+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Congressman Proposes Legislation to Allow Cops to Use Cannabis, Slams Drug War

1. Link to Post #1
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

Default Congressman Proposes Legislation to Allow Cops to Use Cannabis, Slams Drug War

Interesting. what can you say about this. Do you think it can work?

"As the era of “alternative facts” takes hold across the political spectrum and federal government buries its head in ignorance, lawmakers are increasingly challenging facets of the insanity. Medical cannabis is receiving particular attention, with supporters becoming even more passionate after the appointment of drug warrior Jeff Sessions to Attorney General.

According to Marijuana Moment, Congressman Matt Gaetz (R-FL) testified in a House Judiciary Committee that medical cannabis has great potential to treat mental health issues and should be made available to everyone – including cops. Many lawmakers are trying to change VA policies to allow medical cannabis for veterans with PTSD, but Gaetz is taking this logic a step further with law enforcement.

The legislation being considered, titled “Law Enforcement Mental Health and Wellness Act of 2017,” would delve into the mental health practices and services of LEO agencies across the country, and direct the attorney general to consult with the DoD and VA on how they treat soldiers.

aetz proposed an amendment which would have required agencies to examine, “Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs mental health practices and services, including medical cannabis treatment on mental health, that could be adopted by Federal, State, local, or tribal law enforcement agencies.“

As we know, drugs such as SSRIs–with harmful effects on health and public safety–are the method of choice for treating military veterans who suffer trauma after fighting in America’s wars of aggression. If patients can use a plant and its extracts for healing, which can’t be patented, this is a serious threat to the profits of Big Pharma.

After blowback from several lawmakers who felt law enforcement wasn’t the place to pursue cannabis reform, Gaetz withdrew his amendment. But the point was made – there is mounting resistance to the inhumane, logically bankrupt War on Drugs.

“The federal government has lied to the American people for a generation about cannabis,” said Gaetz as his amendment was discussed for about 30 minutes. “There is substantial evidence that indicates that there is a case to be made for the medical efficacy of cannabis in the treatment of mental health and particularly PTSD.”

The Florida Congressman noted for the record, the “idiotic, indefensible policy in this country where we list cannabis as a Schedule I drug.”

The thought of cops using medical cannabis is interesting, considering the violent U.S. police state and its assault on the populace through the war on drugs. Perhaps those cops who actually believe a person should be arrested for a plant would have second thoughts if they actually experienced the benefits of said plant. More importantly, could the extraordinary rate of police-initiated violence go down if cops could toke up after work?

Even though fellow lawmakers assured Gaetz they supported his efforts at cannabis reform, they must have been shocked by the truth bombs he dropped during the hearing. There is no contesting the statements Gaetz made about the lies and the disregard of scientific fact that dominate U.S. drug policy.

These moments of clarity in Congress are refreshing indeed. A day before Gaetz made his statements, Rep. Earl Blumenauer testified before a House Subcommittee on Health that medical cannabis can solve the opioid crisis. He provided strong scientific evidence to make his point and lambasted the “stranglehold” federal government has on cannabis research."

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/con...zen.yandex.com

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Blacklight43 (17th October 2017), BMJ (27th October 2017), Bruno (18th October 2017), enigma3 (17th October 2017), Franny (16th October 2017), justntime2learn (17th October 2017), Mercedes (17th October 2017), Mike Gorman (17th October 2017), TargeT (26th October 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,056 times in 1,753 posts

Default Re: Congressman Proposes Legislation to Allow Cops to Use Cannabis, Slams Drug War

Sessions is actually a very weak link in Trump's populist revolution, he is really not up with the movement at all with the 'Reefer Madness' approach, I can see Trump removing Sessions over the next year once the full absurdity of his 1930's thinking style really starts to build internal conflict among the states who have adopted decriminalization, and full legalization; yes the medical benefits of Cannabis is coming out into the mainstream, even here in Australia there is a growing pressure to remove the old guard and push aside the repressive laws.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

BMJ (27th October 2017), Bruno (18th October 2017), Bubu (17th October 2017), justntime2learn (17th October 2017), Mercedes (17th October 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,426 times in 839 posts

Default Re: Congressman Proposes Legislation to Allow Cops to Use Cannabis, Slams Drug War

Ehhhhhhhhhh. Decided to not go on a rant about cops and pot. Not good for my health
    Last edited by Orph; 17th October 2017 at 03:03.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Bruno (18th October 2017), Bubu (17th October 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 times in 595 posts

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    ...the extraordinary rate of police-initiated violence go down if cops could toke up after work....
    Reminds me of the mid-70's when the cops pulled us over and found a small bag of pot on a friend.
    They took the pot and let us go but not before asking "hey, do you guys have any rolling papers"?
    Those were the days...
    Last edited by dynamo; 18th October 2017 at 11:21.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

Bruno (18th October 2017), Bubu (18th October 2017), Omni (26th October 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,764 times in 8,385 posts

Turns out Cannabis has been the subject of a big fat lie, like so many other things . . . .

Here's a trailer for an upcoming free docu-series about this 'sacred plant' and it's medicinal use.

This is where to provide your email address to 'sign up' for access to it.

https://thesacredplant.com/docuseries/
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Blacklight43 (26th October 2017), Bubu (30th October 2017), Omni (26th October 2017), TargeT (26th October 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Turns out Cannabis has been the subject of a big fat lie, like so many other things . . . .
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Blacklight43 (26th October 2017), Bruno (27th October 2017), Bubu (30th October 2017), gnostic9 (28th October 2017), Helene West (27th October 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

Quote Posted by dynamo (here)
    Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    ...the extraordinary rate of police-initiated violence go down if cops could toke up after work....
    Reminds me of the mid-70's when the cops pulled us over and found a small bag of pot on a friend.
    They took the pot and let us go but not before asking "hey, do you guys have any rolling papers"?
    Those were the days...
    Sat on the back of a cop car and smoked a joint with a cop, in my teens. Knew one that partied a bit with folks I knew, after he retired from the force.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Bubu (30th October 2017), gnostic9 (28th October 2017), seko (29th October 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,764 times in 8,385 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)

Here's a trailer for an upcoming free docu-series about this 'sacred plant' and it's medicinal use.

This is where to provide your email address to 'sign up' for access to it.

https://thesacredplant.com/docuseries/
    This series starts tonight at 9pm eastern.

Register to watch all 7 parts over the next week ( free ) here:

https://thesacredplant.com/docuserie...ff&oprid=14804
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

+ Reply to Thread