Russian Federation Avalon Member Mashika's Avatar
    Language
    Russian
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 times in 419 posts

Default Re: Racism

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Hi Mashika

Reading that older post of mine was interesting. Every so often I'll get some beer and read a bunch of my old posts and make a night out of it. I highly recommend everyone do this. It's very revealing. Sometimes I'll think, wow, that was quite good!, and other times I can barely recognize the person that wrote the thing. It's a great indicator of where you once were, where you are now, and where youre going.

What annoyed me most about my girlfriend at that time was not that she labelled that comment racist, but that she was kind of disingenuous and hypocritical in general. She was a Seattle hipster type, a recreational virtue signaler who would have marched in the streets for Mexicans and blacks just to be seen doing it but would have never dated any of them, for example. And here she was, passing judgement on what I felt was a pretty harmless statement. She wasn't on very firm ground, morally, imo, so I resented her judgement..even if it might have had some truth to it.

But I take your point and fully understand it! Having viewed it again with fresh eyes, I can indeed see what you mean there and how the line could have been viewed as offensive.

Ugh, I'm sorry you have to endure all those ignorant judgements and the rest of that racial nonsense. I'm curious: do you find racism to be stronger in Mexico than the US? Or vice versa?
    I think Mexico is way more racist in several ways, mostly against their own people, everyone wants to say "proud of being Mexican" but also treats native Mexicans like garbage or simply ignore them and push them away if possible

Not to say people are hateful, i love the culture and it's in several ways very similar to Russian culture, but it has that aspect of it that you can see two friends having a great time and then they get angry for whatever reason and then insults like "indio mugroso" (dirty indian) or similar come up, which is like a very derogative term to mean "Native Mexican" or "Mexican indigenous", even though pretty much everyone is partial indigenous in Mexico. So even the nicest people somehow have the racism and hate towards indigenous people

For someone like me, i don't get that much hate or attitude, but if i'm confused with an American citizen then i may get lots of it as well, for example this one time we went into a bar and had a small issue with some other girls there, and the owner though we were American and started calling us about it, saying we were there thinking we were special and all kinds of hateful stuff just for being Americans (they have lots of insults specifically made for Americans, most of them very racist) then when we explained we were Russians his attitude changed entirely, he apologized and tried to make us stay and make amends. It just didn't work out after that, i mean he already showed his true colors, how can he come back from that and continue as if nothing happened

That kind of stuff happens very easily, but as usual only some people are like that, i just think it's brought up way more easy than in the US, and that they treat each other nicely most of the time but suddenly insult each other with "indio" as if being indigenous was something very bad is very weird, and no Mexican will take being called "indio" lightly, it's a big offense somehow, even if they are proud of being Mexicans

Then, there are some weird people who live in Mexico but hate being Mexicans LOL, that's just crazy, they wish they would have been born somewhere else. Back in 2018 at the world cup, i was with some friends from Mexico and they also invited some other people along, there were a few of them who when asked where they came from they said "America" but did not want people to know they were Mexicans and attempted to hide their accent! I don't even know what to say about that

Quote Thanks for sharing your story. I'll share a short one too:

My grandfather on my mom's side played a cowboy called "Canyon Jack" on a local tv show when he was a younger man. On his way home one day after work, during one particularly brutal snow storm, he got lost and pulled over into this nondescript little pub to make a phone call. So he walks into this place with his full Canyon Jack outfit on - cowboy hat, boots, spurs, frilly jacket, etc - shakes all the snow off of himself and approaches the bar for a drink. Suddenly the place goes quiet, in the same unsettling way a very noisy jungle goes quiet in the middle of the night..when even the insects shut up for a while. Anyway, he looks up, and the place is packed with native American indians..all staring at him in the same uncomfortable way. So without a word he put his hat back on, turned around, and walked right back out into the storm having never made his phonecall
    LMAO! Totally pictured the scene in my mind

Quote Intellectually I think the idea of any kind of reparations is a terrible idea. I can give you a million good reasons why. But emotionally I have a hard time resisting it, in some instances. The cigarette tax thing is one such instance.
    I find this a difficult thing, but seems like it's true that current generations are not to blame for what happened in the past, none of the people involved are even alive anymore?

Hard to say but i think feeling guilt about the past is not correct, maybe there should be other ways to handle this, like integration between different races instead of just giving stuff away and then moving forward without seeing each other away?

I don't think i can see or feel the problem from the right point of view so maybe i'm saying something very dumb but i think giving free stuff to the people or group who were harmed is not really doing "reparations" and more like 'here's some cash and let's forget it happened' while real reparations would be to make things go back to how they used to be, or partially merge both cultures and groups so they are not segregated? Like you said you see no American indians anywhere, so what good is to give them free stuff or money if they still remain hidden away? The damage remains constant over the ages, no matter how much money or other stuff they are given so that kind of reparation is actually just some money so they go away and don't be a bother or problem for some time, not a real attempt to fix things up?
    Last edited by Mashika; 16th March 2020 at 02:01.
    "Capitalism does live by crises and booms, just as a human being lives by inhaling and exhaling.” ― Trotsky

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st June 2020), Constance (6th April 2020), Franny (16th March 2020), Mark/Rahkyt (16th March 2020), Melinda (6th April 2020), Mike (16th March 2020)

3. Link to Post #482
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,139 times in 4,148 posts

In my mid 20's I found myself selling sporting apparel at fairs and trade shows and stuff like that. At one event in L.A. I met this lovely Mexican woman and we began what was to be sort of a romantic connection.

Her Dad was a full Mexican, but her mother was white. And she caught all kinds of sh!t for it growing up in Mexico. In her early adulthood she found out she was adopted, and wasn't white at all..which was kind of a cruel and darkly humorous irony.

Anyway, I often spent time with her and her very large group of friends, all Mexicans. Initially I could sense they distrusted me, so I made a point of buying everyone beer on the first couple nights we all hung out. This actually made a couple of them trust me even less, because they thought I had some agenda I s'pose. Eventually I became friendly with most of them, except for a couple. Most would speak English when I was around out of courtesy, but a few wouldn't. Then they'd kind of snicker and apologize disingenuously before speaking Spanish yet again..deviously encouraging the others to do same. I knew enough Spanish to understand what they were up to. I kind of expected it, so it didn't trouble me too much.

At these events I was often the minority, even when I wasn't hanging around with the Mexican group. Being in California was a real eye opener. It's sort of like Mexico 2.0. As a white guy, unless I was inland, I wasn't even the second most represented group around - that would be the Asians.

Despite our adversarial historical relationship, it felt like the whites and the blacks had a kind of unspoken solidarity..all based on the fact that we were very outnumbered LOL. Maybe I imagined it, but that's the way it felt to me. We'd nod at each other as we passed by, and the implication was, 'I got ya bro, no worries

I have olive skin and tan very easily, and was often mistaken for a Mexican myself. People approached me speaking Spanish all the time. It was always a little awkward explaining that I didn't really speak the language. The Mexicans would squint and inspect me closely, and then sort of nod and walk off after - I imagine - seeing my green eyes..which always gave me away as being a gringo.

I almost got killed when a friend of mine unknowingly drove into the territory of a Mexican gang. We were chased, and finally caught at a red light (which, for the life of me, I still don't know why my friend didn't blow thru). The guy rolled his window down and gestured for me to do the same. So i did, all along thinking I was a goner, but the gangster didn't shoot. Instead he explained to me that he had given me a gang sign a few blocks back, and wanted to know why I hadn't responded. I had seen his car but didn't recall seeing any sign. I explained to him that I was from NY and was just driving thru, and he kindly explained to me what I should do next time a gang sign was flashed my way; he gave me a gesture signifying neutrality..but I can't recall what it was. Then he drove away, and said 'welcome to Californiaaaa' as his voice trailed off into the distance. Close call.

In Santa Barbara I was jumped by a group of young Mexican guys..late teens, early 20's maybe (this happened twice actually). It was racially motivated. I was with a black friend at the time, and we fought them off and walked away mostly unscathed. They shouted a bunch of racial sh!t at both of us as we all separated. No big deal really, but it was unsettling, and the threat of it happening again was always in the back of my mind. I began looking over my shoulder quite a bit.

Later on, I kind of fell for another Mexican woman. We had a nice thing going but she was feeling the pressure from her friends who clearly didn't approve of her dating a white dude. That ended, sadly.

When I moved inland, things were much different. The majority of people were white, but they were fiercely white LOL. There was something vaguely (and not so vaguely) Aryan Nation about these dudes. They all dressed the same, as if they had been rolled off a conveyor belt - black volcom hat and black volcom shirt, dickies shorts, three quarter length socks on feet securely tucked into a pair of vans...and a whole lot of tattoos. And they almost all seemed blond haired, strangely enough. They looked like the Hitler youth! To be fair, I met a lot of good people inland..but there was a strong undertone of racism the whole time. It didn't even need to be outwardly spoken..it was palpable.

Once I was taking a light jog in an area called Canyon Lake, where I lived at the time. I was wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey, and this is right around the time they had switched coaches from Bill Cowher, a white guy, to Mike Tomlin, a black guy. Some guy shouted something to me as a jogged by. I couldn't hear him so I took out my earbuds and said "Sorry, missed that." And the guy said, "It's a shame ya know?" "A shame about what?," I asked. "That new n!gger coach they have now.." He said it so casually, as if we were talking about the weather. It shocked me speechless.

There's so much to say about my 3 years in California, but I'd be writing about it all day if I tried to encapsulate the entire thing. It was quite surreal, not only because I was often the minority wherever I went, but because I didn't even relate too well to the people of my own race there. I was often more comfortable around the Mexican and Asian and Filipino and black folks I met than I was the inland whites. It was a great learning experience overall, wouldn't have traded it for anything.
    Last edited by Mike; 16th March 2020 at 03:56.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Agape (Today), AutumnW (1st June 2020), Bill Ryan (1st June 2020), Billy Vasiliadis (1st June 2020), Constance (6th April 2020), Ernie Nemeth (16th March 2020), Ken (30th May 2020), Mark/Rahkyt (16th March 2020), Mashika (17th March 2020), Melinda (6th April 2020)

5. Link to Post #483
    United States Moderator/Guide on Sabbatical

Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,329 times in 1,116 posts

Fantastic debate!
    Just as every cop is a criminal
    And all the sinners saints

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st June 2020), Mark/Rahkyt (8th May 2020), Melinda (6th April 2020)

7. Link to Post #484
    Thanks
    Thanked 293,264 times in 21,695 posts

I would be so very interested to read Mark/Rahkyt's thoughts and feelings about the murder of George Floyd.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

AutumnW (1st June 2020), Hym (31st May 2020), Kryztian (30th May 2020), kudzy (30th May 2020), Sarah Rainsong (Yesterday), TargeT (31st May 2020), Wind (30th May 2020), Yoda (30th May 2020)

9. Link to Post #485
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member TargeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,320 times in 7,109 posts

I'd be just as interested to see his view's on the "push back" and the obvious co-op that seems to be occurring.

I don't know if that situation was racially motivated or not, it certainly was horrible.... the current riots seem to be "race divided" in very small areas from what I've observed (though there are quite a few that seem to re-emphasis the racial divide).

ALSO, that was NOT MURDER; the use of "MURDER" is meant to cause an emotional response and is a part of why MSM is dead (It definitely was manslaughter at least).

do NOT allow linguistic drift, it is along the lines of the tower of babel, but worse.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st June 2020), Chris Gilbert (1st June 2020)

11. Link to Post #486
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,877 times in 2,300 posts

I agree Target. It took over 8 minutes in broad daylight while people recorded it on video. So it is closer to a modern day lynching when you think about it.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st June 2020), Hym (1st June 2020), Mike (1st June 2020), TargeT (1st June 2020)

13. Link to Post #487
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

My feeling is it was in part racially motivated but also a reflection of the mentality of a police force which is trained to see people as targets. Would George Floyd be alive if he were a white man? Would the police have been as aggressive as they were? I don't know but it is a possibility for sure.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billy Vasiliadis For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st June 2020), Hym (1st June 2020), TargeT (1st June 2020)

15. Link to Post #488
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member TargeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,320 times in 7,109 posts

Quote Posted by Billy Vasiliadis (here)
    My feeling is it was ... a reflection of the mentality of a police force which is trained to see people as targets.
    I would SLIGHTLY agree with this statement, but more so think/assume (not that it's an excuse) that they mostly interact with people that are doing things deemed unacceptable by society or the legal system (usually both) which causes a temperament and bias that is not cohesive to "protect and serve" when you think of the original intention of that group of words.

Quote Posted by Billy Vasiliadis (here)
    Would George Floyd be alive if he were a white man? Would the police have been as aggressive as they were? I don't know but it is a possibility for sure.
    Hate to say it, but your first question.... based on pattern analysis would be "much more likely" however, the supportive evidence for being overly cautious with certain members of society almost makes up for his initial reaction (NOT the outcome or conduct).

Your second question (in light of the directly above response) would be "No, but" they probably would have allowed more for a demographic that (per-capita, again it's not an excuse, but it's an undeniable reality currently) does not exhibit violent response when interacted with.

so... in short, it's too complex for a quick label (his motivation)....... But the outcome deserves a response, the magnitude of which I cannot comment on.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st June 2020), Billy Vasiliadis (1st June 2020)

17. Link to Post #489
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,217 times in 3,650 posts

Hmm, no & no. If you squeeze or press someone’s neck at that particular point and render them breathless, the chance they would “come back” decreases with every minute.
    You and the cop were taught this and tested it number of times in medical and martial arts training. He had 8 minutes to think about it. That’s a lots of time to decide whether you intend to kill the man or not.
    Time goes very slowly in those critical moments, it expands exponentially. Quite like in meditation.
    So it can’t be qualified as “accidental killing”.

Why does it happen ? You should know. Sadistic tendencies and killer switch, there is whole depersonalisation moment arising in some individuals.
    No system can successfully deal with those people. Some of them seek deployments as prison guards, some go to military, unfortunately some exist within police force but there are sadistic nurses and doctors as well.

It starts in childhood but is often enhanced by receiving hurtful emotional and physical experiences from others and learning to “confirm” sadistic behaviour as necessary means to survival.

In simple terms you could also say the man flipped out of control.

They are not “intelligent” while doing this, it’s a predator prey instinct taking over.

So no, it could have been anyone else in that place, child, woman, colours don’t play major difference.

There will be some report from the forensic psychiatrist on it for sure and how that man defends himself but don’t expect “truth”.

There is no “deeper intellectual truth” behind this. Deeper instinct yes, collective instinct of superiority and survival of yourself as the predator alone yes.

Not dissimilar to the orca in Orlando Marine Life killing her “cherished” trainer.

🐳

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st June 2020), Billy Vasiliadis (1st June 2020), TargeT (1st June 2020)

19. Link to Post #490
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I would SLIGHTLY agree with this statement, but more so think/assume (not that it's an excuse) that they mostly interact with people that are doing things deemed unacceptable by society or the legal system (usually both) which causes a temperament and bias that is not cohesive to "protect and serve" when you think of the original intention of that group of words.
    This is also what I was trying to include when I mentioned training. I should have used a better word.

The very job itself colours a persons mind in such a way, that you can see how it breeds unfortunate views of others. If day in day out you are being confronted with violence and crime, what is that going to do to your attitudes and beliefs?

I imagine it takes a person truly committed to justice to not slip. And for those who don't care much for justice, well, you see the kinds of actions that result (this one now being one example, how much more do we not even hear about).

Quote Your second question (in light of the directly above response) would be "No, but" they probably would have allowed more for a demographic that (per-capita, again it's not an excuse, but it's an undeniable reality currently) does not exhibit violent response when interacted with.
    Isn't this just a vicious circle though? Violence begets violence right? I understand that this is a complex issue but I do believe that most people are decent (maybe not quite good, but decent), and if they have a decent quality of life and avenues of fulfilling their potentials, they wouldn't engage in violence or crime.

The solution seems to be greater freedom, not more policing (not that you are saying this).

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Billy Vasiliadis For This Post:

Agape (1st June 2020), Bill Ryan (1st June 2020), raregem (1st June 2020), TargeT (1st June 2020)

21. Link to Post #491
    United States Moderator Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,730 times in 210 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

I would be so very interested to read Mark/Rahkyt's thoughts and feelings about the murder of George Floyd.
    Mark/Rahkyt, I realize that you did respond a bit on another thread to this issue, but I too would like to hear more of your thoughts.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Agape (Today), Bill Ryan (Yesterday)

23. Link to Post #492
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,139 times in 4,148 posts

So Jess I'm glad you pushed me on this one because it turns out I had a little bit to learn here. That's great on the one hand and aggravating on the other; great cuz I've learned some new stuff and aggravating because i can often be an egotistic c#nt who likes to believe I already know everything, and it's alarming and disconcerting to that side of me when I realize I don't...so damn you (and thank you)

One of the frequent grievances from black activists is that whites "had a 400 year head start" in America. I've heard this for a while now and it's always confused me. I was aware that the US, as a country, was roughly 250 years old, and I was also aware that some Europeans had arrived earlier, obviously ('1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue'..how could I forget that one?); and I was aware of what my history books had told me about the time between 1492 and the early 1600's, when the first English colony was established; oh, and I'd also seen "Last of the Mohicans". So my knowledge of the African presence in the US is mostly from slavery onwards. I was dimly aware that some Africans had been here prior, but up until now didn't know much about it (and I still don't, to be honest). Maybe Mark will arrive and school me a little.

Some other fun facts:

- the ancestors of our living Native Americans arrived from Asia roughly 15,000 years ago, possibly much earlier (from Asia via Beringia)

- their name for the country was "turtle island"

- roughly 500 years before Columbus arrived, America was discovered by some bold ass Vikings led by a dude named Leif Eriksson

- before 1492, Mexico, Central America, and much of the southwest US was known as Meso America, or Middle America

...but back to the topic. Some googling revealed this quote: the first 19 or so Africans to reach the British colonies arrived in Point Comfort, Virginia, near Jamestown, in 1619

...though this is almost universally believed to be untrue. Apparently the first Africans actually arrived 600 years ago...some thought to be free and and some thought to be slaves. It appears they arrived after the Spanish and the French but much sooner than the English.

My feeling is that life was damn near hell for anyone who arrived in America in the 1400's. Not really knowing the status of the Africans here during that time, I can't really say if they had it any worse than the French or the Spanish or the English. So I don't know if the "head start" began back then or 200 years later.

Yes, and per your point - the Natives have the real claim to this land. They've had it worse than all of us put together..and that's really an entirely different topic. It's interesting that they are almost never mentioned when the topic of racism is brought up.. and the reason for that is simple: there's like 4 of them left.

Racism is a numbers game: the largest groups get the most heat while the most oppressed groups get very little attention for being oppressed, because they're small and incapable of making much noise...and unless you're making some noise, no one seems to care. Math. So in that sense the accusations can be a little distorted..and the grievances from anyone not talking about the Natives, disingenuous. I don't think whites, currently, possess a racism that blacks or asians or indians don't also possess. It's no worse, generally. There's just more of us(in the U.S). So an advantage exists in that sense. It's as deliberate as it is arbitrary.

Yes, black settlers/slaves were here long before the British colonies, but come 1776 anyway.. not nearly as many as whites. European whites held the cards and started a country for themselves. They did it for all sorts of advantages, some of which still exist today. The point I was sort of making before was: is that so unfair?

I get the feeling I'm misunderstanding your question though.
    Last edited by Mike; Today at 06:55.

24. Link to Post #493
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,877 times in 2,300 posts

Egotistical ****?? You called??😀. LOL. You're not the only one. I'm sure I've shared this story before... about being on a forum and reading some random post and thinking how much I agreed with the poster but what an arrogant S.O.B he came off as. So I checked to see who wrote it and it was me, a month before! It still cracks me up. What a pain in the ass!

Anyway... Will answer as soon as my batteries recharge. Just climbing into my pod now. Talk soon!😉

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Agape (Today)

26. Link to Post #494
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,890 times in 12,686 posts

Discovery Science

Human Zoos: America's Forgotten History Of Scientific Racism

Published 17th February 2019

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst 1 15 25