+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast

Thread: Matt Damon Makes Some Very Reasonable Comments About Sexual Harassment...

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,448 times in 32,921 posts

Default Re: Matt Damon Makes Some Very Reasonable Comments About Sexual Harassment...

Quote Posted by Curious77 (here)
    Bill -- This is a very disappointing post to read --

You're obviously suggesting that Minnie Driver is criticizing Matt Damon's comments --
    not because he is wrong -- but because the romance with Matt didn't work out.
    No — I was just adding context that was omitted in the original article. It may help us to understand some of the complexities maybe a little better.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Bruno (22nd December 2017), DNA (27th December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017), Noelle (22nd December 2017), sdv (22nd December 2017)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Default Re: Matt Damon Makes Some Very Reasonable Comments About Sexual Harassment...

In regards to the above, "First, Matt Damon does not have the right to decide what can be categorised as sexual harassment or not. Men may not dictate to women on this issue, in no way whatsoever, whenever!.."

Damon wasn't deciding for anyone but himself and saying his opinion. He's not dictating to anyone.
    If a man is being charged with sexual harassment charges and in danger of having his life ruined he has a right to defend himself and that may include interpreting actions, law or whatever in a different way than the female is, or their respective attorneys are. The female may or may not be ethical. That goes on to. But this view that the female gets to force their definitions on the culture carte blanche is not correct either. There's 2 genders and we have to meet in the middle

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

DNA (27th December 2017), KiwiElf (22nd December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017), Noelle (22nd December 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,549 times in 833 posts

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    In regards to the above, "First, Matt Damon does not have the right to decide what can be categorised as sexual harassment or not. Men may not dictate to women on this issue, in no way whatsoever, whenever!.."

Damon wasn't deciding for anyone but himself and saying his opinion. He's not dictating to anyone.
    If a man is being charged with sexual harassment charges and in danger of having his life ruined he has a right to defend himself and that may include interpreting actions, law or whatever in a different way than the female is, or their respective attorneys are. The female may or may not be ethical. That goes on to. But this view that the female gets to force their definitions on the culture carte blanche is not correct either. There's 2 genders and we have to meet in the middle
    Thanks for sharing your view, but I disagree. Men may not defend themselves by arguing abut a spectrum, excusing their behaviour and getting to categorise what is sexual harrassment or not. A man does not get to decide what he can impose on me. Weinstein is the classic example of why men must shut up - he repeatedly made unwelcome advances on women when the only context was his power (no personal relationship at all) and then refused to back off when they said no. What Matt Damon said gives men like Weinstein space in which to operate because they are given the power to negotiate and define the issue )oh, it's not that bad, I just grabbed her bum while the photograph was being taken - hands up those men who think bu grabbing is not that bad on the spectrum). It is a woman's sovereign right to decide for herself what is acceptable or not, appropriate or not. Oh dear, a man won't know where the line is nor what will happen if he accidently crosses it? If that is the price for stopping this high level of sexual harrassment, then I am all for investing in improving interpersonal relationships and becoming more emotionally mature and socially wise.

Someone made the comment on this thread that some women are part of the problem and I do agree. Human interactions are complex, but we need to change the status quo.

To any woman who has not experienced sexual harrassment repeatedly in her life, you are very lucky. To any woman who does not personally know a woman who has been raped, you are very lucky.

By the way, I am sure that there are men who would never cross the line - ever. They can have a voice by standing up to men who do cross the line (that joke was insulting to women, that is not an ok way to speak to a woman, treat a woman ...). No public statement required - just stand up to the man, one-on-one. That is how men can use their power to stop sexual harrassment, not the bumbling way that Matt Damon did.
    Sandie
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. (Carl Sagan)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

Bruno (22nd December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017), Noelle (22nd December 2017), Reinhard (23rd December 2017)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,572 times in 5,713 posts

MATT DAMON HAS NEVER TOLD ANYONE HOW TO FEEL. This appears to be coming from highly defensive minds that are determined to monopolize the entire dialogue, and revel in their sense of victimhood. Yes, there are many victims here of course - and I'm not suggesting they are not entitled to their pain - I'm suggesting they are so overwhelmed with emotion and feelings of lofty self righteousness that they are refusing to acknowledge small, basic truths....

..truths like: patting someone on the rear end is not the same as rape. He is simply encouraging everyone not to conflate the two. I can't imagine, even for a moment, that anyone would even try to dispute that statement. This is basic stuff. Sanity 101.

This is the spectrum Damon was referring to. And if one doesn't wish to acknowledge a difference here, I'd encourage you (women and men) to imagine for a moment you are in a prison somewhere, held by sadistic torturers. And they give you a choice: "we will torture you with repeated rapes, or we will torture you with repeated butt slaps - you choose.."

sdv, I don't think that men that might argue the spectrum thing are excusing their behavior; and they're not trying to determine what is sexual harassment and what isn't....they are simply saying, like Damon pointed out, that there is a difference between a man who rapes someone (Weinstein) and a man who pats a woman's behind or grabs her breasts (Franken), and we must proceed accordingly in judging them.

It's all a form of harassment. You'll get no argument from me there. I'm not trying to let anyone off the hook with semantical tricks. But there is a difference and it needs to be acknowledged, because if it isn't we will all be drifting into very dangerous territory here.

This would be like conflating the guy at the local bar who's been in a few fights with a murderer, and then indignantly shouting him down when he attempts to defend himself. Political correctness, at it's worst, is like a form of fascism. It attempts to strip the accused of any reasonable way to defend themselves. Anything they say will be met with accusations of "justifications" or "cold unrepentance" . It's a trap. The bait is out of control emotion. Damon is trying to encourage us all to not take the bait.
    Last edited by Mike; 22nd December 2017 at 17:43.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (27th December 2017), Innocent Warrior (22nd December 2017), KiwiElf (22nd December 2017), lilac (23rd December 2017), littleOne (13th March 2018), Noelle (22nd December 2017), Wind (23rd December 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Second that, Mike - I'm thankful for some common sense SANITY on the subject & screw the mind rot that is "PC". (... and no offense ladies - there are plenty of men who get hit on by women, women who get hit on by other women - and men on other men! Please stop making out that women are the only "victims" here and that males are the only predators - It applies both/all ways and varying degrees (and I'll take the sexual stare or butt slap any day over the rape, thanks! .)
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 22nd December 2017 at 18:34.

10. Link to Post #26
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

I didn't want to comment because this can be a very sensitive subject. But when I step back and see the bigger picture what I see is these guys are seemingly on the top of their respective pyramids, so who is going to call them out so they think and they feel they can do some outrageous things because who is going to challenge them. And do they get some psychic manual that includes, bathrobes, doing business in hotel suites, and having a third wheel disappear at the right moment, and taking pictures with others and doing things with your hands no one else can see. Is this part of the arrangement that is agreed to so they sell their soul being for being a big shot. And their enablers, often women but not just one a whole group of people enabling these people.
    It's the system, a system build on greed, and status, and power and these people now can do as they will or not.

Is all this circus just to get to Trump, I would not be surprised at all.
    Last edited by 3(C)+me; 22nd December 2017 at 21:28.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

Curious77 (28th February 2018), Innocent Warrior (22nd December 2017), KiwiElf (22nd December 2017), lilac (23rd December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017), seko (23rd December 2017)

12. Link to Post #27
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

It used to be that most women were flattered by flirtatious banter.
    On the whole they were well able to handle this kind of situation

Now the danger is that one woman would see this as a man being a man--another seeing the encounter as sexual harassment.

No right minded person would be happy with a male persisting when a female does not want his attention and says so verbally or otherwise.
    It is particularly abhorrent when a man/or woman predator uses their position to enforce their unwanted desires.

Political correct positions can be flawed though--there is a balance to be found one would hope.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

3(C)+me (22nd December 2017), DNA (27th December 2017), Flash (22nd December 2017), Innocent Warrior (22nd December 2017), KiwiElf (22nd December 2017), lilac (23rd December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017), Wind (23rd December 2017)

14. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    Second that, Mike - I'm thankful for some common sense SANITY on the subject & screw the mind rot that is "PC". (... and no offense ladies - there are plenty of men who get hit on by women, women who get hit on by other women - and men on other men! Please stop making out that women are the only "victims" here and that males are the only predators - It applies both/all ways and varying degrees (and I'll take the sexual stare or butt slap any day over the rape, thanks! .)
    Kiwi
    I definitely see more aggressive flirting on the part of women today with men, not sure about the 'hitting on' them. But what women are going to do is 'hit on' Romance itself. They are making men, confused, hesitant and turned off.
    Women are not more moral than men. We are more physically vulnerable. That part is a fact of life that the culture has to regard but women trying to usurp a moral high ground just because they're women is bs.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

3(C)+me (22nd December 2017), bluestflame (22nd December 2017), Chris Gilbert (22nd December 2017), DNA (27th December 2017), Flash (22nd December 2017), Innocent Warrior (22nd December 2017), KiwiElf (22nd December 2017), lilac (23rd December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017)

16. Link to Post #29
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Yes Helene, I think degrees of "aggression" is key combined with intent - irrespective of gender or sexuality.
    As an ex teacher, we were very "briefed-up" on the subject - and yet the "rules" never took into account students being the "aggressor" to the teacher. While most assume (incorrectly) that the student is always the vulnerable party, it's rarely seen the other way, and in fact both are vulnerable. It really has nothing to do with gender or sexuality at all. Some "people" are just more sexually "aggressive" than others. Where that line is drawn is a very "grey" area.

17. Link to Post #30
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    Kiwi
    I definitely see more aggressive flirting on the part of women today with men, not sure about the 'hitting on' them. But what women are going to do is 'hit on' Romance itself. They are making men, confused, hesitant and turned off.
    Women are not more moral than men. We are more physically vulnerable. That part is a fact of life that the culture has to regard but women trying to usurp a moral high ground just because they're women is bs.
    Exactly, and guys don't doubt for a moment that there are plenty of ladies who know exactly how to play you. When I was working in hospitality the girls used to hate when I was on duty at work, they couldn't play me like the male managers and had to work (hiring attractive young women is a staple in hospitality).
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 22nd December 2017 at 20:16. Reason: Clarified
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

bennycog (23rd December 2017), bluestflame (22nd December 2017), DNA (27th December 2017), greybeard (22nd December 2017), Helene West (22nd December 2017), KiwiElf (22nd December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017)

19. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,052 times in 2,398 posts

No lady could play me, discounting the fact that none would care to any more. :D

Whatever is involved in the process of awakening allowed that kind of behaviour to become transparent to me, to the point it was more stomach churning than endearing.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

bluestflame (22nd December 2017), Flash (22nd December 2017), Helene West (22nd December 2017), Innocent Warrior (22nd December 2017), Jayke (23rd December 2017), KiwiElf (22nd December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017), Wind (23rd December 2017)

21. Link to Post #32
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    No lady could play me, discounting the fact that none would care to any more. :D

Whatever is involved in the process of awakening allowed that kind of behaviour to become transparent to me, to the point it was more stomach churning than endearing.
    I generalised (sorry guys!) but my point is that females can be sleazy too, seen plenty of that, consistently.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

bennycog (23rd December 2017), bluestflame (22nd December 2017), DNA (27th December 2017), Ewan (23rd December 2017), Flash (22nd December 2017), Helene West (22nd December 2017), KiwiElf (22nd December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017), Wind (23rd December 2017)

23. Link to Post #33
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

A recent alleged rape conviction overturned--one of quite a few surfacing.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

We tend to be quick to judge---some times correctly but not always.
    My favorite follow on thought is "May be so"

Rape conviction overturned after deleted Facebook messages found as fears over evidence disclosure mount

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/rape-convi...111000784.html

I have compassion for every genuine case.
    Rape is a horrendous crime.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

bennycog (23rd December 2017), Cidersomerset (27th December 2017), DNA (27th December 2017), KiwiElf (23rd December 2017), Mike (23rd December 2017), Wind (23rd December 2017)

25. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

I feel there is an attack on men happening and an attack on genders as well......we've gone from GIRL POWER to don't gender your daughter!!! and we've gone from "NO means NO" to "Yes means NO" (Louis CK did ask these women if they would mind if he masterbated in front of them).....so even if you ask and even if the person says its ok, you are still a predator......he has said himself that these women looked up to him and he abused his power, even though he did ask them........I feel that these women felt they had something to gain by not offending him by saying NO, so they were, it seems to me, planning to use HIM for their own careers.....I agree totally with Matt Damon that this thing has got way out of control.....if we were to go back in time so many things that were acceptable years ago are no longer acceptable but can we go back and say they did this 40 years ago (when it was common place) and charge them under todays acceptable behavior guidelines?
    Please dont misunderstand me I do not think men or anyone, should sexually abuse another person, be it man woman or child......but lets be realistic here......at this rate men will be afraid to even speak to a woman.....perhaps that is the plan.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Earth Angel For This Post:

bluestflame (23rd December 2017), Ewan (23rd December 2017), Hervé (23rd December 2017), littleOne (13th March 2018), Mike (23rd December 2017)

27. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,651 times in 1,409 posts

Without wishing to get mired in the details & ethics of all this, is there something bigger going on here ?

In TV & Films generally there has been a marked move away from strong & likable male leads in storylines, to the point of a joke really, how many films that would have at one time had a "hard man" as the central character now feature an 8 stone girl with arms like pipe cleaners who can non the less floor a 200lb guy with a single punch ?

Another example is the number of cop shows where no male plays any role other than idiot, extra or criminal (unless they are gay or not white) .

I read a while back that in Sweden the only white males on children's TV are either obviously gay or in wheelchairs.

I'm not being racist or sexist here, something is happening, something that smells of marxism.

PS

I'm not buying the "clean up" stories either, look at the Clintons, how many girls have those two monsters raped in whatever time they could find between all their other criminal activities & spirit cooking.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

Hervé (23rd December 2017), jake gittes (28th December 2017), lilac (23rd December 2017), littleOne (13th March 2018), Mike (23rd December 2017)

29. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

I don't like to take part either in discussions like these as they usually are emotionally triggering and words need to be placed carefully in order not to be misunderstood.

A few key words to think about here:

Victimization, balance of power, truth coming into the light, political correctness, hysteria...

And so forth.

Let's be frank and honest here. Rape is a crime of the worst kind and any kind of sexual harrasment is obviously wrong.

No means no, if someone doesn't want you then you should get the message and not pressure the person. How hard can that be? People in places of power have always been used to getting what they want. They enjoy their power that way.

Culture is shifting, from a male energy dominated one to a more politically correct one. It would be better to see a shift to a culture where women are equals to men power-wise. No one should be above others, not even women even though generally they seem wiser than men. However, with this third wave feminism I'm seeing this victimization trend and if you're against it then you will be nailed to the cross.

Basically what it comes down to is... Don't be an ass. Treat your fellow people with respect.
    Last edited by Wind; 23rd December 2017 at 21:42.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

3(C)+me (29th December 2017), bluestflame (23rd December 2017), Hervé (23rd December 2017), littleOne (13th March 2018), Mike (23rd December 2017)

31. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Tucker who is pretty astute on current affairs does a pretty good piece.....

Tucker: Social media takes aim at Matt Damon

Published on 22 Dec 2017
    Because a handful of Twitter users don't like his comments,
    the rest of us have to pretend that Matt Damon is somehow
    guilty of something awful.
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 23rd December 2017 at 23:14.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

DNA (27th December 2017), Jayke (23rd December 2017), Mike (23rd December 2017), Spellbound (26th December 2017)

33. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

It seems like there is a war going on in Hollywood - fires and all. The focus is being taken away from the truly evil pedophile ring and other dark activities of the rich and famous. I wonder if these celebs (Dustin Hoffman, Richard Dreyfuss, George Takei - it's a long list) take turns, get paid or draw straws to be in the limelight while nasty activities continue in the shadows. Apparently sealed indictments are in the thousands. But we are distracted by sensational outings and accusations which get everyone taking sides. It's an old game.

This could even be partially a publicity move to plug Ocean's 8. Unless one or all of the women starring in that movie stand up in solidarity with Matt Damon, I for one will boycott the film.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilac For This Post:

3(C)+me (29th December 2017), Cidersomerset (26th December 2017), DNA (27th December 2017), Mike (23rd December 2017)

35. Link to Post #39
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Quote The focus is being taken away from the truly evil pedophile
    ring and other dark activities of the rich and famous.
    Exactly and is why I have not posted much on this so far until
    or if the links to the 'eyes wide shut ' and other satanic ritual
    going's on are exposed by the mainstream....Alex did three
    segments on it last week , they are aprox 8 mins each the rest is adds.

It does not matter if you are religious or not , doing these acts
    on fellow humans is evil....

Davos Group Insider Exposes The Globalist Luciferian Agenda
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dFrUnepTMY
    Published on 21 Dec 2017
    Alex Jones talks with Ted Malloch about the elite members of the
    Democrat party and how they have given themselves over to total evil.

Pt.2..Disgusting Ritual Evil Of The Elite Exposed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aN6HAixDE0
    Published on 21 Dec 2017

Pt.3 Ted Malloch Reveals How To Fight Against The Evil Globalist Agenda
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJzxXqELFg
    Published on 21 Dec 2017
    Alex Jones talks with Ted Malloch about the evils of the globalists but
    the power of good and God are far stronger.
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 27th December 2017 at 01:24.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

DNA (27th December 2017), KiwiElf (27th December 2017), Mike (27th December 2017)

37. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,917 times in 4,329 posts

Quote Posted by Curious77 (here)
    Let's hear from the 16 or more women accusing Trump --

They should be allowed to testify.

But by Trump's own admission he is the "Pussy Grabber" in the White House ...
    who is also running his own war on women since he took office.

Not to mention that he's seemingly dead set on getting a nuclear war going.
    Let's hear from the kids being trafficked to pedophiles via Hillary's "Clinton Foundation".
    You are part of the culture of outrage being spoon fed emotional activation by facebook and the mainstream media.
    While you concern yourself with your little hurt feelings over the most trivial of offenses there are true crimes against humanity taking place.
    How did you like the Hillary and Obama attack on Libya? Please defend it. Please...
    Obama and Hillary created a refugee problem in the middle east and the numbers rival that of the refugees from world war 2. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jan-e...b_5791776.html
    Can you explain the reason why this took place?
    Trump has stopped the bombing, has stopped the invading, he has stopped the wars but of course the democratic party hates him for it.
    Ask yourself why?
    And when did the democratic party become the party FOR WAR?
    I'm just curious.
    Trump is truly a humanitarian and I can't help but to laugh my self silly when folks try and trot Hillary and Obama out as some kind of ethical standard.
    Stop letting facebook and the MSM think for you, start thinking for yourself.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

angelfire (4th January 2018), Cidersomerset (27th December 2017), KiwiElf (27th December 2017), lilac (27th December 2017), Mike (27th December 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast