+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 5 10 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what shape the earth is, but look at this

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Default Re: I don't know what shape the earth is, but look at this

Speed of Light? I had read(can't remember where) that some scientists had actually slowed down the speed of light in a lab experiment.

2. Link to Post #82
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,309 times in 5,692 posts

I do want to be clear, just for avalon posterity and anyone reading this thread that even puts a tiny bit of stock into what I say here : I'm as certain as I can be that the earth is both spherical and that it rotates.

'Question everything' can start out as the rallying cry of the rebellious intellectual....but please don't confuse it with the mantra of the intellectually blind (or those deliberately trying to deceive)

Too much questioning about something like the shape of the earth, in the face of mountains of evidence suggesting it's spherical nature, isn't rebellious or intellectually curious - it's neurotic and paranoid and just plain obnoxious. It's zealotry.

The earth itself is a fascinating topic. But if we're still stuck in grade school how will we ever learn about her properly? Is someone or something trying to keep us in grade school?

The 'flat earth' is like the toy some people can't grow out of. They're adults but they're still walking arounf with their blankie and a thumb in their mouth. Any attempt at yanking them away only results in more irrationality. It's kind of a catch 22.

As long as there are people out there blabbing about flat earth, I feel it is our duty to blab the truth. Hold the space as they say.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Hervé (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (4th December 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (5th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017), petra (5th December 2017), Wind (5th December 2017)

4. Link to Post #83
    Holy See Avalon Member felix roseczky's Avatar
    Thanks

I can feel a lot of anger and fear from your words.

Maybe take life bit more easy - theres really nothing to be angry or feared about. Everything is how it was ment to be. You re perfect as you are.
    We all follow divine ways and rules our little human conciousness is hardly able to follow. Reality is much stranger than fiction.
    Where i come from we say like:
    Dont **** the earth but make children with her, spread positive and never negative energy.
    Why not changing your avatar to a rainbow and feel the love and phantasy a rainbow spreads.

I tend to write loveletters to god and mother earth. its like mindmasage or so....

Lets just respect each other from deep inside. respect each and anyones point of view. we re all from one source. all experiences are worth to be made.
    i m grateful for the deepest holes i fall into. so i could climb out of them.

dont feel that youre duty is to attack anyone who has different point of view about earth shape.
    imagine: youre eye transforms light waves into a picture. in reality all you see is vibrating energy, in different frequency. an egg and a tennisball are actually made of the same - vibrating energy.
    dont waste your mind for defending anything when you can discover new horizons of being.

ONE LOVE
    Last edited by felix roseczky; 4th December 2017 at 22:48.

5. Link to Post #84
    Thanks

Well you've made a faulty projection here - that I'm angry and fearful and attacking - and you've built a whole post around it.

Btw, My avatar is a villain from a "b" movie with what you might call a small cult following. It's meant to be kind of ironic. But I digress..

Before I forget, are you really jimmy church pretending to be someone else?

Truth is never "negative".
    Spreading the truth is never an "attack".
    Expressing it isn't "fearful".

Nice try though.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Bluegreen (5th December 2017), Hervé (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (4th December 2017), Matthew (4th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017), RunningDeer (4th December 2017), Sunny-side-up (26th December 2017), Wind (5th December 2017)

7. Link to Post #85
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by felix roseczky (here)

Maybe take life bit more easy - theres really nothing to be angry or feared about. Everything is how it was ment to be. You re perfect as you are.
    We all follow divine ways and rules our little human conciousness is hardly able to follow. Reality is much stranger than fiction.
    Where i come from we say like:
    Dont **** the earth but make children with her, spread positive and never negative energy.
    Why not changing your avatar to a rainbow and feel the love and phantasy a rainbow spreads.

I tend to write loveletters to god and mother earth. its like mindmasage or so....

Lets just respect each other from deep inside. respect each and anyones point of view. we re all from one source. all experiences are worth to be made.
    i m grateful for the deepest holes i fall into. so i could climb out of them.

dont feel that youre duty is to attack anyone who has different point of view about earth shape.
    imagine: youre eye transforms light waves into a picture. in reality all you see is vibrating energy, in different frequency. an egg and a tennisball are actually made of the same - vibrating energy.
    dont waste your mind for defending anything when you can discover new horizons of being.

ONE LOVE
    Mike's not an angry person at all. In fact he keeps his cool, long after many wouldn't be able to in many discussions. You'll get to know his style if you hang around here enough We all have a style here that, once known, makes posts much more clear. (except maybe mine, lol) In fact I'd say Mike likes to play a little Devil's advocate occasionally (as do I). Something that should always be done once in a while as a reality check.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 4th December 2017 at 23:34.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Bluegreen (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (5th December 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (5th December 2017), Mike (4th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017), petra (5th December 2017), RunningDeer (5th December 2017)

9. Link to Post #86
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    [...]

....but the phenomena of the air sort of moving with the earth is something I can't really observe. If one plugs in the idea of inertial frame of reference, then one can intelligently say to oneself "okay, that makes sense. " But it does require a little bit of trust. It creates just a tiny bit of uncertainty. And I think that's what Petra was saying.
    Right, and I understand that

Now, one has to consider that if the atmosphere doesn't stick with the earth rotation, one would experience 1000mph wind on their windshield 24/365...

Then, resorting to earth not rotating as an explanation and there goes nights and days as well as sunrises and sunsets; that is, when one lives outside of any of the arctic circles... because, there, it's sun circling above the horizon 24/7 for a few months of the year around summer time whereas, anywhere else on earth, days and nights consistently follow each other... how come arctic circles and their 24/7 sunlight don't occur at the equator?

Yet, day + night occur simultaneously to 24/7 sunlight near one of the poles...

Well, there is only one solution to that set of "observations."

So, in order to gain the certainty that one can reach that solution and know it is the only possible one, one does need to understand the basics of fundamental geometry.

Eratosthenes was no MSM mouthpiece but he understood fundamental geometry to solve the dilemma of:
    "How come is it that the sun is simultaneously vertical over there when it is at an angle from vertical over here?"
    ... especially when a plumb line stabilizes exactly perpendicular to any water puddle surface anywhere on earth, whether pole or equator...
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (5th December 2017), Mike (5th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017)

11. Link to Post #87
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    [...]

....but the phenomena of the air sort of moving with the earth is something I can't really observe. If one plugs in the idea of inertial frame of reference, then one can intelligently say to oneself "okay, that makes sense. " But it does require a little bit of trust. It creates just a tiny bit of uncertainty. And I think that's what Petra was saying.
    Right, and I understand that

Now, one has to consider that if the atmosphere doesn't stick with the earth rotation, one would experience 1000mph wind on their windshield 24/365...

Then, resorting to earth not rotating as an explanation and there goes nights and days as well as sunrises and sunsets; that is, when one lives outside of any of the arctic circles... because, there, it's sun circling above the horizon 24/7 for a few months of the year around summer time whereas, anywhere else on earth, days and nights consistently follow each other... how come arctic circles and their 24/7 sunlight don't occur at the equator?

Yet, day + night occur simultaneously to 24/7 sunlight near one of the poles...

Well, there is only one solution to that set of "observations."

So, in order to gain the certainty that one can reach that solution and know it is the only possible one, one does need to understand the basics of fundamental geometry.

Eratosthenes was no MSM mouthpiece but he understood fundamental geometry to solve the dilemma of:
    "How come is it that the sun is simultaneously vertical over there when it is at an angle from vertical over here?"
    ... especially when a plumb line stabilizes exactly perpendicular to any water puddle surface anywhere on earth, whether pole or equator...

All that would make perfect sense if the world wasn't flat.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yep, that all makes total sense. I was thinking similar thoughts as this doctor fellow was making his arguments for a stationary earth. He had some wonky explanation for there being no 1000 mph winds in his model, and it was just convincing enough and his credentials were just convincing enough to make me pause a moment. I'm not proud of it LOL.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Hervé (5th December 2017)

13. Link to Post #88
    Thanks

I really wish i had not commented on this at all i have been looking into both sides of the argument and have learnt lots i really dont care what shape anything is anymore only that people be respectful to each other.

i dont find it good at all to feel ive been apart of anyone being removed from here.

Albert Einstein and Leopold Infeld-The Evolution of Physics-"The struggle,so violent in the early days of science,between the views of Ptolemy and Copernicus would then be quite meaningless.Either coordinate system could be used with equal justification.The two sentences,'the sun is at rest and the earth moves,'or 'the sun moves and the earth is at rest,'would simply mean two different conventions concerning two different coordinate systems."

Albert Einstien,Message on the 410th Anniversary of the Death of Copernicus (1953)-Once it was recognised that the earth was not the centre of the world,but only one of the smaller planets,the illusion of the central significance of man himself became untenable.Hence,Nicolaus Copernicus,through his work and the greatness of his personality,taught man to be honest.

Obviously conspiracies about anything can be created but just because they are created doesn't make them right.
    Last edited by daviddjg23; 5th December 2017 at 04:04.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daviddjg23 For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Ewan (5th December 2017), Mike (5th December 2017), petra (5th December 2017), RunningDeer (5th December 2017)

15. Link to Post #89
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by daviddjg23 (here)
    I really wish i had not commented on this at all i have been looking into both sides of the argument and have learnt lots i really dont care what shape anything is anymore only that people be respectful to each other.
    This is not just two "sides of an argument". The ultimate goal, I am convinced, is not just that we all get along and be respectful.

Rather I remain convinced, as I have my entire life, that there really is a reality, and that our ultimate well being depends on how well we understand that reality.

This reality is complex, multi-layered, and both within each of us and "out there". Our puny conscious brains can only glimpse this reality in little snippets at a time, from one vantage point at a time.

But our efforts, collective and individual, to better understand reality, to be more aware at various levels, are paramount, are an essential core of our being.

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the "why can't we all just get along" crowd.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

16. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Bill Ryan (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), daviddjg23 (5th December 2017), DeDukshyn (5th December 2017), ditting (7th December 2017), Ewan (21st January 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (5th December 2017), Matthew (5th December 2017), Michelle Marie (5th December 2017), Mike (5th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017), petra (5th December 2017), RunningDeer (5th December 2017), Wind (5th December 2017)

17. Link to Post #90
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

i dont find it good at all to feel ive been apart of anyone being removed from here.
    daviddjg23, I didn’t see you as being disrespectful. Nor was misbis removed. The moderators respected her request to be unsubscribed. It was unfortunate how it went down.

My guess is the language barrier played a large part in the misunderstanding. misbis has been a member for over six years and only posted 148 times. She probably felt more comfortable to read than write.

Quote Wish you [Bill] well. You are not forgotten, at all
    Kuddos to misbis on a recent thread: Do you want Bill on air regularly? I do. Based on the number of thanks, 53 members thought her idea is super, too. Her OP not only demonstrates the desire to learn, but it’s a touching acknowledgment of how misbis feels about Bill and his perspectives.

Quote Posted by misbis (here)
    Hello Bill, I wander if you can make from time to time short clips where you share with us your point of view, your reflections of what happen in the world. I will be grateful if you have ones a month for expl. - Bill on the air or something like this Wish you well. You are not forgotten, at all

Last edited by RunningDeer; 5th December 2017 at 13:38.

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Bill Ryan (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), daviddjg23 (5th December 2017), Ewan (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th December 2017), Hervé (5th December 2017), Matthew (5th December 2017), Michelle Marie (5th December 2017), Mike (5th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017), ThePythonicCow (5th December 2017)

19. Link to Post #91
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,534 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by felix roseczky, addressing Mike (here)
    Felix, you've been here less than a week, and you've made less than half a dozen posts. One could be forgiven for getting the impression that you're acting like you know better than others.

You don't... and you don't know Mike at all, who's greatly loved by the members here and has been here for years.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th December 2017), Michelle Marie (5th December 2017), Mike (5th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017), RunningDeer (5th December 2017), ThePythonicCow (5th December 2017), Wind (5th December 2017)

21. Link to Post #92
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    This is not just two "sides of an argument".
    No, it's not.

Neither is it two sides of any argument to discuss whether my dog is really a cat.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (5th December 2017), Matthew (5th December 2017), Mike (5th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017), RunningDeer (5th December 2017), sunwings (5th December 2017), ThePythonicCow (5th December 2017), Wind (5th December 2017)

23. Link to Post #93
    Thanks

Burn them hes a witch burn him

Obviously i cant win whatever i say.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daviddjg23 For This Post:

DeDukshyn (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (6th December 2017), Mike (5th December 2017)

25. Link to Post #94
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)

daviddjg23, I didn’t see you as being disrespectful. Nor was misbis removed. The moderators respected her request to be unsubscribe. It was unfortunate how it went down.

My guess is the language barrier played a large part in the misunderstanding. misbis has been a member for over six years and posted 148 times. She probably felt more comfortable to read than to post.
    Yes, misbis asked to be retired, but her account is still active. She's a lovely person, and we regard her as being in good standing here. We were unable to contact her by e-mail, so we're hoping she sees this and returns to rejoin the community.

ofelas was unsubscribed.

As a matter of policy, we have little patience — maybe none at all! — with diehard hard-core Flat Earthers who are unwilling to think clearly or look at the clear facts literally in front of their noses each time the sun (or moon, or any other celestial body) rises or sets.

If someone's unable to figure things like this out, they may be unlikely to figure out other questions which are almost infinitely more difficult. That very much limits their ability to contribute to the learning of others.

We're happy to entertain members who are sincerely trying to figure things out, and are making progress to be able to answer their own questions.

Good questions are healthy. Good answers are even healthier.

NOT making progress, and NOT trying to, is not a healthy condition. It's NOT a statement of wisdom or strength to proclaim that one doesn't know, and wear it like some kind of badge of honor. It's a confession of confusion and/or inability — in some cases. That doesn't support sovereignty, clear thinking, or any kind of inner strength.

It's like someone who can't write, or tell the time. Those holes in our ability to interact meaningfully with the logic of the world do NOT help us to lead proactive lives that matter.

You may have no clue about the shape of the planet, and also be a wonderful mother or father. But please, do NOT try to home-school your children. You'll do them harm.

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Ewan (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th December 2017), Hervé (5th December 2017), Matthew (5th December 2017), Mike (5th December 2017), RunningDeer (5th December 2017), ThePythonicCow (5th December 2017), Wind (5th December 2017)

27. Link to Post #95
    Thanks

I'm in agreement with Paula. It's easy to forget that language can create misunderstandings when you've never really had to speak any other language besides your native tongue.

..and now I'm feeling a little guilty. My Greek statue palm face post was pretty obnoxious and couldn't have helped matters. Ya know I just saw a bit of miscommunication and felt a little exasperated.

Misbis, if you're out there reading this, I hope you reconsider and return. Please give us another shot. You sent me a friendship request shortly before you left and, although I've been a member here for quite some time, it's still a treat to get one of those. And I think your idea for putting Bill on the air is a fantastic one!

See you soon I hope.

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Bill Ryan (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Ewan (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th December 2017), Harley (5th December 2017), Hervé (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (6th December 2017), Matthew (5th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017), RunningDeer (5th December 2017), ThePythonicCow (5th December 2017), Wind (5th December 2017)

29. Link to Post #96
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 times in 428 posts

Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 5th December 2017 at 07:36. Reason: fix image link so everyone can see it
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Billy (5th December 2017), Ewan (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th December 2017), Hervé (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (5th December 2017), sunwings (5th December 2017)

31. Link to Post #97
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

What the heck is happening??? 352 online>?
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 5th December 2017 at 07:40.

32. Link to Post #98
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    What the heck is happening??? 352 online>?
    Most of the "online users" of this Avalon forum right now are the Chinese Baidu, Microsoft Bing and Chinese Sogou web spiders, each of which are using a number of IP addresses in parallel to scan our site.

Over the last few hours, Baidu has been using 114 IP addrs, Bing has been using 257 IP addrs and Sogou has been using 103 IP addrs, for a total of 474 distinct "users" (IP addresses.)
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 5th December 2017 at 07:59.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Ewan (5th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th December 2017), Hervé (5th December 2017), KiwiElf (5th December 2017), Matthew (5th December 2017), Nasu (5th December 2017)

34. Link to Post #99
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Looked like a real sudden drop - avg for this time is around 600 - 700????

EDIT: Climbing back to that now?? Please delete my posts if necessary - that was weird

Last edited by KiwiElf; 5th December 2017 at 09:51.

35. Link to Post #100
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,067 times in 8,172 posts

I'm going to say something that might not go down well with many.

We are increasingly becoming swamped in a kind of ass-backwards kindergarden thinking.

Think of all those children's paintings we see on the walls of primary schools and pre-school centres. It's colorful, usually, and gloriously un lifelike in it's perceptions. Children are encouraged to do it and there seems to be some developmental utility to it, at least according to the "experts". [ that subject probably deserves a discussion thread all on it's own ]

Then shift your ponderings to the internet chattering forums and reality exploration communities that are actually only a few years old. Life's mysteries are endless, and we discuss them, here and elsewhere. Even a crusty old contemplative like me can only draw a picture that's part way true/real to life. We all sketch/think and some of us put our pictures up on the walls.

Something that's changed with the internet is that the primaries and juniors and the mid schoolers are jumbled up together in one space. Add to that the current social engineering fashions that, for example, have created over 40 genders or the trend of manipulatively making "stupid" ( I mean that humorously ) a kind of leadership think thank authority, and we find ourselves at a place where child art thinking is supposed to be aspirational rather than the other way around.

I get brain scrambled every time I watch a flat earther video. it's like child art, but not in an innocent way. It's more like paedopholia of the intellect, and classroom predatory.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

avid (5th December 2017), Baby Steps (5th December 2017), Bluegreen (5th December 2017), Iloveyou (13th December 2017), Matthew (5th December 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 5 10 LastLast