+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Northern Lights make weird noises, and now we know why

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,371 times in 1,413 posts

Default Northern Lights make weird noises, and now we know why

I recall my mother telling me about the northern lights making noises when I was little. She experienced them for a time when she was in Yellowknife.

The few people I had ever mentioned it to didn't believe me, and I suppose I can see why - the thought of light making sound is kind of silly. But now I'm in the future, science has discovered something underlying Auroras Make Weird Noises, and Now We Know Why.

Quote "Auroral sound is a phenomenon that is dismissed by many people, scientists and otherwise, as originating in the imagination of the observer," says Dirk Lummerzheim, an aurora researcher at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.
    Quote "I think this is the first time that the sounds are not only observed to actually be an acoustic signal—as opposed to something that is manufactured in the human brain, for example, similar to synesthesia—but Doctor Laine also has proposed a physical process that provides a good explanation."

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

avid (20th December 2017), Bob (20th December 2017), enigma3 (20th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (20th December 2017), Hervé (20th December 2017), Nick Matkin (20th December 2017), Noelle (20th December 2017), Sunny-side-up (20th December 2017), tessie999 (20th December 2017), toppy (20th December 2017), Wind (20th December 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

Default Re: Northern Lights make weird noises, and now we know why

Interesting. So if it's a real noise as described, it's time someone recorded it as proof.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

petra (20th December 2017), toppy (20th December 2017)

+ Reply to Thread