PDA

View Full Version : Questers Unlimited - Now Active

LadyKitt
28th June 2017, 02:41
We're open for creating new discussion threads. Anyone can post to this public group as membership is not a requirement. Although I'm quite pleased to report that we do have three members already! :sun:

We hope that all thread creators will at least select a main topic of discussion as an advisory of the preferred topic and focus of the thread, yet understanding that the discussions might wander anywhere, even off topic. :idea:

To post a new thread to Questers Unlimited, go to the group's main page, then scroll down. Towards the bottom of the page on the right is a "Post New Discussion" button. Click on that and off you go. :happy dog:

Whoops! Here's the link. (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/group.php?groupid=143)

Pam
28th June 2017, 12:45
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just create your threads under the already established topics? I think there is a topic to cover just about everything. Whats the point of creating a mini forum within the forum? Like I said, maybe I have totally missed the point.

wnlight
28th June 2017, 13:34
I understand that the main reason for the Questers Unlimited group is to allow the freedom to digress in postings there and to encourage wandering far from the original topic. I have subscribed to the Questers Unlimited group. Looking forward to some interesting conversations, I wish success for this group.

Now I digress a little: I have also dropped out of three groups that simply are not active. I had joined just to see what was happening in those groups - but nothing. Perhaps the moderators should delete inactive groups after 12 or 18 months? I don't see the purpose of leaving them there as relics of disinterest.

BTW: Those three groups that I left now show "active" as of yesterday - the only activity being my leaving! :-(

Pam
28th June 2017, 13:51
Thanks for your explanation, wnlight!

LadyKitt
28th June 2017, 16:43
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just create your threads under the already established topics? I think there is a topic to cover just about everything. Whats the point of creating a mini forum within the forum? Like I said, maybe I have totally missed the point.

Mostly the drawbacks, as I see them, in posting discussion threads under already established topics are twofold:

1. Anyone wishing to participate in the researching aspects would have to be super careful in also participating in a discussion thread to keep that particular thread's protocols clearly in focus. Jumping from a restrictive posting set of protocols directly to unfettered discussions might begin to blur the lines, and the more restricted threads could well begin to become lax in posting habits due to crossover. By segregating the conversational discussion threads under a separate classification the benefits become clear in that the members will be making a psychological transition which would afford them the opportunity to relax their minds, as it were, while returning to the more formal thread will again provide an opportunity to transition intellectually as well.

Best analogy I can use is to think of attending high school cramming three to five classes and a study hall into the semester. Each person must psychologically cleanse the brain of the most recent class's subject and begin warming up to the next one. Whereas the study hall is an environment where all topics are permitted to flow freely in the student's mind. Except in the case of Questers Unlimited, which would be vocal study halls.

2. The other drawback that I see would be in trying to find existing established threads on which to piggyback a discussion thread. Quite a few of the topic specific threads are inactive at the moment. Speaking for myself, simply starting a new topic specific discussion thread without having to spend time hunting through the archives would be far preferable.

Hope I've effectively addressed your concerns. :)

pabranno
28th June 2017, 17:43
Speaking only for myself, I am excited about participating.
The format addresses issues I myself have, not being fully informed on topics that have been covered in-depth and with fastidious research by our many committed members here.
I am not up to your level, and I don't have and/or take the time to follow so many links down the rabbit hole.
I am ashamed about that, but I am limited in many ways.

Having said that, I do follow as much as I can, and my perspective has expanded by magnitudes.
I am so very grateful for the sweat and effort our members offer freely to others here.

I have also observed people replying to posts, only to be told that's already been addressed at length and go look it up.
Usually that is said in a kind way: not always though.

In a nutshell: Having joined the Questors Unlimited Group, I feel freer posting because I don't feel I have to be a genius to post.
:sun:

Nasu
28th June 2017, 22:34
So the point of this is that there is no point? Only things off point? Or have I got lost? With the greatest respect you have explained a lot about what this Questers Unlimited Group is about, I'm just not sure if I get it. You could have started a thread called "Off Topic Late-Night Chat" or something more to your choosing, but something that half way explains what it does, perhaps. What is a quester, limited or unlimited?

Also, as a side note I too have noticed the lack luster performance of groups here, not all but many. I think it will always be a challenge getting people like us, like the Avalon community, to join any groups. By our very presence we show defiance of the idea of groups, boxes, pigeon holes, etc, etc. As someone much funnier once said, I would never join any group that would have ME as a member...

But if we are just chatting about anything with like minded souls, couldn't we just do that via a group email?

I'll get the ball rolling, ghost companions, how can they exist? For example, I understand the headless horseman lost his head somehow, but how's the horse there with him? Did it have a heart attack or get shot at the exact same moment perhaps? Hope this isn't too far off topic?;)

Anyway, I support you and any idea's that promote community, even ones that I don't fully understand....x..... N

LadyKitt
29th June 2017, 02:44
So the point of this is that there is no point? Only things off point? Or have I got lost? With the greatest respect you have explained a lot about what this Questers Unlimited Group is about, I'm just not sure if I get it. You could have started a thread called "Off Topic Late-Night Chat" or something more to your choosing, but something that half way explains what it does, perhaps.

I'm at a loss as to how to explain any further, short of standing on my head and repeating the extensive descriptions with which I've responded to date. ;)

What is a quester, limited or unlimited?

Oh heavens, surely this Forum's members, if anyone, understand the nature of questing as a compelling yearning for answers. Or are you just playing with me now?

Also, as a side note I too have noticed the lack luster performance of groups here, not all but many. I think it will always be a challenge getting people like us, like the Avalon community, to join any groups. By our very presence we show defiance of the idea of groups, boxes, pigeon holes, etc, etc. As someone much funnier once said, I would never join any group that would have ME as a member...

I understand. Yet let me ask some questions of you and all the senior members following this discussion who care to respond:

Since the rules here do allow the creation of groups (and their current status is inconsequential to this discussion), what happened this time that caused so many here to question if there is a need for such a group?

Search the archives. When those other groups were created there was hardly even a blip in the Force to be noted. Why now?

The very concept of unlimited questing is de rigueur here, but in a more formal manner. Is the problem that in encouraging less rigorous conversations the fear is that this would result in the forum being dumbed down?

And also, look at my own experience in attempting to create a specialized group, again as the rules allow, how on earth is this going to look to future new members? Good heavens, if operating respectfully and courteously within the rules and FAQs of this forum still results in almost seeming a coordinated pushback, which stepped at times too closely to the line of decency, what new person would dare to consider participating here until they had seniority themselves.

But if we are just chatting about anything with like minded souls, couldn't we just do that via a group email?

Perhaps, except then our email boxes would instantly be clogged each time a new group email discussion was started, and other members who missed the beginning would not be able to find it to join in.

[......................................]

Finally, given the high rate of loss of newbies, wouldn't it possibly be a good idea to fashion a new approach for engaging new -and- old members who perhaps feel inadequate regarding participation in serious research?

Anyway, I support you and any idea's that promote community, even ones that I don't fully understand....x..... N

Thank you kindly.

AutumnW
29th June 2017, 03:46
Hi Lady Kitt,

Perhaps your initial post came across as a desire to improve the forum -- which may have rubbed some people the wrong way. Also, the description of your subgroup was a bit amorphous. It took me a while to grasp it.

It strikes me as funny that any newbie should stand trembling at the gates of Avalon, worried about posting among sage deep thinkers. I think many people here are kind of goofy eccentrics who feel they are, in their own way, beginners too.

But...if there is a fairly large cohort of mewbies who feel intimidated and your subgroup helps, well bravo and congrats! You are creating a niche and filling it.:clapping:

LadyKitt
29th June 2017, 04:22
[...............................................................]

My goodness, do you remember the welcoming message you sent me? The second paragraph says:

"This place may seem big and intimidating at first and that's only natural, but you are now in the midst of the biggest group of caring, loving and helpful individuals I've ever had the honor to be a part of, so worry and fear not and jump right in!"

Hmmmm, looks like I took that quite literally and jumped, right into the deep end of the pool. :bigsmile:

LadyKitt
29th June 2017, 04:44
[...........]

Perhaps your initial post came across as a desire to improve the forum -- which may have rubbed some people the wrong way. Also, the description of your subgroup was a bit amorphous. It took me a while to grasp it.

In another post you admitted to being mistaken about my explanations. Isn't it quite possible that you have mischaracterized my activities from the get-go?

It strikes me as funny that any newbie should stand trembling at the gates of Avalon, worried about posting among sage deep thinkers. I think many people here are kind of goofy eccentrics who feel they are, in their own way, beginners too.

Again, perhaps you have mistakenly dismissed such expressions, although I, personally, try to avoid snarkyness when describing such posts. There were enough hesitations expressed, that I read at least, to suggest that creating conversational threads might have value.

But...if there is a fairly large cohort of mewbies who feel intimidated and your subgroup helps, well bravo and congrats! You are creating a niche and filling it.:clapping:

Check it out. We already have a most interesting discussion (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/group.php?discussionid=818&do=discuss) going.:sun:

Ultima Thule
29th June 2017, 04:58
Ladykitt - the way I see it and why it won't necessarily need more complexity:
Avalon is like a fractal image, at this present state one can (somewhat) see all there is at a glance and yet delve deep into a particularly interesting fractal "arm" of the whole image.

The way I see it, your efforts may not be in harmony with this fractality - your discussion adds more detail onto a level that cannot be seen at a glance, detail that may not serve the functionality of the structure, but instead may add noise to a "wrong" level in the fractal branches of this Forum - whereas the very same topics added to the existing structure would serve all in an interesting way.

UT

LadyKitt
29th June 2017, 13:03
Avalon is like a fractal image, at this present state one can (somewhat) see all there is at a glance and yet delve deep into a particularly interesting fractal "arm" of the whole image.

Hello, UT. Your objections are fully understandable and reasonable. The best way I can respond is to request that you to go read the thread that has already been started in the new group (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/group.php?discussionid=818&do=discuss).

And I ask you: Do you really believe that members who create a serious exploratory thread would tolerate other members jumping in and engaging in the types of discussions going on in Questers Unlimited? There would be a request to stay on topic or take it to a PM, at the very least.

As for ease of accessibility, subscribing to the discussion threads are just as easy as subscribing to regular threads. The regular threads fall under categories. The groups are pretty much categories themselves. Once you go to the discussion in question, all you need do is subscribe to it, as you would do in subscribing to a regular thread. Then for following the discussion and possibly posting to that thread thereafter, just like with regular subscribed threads, it will appear on your personal 'settings' page. There you will receive a summary of your regular subscribed threads, immediately followed by discussion subscriptions titled: New Subscribed Discussions. No hunting around for it involved once you subscribe to it.

The need for a more relaxed environment to discuss specific topics yet feel free to also explore collateral topics was expressed marvelously by a new member who is now an active member of that group and who is also already active in the first discussion thread (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?98537-Questers-Unlimited-Now-Active):

Speaking only for myself, I am excited about participating.
The format addresses issues I myself have, not being fully informed on topics that have been covered in-depth and with fastidious research by our many committed members here.
I am not up to your level, and I don't have and/or take the time to follow so many links down the rabbit hole.
I am ashamed about that, but I am limited in many ways.

Having said that, I do follow as much as I can, and my perspective has expanded by magnitudes.
I am so very grateful for the sweat and effort our members offer freely to others here.

I have also observed people replying to posts, only to be told that's already been addressed at length and go look it up.
Usually that is said in a kind way: not always though.

In a nutshell: Having joined the Questors Unlimited Group, I feel freer posting because I don't feel I have to be a genius to post.

It hopefully won't be necessary for me to link to other new members' similar comments, and I am simply offering my opinion in that I personally read several.

As to your other stated objection:

The way I see it, your efforts may not be in harmony with this fractality - your discussion adds more detail onto a level that cannot be seen at a glance, detail that may not serve the functionality of the structure, but instead may add noise to a "wrong" level in thw fractal branches of this Forum - whereas the very same topics added to the existing structure would serve all in an interesting way. UT

I'm somewhat at a loss as to how to respond to this. Your perceptions of the structure of Avalon Forum are understandable, yet I think that once you are subscribed to individual discussions you may find that while the topics of the discussions may have been covered via research type threads, the broader borderless aspects of the conversations might actually have greatly disrupted the flow of the more formal regular related thread. Rather than risk causing constant irritations and disruptions, IMHO a separate category should be a viable alternative, especially for members who have no interest whatsoever in participating in that type of thread format.

Thank you for voicing your objections. I respect directness and honesty in communications, and appreciated your post as it covered new territory in the judging of the viability of a Questers Unlimited group here in the Forum.

LadyKitt

Camilo
29th June 2017, 14:01
I've seen this before and know how it will end, more sooner than later.

AutumnW
29th June 2017, 14:35
[...........]

In another post you admitted to being mistaken about my explanations. Isn't it quite possible that you have mischaracterized my activities from the get-go?

Again, perhaps you have mistakenly dismissed such expressions, although I, personally, try to avoid snarkyness when describing such posts. There were enough hesitations expressed, that I read at least, to suggest that creating conversational threads might have value.

Check it out. We already have a most interesting discussion (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/group.php?discussionid=818&do=discuss) going.:sun:

There is no snarkyness intended and I've done my best to describe why you got a little pushback from a few posters here, as I perceive it.

pabranno
29th June 2017, 18:06
Camilo,
Why the negative attitude? Where's that coming from?
If it doesn't work, then it will play itself out.
Hey, at least Lady Kitt is taking initiative and trying to reach out to some of us who do not feel comfortable posting for a variety of reasons.
I appreciate the thought and the effort Lady Kitt.
Why demean the gesture?
Let it take care of itself.
If it's not your cup of tea, don't drink it.
But no need to demean it.

Noelle
29th June 2017, 20:06
Camilo,
Why the negative attitude? Where's that coming from?
If it doesn't work, then it will play itself out.
Hey, at least Lady Kitt is taking initiative and trying to reach out to some of us who do not feel comfortable posting for a variety of reasons.
I appreciate the thought and the effort Lady Kitt.
Why demean the gesture?
Let it take care of itself.
If it's not your cup of tea, don't drink it.
But no need to demean it.

I've been asking the same thing: Where is that attitude coming from? Sorry this is the response that you received, Lady Kitt.

Ultima Thule
30th June 2017, 08:23

Hello, UT. Your objections are fully understandable and reasonable. The best way I can respond is to request that you to go read the thread that has already been started in the new group (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/group.php?discussionid=818&do=discuss).

And I ask you: Do you really believe that members who create a serious exploratory thread would tolerate other members jumping in and engaging in the types of discussions going on in Questers Unlimited? There would be a request to stay on topic or take it to a PM, at the very least.
LadyKitt

Wouldn'tīt the chat-room provide one option for what is intended?
I donīt wanīt to beat you into submission, trying to point out that existing wheel may have already had some details that might do the trick.

UT