+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would be the most humanist technology for society?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,261 times in 1,414 posts

Talking What would be the most humanist technology for society?

A friend of mine who lives off grid, asserted to me one day that today's technology, and the way the modern world works is de-humanizing. For example, in the debt-slave driven modern world most people can barely afford their housing, transportation, food, clothing, education and health care, and are facing working long hours (sometimes at multiple jobs) just to make ends meet while carrying a backbreaking mountain of debt. On top of that, the mainstream media pumps our minds with false created needs to have the newest gadgets and other posessions while the education system generally provides little training in basic skills such as cooking, managing finances, understanding media,, how to maintain your housing or vehicles. Those who are fortunate enough to have the finances and skills to manage their way through this jungle of traps then finds little in the way of soul nuturing activities, and therefore it becomes a real struggle to develop and enhance one's consciousness. This leads many to substance abuse or other desructive behaviour.

I heard it once said that modern society is the first that doesnt place the pursuit of higher consciousness as one of its highest priorities. That may be because this society is primarily, and fundamentally, materialistic and atheistic. This milieu of living therefore emphasizes possessions, status and power. It therefore follows logically that this culture's technology would emphasize de-humanized means of attaining its goals, of humans being units of production and/or manipulation.

So, if we would like a better, more fulfilling lifestyle, i would like to open this discussion thread as to what sort of humanized technology could achieve this?

I would kick this off with a few points to consider:

1) humans need to live as best with minimized disease and pestulence, so therefore cures for diseases should be inexpensive and easily obtained by all (such as grow your own healthcare plants). We also need a lifestyle free of common causes ot discomfort, so common, cheap teatments for lice, vermin, bedbugs, etc. are needed. Libraries of this kind of knowledge are needed and should be readily available to all.

2) humans need housing, so cheap, easy to assemble, weather proof housing is needed. I believe i some videos about foam concrete dome housing is very effective in this realm.

3) means of communication is needed, ideas to be shared, etc. How to best achieve this? Is having some sort of internet needed?

4) transportation: how to best get goods and people around? I have heard engineers say that rail is the most energy and environmrntally efficient.

5) group task organizstion: larger tasks may need to be organized, but there must be a better way than the corrrupt system run by fascist corporations and their pawn governments and ngo's

6) Clothing: everyone needs cloths and shoes. The skills to make these should be mandatorily taught in any education system.

7) Food: whats the most nutritious balanced diet one can have in their local environment? One should be able to grow your own, right?

8) Education: does anyone like the idea of home schooling using resources from the local library (or internet library)? At the very least the education should not be used to indoctrinate and conformalize its participants.
    Last edited by Justplain; 22nd October 2017 at 02:17.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Adaline (18th January 2018), Bruno (23rd October 2017), dynamo (24th October 2017), East Sun (26th October 2017), Eric J (Viking) (24th October 2017), Ernie Nemeth (22nd October 2017), fourty-two (22nd October 2017), Heavy Duty (22nd October 2017), Hym (22nd October 2017), Joe from the Carolinas (23rd October 2017), Lifebringer (24th October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (22nd October 2017), Omni (22nd October 2017), onevoice (24th October 2017), pleitecas (27th February 2018), Sequoia (24th October 2017), toppy (22nd October 2017), wondering (22nd October 2017), Yetti (23rd October 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Default Re: What would be the most humanist technology for society?

Clean fresh water (and a good safe energy minimal method to recycle grey and black water).

Quote In a harsh environment — it's snowing, say — you have 3 hours to survive without shelter.

After 3 days, you need water or you'll perish.

You can make it 3 weeks without food, though we promise you that won't be fun.

Despite this possibly helpful rule, some people have survived 8 to 10 days without water.
    (water discovery tech, and recovery/extraction/filtration (if needed) tech goes with this..)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    Clean fresh water (and a good safe energy minimal method to recycle grey and black water).

Quote In a harsh environment — it's snowing, say — you have 3 hours to survive without shelter.

After 3 days, you need water or you'll perish.

You can make it 3 weeks without food, though we promise you that won't be fun.

Despite this possibly helpful rule, some people have survived 8 to 10 days without water.
    (water discovery tech, and recovery/extraction/filtration (if needed) tech goes with this..)
    Agreed, Bob, waste management and clean water supply tech are both essential.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Adaline (18th January 2018), Bob (23rd October 2017), Bruno (23rd October 2017), dynamo (24th October 2017), Hym (22nd October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (22nd October 2017), pleitecas (27th February 2018)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,392 times in 3,448 posts

I'm not sure i understand how humanism can be brought into it as I'm not well read into humanism, but I think frequency technology is the biggest field for the most part yet to be discovered.
    Last edited by Omni; 22nd October 2017 at 13:52.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

Adaline (18th January 2018), Alx (22nd October 2017), Bruno (23rd October 2017), dynamo (24th October 2017), Hym (22nd October 2017), Justplain (22nd October 2017), Lefty Dave (23rd October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (22nd October 2017), pleitecas (27th February 2018)

8. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Facilitators.

We need facilitators, people who know people and know where and how to gather resources. These people are going to be very much in demand. Most people are good at their craft, but not so good at finding the proper people and resources to actually practice their craft. They can spend a lifetime looking for the opportunity they need to be happy and a useful member of society.

And before some say we already have facilitators, no, we don't. We need people with comprehensive global knowledge, skills in inter-personal relationships, and impeccable integrity, along with the ability to tailor ideas and resources to the individual's personal needs.

I heard it said not long ago that most people decide what profession they want to be by what makes the most money, according to their skill level of course. I say that is crazy and that most simply become what they think they might like doing for ever, a concept that has always scared the crap out of me because there is nothing in the entire universe that I would like to do for ever - except write.

Facilitators need to be charged with special powers - door-opening powers. There can be nowhere they are not allowed to go and there can be no one who can refuse to render them aid.

This way, finally, we can get people where they need to be and where we want them to be. No more seniority, no more good 'ole boys clubs. Just the right persons in the right jobs.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Adaline (18th January 2018), Bruno (23rd October 2017), dynamo (24th October 2017), Hym (22nd October 2017), Jayke (22nd October 2017), Justplain (22nd October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (22nd October 2017), pleitecas (27th February 2018), Reinhard (23rd October 2017), wondering (22nd October 2017)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

I am wondering if there is a configuration of the way humans do things that can provide people with the best opportunity to pursue what's best for them. Although not all people would choose that consciousness is the highest priority, many would. So one would need a system, with the accompanying tech, that would provide for their needs but not enslave them to useless pursuits. The suggestions thus far verify that tech is needed to provide for physical needs, and that facilitators are required to assist people in finding their path, this being especially poignant in spiritual and consciousness matters.

I believe the best current tech that meets these goals is what could be used. The tech has to be maintainable in a decentralized social condition, as well. Then it becomes a question of social organization. A village setting comes to mind, with everyone able to grow a garden.
    Last edited by Justplain; 23rd October 2017 at 01:25.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Adaline (18th January 2018), Bob (23rd October 2017), Bruno (23rd October 2017), dynamo (24th October 2017), Hym (22nd October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017)

12. Link to Post #7
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

the only technology we need is one that will enable us to get the vampires/globalist off our backs. If you notice we have all of what you have mentioned above including free energy and all that can make human life a lot lot easier. But then they have taken it away and anything we come up with will be taken away from us they have are doing it and been doing it.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Adaline (19th January 2018), Bruno (23rd October 2017), dynamo (24th October 2017), Hym (22nd October 2017), Jantje (23rd October 2017), Justplain (23rd October 2017), Lefty Dave (23rd October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

What I am reading is that this thread is about freeing people from essential NEEDS:

Which academically tend to be agreed primarily as food, water, shelter, clothing, basic healthcare
    Secondarily is connectedness: Community, companionship, belonging, ( friends, family, relationships) spirituality ( not necessarily religion)
    Thirdly is opportunity for growth, education, skills building, meaningful challenges ( sport, academia etc)

How can this be achieved? I am not convinced "technology" is even necessary. There are many societies and cultures that have achieved much along these lines without the need for "tech"

I do find it interesting how EACH and EVERY need has been co-opted and corrupted.............

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Adaline (19th January 2018), Bruno (23rd October 2017), dynamo (24th October 2017), Jantje (23rd October 2017), Lefty Dave (23rd October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)
    What I am reading is that this thread is about freeing people from essential NEEDS:

Which academically tend to be agreed primarily as food, water, shelter, clothing, basic healthcare
    Secondarily is connectedness: Community, companionship, belonging, ( friends, family, relationships) spirituality ( not necessarily religion)
    Thirdly is opportunity for growth, education, skills building, meaningful challenges ( sport, academia etc)

How can this be achieved? I am not convinced "technology" is even necessary. There are many societies and cultures that have achieved much along these lines without the need for "tech"

I do find it interesting how EACH and EVERY need has been co-opted and corrupted.............
    Hi CurEus, technology to me is any object or method used to do anything. The wikipedia definition illustrates this:

"In 1937, the American sociologist Read Bain wrote that "technology includes all tools, machines, utensils, weapons, instruments, housing, clothing, communicating and transporting devices and the skills by which we produce and use them." Bain's definition remains common among scholars today..."

So any way of doing anything, from basket weaving to computers, or the methods used to produce them, is technology.

As you aptly point out, we humans have a hierarchy of essential and not so essential needs. So, the question in this thread is: is their a way we can do this "lifestyle thing" that better meets our true needs as people. Our essential needs have to be addressed in whatever solution we could find, but this wouldnt free us from those needs, it would address them.

I quite frankly dont think the current mixed governmental/capitalistic structure can foot the bill, it is too self-serving, too narrow in focus and too easily manipulated by wealth to succeed in building us a better world. I see us being corralled into a transhumanist future that will betray us all. So, i am interested in ideas in how we can make a better way for ourselves.
    Last edited by Justplain; 23rd October 2017 at 02:01.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Adaline (19th January 2018), Bruno (23rd October 2017), CurEus (23rd October 2017), dynamo (24th October 2017), Franny (23rd October 2017), Jantje (23rd October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017), onevoice (24th October 2017)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    the only technology we need is one that will enable us to get the vampires/globalist off our backs. If you notice we have all of what you have mentioned above including free energy and all that can make human life a lot lot easier. But then they have taken it away and anything we come up with will be taken away from us they have are doing it and been doing it.
    I have heard it said that any organization becomes corrupt. Having some truth to that statement, this makes me think we need a much more decentralized lifestyle. This approach would severely contradict the way society runs in today's world where everyone is specialized, the means of production is horded by wealth and the push is to higher and higher levels of overly complicated technology. If you decentralize you prevent bastards from controlling everything.

So, the question is, how to develop a way of life the is self sustainable on a decentralized basis that still meets our needs?

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Adaline (19th January 2018), Bruno (23rd October 2017), dynamo (24th October 2017), Franny (23rd October 2017), Jantje (23rd October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017), Omni (23rd October 2017)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

The planet is VAST.

With some "technologies" such as free energies we would not have to live/congregate ( be herded) and be controlled. We could pretty much LIVE anywhere.

I for one have no problem living in a treehouse in the Amazon or on top of a remote mountain in a cabin...or on an asteroid for that matter. To do so I would have to have my "needs" met.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

dynamo (24th October 2017), Justplain (24th October 2017), Lifebringer (24th October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017), Omni (23rd October 2017)

22. Link to Post #12
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,067 times in 698 posts

one simple answer, get rid of smartphones and concentrate on meditation and telepathy
    " Loka samasta sukhino bhavantu / May all beings in all worlds be happy and free and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all "

tibetian mantra

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to seehas For This Post:

Adaline (19th January 2018), dynamo (24th October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017), norman (23rd October 2017)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,055 times in 8,170 posts

Quote Posted by seehas (here)
    one simple answer, get rid of smartphones and concentrate on meditation and telepathy
    And appreciate as much as we can. That's something only we can do. No AI can do that . . . . .

If we do that really really hard, mabe we can grasp our unique power back from the tonsils of the AI/Tech wet dream.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

dynamo (24th October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017), seehas (23rd October 2017)

26. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 times in 332 posts

Yes, the easy alternatives for cures are available everywhere on the web, Clean running water is a most and the new technology with foam concrete is very promising to build better houses, cheaper and functional. There was a site years ago with a project of a city design for self sustain society , called Luis Prada at the Abundant hope site. check it out.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yetti For This Post:

dynamo (24th October 2017), Justplain (24th October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017)

28. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member Sequoia's Avatar
    Thanks

Access to the technology that turns salt water to (potable) fresh water
    Last edited by Sequoia; 24th October 2017 at 05:22.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sequoia For This Post:

dynamo (24th October 2017), Justplain (24th October 2017), Michelle Marie (28th October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017)

30. Link to Post #16
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

To be truly free, which would provide all the opportunity for a happy life, there are three things we need.

We need unlimited energy.

We need unrestricted mobility.

We need reasonably potent security.

The energy is obvious. We need that to drive all the tech. That includes food production, heating/cooling, lights, and any surplus amount beyond the conventional for the new tech. That requires an unlimited energy supply.
    Mobility is less obvious. To truly be free we need the kind of mobility that allows for at least inter-solar travel. The speeds involved will in itself rewrite physics textbooks. The method involved will be an outgrowth of the technology implemented to deliver unlimited power.
    Security is the least obvious. We need security enough to thwart any moderate interference by any external authority or force. This tech will allow the erecting of force fields to repel attack, and protect against harmful environments.

Without these three things we are not free.
    Without these three things we are at the mercy of the least common denominator of the human spectrum; there is no room for integrity in a world of scarcity.

To be free requires energy, mobility, security. With these three comes the basis upon which a new world could be formed. With the fundamentals in place to meet the rest of humanity on equal footing, the individual will not compromise on details. Instead, all individuals will seek consensus on pertinent issues. It will be these consensus consortiums that will form the basic framework of a new way.

But such consensus cannot be reached in this world. The best we have ever been able to achieve is compromise, in which there are always very obvious winners and equally obvious losers.

Until the day that the individual can stand up without having to worry about their actions or ideologies affecting their status, and without having to feel obliged or beholden to another entity, and without having to worry about the current laws of the land, there can neither be true happiness or freedom.

The reason for the energy, mobility, security is so that if for whatever excuse an authority imposes restrictions the individual doesn't agree with they can resist. And if the force brought to bear upon them becomes too great, they can leave intact and unmolested.

It is the ability to live unfettered by outside interference that makes for a happy and fulfilling and fruitful and productive and creative life.

In a world of free individuals the goal of life is joy.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

dynamo (24th October 2017), Justplain (24th October 2017), Noelle (25th October 2017)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Our generation, our lead. These old greedy bots, can't stop our progress. So, I'm glad you opened this thread. I've got designs of vertical and barrel garden techniques with self watering from irrigation. I've got designs on dome homes made with what God gave us, Adobe mud and cement with hemp fibers for strength, but the cheapest, most sturdy I have been able to concentrate on is the sand bad dome homes/Earth soil bags in plastic, stacked and joisted as you make the walls and ceiling to hold the roofing structure. The dome will be of some sort of volcanic ash for light insulatiion, and steel bent over the structure and fastened in the cemented walls. This will give it a boyancy bouce if something heavy hits the roof. You'll lose plaster but if the mesh chicken wire between the steel ceiling joist. (like meteor, or volcanic or hurricane, tornado debrie flying around banging against homes. You've noticed those homes dated back centuries in Mexico, US Grand Canyon regions and over in ME have lasted a long time despite the weather. Earth has the right stuff, just have to have the right people to do it. Our generation just wants the old constipated legislateive, oil embedded codgers, to get out of the way. I can't even trust to put my designs online, because whatever site I would use like cloud, would "own" your stuff if you don't pay. They are starting to charge for that type of security, and like you said, things must be affordable. Homes with their own energy source, back up generators and or Tesla wall power units, will be the trend. Nobody's spending millions on inefficient and non-powered boxes, as slaves to utilities grid, that go up whenever a war, because of oil or gas or citizen fracking activist. Goes out whenever a storm's brewing. These are how we think. If they thought we thought as they do with their bunkers, they'd get it, but the selfish society that steals patents and ideas, holds back lots of stuff in the hopper.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Solar panel or wind or even "water wheel power, on the water filtration for 6 hr free energy gathering and filtering should provide water for daily use, even sea salt water can be heated to a 99 degrees, in fact washing dishes/clothes/floors cleansing bathroom areas and disinfect w/bleach. Making soaps or mixing cement

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Some great ideas. I like the idea of concentrating on meditation and telepathy, can you imagine how we could unlock some of our innate abilities through concentrated and ongoing efforts? It is understandable that one might not want to put specific details of ideas on the web in that they might be stolen and 'patented'. There should be a way to show ideas in a manner that is not patentable though. I believe that the video on foam cement dome house construction was fairly generic, but not quite detailed enough to that easily to replicate, which it should (they were likely trying to sell kits, which is not the idea of this discussion).

So, i would suggest that low complication, extremely low cost methods for making things is the way to go. Also, the flexibility to use local materials is also a necessity (using hemp, mud, sand and wood come to mind). Another is developing healthy locally grown foods and medicinal herbs (hemp and garlic come to mind).

Regarding water purification, can charcoal be used? I think that its fairly easy to make charcoal.

Regqrding cloths and shoes, can hemp be used to make these?

Regarding energy source, what's a renewable easily accessible source? Wood comes to mind.

Now, assuming that a village environment is a logical social structure, everyone (assuming family units) would have a plot of land to grow their own garden. Then the community could share resources to raise children, cultivate larger crops like grain, and possibly undertake larger projects. The projects obviously would be community owned, but then one gets into politics, a real problem. How to resolve that?

And absolutely no corporations, or similar organisations, thank you.

And how to resolve the security issue in a low tech society? How to keep aggressive intruders out? Our innate spiritual abilities might eventually be able to handle this isue, but that would have to be a long term goal. How to defend in the meantime?
    Last edited by Justplain; 25th October 2017 at 00:19.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Noelle (25th October 2017)

37. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 times in 332 posts

Ernie, define better " We need reasonably potent security' against what by example? Economic security? or personal?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Yetti For This Post:

gnostic9 (25th October 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast