+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sugar makes cancerous tumours more aggressive finds new study

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member onevoice's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,956 times in 538 posts

Default Re: Sugar makes cancerous tumours more aggressive finds new study

A bit off-topic, but I would like to point out the addictive aspect of sweeteners. A study was done on rats many years ago to see which the rats already already addicted to cocaine preferred, cocaine or saccharin. According to the study, rats chose saccharin over cocaine.
    Overall, there are many behavioral and biological commonalities between sugar-sweetened beverages and drugs of abuse. However, the addictive potential of the former relative to the latter is much less clear. Previous research showed that concurrent access to highly sweetened water (saccharin plus glucose) can reduce self-administration of low doses of cocaine in non-dependent rats [31], [32], suggesting that sweetened water may surpass cocaine reward–one of the most addictive and harmful substance currently known [33]. Whether this effect results from a genuine preference for intense sweetness or other factors (e.g., use of a suboptimal dose of cocaine and/or lack of cocaine dependence) has not been established yet, however. The present series of experiments was designed to directly address this question. We developed a discrete-trials choice procedure to measure the reward value of an intense sweet taste relative to intravenous cocaine. This procedure was first tested in non-restricted, naïve rats to determine how, without any prior experience with cocaine or intense sweetness, animals learn to differentially value both types of reward. Then, the same procedure was applied to rats following an extended access to cocaine self-administration. Previous research showed that with prolonged access to cocaine, most rats develop the major signs of addiction, including drug intake escalation [34], compromised brain reward processing [35] and difficulty to stop drug seeking despite negative consequences
    Complete study report:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1931610/

2. Link to Post #22
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

I see a lot of big gun "study" already does not interest me at all I would be interested in your own experience/ study. and for the sake of clarity lets differentiate natural sugar from store bought refined sugar.

Ok so lets travel for a while to our ancestors time. when they are hunter gatherers. do they found cabbage or lettuce in the wild? do they eat raw squash? nah dont think so. they climb trees with sweet and sour fruits probably 90% of the time. That is why our taste buds craves for sweets its the primary food we should have. When majority go left I go right I have a better chance. I presume brain washing is directed to the bulk of the herd.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

onevoice (28th October 2017)

4. Link to Post #23
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    I see a lot of big gun "study" already does not interest me at all I would be interested in your own experience/ study. and for the sake of clarity lets differentiate natural sugar from store bought refined sugar.

Ok so lets travel for a while to our ancestors time. when they are hunter gatherers. do they found cabbage or lettuce in the wild? do they eat raw squash? nah dont think so. they climb trees with sweet and sour fruits probably 90% of the time. That is why our taste buds craves for sweets its the primary food we should have. When majority go left I go right I have a better chance. I presume brain washing is directed to the bulk of the herd.
    When they were hunting and gathering, they ate whatever they could get their hands on. We’re told through archeological digs that a transition was made to farming and plant cultivation supposedly in the Neolithic era, when people started working together.

Also, the appearance, taste, and consistency of vegetables and fruits have come a long way since even the 1600’s..most of those seed lines would be considered inedible based on today’s standards.

As far as a link bertween the many different expressions and types of cancer and sugar, I’m not surprised. Everything runs on some kind of fuel. I don’t think the answer is as simple as cutting out sugar, since the brain requires glucose. At the same time I doubt many oncologists will start telling patients to stop eating sugar and sweeteners.

Often with chemotherapy, appetite loss and weight loss is quite common. Folks going the traditional oncology route are frequently told to eat anything and everything to keep their weight up, to avoid irreversible damage to the internal organs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2