PDA

View Full Version : bear encounter vid shows the speed...

mojo
27th April 2017, 21:15
My two grizz encounters in Alaska ended well, as both times the animal could have easily grabbed whole of me but didn't. Once in a kayak on the mighty Yukon the bear stuck his head out of the willows while floating arms distance past him...whew...Another in Denali while coming out the tent 8 feet away.. we both jumped... In this video the grizzlycomes out from the bikers blind spot and fortunately has time to use the speed of the bike but a road blockage almost causes a dangerous closer encounter. An amazing timing .. a gunshot rings out...

The speed the grizzly keeps and maintains is surprising.

eK0pO79YkvY

Axman
27th April 2017, 21:29
Well you wont out run him on foot that's fur sure. that will pump you up.

The Axman

mojo
27th April 2017, 21:37
Funny you mentioned running...When I was coming out of the tent, my ex-wife was still inside, she thought I was kidding her about the bear until she peeked out the dome tent. All those things she had just read in the Park newspaper about, "What to do in a bear encounter," must have flown from her memory as she made a mad hundred yard dash out of the tent!

DeDukshyn
27th April 2017, 21:55
I'm not sure I would have even ran (or biked) at all ... bears can really sense fear ... and confidence, and often react accordingly. Note when the guy stopped running -- the bear got a bit spooked and stopped chasing, and took off -- he was just curious.

If you've ever seen a brave house cat chase off bears, you can see how they really do sense confidence ... easier said than done tho ... :)

justntime2learn
27th April 2017, 22:55
That was an awesome video!

Maybe the bear was just playing? If so, looks like the bear was having a good time but I'm not so sure about the biker.

Sounded like gunshots in the distance at the end and was wondering if that scared off the bear...

Shannon
28th April 2017, 00:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uXqHILjsmY

This is a fake. Sorry guys.

justntime2learn
28th April 2017, 00:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uXqHILjsmY

This is a fake. Sorry guys.

Thank you Shannon :heart:

Not sure how you know and things didn't quite add up for me but it was a fun ride :)

Shannon
28th April 2017, 00:48
Omg my heart was pounding. Lol

pyrangello
28th April 2017, 01:43
Well the fake guy video seems to lend some credence to the bear could have been super imposed. But real that biker did a really good job of peddling his axx off riding that bike like he stole it. Good entertainment!

Mandala
28th April 2017, 02:16
Don't know if the bear was playing around, having fun or what. I wouldn't want to be there to find out. Don't they keep their prey alive as long as possible while they eat?

DeDukshyn
28th April 2017, 03:28
Don't know if the bear was playing around, having fun or what. I wouldn't want to be there to find out. Don't they keep their prey alive as long as possible while they eat?

That would be your average house cat ... :) BTW the vid may have been faked, apparantly, although the argument isn't 100% in my mind.

The claim is that the video is faked because the bear didn't see him and didn't eat him. I grew up around a lot of bears and bears don't eat people. They are very generally curious and playful animals, but they don't eat humans and won't even try unless starving to death.

When I was in grade 2, I recall always attempting to get as close to the bears on the "mile long" walk to the school bus stop (true story), that were eating snakes and frogs that were "sunning" themselves (reptiles and amphibians need external heat - laying out on a road does it for them) on the gravel road. I would always try approach slowly and with respect -- the bears never let me get closer than about 30 feet, then they just buggered off -- abandoning their meal. Keep in mind I'm a small child at this age ... :) I grew up in a position to not fear nature though - I used to handle snakes all the time and never got bit once ... by a snake at least :)

Shannon
28th April 2017, 04:29

That would be your average house cat ... :) BTW the vid may have been faked, apparantly, although the argument isn't 100% in my mind.

The claim is that the video is faked because the bear didn't see him and didn't eat him. I grew up around a lot of bears and bears don't eat people. They are very generally curious and playful animals, but they don't eat humans and won't even try unless starving to death.

When I was in grade 2, I recall always attempting to get as close to the bears on the "mile long" walk to the school bus stop (true story), that were eating snakes and frogs that were "sunning" themselves (reptiles and amphibians need external heat - laying out on a road does it for them) on the gravel road. I would always try approach slowly and with respect -- the bears never let me get closer than about 30 feet, then they just buggered off -- abandoning their meal. Keep in mind I'm a small child at this age ... :) I grew up in a position to not fear nature though - I used to handle snakes all the time and never got bit once ... by a snake at least :)

The claim that the video is fake isn't because the bear didn't eat him, it's that image has no motion blur because it is super imposed. There's a few red flags if you look close that aren't mentioned in the video I posted. The log looked so planted to me. Just had to be there lol.

DeDukshyn
28th April 2017, 05:12

The claim that the video is fake isn't because the bear didn't eat him, it's that image has no motion blur because it is super imposed. There's a few red flags if you look close that aren't mentioned in the video I posted. The log looked so planted to me. Just had to be there lol.

Yeah your right ... I wasn't paying attention at all except to that one part ... :(

Mark (Star Mariner)
28th April 2017, 14:16
Whilst watching this, and before looking at the replies, I was thinking that this was fake, and wondering whether anyone else would agree. Glad I won't have to stand alone on this one! What gave it away for me was the sharpness and significantly brighter contrast of the bear against the soft background - which often blurred as the camera moved, though the bear did not. So, CGI, but pretty well done. And in a bear chase, why abandon the bike? Didn't seem logical to me. Sure, negotiate your way around the log, but then get the heck moving again!

Was good fun though. I was reminded of the T-rex chase in Jurassic Park, and Jeff Goldblum saying, "Must go faster, must go faster..."

Carmody
28th April 2017, 15:36
This is why (if it was real)we always went into the woods with two people minimum, and one carried a scatter gun, and the other carried a high power repeater rifle.

One to scare the bear if necessary (scatter gun) and the other to wound to kill (high powered repeater), if necessary. Where I'm from, it was all scrub brush, so encounters were generally via sound, from yards away. warning space and times to think...were close to zero.

http://www.laspilitas.com/images/grid24_12/12144/images/southern-oak-woodland.jpg

Shannon
28th April 2017, 16:04
Yeah your right ... I wasn't paying attention at all except to that one part ... :(

More often than not, I'm wrong and proficient in not paying attention. :) ❤️

7alon
29th April 2017, 07:57
Yeah I was about to post the same thing as Shannon. Definitely fake. I know a lot about common wild life such as bears, so as soon as I saw the bear not gaining on the cyclist, I thought 'yeah, nah'. :ROFL:

Atlas
29th April 2017, 08:16
A Cameraman's Wild Encounter With Bears in Alaska
4ZkuN7QPN-U