+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spilled Secrets Have Shaken the N.S.A.

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default Spilled Secrets Have Shaken the N.S.A.

Security Breach and
    Spilled Secrets Have Shaken
    the N.S.A. to Its Core

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/12/u...w-brokers.html

Jake Williams, a former member of the National Security Agency’s hacking unit.
    The Shadow Brokers, a mysterious group that obtained N.S.A. cybertools,
    identified his work for the agency on Twitter. Credit Dustin Chambers for The
    New York Times

A serial leak of the agency’s cyberweapons has damaged
    morale, slowed intelligence operations and resulted in
    hacking attacks on businesses and civilians worldwide.

WASHINGTON — Jake Williams awoke last April in an Orlando, Fla., hotel where he was leading a training session. Checking Twitter, Mr. Williams, a cybersecurity expert, was dismayed to discover that he had been thrust into the middle of one of the worst security debacles ever to befall American intelligence.

Mr. Williams had written on his company blog about the Shadow Brokers, a mysterious group that had somehow obtained many of the hacking tools the United States used to spy on other countries. Now the group had replied in an angry screed on Twitter. It identified him — correctly — as a former member of the National Security Agency’s hacking group, Tailored Access Operations, or T.A.O., a job he had not publicly disclosed. Then the Shadow Brokers astonished him by dropping technical details that made clear they knew about highly classified hacking operations that he had conducted.

America’s largest and most secretive intelligence agency had been deeply infiltrated..................................

LONG ARTICLE BUT INTERESTING .

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Bruno (16th November 2017), ceetee9 (16th November 2017), Chuck (16th November 2017), Ewan (15th November 2017), findingneo (16th November 2017), fourty-two (16th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th November 2017), ghostrider (19th November 2017), happyuk (15th November 2017), Hervé (15th November 2017), Jayke (15th November 2017), justntime2learn (15th November 2017), Kryztian (16th November 2017), Star Tsar (16th November 2017), zen deik (16th November 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 times in 410 posts

Default Re: Spilled Secrets Have Shaken the N.S.A.

Hi ramus, I agree it is a very interesting article. I posted it here (page 10, post 198 in the "Very Bad Day Scenario..." thread) originally, but the article was later declared misinformation by Q, a military insider(s) posting on the 4CHAN forum. This is divulged later in that same "A Very Bad Day Scenario..." thread.

However, I still believe it to be informative because it authenticates the reality of "Q group", it identifies some of the players in the cyber war games and describes some of the history of them. Q, I think will argue that it smears the good guys too much while promoting the CIA in a positive narrative.
    Last edited by Chuck; 16th November 2017 at 08:41. Reason: try to get the link to work but failing...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chuck For This Post:

Bruno (16th November 2017), Ewan (16th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th November 2017), Hervé (16th November 2017), RunningDeer (16th November 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re: Spilled Secrets Have Shaken the N.S.A.

Quote Posted by Chuck (here)
    Hi ramus, I agree it is a very interesting article. I posted it here (page 10, post 198 in the "Very Bad Day Scenario..." thread) originally, but the article was later declared misinformation by Q, a military insider(s) posting on the 4CHAN forum. This is divulged later in that same "A Very Bad Day Scenario..." thread.

However, I still believe it to be informative because it authenticates the reality of "Q group", it identifies some of the players in the cyber war games and describes some of the history of them. Q, I think will argue that it smears the good guys too much while promoting the CIA in a positive narrative.
    link correction - post #198

Chuck, trouble shoot solution - your link didn't work because it had a double http://http:// in the address.

Quote Posted by Chuck (here)
    some revealing information in this article today, including a tidbit from an NSA's counterintelligence arm, known as Q Group.

Security Breach and Spilled Secrets Have Shaken the N.S.A. to Its Core
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 16th November 2017 at 09:25.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bruno (16th November 2017), Chuck (16th November 2017), Ewan (16th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th November 2017), Hervé (16th November 2017), Kryztian (16th November 2017)

+ Reply to Thread