+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst 1 5 15 25 35 LastLast

Thread: Racism

1. Link to Post #281
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,676 posts

Default Re: Racism

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)

Germans were stressed, had been shat on by foreign powers, demoralized and etc... They didn't WANT to know what happened to people they considered weak, inferior, part of their past problems...on and on.
    Not sure the German people considered Jews and Gypsies weak, inferior, etc. Maybe the braintrust of the Nazi party did, but I would say even the outer ranks of the Nazi party were simply automatons who knew not what they did. Regardless, Germans and Nazis are not the same thing. For the most part it is human nature to fall in line rather than resist, even when you know something is immoral and wrong.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

AutumnW (8th June 2019), Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2019), Mark (14th June 2019), Mike (9th June 2019)

3. Link to Post #282
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

T-Smith,

Most Germans became Nazis after Hitler came to power. It's understandable. He gave them hope and jobs. Sound familiar? And then, yes, they were susceptible to all of the brainwashing and ego stroking that being an Aryan entailed. They were very human, but their culture which had been historically quite open and cultivated and likely pretty humane became very sociopathic.

Sociopaths and psychopaths as individuals are all shadow and ego, all the time, though they manage to hide it some of the time, depending on the situation. Sociopathic traits in a society can be overt or covert or a mix of both. Shadow and light, conscious and unconscious and sometimes both at the same time about the same topic.

That being said, I think we are improving. More people are aware and working for a better world. I have hope

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2019), Mark (14th June 2019), Mike (9th June 2019), Strat (8th June 2019), T Smith (8th June 2019), Wind (9th June 2019)

5. Link to Post #283
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

When it comes to eating (factory produced) meat I would suggest that people were educated and shown in schools how the meat in neat packages are really prepared. I think it might be too traumatic to show such horrific factory conditions to children, but at least teenagers should know how they're participating in with the mass slaughter and then make a choice if they want to continue on that path. I certainly never saw anything like that in school and when I first discovered such material I was so shocked that I started to contemplate on becoming a vegetarian. Another thing that turned me into a vegetarian was when I got my dog. He reminds me of a pig so what's the difference between him and pigs? I wouldn't want to eat either. Then again, I was never that much into meat eating anyways so it was somewhat easy to stop doing that. I could sacrifice my selfishness so others wouldn't have to so suffer so much.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

AutumnW (10th June 2019), Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2019), Mark (14th June 2019), Mike (9th June 2019), onevoice (26th June 2019), Valerie Villars (10th June 2019)

7. Link to Post #284
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,312 times in 5,692 posts

quick mod note: i just included this in Star Mariner's recent thread 'Diversity Is Not Strength' thread and thought it might be relevant here too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for opening up this discussion star mariner.

i think i would say *forced* diversity isn't strength. but i do understand why it is encouraged sometimes.

nuanced topic. exclusivity certainly isn't the solution either.

devil's advocate here: ever since the jordan peterson phenomena began, we've been having this conversation about identity politics. what are "identity politics"? without looking it up, it would seem to be that it is a term used to describe a group or groups of people who use sex and race and sexual orientation to curry favor and/or use victimhood to push forward various agendas.

and there is certainly some of that going on.

other concepts that peterson has introduced to the mass consciousness are:
    1)equality of outcome: tyrannically forcing equity amongst people of all races and sex and sexual orientation in the workplace, universities, athletics, clubs, groups, so forth.
    2)equality of opportunity: giving everyone the same opportunities and the freedom to choose

2 seems the reasonable route, but what if certain groups aren't getting equal opportunity? what then???

well, then they are forced to play "identity politics" because their group or groups have been unfairly treated and discriminated against.

to play devil's advocate here again, it appears some folks are forced to play identity politics as a result of various institutions identifying them solely as their group...be it color, sex, sexual orientation etc

they may not be getting "equal opportunity" and therefore have no choice but to stand up for themselves. when they do, they are ridiculed and their movement slapped with accusatory labels, like "identity politics".

sometimes it seems like an underhanded and sneaky way of using language to suggest something noble is instead sinister and agenda-driven.

take race, for example. when this argument is made against someone like a ben shapiro or a crowder or whoever, they will generally jump in and demand stats and pie charts and study results proving that discrimination exists..as if something like racism would be overtly written into legislation

in the words of comic bill burr: "..real racism is quiet, it's subtle...people look around first, make sure the coast is clear....there's disclaimers involved, like "you know i'm not racist but (fill in group name followed by f#cked up conversation)..that's how it goes down

he goes on: (paraphrase)..."there's not gonna be any white guys standing up in a swimming pool saying, "...there's negros in the pool!! does anyone approve of this?? i work down the street at the bank...can i get fired immediately please!"

T. Smith's last paragraph sums up very coherently my feelings as well:

Quote It's so very important to raise awareness of the agenda underlying cultural Marxism without unintentionally employing it as a tacit apology for legitimate racism and sexism. It's a slippery slope.
    Last edited by Mike; 9th June 2019 at 19:13.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

AutumnW (10th June 2019), Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2019), Mark (14th June 2019), Valerie Villars (9th June 2019)

9. Link to Post #285
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Thanks Mike. That was excellent. Hard to fathom those who say that racial prejudice against African Americans doesn't exist. Ben Shapiro's such a dweeb.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2019), Mark (14th June 2019), Mike (10th June 2019)

11. Link to Post #286
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

You cannot legislate racism out of existence.

I have been contemplating the similarity of the definitions I last posted. Those definitions show how racism is institutionalized. The more I consider the roots of racism the more it becomes apparent that racism is and was invented as an excuse to justify immoral acts perpetrated against minorities within larger groups.

Racism is just one form of this. Stereotypes are also an expression of this dynamic, just as laws designed to curtail the actions of particular groups within society.

There is also the novelty factor to account for - so the first encounter with a race that has visible differences will become the basis for explaining superiority.

Racism is a means to excuse the exclusivity of a society.

Now that natiionhood is under attack, institutionized racism has to be abolished.

That is why the proud pure races of Europe are currently under attack. It is these sort of nations that invented racism in the first place...
    Last edited by Ernie Nemeth; 10th June 2019 at 16:18.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Mark (14th June 2019), Mike (11th June 2019), ulli (14th June 2019), Valerie Villars (14th June 2019)

13. Link to Post #287
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    T Smith,

I think that whole societies can have sociopathic traits, particularly when it comes to the treatment of the 'other.' Empathy is not extended to those who are judged as that different, belonging to a different tribe...etc... And if empathy is not extended and repulsion added to the mix it can become horribly cruel. This is best exemplified in atrocities of war, but it can happen within a culture as well.

Currently our treatment of domesticated farm animals in agri-business wins awards for sociopathic behavior. Those who eat meat, in an unconscious way, are no different than Germans who didn't give a thought as to where Jews, Poles, Gypsie, the disabled, were disappearing to, during the Holocaust.
    Amen!!! This is the sad truth that few are willing to look at. If animals don't have a personal attachment ( a pet, companion animal, service animal ect.) to humans many can just put the blinders on and forget the suffering involved in having it placed all neatly wrapped in the grocery store. How would many feel having a farm factory of animals that looked like their favorite dog or cat being tortured?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Constance (11th June 2019), Mark (14th June 2019), Mike (11th June 2019), T Smith (6th July 2019), Valerie Villars (14th June 2019)

15. Link to Post #288
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

This undoing whiteness yoga horse manure makes me want to vomit. I am assuming this is in California?
    “The World is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don’t do anything about it.”
    Albert Einstein

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Joe (14th June 2019), Kryztian (14th June 2019)

17. Link to Post #289
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,160 times in 13,484 posts

While in Hongkong I lived with a Chinese family. Each family member had their good and bad days. All were simply human. When I got back to London white people suddenly looked pink and had big noses. Then I lived in Barbados, for years, immersed in West Indian culture, and also white wealthy culture. There I stayed in the homes of many of my black friends. Prejudice was undeniable, both sides were hyper, but the worst was from white Americans towards me whom they considered a white priviledge person. So I find now that today’s racism is policing whites more than the original racism. These racial police seem to like to fan the flames. Like sixties radical feminism, which actually ended up being counter-productive because of the rude manners of the militant end of the spectrum.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

James (14th June 2019), Joe (14th June 2019), Mark (14th June 2019)

19. Link to Post #290
    Thanks

Ya. And dont forget...brown eyed people are superior to blue eyed. Bunch of bs
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Joe (14th June 2019), Mark (14th June 2019), ulli (14th June 2019)

21. Link to Post #291
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Joe (here)
    [B]

In this class we will:
    • have a discussion around the pathology of whiteness .....
    Whiteness is not a pathology. Hard for me to take anything past this assertion seriously.

If one paid tuition for this class she or he should demand their money back.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

Joe (14th June 2019), Mark (14th June 2019)

23. Link to Post #292
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Quote Posted by Rahkyt (here)
    Morton believed that people could be divided into five races and that these represented separate acts of creation. The races had distinct characters, which corresponded to their place in a divinely determined hierarchy. Morton’s “craniometry” showed, he claimed, that whites, or “Caucasians,” were the most intelligent of the races. East Asians—Morton used the term “Mongolian”—though “ingenious” and “susceptible of cultivation,” were one step down. Next came Southeast Asians, followed by Native Americans. Blacks, or “Ethiopians,” were at the bottom. In the decades before the Civil War, Morton’s ideas were quickly taken up by the defenders of slavery.
    Of course, every "race" is a variation of brown, from almost black to almost white. There is no red or yellow race.
    Not surprisingly, skin color mythology was started by a German:

http://www.8asians.com/2011/05/09/wh...asians-yellow/

"Johann Friedrich Blumenbach (1752–1840), one of the founders of what some call scientific racism theories, came up with the five color typology for humans: white people (the Caucasian or white race), more or less black people (the Ethiopian or black race), yellow people (the Mongolian or yellow race), cinnamon-brown or flame colored people (the American or red race) and brown people (the Malay or brown race). Blumenbach listed the “races” in a hierarchic order of physical similarities: Caucasian, followed by American, followed by Mongolian, followed by Malayan, followed by Ethiopian."

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

AutumnW (6th July 2019), Mark (8th July 2019), onevoice (26th June 2019), Valerie Villars (23rd June 2019)

25. Link to Post #293
    Thanks

Just an observation...

There are visible differences in the races that no one had to invent. There are indeed different hues of skin color, anyone can see that for themselves. Each race has various ethnicities, these were also not invented. Most of these had to do with isolation and common bonds either because of ideology or war. After thousands of years each race subdivided into the many countries now on our map. The countries vary in degree in terms of race, with most modern countries being conglomerations of different races.

Europe is an exception. In Europe most races are almost exclusively white, and due to long-standing regional borders, the main differences between the countries is not race but language. Even though the german's call themselves a race, as does every other country, in fact they are one race that has subdivided over many centuries of cohesion.

So my point is that race has many connotations, many interpretations, not all to do with strict definitions and precise nomenclature.

We are all one race - human. Yes. We are many races defined by physical borders. Yes. One of the ways to define race is by skin color. Yes. Another way of defining race is by language. Yes.

Culture, race, society, country, religion, ideology, history, myth, legend, and more are used as means to divide and instill hatred to ensure the race of humanity never unites to rid itself of its masters - an alien race from the stars!(perhaps?...)
    Last edited by Ernie Nemeth; 2nd July 2019 at 15:09.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

AutumnW (6th July 2019), Mark (8th July 2019), T Smith (26th June 2019), Valerie Villars (23rd June 2019)

27. Link to Post #294
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,463 times in 2,850 posts

Excellent discussion on such an important topic. Since I've been gone, in thinking about how this thread has progressed and what Bill's original intent was, I believe that how folks have assayed these questions and challenges has been directly in line with the spirit of Project Avalon. There is no "final say" or "ultimate answer" there are only the variations we bring as humans, part of a greater family of beings who have chosen to traverse this vale of tears simultaneously. I offer this article in the spirit of recognition of that shared journey.

Why We Confuse Race and Ethnicity

A Lexicographer’s Perspective

On our evolving understandings of racial categorization and cultural identity.

Dictionaries sometimes provide an opportunity for users to tell more about what certain words should mean as opposed to what they do mean. Take race and ethnicity. The online dictionary at Merriam-Webster allows users to leave comments on entries, and the most common comment by far on the entry for ethnicity is that people are looking it up to determine how it’s distinguished from race. The most common comment on the entry for race is essentially “Okay, but what is race, then?”

The reality is that the words race and ethnicity have a significant amount of overlap in terms of their general use. Race is the older word, dating back to the 1500s, and for most of its history, it referred to groups of people who shared a common ancestor, culture, or cultural marker (such as language or religion): “the English race,” “the Scottish race,” “the Jewish race.”

But starting in the late 1700s, physiologists and anthropologists began using the word race to refer to a more formalized categorization of people that was based on physical characteristics, not necessarily shared ancestry or culture. “Physical characteristics” included everything from skin color to head shape to perceived temperament and intelligence (both of which were thought to have a biological basis). Nineteenth-century anthropologists divided humanity up into anywhere from three to twelve categories and ascribed physical, psychological, social, and intellectual attributes to each category.

But just because a word gains a new meaning doesn’t mean that the old meanings go away. By the start of the twentieth century, race referred to groups of people who shared a common ancestor, groups of people who shared a common culture or cultural marker, and the anthropological categories of people divided primarily by physical appearance. And while those meanings seem distinct enough presented in isolation, it could be hard to tell just which meaning of race was being used:

Quote It is my prayer, it is my longing, that we may pass from this life together—a longing which shall never perish from the earth . . . . This prayer is also immortal, and will not cease from being offered up while my race continues. (Mark Twain, “Eve’s Diary,” The $30,000 Bequest and Other Stories, 1906)
    English had furnished all the raw materials for a correction, and out of them was coined the word ethnicity. The Oxford English Dictionary has one citation, from 1772, for ethnicity, where it’s a translation of the Spanish etnicidad, but the word doesn’t appear again until the early twentieth century, in a book condemning the idea that common ethnic or cultural identity is deterministic of character or personality:

Quote To regard every individual of an ethnic group as having primarily the characteristic nature of that group, as if affiliation with it invested him with a particular kind of ethnicity which then determined his nature, is contrary to the doctrine that each individual structure is primary. (Isaac B. Berkson, Theories of Americanization: A Critical Study, 1920)
    Ethnicity is built off the much earlier ethnic, which was used from the 1700s onward as an adjective to refer to national affiliation; both words trace back to the Greek word for “nation.” But the term ethnicity didn’t take off right away. Race was the preferred term—until the word began to get skunked.

Skunked is the term that linguists use to refer to the process by which a formerly neutral word gains negative connotations and suddenly becomes fraught (or completely unacceptable) in general use. For the word race, lots of twentieth-century events and movements contributed to that skunking: Nazi atrocities bolstered by nineteenth-century anthropological ideas of “racial purity” and the fitness of the White race over other races; institutional structures that relied on the pseudoscience of “racial disparities” to separate society into “white” and “colored”; the various civil rights movements—like the NAACP, the National Congress of American Indians, UnidosUS (formerly National Council of La Raza), and the Japanese American Citizens League—that kept demanding we confront the realities of what it’s like to live in non-white skin in the U.S. The word race itself showed up more often in contexts that highlighted social problems: “race riot,” “racial discrimination,” “race relations,” “racial tensions,” “playing the race card.” Even today, while some people claim we live in a “post-racial” society, that nineteenth-century pseudoscience around race still affects our daily lives. For instance, a 2016 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America examines how ideas around the pain tolerance thresholds of White and Black patients—ideas that have their root in nineteenth-century concepts of race—continue to have an impact on Black people and how their pain is managed in a clinical setting.

While these nineteenth-century ideas around race have been challenged, we still continue to hash out what, exactly, constitutes race. Nowhere is this tension more obvious than in the U.S. Census, which provides interesting (if somewhat behind-the-times) evidence for tracking the complexities of race and ethnicity. In the 230 years that the census has been running, race has expanded from three categories (free Whites, all other free persons, and enslaved people) to fifteen, including “other.” But in 1980, the U.S. Census began asking all respondents, regardless of how they answered the question on race, to identify whether they had Hispanic origins—categorizing it as an ethnicity, not a race. (Current studies by the Pew Research Center show that many census respondents who identify as Hispanic in origin consider that to be both their race and ethnicity.)

Lexically speaking, this one event seems to be the thing that nudged the word ethnicity into general use; since the 1980s, use of ethnicity has increased dramatically. And the word race? It has more volume of use than ethnicity, as you’d expect for a word with five hundred more years of established use, but in the last few years, its use has decreased. The Oxford English Dictionary’s usage note at the entry sums up the current state of race in reference to those divisions of humanity distinguished by physical characteristics:

Quote In recent years, the associations of race with the ideologies and theories that grew out of the work of 19th-cent. anthropologists and physiologists have led to the word often being avoided with reference to specific ethnic groups. Although it is still used in general contexts, it is now often replaced by terms such as people(s), community, etc.
    But lexical takes on race and ethnicity make the issue of what actually constitutes race and ethnicity seem much simpler than it actually is. In 2003, California Newsreel (in conjunction with PBS) broadcast a TV series called Race: The Power of an Illusion and asked four professors to tease out the differences between race and ethnicity. All four had different responses. Some felt race was a single unifying categorization based primarily on physical appearance while ethnicity was a cultural connection. Others felt that race was more an identifier of origin while ethnicity was a social, cultural, or linguistic bond. Others felt that race and ethnicity were both movable feasts and relied more on how power structures categorize and operate against people. In other words, some of the people groups that today are racially coded as White (and given the privileges of a White person) have been considered less than White or other than White in the past, particularly when anti-immigration sentiment was sweeping the nation. In more recent years, enough people have protested the Census Bureau’s reductive view of ethnicity that federal officials are considering combining the race question with the ethnicity question for the 2020 Census. That we know the two are somehow different but related is clear from the lexical side of things again: The most common use of ethnicity in print, and one of the most common uses of race in print, is in the phrase “race and ethnicity.”

So when should you use race and when should you use ethnicity? A survey of the major dictionaries of English gives some basic guidance when talking generally about race and ethnicity. Most of them agree that the word ethnicity is most often used of a person’s cultural identity, which may or may not include a shared language, shared customs, shared religious expression, or a shared nationality (especially outside that nation’s borders). And most dictionaries agree that race is often used to describe one of several very broad categories that people are divided into that are biologically arbitrary yet considered to be generally based on ancestral origin and shared physical characteristics (especially skin color).

There’s one more thing that dictionaries tell us, though it’s mostly subtext and only apparent in qualifiers like often and generally and especially. Race and ethnicity as labels can change not just from speaker to speaker but from context to context. Someone born to Japanese parents in the Bay Area of California and raised in San Francisco may identify racially as Asian (a broad category based on ancestral origin and some shared physical characteristics) but ethnically as Japanese, American, Japanese American, or maybe even San Franciscan (a cultural identity that can include shared customs, religion, nationality, or language). Or none of the above. The answer depends on who the speaker is talking to and why the listener is asking.
    Last edited by Mark; 8th July 2019 at 16:58. Reason: add quotation indent

28. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

AutumnW (6th July 2019), Bill Ryan (6th July 2019), Constance (8th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (7th July 2019), Forest Denizen (17th August 2019), Franny (7th July 2019), greybeard (6th July 2019), gs_powered (2nd October 2019), Kryztian (7th July 2019), Mike (6th July 2019), Post-Structuralist Comet (6th July 2019), T Smith (7th July 2019), Tam (17th July 2019), Tintin (17th August 2019), ulli (6th July 2019), william r sanford72 (4th December 2019)

29. Link to Post #295
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,576 times in 32,794 posts

Excellent discussion on such an important topic. Since I've been gone, in thinking about how this thread has progressed and what Bill's original intent was, I believe that how folks have assayed these questions and challenges has been directly in line with the spirit of Project Avalon. There is no "final say" or "ultimate answer" there are only the variations we bring as humans, part of a greater family of beings who have chosen to traverse this vale of tears simultaneously.
    Yes, thanks. I entirely agree: the topic is culturally and historically complex, and highly nuanced — at least. Once one starts to drill down into it all (and look at it from every angle) what may well happen, if one permits it, is a great deal of learning and gaining of new insights. Avalon really does try to stand for that.

What I'd really like to thank you for personally is how well you've presided over the discussion, even when some members have challenged or questioned you a little with their own perspectives. You've handled everything admirably.

30. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

AutumnW (6th July 2019), Constance (8th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (7th July 2019), Forest Denizen (17th August 2019), Franny (7th July 2019), greybeard (6th July 2019), Kryztian (7th July 2019), Mark (22nd November 2019), Mike (6th July 2019), Rosemarie (6th July 2019), T Smith (6th July 2019), Tam (17th July 2019), ulli (6th July 2019), william r sanford72 (4th December 2019), Yoda (6th July 2019)

31. Link to Post #296
    Thanks

Excellent discussion on such an important topic. Since I've been gone, in thinking about how this thread has progressed and what Bill's original intent was, I believe that how folks have assayed these questions and challenges has been directly in line with the spirit of Project Avalon. There is no "final say" or "ultimate answer" there are only the variations we bring as humans, part of a greater family of beings who have chosen to traverse this vale of tears simultaneously.
    Welcome back, Rahkyt. Lovin' the new avatar!

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), Constance (8th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (7th July 2019), Forest Denizen (17th August 2019), Franny (7th July 2019), Mark (22nd November 2019)

33. Link to Post #297
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Rahkyt, I'm curious of your opinions on this: https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...and-for-pledge
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), Mark (22nd November 2019)

35. Link to Post #298
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,945 times in 1,689 posts

I was brought up on an island and witnessed the ending of the colonial British influence on people of African and European origin. As a small child I saw the differences in the way the two lived and see now that as one of the roots of racism. When I was 8, my mother left us with a very poor family which was integrated with the African community so that she could go away to study. There I learned to see people as colorful souls and individuals. Since everyone was poor, the personalities shone out as memorable, and as a Christian, I saw myself in others and vice versa and learned to treat others as I would wish them to see me and treat me.

On the Internet I read of the man who was influential in devising living conditions for people of African descent in communities with miserable conditions, lacking in services, food stores, near swamps, low to no income or education areas and finally ready access to alcohol, drugs and guns (provided by the White Lodges). When the social rejects from those communities were compared to and by those who lived under opposite conditions, one could see why separation would seem desirable.

Now I understand that the above conditions still exist. Therefore, REPARATIONS to me would be to REVERSE ALL THE ABOVE LIVING CONDITIONS FOR THOSE POOR, PERSECUTED PEOPLE. Create businesses and financing witch is doable for those folks to create employment and lives for themselves, decent accommodations and rent controlled homes and apartments, schools, libraries, etc., so that people are helped up instead of down. The laws of love given by Jesus Christ still help all living and hurt none. These are REPARATIONS.
    Last edited by amor; 16th August 2019 at 03:38. Reason: typo

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Agape (16th August 2019), Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), greybeard (16th August 2019), Mark (22nd November 2019), RogeRio (16th August 2019)

37. Link to Post #299
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,244 times in 4,597 posts

Quote Posted by amor (here)
    I was brought up on an island and witnessed the ending of the colonial British influence on people of African and European origin. As a small child I saw the differences in the way the two lived and see now that as one of the roots of racism. When I was 8, my mother left us with a very poor family which was integrated with the African community so that she could go away to study. There I learned to see people as colorful souls and individuals. Since everyone was poor, the personalities shone out as memorable, and as a Christian, I saw myself in others and vice versa and learned to treat others as I would wish them to see me and treat me.

On the Internet I read of the man who was influential in devising living conditions for people of African descent in communities with miserable conditions, lacking in services, food stores, near swamps, low to no income or education areas and finally ready access to alcohol, drugs and guns (provided by the White Lodges). When the social rejects from those communities were compared to and by those who lived under opposite conditions, one could see why separation would seem desirable.

Now I understand that the above conditions still exist. Therefore, REPARATIONS to me would be to REVERSE ALL THE ABOVE LIVING CONDITIONS FOR THOSE POOR, PERSECUTED PEOPLE. Create businesses and financing witch is doable for those folks to create employment and lives for themselves, decent accommodations and rent controlled homes and apartments, schools, libraries, etc., so that people are helped up instead of down. The laws of love given by Jesus Christ still help all living and hurt none. These are REPARATIONS.

The worst demon haunting human civilisation at all times has nothing to do with how we look, so true, it’s a demon of economical and cultural inequity.

Millions of gifted, capable people are out there who can’t make it beyond ceaseless work, struggle and fight in order to “achieve” what comparative minority received
    for granted.
    Sure there are myths ..of superiority running through family lines everywhere, no matter what continent or culture. In Africa or anywhere else, people whose ancestors were “chieftains” and “leaders” are automatically in better situation than the rest.

There are myths of hard workers who become achievers.

There are plenty of other myths about who deserves the funds to become operational in terms of this world.

The way this world does seem to operate is by delegating very small -limited- group of individuals to the “billionaires club”.
    The most important decisions to do with running human society are reserved for them.

We all know how much effort is required to move anything substantial in ours and other people’s lives otherwise. No matter what you say or do.
    We know how to save lives, how to heal and teach, how to live sustainable and beautiful life but yet
    there’s no way to take step forwards through us unless we perform some extraordinary feat charming the “club”.

At the best they will “allow us” to live.

There’s no real competition involved, no reality challenge. The “club game” is insured by huge numbers for those who are in.
    Individual failure does not mean anything, or what kind of myth these people cultivate and spread around themselves to charm “common Joe”. They have parents, brothers and uncles who won’t let them fall unless they’ve betrayed the “club” itself.

Most of the modern civilisation live in one or another kind of economical and therefor also, existential slavery to those people.
    Working for 8 to 16 hours a day to be barely able to pay rent or feed family with two children with very few opting out options.

The myth about Europe, the US or Japan supporting people who won’t participate in mass labour system in unreal.

People all around the world should realise there’s no “human rights” equation between your abilities, purpose on this planet and your income. There’s no social care system taking care of the rest who were left out.

So many people seem to live very poorly in the EU or the UK as well despite having the basics covered. They have certain number of items that became compulsory to fit in and perform family duties, such as cars or savings for dental work and other healthcare above average.
    They buy the cheapest food available and wear cloths saved from years back forever.
    Most people really can’t operate beyond and above the system run by these billionaires with full operational capacity.

Racism is just a myth in my best judgement that is easily incorporated to the global agenda of wars and ownerships.
    Thinking we can own others by holding their life shares forever and “teaching them” who they are is a stealth, heresy, simply a crime.

People are not little children because they grew up in bushes. More often they turn adults with sense of life responsibility much faster than the rest of us.

Do I see any way with it myself , guess I don’t other than it’s unfortunate fate of this human civilisation requiring long time fixes.

Maybe one day even some of those in-line individuals, the wealthiest of the wealthy, the healthiest of the healthy and beautiest of the beautiful ( all tongue in cheek and sour pickle)
    will step out of their predestined parallel programming, realise how deep it all goes, the root ignorance of some ancestor who once started it
    take a deep breath and ask themselves oh and “Why am I alone on this planet?”

Because now many of the “chosen poor dears” simply don’t know well enough.
    They’ll spend millions to fix their noses and other little misfortunes and share billions with their equally underprivileged wives.

They don’t understand there’s no way to get around THEMSELVES and their tall and fat egos. That the damage they’ve implicated and imposed on many people’s characters , lives and fates is unredeemable and that there won’t be anyone to forgive them at the end of the story.

Too sad😢

🙏🌟🙏

On better note I would but wish to say, people of all cultures and colours fall in love with each other, every day which is the sole proof of our common human ancestry

and timelessness of our Spirits.

We exist as tweak of nature
    as well as Universal minds.

It’s a fact that no religion can deny to its denizens.

If I think of the amount of Love we naturally have for each of these beautiful people out there it’s overwhelming my brain. It seems to me that if we break the borders of our meditation on Love and Compassion about everyone of the 8 billion people can be given a hand when they need one.
    There is abundance of resources ..

this Planet itself is very rich

there are clean technologies that could provide sustainable energy grids all around the globe.

There are medicines that could and should be made accessible to who need them because their so called cost is purely artificial compared to the price of human lives lost.

We are capable of about anything if we give it more Love

❤️
    Last edited by Agape; 16th August 2019 at 07:33. Reason: This pesky grumpy extraterrestrial has better side too

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), greybeard (16th August 2019), Mark (22nd November 2019), RogeRio (16th August 2019), Sue (Ayt) (3rd December 2019), Valerie Villars (23rd November 2019), william r sanford72 (4th December 2019)

39. Link to Post #300
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

.. Racism, A History -- Documentary series looking at how racism has impacted on people's lifes

1st episode -- The Color of Money

2nd episode -- Fatal Impacts

3rd episode -- A Savage Legacy

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), gs_powered (2nd October 2019), Mark (22nd November 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst 1 5 15 25 35 LastLast