+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hawking: The Man and His Warnings

1. Link to Post #1
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,332 times in 1,632 posts

Exclamation Stephen Hawking: The Man and His Warnings

RT.com published an article today on another warning from Stephen Hawking on the danger of AI/robots. Hawking is one of the most wired people on the planet. Could he be AI? It seems like a silly question, I know, but I heard Dane Wigington at GeoEngineeringWatch comment about it in one of his videos.

Excerpt from the RT.com article:

"I fear that AI may replace humans altogether,” the renowned physicist told Wired magazine, as cited by the Cambridge News. “If people design computer viruses, someone will design AI that improves and replicates itself. This will be a new form of life that outperforms humans,” Hawking added.

Robots could be the worst thing ever for humanity, warns Stephen Hawking. However, humanity itself has already reached “the point of no return” and may destroy itself first, the 75-year-old academic predicts. “Our earth is becoming too small for us, global population is increasing at an alarming rate and we are in danger of self-destructing."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th November 2017), justntime2learn (4th November 2017), Satori (7th November 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,881 times in 2,121 posts

Default Re: Stephen Hawking: The Man and His Warnings

Quote Posted by LadyM (here)
    RT.com published an article today on another warning from Stephen Hawking on the danger of AI/robots. Hawking is one of the most wired people on the planet. Could he be AI? It seems like a silly question, I know, but I heard Dane Wigington at GeoEngineeringWatch comment about it in one of his videos.

"I fear that AI may replace humans altogether,” the renowned physicist told Wired magazine, as cited by the Cambridge News. “If people design computer viruses, someone will design AI that improves and replicates itself. This will be a new form of life that outperforms humans,” Hawking added.

Robots could be the worst thing ever for humanity, warns Stephen Hawking. However, humanity itself has already reached “the point of no return” and may destroy itself first, the 75-year-old academic predicts. “Our earth is becoming too small for us, global population is increasing at an alarming rate and we are in danger of self-destructing."
    Hello LadyM and excellent point !

I have been wondering the same thing for about a year now.

It seems as though mr. Hawkings needs a thread of his own for all the doomsday predictions he has offered in the past couple years. I'm not saying he's wrong about any of his predictions, but I question the intent.

How many feel greed and aggression are inbuilt into your genome? I do not feel or see this in many others, so am I human?

"I fear evolution has inbuilt greed and aggression to the human genome… The best hope for the survival of the human race might be independent colonies in space," Hawking reiterated to the BBC.

Link:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...g-earth-venus/

Many blessings
    Last edited by justntime2learn; 4th November 2017 at 13:15.
    “To develop a complete mind: Study the art of science; study the science of art. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” – Leonardo Da Vinci

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th November 2017), happyuk (11th November 2017), Noelle (4th November 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by justntime2learn (here)

It seems as though mr. Hawkings needs a thread of his own for all the doomsday predictions he has offered in the past couple years. I'm not saying he's wrong about any of his predictions, but I question the intent.

How many feel greed and aggression are inbuilt into your genome? I do not feel or see this in many others, so am I human?

"I fear evolution has inbuilt greed and aggression to the human genome… The best hope for the survival of the human race might be independent colonies in space," Hawking reiterated to the BBC.

Many blessings
    I agree. He should have his own thread. Pulling from a paper I wrote on Hawking and his computer and network of people, here are some interesting things to know about him:

1. The computer program that Hawking has used to communicate since 1985 was developed by Walt Woltosz, an American aerospace and computer expert (worked at Northrop). The program was the first adaptive word prediction program.

2. In 1997, Hawking’s system received a major upgrade, courtesy of Intel Corp. The system, which he still uses today but is upgraded every two years, includes a tablet computer mounted on the arm of his motorized wheelchair and is powered by the wheelchair’s batteries, according to Hawking’s website. In addition to the Equalizer program, the system features EZ Keys, a program that provides an on-screen keyboard and a word prediction algorithm, which complete his words after he selects a character or two. Today, because all of his limbs are inoperable, Hawking selects characters on the on-screen keyboard by twitching his cheek muscle—the movement is detected by an infrared sensor that is attached to his glasses.

3. Much of what Hawking communicates comes not from his brain, but rather from information stored in his computer, like his books and papers, speeches and previous media interviews.

4. His rise as a celebrity-scientist is anomalous. His Brief History book was a bestseller, but it was incomprehensible to most who bought it. Also, while undoubtedly a genius and admired, I've read from various sources that he is not the "greatest" living physicist or theoretical physicist. There are several who are more prolific than him.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Bruno (8th November 2017), Feritciva (7th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th November 2017), genevieve (8th November 2017), justntime2learn (4th November 2017), Satori (7th November 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by justntime2learn (here)

Many blessings
    I agree. He should have his own thread. Pulling from a paper I wrote on Hawking and his computer and network of people, here are some interesting things to know about him:

1. The computer program that Hawking has used to communicate since 1985 was developed by Walt Woltosz, an American aerospace and computer expert (worked at Northrop). The program was the first adaptive word prediction program.

2. In 1997, Hawking’s system received a major upgrade, courtesy of Intel Corp. The system, which he still uses today but is upgraded every two years, includes a tablet computer mounted on the arm of his motorized wheelchair and is powered by the wheelchair’s batteries, according to Hawking’s website. In addition to the Equalizer program, the system features EZ Keys, a program that provides an on-screen keyboard and a word prediction algorithm, which complete his words after he selects a character or two. Today, because all of his limbs are inoperable, Hawking selects characters on the on-screen keyboard by twitching his cheek muscle—the movement is detected by an infrared sensor that is attached to his glasses.

3. Much of what Hawking communicates comes not from his brain, but rather from information stored in his computer, like his books and papers, speeches and previous media interviews.

4. His rise as a celebrity-scientist is anomalous. His Brief History book was a bestseller, but it was incomprehensible to most who bought it. Also, while undoubtedly a genius and admired, I've read from various sources that he is not the "greatest" living physicist or theoretical physicist. There are several who are more prolific than him.
    "And aliens aren’t the only powerful species that Professor Hawking has warned might kill us just because we are so insignificant that they can’t think to do otherwise"

"He has also said that artificial intelligence could eventually become so clever that it will accidentally kill us."

"It’s far from the first time that Professor Hawking has warned about the risk of chatting to aliens. When he helped launch the Breakthrough Listen project last year, he warned that any alien that we did actually hear probably wouldn’t be interested in killing us – precisely because it would have barely any interest in us at all."

“The real risk with AI isn't malice but competence,” Professor Hawking said last year. “A super intelligent AI will be extremely good at accomplishing its goals, and if those goals aren't aligned with ours, we're in trouble.

“You're probably not an evil ant-hater who steps on ants out of malice, but if you're in charge of a hydroelectric green energy project and there's an anthill in the region to be flooded, too bad for the ants. Let's not place humanity in the position of those ants.”

Link:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7326256.html

"Aliens Could Land Soon, Stephen Hawking Warns of the End of Humans
    KEVIN BURWICK11.05.2017"

"Dr. Douglas Vakoch, the president of METI (Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligence), an organization that has been sending radio signals into deep space in the hope that they will get a response, says that he believes we will make contact with aliens within the next 10 to 20 years. There are many critics out there, Stephen Hawking being one of them, that claim that making contact with powerful, intelligent extraterrestrials may be a dangerous idea that could end all of mankind. Dr. Vakoch says we will soon find intelligent life elsewhere in the cosmos due to the better technology that is available to experts now, but should we initiate the conversation?"

Link:https://movieweb.com/real-alien-inva...wking-warning/

Could Professor Hawking have an agenda ?

Last edited by justntime2learn; 7th November 2017 at 03:50.
    “To develop a complete mind: Study the art of science; study the science of art. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” – Leonardo Da Vinci

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Feritciva (7th November 2017), genevieve (8th November 2017), Noelle (7th November 2017), Satori (7th November 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Turkey Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 times in 216 posts

The info on Stephen Hawking in these last couple of posts is really interesting. Mods, is it possible to start a new thread on SH with revelant posts here? This should not escape from attention.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feritciva For This Post:

justntime2learn (7th November 2017), Noelle (7th November 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Feritciva (here)
    The info on Stephen Hawking in these last couple of posts is really interesting. Mods, is it possible to start a new thread on SH with revelant posts here? This should not escape from attention.
    I nominate LadyM to start a thread.

I noticed Google's algorithms seem to be on Professor Hawkins doomsday predictions side ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Noelle (7th November 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Hawking has ventured way outside of the realm of theoretical physics & cosmology over the past decade. I wonder how all of his predictions over the years line up.

I do recall Hawking was a guest at "Little St. James", an island owned by a registered-sex offender billionaire named Epstein who has been accused of sex trafficking on that island. I tend to question how people associated with these scumbags keep making the headlines.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

justntime2learn (8th November 2017), Noelle (7th November 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,087 times in 2,422 posts

Based on the descriptions provided herein regarding Hawking, he is as close to AI as a person can get. He's utterly dependent on technology to move about, speak, write, think, eat, etc.... I think it's clear there is something about AI that he has developed doubts and concerns about.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

justntime2learn (8th November 2017), Molly4US (11th November 2017), Noelle (8th November 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by JoefromtheCarolinas (here)
    Hawking has ventured way outside of the realm of theoretical physics & cosmology over the past decade. I wonder how all of his predictions over the years line up.

I do recall Hawking was a guest at "Little St. James", an island owned by a registered-sex offender billionaire named Epstein who has been accused of sex trafficking on that island. I tend to question how people associated with these scumbags keep making the headlines.
    I did not know about his visit to that island, but you're right. Here's an article on it, with a photo of him at a BBQ.

Stephen Hawking pictured on Jeffrey Epstein's 'Island of Sin'

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Joe from the Carolinas (8th November 2017), justntime2learn (8th November 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Ireland Avalon Member aoibhghaire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,469 times in 858 posts

May be this is possible explanation as to why Hawking has been trending towards fear.
    See 3 June 2016: Project Avalon, Conspiracy Theory, Has Stephen Hawking being replaced.

Rich Hall has a part 3 talk about Steven Hawking possibly being dead for years and replaced.

starts at the 29 min mark of part 3

http://www.richplanet.net/starship_m...ref=223&part=3

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aoibhghaire For This Post:

happyuk (11th November 2017), justntime2learn (8th November 2017), Noelle (8th November 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

The original link didn't work. Here follows Steven Hawking possibly being dead for years and replaced.

Richard Hall Segment on Stephen Hawking [2016]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WaE_9Xeao

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aoibhghaire For This Post:

happyuk (11th November 2017), justntime2learn (8th November 2017), Noelle (8th November 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 times in 1,689 posts

I agree with Stephen Hawking's warnings about AI completely. We are creatures of logic and of love and feelings (which stem from our biology). The AI will not have the feeling portion of our world temper its logic. Our feelings are a mix of decisions which allow us to survive if we include others feelings (empathy) in our decisions. We have developed a moral code which is much more than logical. When challenged due to conflict between logic and love, we may self-sacrifice or defer; but the machine/logic mind will not. Also, those over the machine are likely to structure it to make decisions in their favor, the few over the many. This is really really dangerous territory, a trap which man should avoid in order to be FREE.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

genevieve (8th November 2017), justntime2learn (8th November 2017), Molly4US (11th November 2017), Noelle (8th November 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by aoibhghaire (here)
    May be this is possible explanation as to why Hawking has been trending towards fear.
    See 3 June 2016: Project Avalon, Conspiracy Theory, Has Stephen Hawking being replaced.

Rich Hall has a part 3 talk about Steven Hawking possibly being dead for years and replaced.

starts at the 29 min mark of part 3

http://www.richplanet.net/starship_m...ref=223&part=3
    Thanks for the post, but there seems to be something wrong with the link. As for what you said in the third sentence, it did cross my mind. Could he be a hybrid cyborg-human in disguise as a scientist with Lou Gehrig's Disease?

Two interesting facts about the disease, also called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)*:

1. Typically emerges between ages 40 to 60. (Hawking was diagnosed with it at age 21.)
    2. Most people diagnosed with ALS die of respiratory failure within three to five years of diagnosis. (Hawking is 75 years old.)

*Source of ALS stats: https://www.livescience.com/39583-al...s-disease.html

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

justntime2learn (8th November 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

LadyM, the link is on post 11.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to aoibhghaire For This Post:

Noelle (8th November 2017)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

And yet another prediction from Hawking, published today on RT.com today. I did not know about his project with Milner and Zuckerberg to help us escape to other solar systems.

The planet will be overcrowded by 2600 and increased power consumption will turn Earth into a sizzling fireball, according to the Cambridge mastermind.

Hawking offered some hope however via his Breakthrough Starshot project. The $100m research programme backed by Russian Internet billionaire Yuri Milner and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg aims to reach the closest star outside of our solar system, in the hope that a livable planet might be orbiting it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

justntime2learn (8th November 2017)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Published on Jan 8, 2017

"Stephen Hawking has been quoted as saying that it is perfectly
    rational to assume intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe."

"But while the discovery of life on another world may sound exciting, Hawking also believes that if a race of beings were sufficiently advanced enough to reach us, they would pose a huge threat to everyone and everything here on Earth.

How will our first interactions with a visiting alien civilization take place? Observation would likely be followed by covert visitation by the aliens in order to judge our abilities and technological level even further. If man were to meet an alien race tomorrow, could our existing infrastructure cope? We have to assume that a sufficiently advanced civilisation is aware of the dangers of disease to both parties, so hopefully they'll have brought protection along for this intergalactic booty call. Whether or not an alien race shares our concepts of good and evil is hard to say, but that's probably how we'll judge them, so how can we be so sure they'll come to us with good intentions?"

32. The Following User Says Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Noelle (11th November 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    South Africa Avalon Member JohanB's Avatar
    Language
    Afrikaans
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 times in 166 posts

I heard the other day over the radio his computer voice is "copyrighted" - not sure if it's true...

Old article about his voice here:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...-voice-speaks/
    Life is good, almost always !

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanB For This Post:

justntime2learn (11th November 2017), Noelle (11th November 2017)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Quote Posted by JohanB (here)
    I heard the other day over the radio his computer voice is "copyrighted" - not sure if it's true...

Old article about his voice here:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...-voice-speaks/
    Awesome! Interesting to know about his voice and raises more questions ...

I should have wrote a brief explanation as I went a bit off topic again.

I found the "5 things" interesting as some would believe several have happened.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Noelle (11th November 2017)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,558 times in 5,028 posts

I watched the Stephen Hawkings movie The Theory of everything a couple of months ago. If you have not yet seen it I highly recommend it.

When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

justntime2learn (11th November 2017), Noelle (11th November 2017)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 times in 595 posts

... Could he be a hybrid cyborg-human in disguise as a scientist with Lou Gehrig's Disease?

Two interesting facts about the disease, also called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)*:

1. Typically emerges between ages 40 to 60. (Hawking was diagnosed with it at age 21.)
    2. Most people diagnosed with ALS die of respiratory failure within three to five years of diagnosis. (Hawking is 75 years old.)...
    Agreed.
    I wonder if the original Hawking is actually still alive or is the one we see today a fill-in?
    I read some time ago that the original Hawking passed on some time ago but the death was hidden from the masses to cash in on his popularity.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

justntime2learn (12th November 2017), Noelle (12th November 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast