PDA

View Full Version : The Super Natural - by Whitley Strieber and Jeffrey J. Kripal

Chester
20th August 2017, 00:31
This thread is designed to create a discussion about the suggestions explored in The Super Natural

IM(most)HO,

Anyone who has ever experienced a bona-fide anomalous experience would greatly benefit from reading this book. Rarely have I ever read a book twice... and I am now into this book once again. I am hoping that at least one other member has been able to explore if not contemplatively read this book.

About The Super Natural (http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/530045/the-super-natural-by-whitley-strieber-and-jeffrey-j-kripal/9780143109501/)

Two of today’s maverick authors on anomalous experience present a perception-altering and intellectually thrilling analysis of why the paranormal is real, but radically different from what is conventionally
understood.

Whitley Strieber (Communion) and Jeffrey J. Kripal (J. Newton Rayzor professor of religion at Rice University) team up on this unprecedented and intellectually vibrant new framing of inexplicable events and experiences.

Rather than merely document the anomalous, these authors–one the man who popularized alien abduction and the other a renowned scholar and “renegade advocate for including the paranormal in religious studies” (The New York Times)–deliver a fast-paced and exhilarating study of why the supernatural is neither fantasy nor fiction but a vital and authentic aspect of life.

Their suggestion? That all kinds of “impossible” things, from extra-dimensional beings to bilocation to bumps in the night, are not impossible at all: rather, they are a part of our natural world. But this natural world is immeasurably more weird, more wonderful, and probably more populated than we have so far imagined with our current categories and cultures, which are what really make these things seem “impossible.”

The Super Natural considers that the natural world is actually a “super natural world”–and all we have to do to see this is to change the lenses through which we are looking at it and the languages through which we are presently limiting it. In short: The extraordinary exists if we know how to look at and think about it.

DNA
20th August 2017, 00:44
-----------------------------

findingneo
20th August 2017, 01:35
Wow, DNA. Gobsmacked! There was a time decades ago when the thought of trekking through exotic jungle was something I loved to do, and I did do, in a couple of countries. I considered those islands between PNG and Singapore.This is one of those times I am so glad I did not have enough funds to make it more than a passing thought.

Reminds me also of the movie, Predator.

Let's see what else is on your clipboard please DNA.

And yes Sammy, I have recently read a book on this subject too, just not from the authors you mention. But I did see Whitley talk a bit about this book on a thread started in the last week. I enjoy listening to him on podcasts from his radio show, but he distinctly sounds like a church preacher in the video I speak of. I think he may be misinterpreting a little what is going on down at his cabin. It needs very careful treading into "Unknown Country".

I may still get one or both of the books you talk about though. Certainly Super Natural.

Chester
20th August 2017, 02:00
The specific book I mentioned, especially what the book is about and the speculations explored are what I hoped this thread would discuss.

DNA
20th August 2017, 02:32
------------------------------------------------------------------

DNA
20th August 2017, 02:37
-----------------------------------------------------

Kevan
20th August 2017, 08:08
Thanks for the suggestion , I don't have the book, but I ordered it. I will have it in 9 days.

Jayke
20th August 2017, 14:04
Their suggestion? That all kinds of “impossible” things, from extra-dimensional beings to bilocation to bumps in the night, are not impossible at all: rather, they are a part of our natural world. But this natural world is immeasurably more weird, more wonderful, and probably more populated than we have so far imagined with our current categories and cultures, which are what really make these things seem “impossible.”

The Super Natural considers that the natural world is actually a “super natural world”–and all we have to do to see this is to change the lenses through which we are looking at it and the languages through which we are presently limiting it. In short: The extraordinary exists if we know how to look at and think about it.[/INDENT]

Ive not read this book yet but the theme sounds similar to an area I'm currently researching. I was introduced recently to the work of Dr Claude Swanson:

Swanson conducted postgraduate work at Princeton and Cornell Universities on the design of superconducting plasma containment vessels for fusion energy systems. He then began work for Aeronautical Research Associates of Princeton, a consulting company, and later formed his own consulting company which carried out studies in applied physics for commercial and governmental agencies, including DuPont, United Technologies, the U.S. Army and Navy, DARPA and the CIA, among many others.

His book 'Lifeforce: the scientific basis (https://www.amazon.com/Life-Force-Scientific-Basis-Synchronized/dp/B003MS8M3O)' is currently in my reading list, apparantly it looks at how the subtle energies of torsion physics can account for most of the supernatural phenomena we hear about in the alternative/occult/esoteric communities...I'll have to add Streibers book to the list and see how it matches up :)

findingneo
23rd August 2017, 04:39
I suggest John DeSouza's, The Extra Dimensionals as well.

Academics who have Masters and PHD's up to their nostril hairs are still just functioning inside the box from which they are taught, and that box was made by those very ones that don't want you to look outside the box, where they came from.