+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you remember a Japanese movie....?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Default Do you remember a Japanese movie....?

...that was situated in an apartment? A man lived in one apartment and a woman lived in the adjacent apartment. The man would imagine the woman's apartment and imagine what she did in it. Then you'd see insider her apartment and how she actually lived. Obviously, the two were very different. A very unique, campy, visually exciting movie.

I saw it about 15 years ago and so enjoyed it I want to see it again. I can't remember the title. Help.

If no one can remember seeing it, what other movies can you recall that are somewhat different? In storyline, visually, anything. Just something unique. Foreign (to the USA) films are often special in this way.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bluegreen (12th December 2017), Kryztian (13th December 2017), Nasu (13th December 2017), RunningDeer (13th December 2017), Stephanie (13th December 2017), Sunny-side-up (12th December 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

Default Re: Do you remember a Japanese movie....?

I see movies as predictive programming or satanic in nature or both, and have actually become somewhat proud of the movies I haven't seen. However, I didn't always feel this way and still see filmmakers as (potential) genuine artists.

Any movie that can create a world inherent unto itself, such as "The Wizard of Oz" or illuminati member Warren Beatty's "Dick Tracy", is something I respect. One movie that accomplished this (IMO) was Bobcat Goldthwait's "Shakes the Clown". In this movie, the Clowns and the Mimes are bitter rivals and hate each other. The local bar is called the Twisted Balloon. Florence Henderson plays a clown groupie. It was universally panned, lost a spectacular amount of money, and apparently is pictured today in the dictionary if one looks up 'bad movie'. I admired it and saw it as a real artistic achievement.

http://nightflight.com/remembering-r...-clown-movies/

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

conk (13th December 2017), DNA (13th December 2017), RunningDeer (13th December 2017), Stephanie (13th December 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,531 times in 32,788 posts

I just got an e-mail from a non-member guest.

~~~

Could you just inform Conk that the Japanese film he/she is looking for is Kikareta onna no mirareta yoru? (Man, Woman and the Wall)

In the International Movie Database: http://imdb.com/title/tt1236242. Thank you. [name provided]

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Bluegreen (13th December 2017), conk (13th December 2017), DNA (13th December 2017), Harley (13th December 2017), Ioneo (13th December 2017), kanishk (13th December 2017), Kryztian (13th December 2017), Nasu (13th December 2017), Praxis (13th December 2017), RunningDeer (13th December 2017), Stephanie (13th December 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I just got an e-mail from a non-member guest.
    Wow! That’s cool.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th December 2017), Bluegreen (13th December 2017), conk (13th December 2017), DNA (13th December 2017), Harley (13th December 2017), kanishk (13th December 2017), Stephanie (13th December 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Nice work, Bill!

And say,while we're on the topic of lost titles of Japanese movies, can I ask for some help in locating one that I would love to find?

It's set in a small community in a wooded area, where recently deceased people stay for a few days while they reflect on their lives. The deal is that they will soon embark on an eternal existence in which they will get to "relive" the best day of their lives. The story centres around a young woman and an old man who have long conversations with each other as they try to decide. There is a deadline,(no pun intended) and they feel the pressure weighing on them as they each review their lives. I never got to see the end, and would love to see what happened to them.

Please help me find this wonderful film!

Brian

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Running Deer

I love your "Thank You" emoji. You have the BEST graphics!

B.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

conk (13th December 2017), RunningDeer (13th December 2017), Stephanie (13th December 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Fellow Aspirant (here)
    Running Deer

I love your "Thank You" emoji. You have the BEST graphics!

B.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 13th December 2017 at 08:00.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

naochan (13th December 2017), Stephanie (13th December 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

While we are at it

One of my fave Japanese movie is "Nankyoku Monogatari" aka "Antartica" released in 1983 directed by Koreyoshi Kurahara.

A movie about dramatic Scientific rescue from impossible weather conditions on a return journey from the South Pole, the relationship between the scientists and their loyal and hard-working Sakhalin huskies who were left behind.
    The soundtrack itself was composed by Master Vangelis

Quite a visual and sonic experience indeed.
    I have seen life on this planet, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SpookyMulder For This Post:

Arcturian108 (13th December 2017), conk (13th December 2017), Fellow Aspirant (13th December 2017), Kristin (13th December 2017), Stephanie (13th December 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Thanks everyone, thanks Bill and to the non-member. Now to find the movie somewhere.

My favorite movie, foreign or otherwise is Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring. It is a Korean film about a young monk and his experiences growing up. I can't begin to describe how gloriously beautiful this movie is. The cinematography and direction is special. Good story as well.

Thanks again Bill and friend.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bluegreen (14th December 2017), Fellow Aspirant (13th December 2017), RunningDeer (13th December 2017), Stephanie (13th December 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    Japanese
    Thanks

Brian,

I think you are thinking about "After Life" directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda (1998).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165078/reference

I watched it about 5 years ago or so, borrowing it from the public library here. I still reflect on it, wondering what has my best time in life been... Of course, it changes each time I think about it.

naomi
    Last edited by naochan; 13th December 2017 at 13:48.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naochan For This Post:

AlyssaRoselyn (13th December 2017), conk (13th June 2019), Fellow Aspirant (13th December 2017), Stephanie (13th December 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Oh, Paula, there you go again!

So cool.

Brian
    Last edited by Fellow Aspirant; 13th December 2017 at 18:13.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

RunningDeer (13th December 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by naochan (here)
    Brian,

I think you are thinking about "After Life" directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda (1998).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165078/reference

I watched it about 5 years ago or so, borrowing it from the public library here. I still reflect on it, wondering what has my best time in life been... Of course, it changes each time I think about it.

naomi
    Yes! That's it!

Thanks so much Naomi. Now I can get together with Lauren and finish the story.

Namaste my dear.

Brian

Albert E.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

naochan (13th December 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    Japanese
    Thanks

Yes, Vangelis! I've known his music for "Nankyoku Monogatari",
    but have never seen the film.

I should look it up and watch it. Thanks SpookyMulder!

naomi
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

24. The Following User Says Thank You to naochan For This Post:

Bluegreen (14th December 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member AlyssaRoselyn's Avatar
    Thanks

Samurai Gourmet is a short little show on Netflix and it's like nothing I've ever seen before. It's about this very serious business man retiring and feeling like the best part of his life is over. All he wanted to do on his first day of retirement was go back to work until he decided to go eat lunch somewhere he's never tried before. His imagination is absolutely amazing; randomly during his meal he looks up and it's as if he's teleported to a past where samurai roam. As he deals with being pushed around by difficult people, he sees a samurai through his imagination and he watches the samurai deal with the same issue in the most honorable way. Then he becomes inspired and flashes back into his actual reality and he tries his hardest to be tough like a samurai would. Now the main topic of the show is actually food. Every episode is him searching for his perfect meal because a samurai has a big appetite and big expectations. I can only hope I enjoy life like this little old man when I retire!
    One who looks outside dreams
    One who looks inside, awakens.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlyssaRoselyn For This Post:

conk (18th September 2018), Fellow Aspirant (13th December 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Arcturian108's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,329 times in 930 posts

I don't know if this film is still available anywhere, as it came out about 40 years ago. I believe it was directed by Akira Kurosawa and is called "Doudesukaden". It's about a young boy whose main joy in life is imitating being a streetcar conductor.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Arcturian108 For This Post:

29. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member pabranno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 times in 319 posts

This is a marvelous opportunity to ask for recommendations of all foreign films. Unfortunately, by foreign, I mean anything other than American cinema. By calling it foreign it almost infers an inferior aspect. Human nature, and by the way, its' true. I find such subtlety, understated depth in foreign films. In general, American cinema by and large seems vapid, insipid and void of meaningful depth. No, I cannot define the words I just used..... I welcome any recommendations of movies other than " American"... Thank you all, o Noble People....

30. The Following User Says Thank You to pabranno For This Post:

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by pabranno (here)
    This is a marvelous opportunity to ask for recommendations of all foreign films. Unfortunately, by foreign, I mean anything other than American cinema. By calling it foreign it almost infers an inferior aspect. Human nature, and by the way, its' true. I find such subtlety, understated depth in foreign films. In general, American cinema by and large seems vapid, insipid and void of meaningful depth. No, I cannot define the words I just used..... I welcome any recommendations of movies other than " American"... Thank you all, o Noble People....
    My daughter is a huge fan of Anime, a story telling style that Japan has mastered. I can highly recommend anything produced by Studio Ghibli. At the top of that list I would put ...

1. Princess Mononoke http://studio-ghibli.wikia.com/wiki/Princess_Mononoke

Name:  mono.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  37.6 KB

Directed by Hayao Miyazaki
    Produced by Toshio Suzuki
    Written by Hayao Miyazaki
    Starring Yōji Matsuda

Yuriko Ishida Yūko Tanaka Kaoru Kobayashi
    Music by Joe Hisaishi
    Cinematography Atsushi Okui
    Editing by Takeshi Seyama
    Studio Studio Ghibli
    Distributed by Japan:

North America:
    Miramax Films
    Release date(s) July 12, 1997
    Running time 134 minutes
    Country Japan
    Language Japanese
    Budget ¥ 2,135,666,804.93
    ($ 23.5 million)
    Gross revenue ¥ 14,487,325,138.75
    ($ 159,375,308)Miyazaki of Studio Ghibli. It was first released in Japan on July 12, 1997 and in the United States on October 29, 1999 in select cities and on November 26, 1999.

Princess Mononoke (もののけ姫, Mononokehime) is a 1997 Japanese epic anime film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki of Studio Ghibli.

Synopsis
    When an Emishi village is attacked by a fierce demon boar, the young prince A****aka puts his life at stake to defend his tribe. With its dying breath, the beast curses the prince's arm, granting him demonic powers while gradually siphoning his life away. Instructed by the village elders to travel westward for a cure, A****aka arrives at Tatara, the Iron Town, where he finds himself embroiled in a fierce conflict: Lady Eboshi of Tatara, promoting constant deforestation, stands against Princess San and the sacred spirits of the forest, who are furious at the destruction brought by the humans. As the opposing forces of nature and mankind begin to clash in a desperate struggle for survival, A****aka attempts to seek harmony between the two, all the while battling the latent demon inside of him. Princess Mononoke is a tale depicting the connection of technology and nature, while showing the path to harmony that could be achieved by mutual acceptance.

Mononoke) is not a name, but a general term in Japanese for a spirit or monster.

Roger Ebert placed the movie sixth on his top ten movies of 1999.[1] Mononoke also became the highest grossing movie in Japan until Titanic took over the spot several months later. Overall, Mononoke is the third most popular anime movie in Japan, next to ...

ALSO HIGHLY RECOMMENDED 2001's "Spirited Away" and 2004's "Howl's Moving Castle", both by Miyazaki.

Absolutely wonderful filming - deeply moving and dreamlike with haunting imagery and storylines.

Brian
    Last edited by Fellow Aspirant; 14th December 2017 at 05:41.

Albert E.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

pabranno (14th December 2017)

+ Reply to Thread