+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Water Filter that adds Silica, to Prevent Alzheimer's

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default A Water Filter that adds Silica, to Prevent Alzheimer's

Aluminum is a major risk factor in Alzheimer's, and silica in drinking water removes aluminum from the body:
    http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-str...php/chapter-1/

Gravity water filters were tested:
    http://www.waterfilterlabs.com/Intro...b-results.html

and the results for removal of several elements, including aluminum, were charted:
    http://www.waterfilterlabs.com/image...lements-01.jpg

Of the two best water filters for removing aluminum, one has a stainless steel body and the other a plastic body. I tested the silica output of the Berkey stainless steel water filter, because I don't want to take the chance of plastic getting into my drinking water. My tap water has 2.5 mg/L of silica, after going through that stainless steel water filter the water had 17.8 mg/L of silica! This is enough silica to actually remove a significant amount of aluminum from the body.

This is not as much silica as is available from high silica bottled water, but bottled water is much more expensive than filtered water. Basically, this is an affordable and convenient method to get silica water with low aluminum, which is the single best way to reduce the chance of getting Alzheimer's. High silica water also strengthens hair, skin and bone, and reduces the chance of getting a stroke.

I do not work for any water filter company. I received moderator permission to post brand names in this thread.
    Last edited by Rhydwyn; 7th November 2017 at 07:54.

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Rhydwyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd November 2017), Bob (4th December 2017), Bruno (23rd October 2017), ceetee9 (30th November 2017), CurEus (23rd October 2017), dynamo (5th December 2017), Ewan (3rd November 2017), Flowerpunkchip (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th November 2017), Franny (4th December 2017), gaiagirl (4th November 2017), genevieve (23rd October 2017), Houman (11th June 2018), Jean-Marie (4th November 2017), Loren (4th November 2017), Matt P (5th December 2017), Nasu (24th October 2017), Noelle (22nd October 2017), onevoice (23rd October 2017), Rain (8th November 2017), Sequoia (4th November 2017), Shamz (29th November 2017), Sunny-side-up (25th December 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

Default Re: A Water Filter that adds Silica, to Prevent Alzheimer's

Interesting information and thank you.

I do use a water filtering system and I tend to ozonate my water before consumption. My understanding though is that "rapid detoxing" can lead to unpleasant situations particularly with metals. ( most often when trying to remove lead or mercury from amalgam fillings
    I am not certain of the rules...but we are all here researching and learning. I see no harm for you to compare different types of filters and the results you find. Some may take "exception" if you only endorse one brand as the KING of ALL filters.

Please keep researching and share your results and journey.
    Last edited by CurEus; 23rd October 2017 at 16:16.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Bruno (23rd October 2017), fourty-two (24th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th November 2017), Loren (4th November 2017), Shamz (29th November 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

I asked a moderator and received permission to post the model names.

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)
    Interesting information and thank you.

I do use a water filtering system and I tend to ozonate my water before consumption. My understanding though is that "rapid detoxing" can lead to unpleasant situations particularly with metals. ( most often when trying to remove lead or mercury from amalgam fillings )
    Rapid heavy metal chelation can cause problems because it is broad in effect and removes good metals too. If the good metals are removed faster than they are replenished, then the patient will suffer from malnutrition. Silica only removes aluminum, it doesn't remove good metals. Also, there are silica rich bottled waters that have way more silica than from a Berkey filter, for example Fiji water has 92 mg/L of silica:
    http://www.fijiwater.com/faqs.html

but there are no reported health problems from drinking Fiji water.

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)
    Some may take "exception" if you only endorse one brand as the KING of ALL filters.
    When I looked at the metal removal chart:
    http://www.waterfilterlabs.com/Big-B...b-results.html

I saw that only the Big Berkey Filter with black ceramic elements and the Zen Water Systems Alkaline Water Filter removed aluminum. Of those the Berkey is made of stainless steel and the Zen is made of resins, so I didn't try the Zen because it might put plastic into my drinking water. If Zen ever makes a filter with a stainless steel body I will test it, until then Zen is not worth the risk. Although there are many water filters, only the Berkey is actually designed properly.

At home I had a Brita countertop water filter:
    https://brita.ca/products/water-pitchers/

Because of the metal removal review I bought the Travel Berkey System, BT2X2-BB (1.5 gallon) with two Black Berkey Purification Elements:
    https://www.berkeywater.com/travel-b...ystem-1-5-gal/

The test results are as follows:

Tap Water: 2.48 mg/L of silica
    Water from Brita: 3.52 mg/L of silica
    Water from Berkey: 17.8 mg/L of silica

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rhydwyn For This Post:

ceetee9 (30th November 2017), fourty-two (4th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th November 2017), gaiagirl (4th November 2017), Jean-Marie (4th November 2017), Loren (4th November 2017), Matt P (5th December 2017), Shamz (29th November 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,530 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Rhydwyn (here)
    I do not work for any water filter company. I did not mention the brand of water filter I tested because we're not allowed to without moderator permission. If I was given permission I would post the water filter model I tested.
    Please go ahead! This is useful information for everyone. But we do very much appreciate that you asked.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

dynamo (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th November 2017), Jean-Marie (4th November 2017), Shamz (29th November 2017), Sunny-side-up (25th December 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Sequoia's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been taking Diatomeceous earth since 2014 for a similar purpose of what Rhydwyn talks about, just offering an alternative idea here for chelating/ reduction of heavy metals in your body, that are impossibe to completely avoid with ''acid-rain'' from nukes in space and chem-trails pouring down on our organic land and spring waters. More the merrier...it's very encouraging to see people come up with innovative ideas and solutions against the onslaught, it gives hope that there ultimately is hope, and a cure, for all manmade/created havoc.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sequoia For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th November 2017), Jean-Marie (4th November 2017), Shamz (29th November 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sequoia (here)
    I've been taking Diatomeceous earth since 2014 for a similar purpose of what Rhydwyn talks about, just offering an alternative idea here for chelating/ reduction of heavy metals in your body, that are impossibe to completely avoid with ''acid-rain'' from nukes in space and chem-trails pouring down on our organic land and spring waters.
    That's great! I'm glad you're taking Diatomaceous earth, it gives you a lot of silica, more than you'd get from this water filter.

I tried it myself and offered it to three other people. The problem is that people don't like taking Diatomaceous earth, and so they don't. None of the people I offered Diatomaceous earth to are taking it, and after a while I stopped taking it, because it's too unpleasant to eat or drink mud.

The good thing about the Berkey water filter is that people want to use it. A lot of people have a water filter already, so they're happy to have it replaced with a better one. I use the water filter myself, and all five of the people I gave a Berkey to are using it.

Because the Berkey is reducing aluminum intake and adding some silica, it will prevent many cases of Alzheimer's disease. If someone already has Alzheimer's, they need much more silica to treat it, so I recommend those patients eat Diatomaceous earth if they're willing, and if they're not, at least put a few tablespoons of Food Grade Diatomaceous earth in the bottom cylinder of the Berkey filter, to add extra silica to the water. On top of that, they should take the other recommended treatments for Alzheimer's found on this forum and on Earth Clinic:
    https://www.earthclinic.com/cures/al...treatment.html

and they should follow the recommendations in the excellent book "Prevent Alzheimer's, Autism and Stroke: With 7-Supplements, 7-Lifestyle Choices, and a Dissolved Mineral":
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1535183160/

The first chapter of that book is online at:
    http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-str...php/chapter-1/

Quote More the merrier...it's very encouraging to see people come up with innovative ideas and solutions against the onslaught, it gives hope that there ultimately is hope, and a cure, for all manmade/created havoc.
    I agree that good will triumph. At first glance the situation looks grim, but more people are awake than ever before, people are waking up faster than ever, and that's the most important thing for good to win.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rhydwyn For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (30th November 2017), Jean-Marie (4th December 2017), Shamz (29th November 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Shamz's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello there ! I have QQ - does the Berkley water filter - out of box - adds silica to filtered water or you need to buy a special filter to do so ?

Also some reverse osmosis filters remove so many good particles from water - i know Berkley is not a reverse osmosis filter but do you know if you need to add anything else or a special filter needed to add good particles ?

thanks
    ~~ Much Love
    In Lak'ech Ala K'in ( I am You and You are me )

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shamz For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (30th November 2017), Jean-Marie (4th December 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Shamz (here)
    Hello there ! I have QQ - does the Berkley water filter - out of box - adds silica to filtered water or you need to buy a special filter to do so ?
    Out of the box, with the Black Berkey elements:
    https://theberkey.com/products/black...lters-set-of-2

Quote Also some reverse osmosis filters remove so many good particles from water - i know Berkley is not a reverse osmosis filter but do you know if you need to add anything else or a special filter needed to add good particles ?

thanks
    Anyone using reverse osmosis filters should use a mineralizer after the water goes through the membrane. A reverse osmosis filter removes everything including silica. Tap water has a small amount of silica (2.5 mg/L in my sample), which removes a small amount of aluminum from the body, reverse osmosis water does not remove any aluminum from the body.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhydwyn For This Post:

Jean-Marie (4th December 2017), Shamz (4th December 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Shamz's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you for your response. Added to my holiday shopping list
    ~~ Much Love
    In Lak'ech Ala K'in ( I am You and You are me )

18. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

The thread being read, it looks like the focus is to get SILICA into the diet, in this case, via a water filter system (and have a good purified water devoid of toxins such as metals like Aluminum, Arsenic, etc.).

I wonder if that Berkey system produces a constant standardized "dose" of silica and what level is that? (I will go to their website then and research the pages they present about their filters, how they operate, what residues (if any) that they leave)..

I personally use ShaveGrass (known as HorseTail) herb caps when I want to add more silica to my diet than I normally get from food.

There is a review of the silica description mechanism that the plant uses (in the stems for instance) on this webpage - https://diatomaceous.org/horsetail-extract/ (Diatomaceous Earth website). There is mention if one is going to supplement with HorseTail, that the vitamin THIAMINE can diminish as the herb contains also thiaminase (an enzyme that breaks down thiamine). There are products apparently out there that claim to be thiaminase-free.

So what would be the dose of silica or possibly orthosilicic-acid that the Berkey water filter would give one per, glass of water, or litre ? I don't know what the form of silica is coming from that particular brand of water filter. OrthoSilicic acid is considered as an "organic" form of silica. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3546016/ (Ortho Silicic Acid is an ORGANIC form of Silica which easily makes it past the digestive system membranes. This article is a good article to read to understand how Silicon is utilized in living systems)

My gut feeling, I would personally want to supplement with a silica containing product such as ShaveGrass (HorseTail), with a known standardized value of silica per dose.

I think the concept of a Berkey "silica adding filter" is quite novel in itself. http://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/w...dispenser.html I am not sure though I found reference on their webpage that such "adds silica" to the water..

On this page waterbenefitshealth.com, there is mention of the ZEN water filter line, which claims to add silica to the water, and costs a lot less than the Berkey system. There was no mention on that page that the Berkey filter adds silica.

So, Looking at the Berkey website (https://www.berkeywater.com/)

Quote * for a complete list of all contaminants removed or reduced, please visit our website at www.berkeywater.com.

For Heavy Metals, Inorganic Minerals, Pesticides, Petroleum, Pharmaceuticals, Semi-VOC’s, THM’s, VOC’s; reduction exceeded lab detection limits.
    In-Organic Mineral - Silica (Silicon Dioxide) is an inorganic mineral - the constituent of QUARTZ. ref: https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=489

Quote Silicon Dioxide is a commonly known inorganic chemical compound composed of both silicon and oxygen.
    So if I connect the dots, Berkey says that its water filter REMOVES inorganic minerals with its filtration system.

HOW then is silica ADDED by the Berkey filter? And if so in what dose level, is it constant, or does it vary? If it varies, under what conditions? Those would be my primary questions..

Assumption: if the filter is using Silica Gel as one of the treatment methods, it could be possible that over time, the filter then re-releases?? the in-organics which it has trapped? (Thereby increasing for instance the SILICA levels as shown in the OP post 1?) Is that what is happening? If that conjecture is in any way accurate, maybe it is not only SILICA being re-released into the water.. In that case I would have a concern about an INCREASE in captured particles over time (i.e. "silica" as the OP example)..

OP what type of determination method are you using to validate mg per litre of Silica in water? How are you cancelling out the affects of other particulates in water if your monitor is optical?
    Last edited by Bob; 4th December 2017 at 19:21.

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

To the mods: Can the title be changed from Silicon to Silica?? we are talking of Silica all along - so the title is wrong and silicon is a very different substance in its use and effect:

What is the difference between silicon and silica?
    – Silicon is a single atom; silica is a molecule, which is an oxide of silicon.
    – Silica has a higher melting point than silicon.
    – Silicon is a semiconductor, but silica doesn’t conduct electricity.
    – Very rarely silicon exists as the pure compound, but silica is very abundant on earth.
    – Crystal silicon is very brittle, but crystal silica is hard.
    http://www.differencebetween.com/dif...and-vs-silica/
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bob (4th December 2017), Shamz (4th December 2017)

21. Link to Post #12
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Great! They make good gifts, no one has refused one yet.

A useful addition is a stainless steel spigot, you can get it from Berkey for 24$:
    https://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey...al-spigot.html

or you can get a generic one on Amazon for 10$:
    https://www.amazon.com/BTSKYTMStainl.../dp/B00SLENBQM

This eliminates the last significant piece of plastic in the Berkey water filter, and it is more durable than the stock Berkey plastic spigot.

22. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    I wonder if that Berkey system produces a constant standardized "dose" of silica and what level is that?
    It does not produce a standardized dose of silica. The net gain of 15 mg/L of silica is from measurements. The silica is getting in presumably because there is fine silica in some form in their water filter cartridge. They don't publish their design, but water filter cartridges often have a diatomaceous earth stage. The Berkey has an ultrafine filter, so they probably have silica in an ultrafine form at some stage. The finer the silica, and the slower the water flows through the silica, the more silica gets into the water.

Water goes through the Brita countertop filter quickly, and it adds only a small amount of silica, about 1 mg/L.

Quote There is mention if one is going to supplement with HorseTail, that the vitamin THIAMINE can diminish as the herb contains also thiaminase (an enzyme that breaks down thiamine). There are products apparently out there that claim to be thiaminase-free.
    Silica supplements either have side effects and/or they are more expensive than filtered water. There are no known adverse effects from drinking silica rich water.

Silica supplements are probably worthwhile if the patient requires an extra dose of silica on top of silica from water, like if the patient is suffering from Alzheimer's disease, autism, or cardiovascular disease. In those cases, the extra healing would probably offset the extra cost and side effects of a silica supplement.

Quote So what would be the dose of silica or possibly orthosilicic-acid that the Berkey water filter would give one per, glass of water, or litre ?
    In my measurement, the Berkey filter added about 15 mg/L of silica to the water.

Quote I think the concept of a Berkey "silica adding filter" is quite novel in itself. http://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/w...dispenser.html I am not sure though I found reference on their webpage that such "adds silica" to the water.
    Berkey did not know that their water filter adds silica to the water. I sent them an email with my measurements, they asked for the report, and I sent it.

Quote On this page waterbenefitshealth.com, there is mention of the ZEN water filter line, which claims to add silica to the water, and costs a lot less than the Berkey system.
    The Zen water filter is plastic. Plastic should not be in water, so I recommend that people not buy water filters made of plastic, even if it's cheaper.

Quote So, Looking at the Berkey website (https://www.berkeywater.com/)
    For Heavy Metals, Inorganic Minerals, Pesticides, Petroleum, Pharmaceuticals, Semi-VOC’s, THM’s, VOC’s; reduction exceeded lab detection limits.

In-Organic Mineral - Silica (Silicon Dioxide) is an inorganic mineral - the constituent of QUARTZ. ref: https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=489
    The Berkey does not remove silica, or other inorganic minerals like calcium and magnesium. This is a good thing, because silica, calcium and magnesium should be in water. That part of their website is poorly written.

Quote OP what type of determination method are you using to validate mg per litre of Silica in water?
    The test was for Silica, Reactive as (SiO2).
    Last edited by Rhydwyn; 25th December 2017 at 10:12.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhydwyn For This Post:

Ewan (25th December 2017)

24. Link to Post #14
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Rhydwyn - thanks for some feedback. I would like to know the actual test that You used to determine the actual silica content. You never told me the equipment or method, which I certainly would like to know, so that I can verify the level of accuracy of the technique and see if it actually looked at just Silica or was the "test" experiencing for instance normal turbidity, or interference from other elements. There is just not enough data in your comment to look at that carefully. That would be the basis too then, for saying the Berkey filter PUTS silica in one's filtered drinking water..

As to the Berkey not removing inorganic elements or inorganic compounds -

Quote So, Looking at the Berkey website (https://www.berkeywater.com/)

Quote-" Rhydwyn "
    The Berkey does not remove silica, or other inorganic minerals like calcium and magnesium. This is a good thing, because silica, calcium and magnesium should be in water. That part of their website is poorly written.
    If that's the case then the MANUFACTURER can not write up an accurate technical report, or their "LAB" has some serious issues - If that's either case, I certainly won't try their filter.. nor would I recommend such to any of our Forum members.

If you are correct with your observations (as stated in your quote above), about calcium and magnesium (as well as silica being present in the resultant "filtered water"), it would seem to me maybe shoddy technology could possibly exist in the construction of the filtering elements, and poor data from the manufacturer then would lead me to be very very skeptical about "any claims".. Especially I have a worry then that their FILTER may actually then be DUMPING captured IMPURITIES or SUBSTANCES BACK INTO one's water. You reported amplified Silica levels in the output water, greater than your source raw water. There is probably only one logical reason for that.

They say their LAB TESTS ("reduction exceeded lab detection limits") showed NO inorganics (that means NO SILICA), no Magnesium, no Calcium, no IRON to name a few.

What tests did you do to show that their filter does emit detectable Calcium, Magnesium and may be IRON back into the drinking water that is said by the manufacturer to be devoid of such? You made a statement saying their filter DOES NOT remove Calcium and Magnesium. WHAT is the basis of your statement, what TESTS did you do to determine for instance the levels (similarly to your 'silica' test(s) ?)

Quote-" Rhydwyn "
    What was the calibration standard for your test(s) to show accuracy?

In your post # 3 you say what your input (raw water) Silica percentages are and you say what the OUTPUT (filtered water from the manufacturer's filter) levels are:

Quote The test results are as follows:

Tap Water: 2.48 mg/L of silica
    Water from Brita: 3.52 mg/L of silica
    Water from Berkey: 17.8 mg/L of silica
    As to plastic, properly designed plastics which for instance coat the insides of metal cans which have preserved foods/beverages for years and years have been proven safe. Those plastics which contain synthetic estrogens are not safe, and there is a trend to remove such.

I would go with a FILTER which won't apparently flush its contents (HIGHLY concentrated) back into ones DRINKING WATER way before the "expiration date", which it seems to me, without further data, (since as you say the manufacturer didn't respond that you saw INCREASED silica in their "filtered" water).. all that I can logically believe is that the FILTER IS DUMPING it's contents, small amounts, initially BACK into one's drinking water.

I can only imagine if one's starting raw water water has traces of ARSENIC, if the filter then would capture, concentrate and then DUMP such an element back into the drinking water.. Your Silica test seems to say the amounts of a silica "filtered substance" INCREASES. That is worrisome.. Manufacturer says NO DETECTED inorganics present, you say, inorganic present, in increased amounts than the starting raw water.. worrisome to me.

I can only imagine if the filter also then dumps at certain times the inorganic ALUMINUM compounds or oxides back into the water (possibly when it is saturated or 'clogged' maybe).. After all, isn't ALUMINUM OXIDE, a large part of the earths crust?

Quote In-ORGANIC chemical Symbol % of Crust parts per million (PPM)
    Silicon dioxide SiO2 42.86% 428,600
    Magnesium oxide MgO 35.07% 350,700
    Ferrous oxide FeO 8.97% 89,700
    Aluminum oxide Al2O3 6.99% 69,900
    Calcium oxide CaO 4.37% 43,700
    Sodium oxide Na2O 0.45% 4,500
    Ferric oxide Fe2O3 0.36% 3,600
    Titanium dioxide TiO2 0.33% 3,300
    Chromic oxide Cr2O3 0.18% 1,800
    Manganese dioxide MnO2 0.14% 1,400
    And then as to supplementing with SILICA, as you point out the dose is probably arbitrary what comes out Berkey Filter, probably due to some conditions of the filter (probably clogged in some way I would assume); I would rather use a standardized known dose if I want to not haphazardly dose myself with "filter residues" (if that is where it's coming from)..

Such known standard supplementing of Silica (capsule form) certainly does cost WAY LESS than having to buy an expensive stainless steel filter housing and replace the filter element regularly when it is dumping its contents back into the drinking water. TO have to do 'tests' to see when the filter is "saturated" and dumping its contents back into the end drinking water seems expensive, tedious, and an awful way to have to deal with a "filter system".

I personally would search for a filter that does NOT appear to dump its contents back into the drinking water.. That is the only logical conclusion when one points out that the manufacturer says, no inorganics make it to the end drinking water. But you tell the Forum, they do come out of the filter in the "analyzed drinking water".. Something then is getting thru a "filter" when the manufacturer says, no detection found, their LAB says so.

If that's really the case, there is a problem with trusting ANY data coming out of Berkey then, based on your observations of inorganic SILICA (SiO2) present in your reported 'test'.
    Last edited by Bob; 25th December 2017 at 20:14.

25. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,108 times in 1,389 posts

FiJi water contains 92mg/L of silica, and bottled without air contact was bought by a Canadian Business man with few philanthropist chip- ins 20 years ago. Canadian governments (lobbied by another canadian monopoly company Brita) over taxed the product ($3,5 L) to stop reaching regular citizens.
    Love and Hope

+ Reply to Thread