+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few words on health/well-being

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

Default A few words on health/well-being

For quite some time now I've studied positive psychology and its relationship to a human's overall health/well-being.

What I have found is quite interesting, I thought why not share, it might improve someone's life...

In regards to improving your health/well-being, very roughly speaking there are things you should do and things you should not do. A better way of saying it is probably that there are things you should think about and things you should not forget about relating to your health/well-being.

The first thing not to ever forget, is that great health/well-being requires "maintenance". In other words over a long period of time you can expect some degree of health/well-being decline if you do not explicitly "maintain" your health/well-being.

But that does not mean what you think it means. When I've studied, I have found that "maintenance" for health/well-being is greatly misunderstood. The reason for this is that most think of "maintenance" as a static recipe you have to stick to over the long term and then over time you see results. Things like brushing your teeth twice a day. Eating two warm meals a day. It is stuff like this that is where all of your health/well-being issues are rooted.

For proper "maintenance" towards maximum health/well-being, the "maintenance" should NOT be a static recipe you should stick to without thinking. The "maintenance" should be dynamic. When you for whatever reason experience low levels of joy, the "maintenance" factor is extremely important - you should now eat and drink A LOT. I'm not kidding. Low amounts of joy pushes your energy levels to the bottom and over the long term that is going to start to "eat" (heh) on your health/well-being - A LOT. So it's not about being picky about what you drink and eat, it's not about staying within some certain amount of calorie intake and stuff like this.

Secondly, for good health/well-being you should not exercise too much and you should not exercise too little. The way to do it is to listen to the body. If you do that well you will discover when your body tells you to exercise. That is when you should exercise. So this is also not a static fixed recipe you should follow. Exercise is something to do dynamically. Because you are now on good "maintenance" those exercise sessions are going to provide you a certain amount of pleasure because your energy balance is such. Now health/well-being is beginning to pick up.

One can say that these two combined form a kind of base layer for good health/well-being.

As your health/well-being increases significantly, it is still important to maintain, but the "maintenance requirements" are now a bit lighter. So remember that the base layer is dynamic, high health/well-being relaxes and balances your "maintenance requirements". You will naturally eat and drink less and you will not even notice it.

How to best improve your health/well-being from this level is something I'm currently working on, but it currently appears to me that you should do whatever that maximizes your chances for joy - you need to maximize your joy potential. That can be done in a number of ways, but I'm looking into this approach of engaging broadly and deeply towards various excitement types. Rather than waiting for motivation and then doing, do instead and let that doing result in motivation. Then focus that motivation towards doing additional stuff within additional excitement categories, while monitoring your energy levels. The "maintenance" in the base layer for health/well-being I mentioned earlier is still extremely important on this journey towards higher and higher levels of joy. But this chapter is about discovering your joy and maximizing potential for it by exploring your excitement/excitement types broadly and deeply.

I hope this makes sense. Please comment to let me know what you think.

If you do not feel joy NOW, go get something to eat and drink...
    Last edited by WhiteLove; 1st October 2017 at 18:02.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

Arcturian108 (2nd October 2017), Bruno (2nd October 2017), Creedence (2nd October 2017), fourty-two (2nd October 2017), Hym (2nd October 2017), Jayke (1st October 2017), Mercedes (2nd October 2017), Michelle Marie (1st October 2017), Orph (1st October 2017), Sunny-side-up (2nd October 2017), wnlight (2nd October 2017), Zampano (2nd October 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

Default Re: A few words on health/well-being

This reflects my pattern, too. For awhile, I wasn't eating much at all. It was sort of a purification time.

Now I'm eating a lot, and mashed potatoes and gravy have brought me much joy!!!

I'm also choosing thoughts that raise my vibration. If I get low, I say some positive affirmations. I also use movement and music. And, I think of who else I may uplift by listening or being my funny self!

Smiles,
    Michelle Marie
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bruno (2nd October 2017), fourty-two (2nd October 2017), Hym (2nd October 2017), Mercedes (2nd October 2017), Orph (1st October 2017), Sunny-side-up (2nd October 2017), WhiteLove (1st October 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,424 times in 839 posts

Joy. Love. Gratitude.

Feel the joy that it is simply to be alive in this physical 3D world. To have a physical body that has the five senses. The joy that it is to eat, drink and play.

Feel the love that is at the deepest core of your being. For that is truly where your heart is.

Be grateful to all other things that are sharing this 3D world with us. Talk to the trees, the sky, ............... and the spider hiding under your sink.

Health and well-being.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Arcturian108 (2nd October 2017), Bruno (2nd October 2017), fourty-two (2nd October 2017), Mercedes (2nd October 2017), Michelle Marie (1st October 2017), Sunny-side-up (2nd October 2017), WhiteLove (1st October 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,610 times in 5,381 posts

My joy is woodworking. I also have come to the conclusion that in this world it is very important to find time for joy. But I live in an apartment, so I am building a portable workshop with shelves and folding tables on wheels that I can wheel out of the closet and set up in minutes. My work I call functional art. I make folding tables, rocking chairs, toy chests, jewelry boxes. My project for this year is pyramids.

I also listen to what my body says. It tells me what it wants to eat and when it wants me to exercise.

But there is much I wish I did listen to more important than joy. Family is my weak spot, and getting worse every day. I used to be the one who maintained relations with family by driving to their homes uninvited and staying for dinner. But since loosing my ability to drive ten years ago those ties are unravelling. I have no connection to any of my family now, including my daughter and her child. I miss get togethers because I can't get there in any reasonable fashion - and no one calls to see if I need a ride anymore, or even see if I am going. I am not included in their lives - I find out months later that my daughter had left the country.

As much as my wish might be otherwise, I am no longer in the same class as the rest of my family. They are first-worlders, full of money and short on time, and I am third-world, barely able to pay my bills. I was talking to my friend about the math involved in building pyramids and he turned to me in a huff and said your problems are so third-world. That was like a slap in the face - because it is true.
    As a third-worlder, my thoughts are not their thoughts. My concerns are not their concerns. My priorities are not their priorities.

So I tinker in my workshop and try to find joy in solitary work because there are none in my world who consider my work or my life interesting or valuable.

I walk among ghosts...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Blacklight43 (1st October 2017), Bruno (2nd October 2017), fourty-two (2nd October 2017), genevieve (2nd October 2017), Hym (2nd October 2017), Mercedes (2nd October 2017), Michelle Marie (2nd October 2017), Ol' Roy (2nd October 2017), Orph (1st October 2017), Sunny-side-up (2nd October 2017), WhiteLove (1st October 2017), Zampano (2nd October 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

I forgot to mention that there is a good health/well-being opportunity hidden in seeking ways of making food, drinks and snacks more tasty over time also. What I mean is that although it is most important to consume the energy, you do get some additional boost by eating and drinking really good stuff... So it is also about en-joying.

In moments of great love you will notice how your energy requirement is almost 0. That is how it balances...

Notice how that combination all in all makes it very low in limitation. That's a key concept behind it all. It is meant to be to your benefit to consume energy freely.
    Last edited by WhiteLove; 1st October 2017 at 20:10.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

Bruno (2nd October 2017), fourty-two (2nd October 2017), Hym (2nd October 2017), Mercedes (2nd October 2017), Sunny-side-up (2nd October 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,424 times in 839 posts

[QUOTE=Michelle Marie;1182994
    Now I'm eating a lot, and mashed potatoes and gravy have brought me much joy!!!
    [/QUOTE]

Recipe: Mashed potatoes, one cheese packet from a box of mac-and-cheese, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Blend together in a bowl. (Or blend it together in any type of receptacle that you choose. But a bowl works pretty good). Dance and play your favorite music while you make it, that way you'll be sure to be hungry by the time you're done. (That helps, just in case you don't care for it much, you'll be in a good enough mood to eat it anyway). It actually isn't too bad. Awwww what-the-heck. Have to try something different once in a while.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Bruno (2nd October 2017), fourty-two (2nd October 2017), Hym (2nd October 2017), Mercedes (2nd October 2017), Sunny-side-up (2nd October 2017), WhiteLove (2nd October 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,268 times in 2,725 posts

When I wake up in the morning before opening my eyes I first ask myself what I will do today and what shall I put in my stomach to make me feel good. In almost all of the days, eating less and drinking a lot makes me feel good. people are different and I am sure it has to do with what you term as "dynamic". some people can do a lot of exercise some a lot less. The healthier you become the better you feel, the less food you need and more exercise needed.I absolutely agree that one person have dynamic needs thats why I disagree with "eating a lot". By drinking I mean it includes juices. enzymes production and digesting needs nutrition and energy, by juicing you save much of this for other requirements of your body. Thats why when a person needs to heal (repair)juicing is one of the cures.
    Last edited by Bubu; 1st October 2017 at 23:48.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Blacklight43 (2nd October 2017), Bruno (2nd October 2017), fourty-two (2nd October 2017), Hym (2nd October 2017), Mercedes (2nd October 2017), Sunny-side-up (2nd October 2017), WhiteLove (2nd October 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,122 times in 3,951 posts

I don't do this enough but getting out in the nature is healthy.
    Getting rained on, feet on the earth, touching plants that are growing, laying on the ground looking up into the sky and being part of the Planet.
    We have tenancies to become isolated from our world and it's great energies.

Think on what you feel like eating then work out what it is within that food that you are actually craving, that is your higher or inner self talking to you.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Bruno (2nd October 2017), Mercedes (2nd October 2017), WhiteLove (2nd October 2017)

+ Reply to Thread