggest is that you not waste energy on supporting a pathocracy, either right or far right. Hunker down, get close to those in your community, learn survival skills and prepare for the worst.

Fellow Aspirant
30th March 2017, 05:13
Re:

Speaking of obfuscation, this is a complete twist of reality. Just how will making the Internet Service Providers more accountal about how they use our private info hurt their profits? Oh yeah, I forgot: for the multi-nationals, it's all about profits. The citizens' rights count for nothing, if selling our private info feeds their insatiable greed.

And in addition, the Repubs bet to undo yet another Obama regulation. Win! Win!

B.

Your friend Obama will spend his life in service to the elites for his fame and fortune similar to the clintons. FCC means fed gov and fed gov is many times a cover for the elites, international and corporate. Citizens have economic needs as well as corporations, try not to let the word economic just be a repub/anti-trump trigger...

Please forget I mentioned Obama - his name is obviously too much of a trigger for you. Forget him. FYI I hail from the Great White North and was ineligible to vote for him. But if he wanted to have a beer with me, I'd do it.

The purpose of my post was to alert Americans to the imminent demise of a large portion of their personal, online privacy. If you are concerned about having your search history sold off to the highest bidder, then you can still do something about stopping the bill.

And yes, this means contacting your state's senators, especially if he is one on the list of the Republicans who are in favour of it.

Good luck

B.

Praxis
31st March 2017, 02:03
Helene, We live in a different reality I think. I watched the same video you did and I dont see how you think this is something good for the average user. Yes this is good for ISP which is why they gave so much money to have this happen.

Perfect example happens at minute 18. Mr Pai starts talking about how it is unfair that google knows EVERYTHING about you because of the services you use with them, NOT you (du) but rather you (Sie) sorry english doesnt differentiate between the two. Then he says, oooo poor poor ISP doesnt have the same access so they cant make that dollar dollar bill off your habits and info. You are defending that. WHeeler makes an excellent point that you elect to use google but your choice in ISP is far more limited, if not a monopoly.

The tribalism that many show on this website is astounding. Super deep into the esoteric and occult with a deep understand of the conspiratorial nature of humans in generally and government in specific and still people are quick to jump on team Democract, or more precisely for this site TEAM REPUBLICAN. QUI BONO. Follow the money and you will see who this was for and why. IF you werent a part of the conversation or have money in the game, it wasnt for you.

All this talk off online marketplace, encryption, and edge providers, might be overloading your semantic processing ability with too many new lexical items. I am in the same boat, I had to google several times just the understand what they were talking about. I didnt know what an edge provider was before that video. But once I did and if you are patient and listen very carefully to what these windbags are saying is very bad for the user. People hear the word regulation and have a knee jerk reaction to it.

Lets put this in an example you might be more moved by: telephones.

Basically, what the R are trying to do is let the telephone companies not only know who you are calling, but listen to the calls as well and then sell that as advertising info to make money of you using their service. Does that sound ok to you for phone calls?

YOu need to watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1vbscpEvCY . If You, this time you Helene specifically, disagree that internet should be a common carrier and treated like a utility then you shouldnt be allowed to use the internet as it currently is and should wait until the TIERED INTERNET is rolled out. Which is exactly what Flake says at about 4 minutes in the video i Linked. This is all about "new" products the ISP wants to push, which is the tiered internet.

What the ISP really want and the endgame is; YOUTUBE pays comcast for PREMIUM internet connection so all users get fast data to and from youtube. PRoject Avalon doesnt agree, I am assuming but Bill and CO and correct me if I am wrong on this account, dont pay for that premium tier as they disagree and so all data to and from this website becomes super slow as it is not preferenced by the ISP. Now coming here takes a day just to load and read simple text while youtube steams 1080p movies with no problem.