Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: President Donald Trump has declared a National Emergency

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 times in 233 posts

Default Re: President Donald Trump has declared a National Emergency

Bang on the money Harley

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Post:

bluestflame (1st January 2018), DNA (29th December 2017), Harley (30th December 2017)

3. Link to Post #42
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Paul, my point is that the sanctions imposed on identified violators are economic. Nowhere in this act is incarceration mentioned. In order to shut down corruption and human trafficking - a noble cause - one would need broad, sweeping and enforceable powers of arrest. It has its origins in the 1917 Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917 ("TWEA"). Yes, seizing assets is a good way to thwart large organizations, but there are simply too many ways for people to be corrupted on the small scale for this to work. How many holes in the dike can be plugged by the actions of too few officials of one (granted very powerful) country? America's financial and military reach is world wide, but not all the corruption and trafficking involves U.S. interests. To claim that the intent is to stop such heinous world wide is a bit of an overreach, even for President Trump.

I see, rather, four tangible targets for this EO, all high on the Republican Party's "to do" list:

1. Hilary Clinton's financial skullduggery, and immigrants, by which I mean illegals from the south (Central and South America) and

2. Muslims, whatever their country of origin. With this EO, Trump has his Muslim ban.

3. Iran

4. North Korea

IF this is strictly enforced, though, I can see one huge problem: what will happen to the trade relationship between the U.S. and China? China's human rights abuses are numerous and well known. How far will this new policy get when it runs up against the second largest economy in the world? I can hear the screaming of the American manufacturers who have plants in China now. On a personal note, for Trump, will be what to do with Russia. Sanctions will probably be restricted to a few oligarchs - those that have fallen out of favour with The Donald's best bud Putin.

In closing, I reiterate my belief on the nature of this EO being financial. The history of the "International Emergency Economic Powers Act" shows it's original intent. This act automatically expires on the anniversary of its implementation, so all presidents are 'encouraged' to declare it every year. Kudos to President Jimmy Carter!

From Wikipedia ...

International Emergency Economic Powers Act

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Great Seal of the United States

Long title An Act with respect to the powers of the President in time of war or national emergency.

Acronyms (colloquial) IEEPA

Enacted by the 95th United States Congress

Effective December 28, 1977

Citations

Public law 95-223
    Statutes at Large 91 Stat. 1625
    Codification
    Titles amended 50 U.S.C.: War and National Defense
    U.S.C. sections created 50 U.S.C. ch. 35 § 1701 et seq.

Legislative history

Introduced in the House as H.R. 7738 by Jonathan B. Bingham (D-NY) on June 13, 1977
    Committee consideration by House Foreign Affairs, Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
    Passed the House on July 12, 1977 (passed)
    Passed the Senate on October 11, 1977 (passed) with amendment
    House agreed to Senate amendment on November 30, 1977 (agreed) with further amendment
    Senate agreed to House amendment on December 7, 1977 (agreed)
    Signed into law by President Jimmy Carter on December 28, 1977

United States Supreme Court cases

Dames & Moore v. Regan

The International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), Title II of Pub.L. 95–223, 91 Stat. 1626, enacted October 28, 1977, is a United States federal law authorizing the President to regulate commerce after declaring a national emergency in response to any unusual and extraordinary threat to the United States which has a foreign source.

The H.R. 7738 legislation was passed by the United States 95th Congressional session and signed by the 39th President of the United States Jimmy E. Carter on December 28, 1977.[1]

In the United States Code, the IEEPA is Title 50, §§1701–1707.[2] The IEEPA authorizes the president to declare the existence of an "unusual and extraordinary threat... to the national security, foreign policy, or economy of the United States" that originates "in whole or substantial part outside the United States."[3] It further authorizes the president, after such a declaration, to block transactions and freeze assets to deal with the threat.[4] In the event of an actual attack on the United States, the president can also confiscate property connected with a country, group, or person that aided in the attack.[5]

The IEEPA falls under the provisions of the National Emergencies Act (NEA), which means that an emergency declared under the act must be renewed annually to remain in effect.

Congress enacted the IEEPA in 1977 to clarify and restrict presidential power during times of declared national emergency under the Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917 ("TWEA"). Under TWEA, starting with Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933, presidents had the power to declare emergencies without limiting their scope or duration, without citing the relevant statutes, and without congressional oversight.[6] The Supreme Court in Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer limited what a president could do in such an emergency, but did not limit the emergency declaration power itself. A 1973 Senate investigation found (in Senate Report 93-549) that four declared emergencies remained in effect: the 1933 banking crisis with respect to the hoarding of gold,[7] a 1950 emergency with respect to the Korean War,[8] a 1970 emergency regarding the postal workers strike, and a 1971 emergency in response to the government's deteriorating economic and fiscal conditions.[9] Congress terminated these emergencies with the National Emergencies Act, and then passed the IEEPA to restore the emergency power in a limited, overseeable form.

Unlike TWEA, IEEPA was drafted to permit presidential emergency declarations only in response to threats originating outside the United States.[10] Beginning with Jimmy Carter in response to the Iran Hostage Crisis, presidents have invoked IEEPA to safeguard U.S. national security interests by freezing or "blocking" assets of belligerent foreign governments,[11] or certain foreign nationals abroad.[12]

IEEPA After 9/11[edit]

Following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, President George W. Bush issued Executive Order 13224 under IEEPA to block the assets of terrorist organizations.[13] The President delegated blocking authority to federal agencies led by the U.S. Treasury. In October 2001, Congress passed the USA PATRIOT Act which, in part, enhanced the IEEPA asset blocking provisions under §1702(a)(1)(B) to permit the blocking of assets during the "pendency of an investigation." This statutory change gave the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control the power to block assets without the need to provide evidence of the blocking subject's wrongdoing nor to permit the blocking subject a chance to effectively respond to the allegations in court.[14] Executing these blocking actions led to a series of legal cases challenging federal authority to indefinitely prevent charitable organizations from accessing their assets held in the United States.[15]

Litigation[edit]
    Notable Cases[edit]
    Dames & Moore v. Regan
    KindHearts for Charitable Humanitarian Development v. Geithner[16]
    IEEPA Violations[edit]

Wikinews has related news: Man arrested for broadcasting Hezbollah television in New York
    In 1983, financier Marc Rich was accused of violating the act by trading in Iranian oil during the Iran hostage crisis. He was one of many people pardoned by President Bill Clinton in his last days in office.[17]

The Department of Justice has brought IEEPA charges against Americans who travelled to Iraq in advance of the 2003 invasion to act as human shields, on the basis that they spent money while in Iraq.

On August 23, 2006, Javed Iqbal was arrested through the U.S. Department of the Treasury with a charge of conspiracy to violate the IEEPA for airing material produced by al-Manar (The Beacon) in New York City during the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict.[18]

On December 16, 2009, it was announced that the U.S. Dept. of Justice reached a settlement with Credit Suisse over accusations that the bank assisted residents of IEEPA sanctioned countries to wire money in violation of the Act from 1995 to 2006. The settlement resulted in Credit Suisse forfeiting $536 million.[19]
    Current subjects of IEEPA emergencies[edit]

As of 2015, the following IEEPA emergencies are active.[20]

Starting year Target country Executive order Basis of emergency Scope

1979 Iran 12170 Iran hostage crisis Property of the government of Iran and its instrumentalities

1994 Worldwide 12938 Proliferation of weapons of mass destruction US-held property of persons that engage in or support proliferation

1995 Iran 12957 Actions and policies of the government Various forms of commerce involving Iran

1995 Middle east 12947 Terrorist violence to disrupt the peace process US-held property of Specially Designated Terrorists committing or supporting such violence

1995 Colombia 12978 Foreign narcotics traffic US-held property of traffickers and their material supporters

1997 Sudan 13067 Actions and policies of the government US-Sudan commerce generally

2001 Western Balkans 13219 Extremist violence and actions that obstruct the Dayton Agreement or UNSC Resolution 1244 US-held property of persons engaged in or providing support for such activities

2001 Worldwide 13222 Expiration of the Export Administration Act Continuation of authority for all regulations previously authorized under the Act

2001 Worldwide 13224 Threat of terrorist attacks on the US and its nationals US-held property of Specially Designated Global Terrorists that commit, threaten to commit or support terrorism, including al-Qaeda

2003 Zimbabwe 13288 Actions and policies of members of the government US-held property of 77 government officials

2003 Iraq 13303 Obstacles to reconstruction US-held property of officials and associates of the Saddam Hussein government, and of persons undermining stabilization efforts with violence. Continued as of May 22, 2017.[21]

2004 Syria 13338 Various aggressive actions of the government US-held property of persons involved in those actions

2006 Belarus 13405 Actions and policies of members of the government US-held property of government officials and other persons involved in human rights abuses

2006 Democratic Republic of the Congo 13413 Violence and atrocities that threaten regional stability US-held property of persons contributing to said violence

2007 Lebanon 13441 Actions to undermine the government Various forms of commerce involving persons engaged in such actions

2008 North Korea 13466 Actions and policies of the government Various forms of commerce involving North Korea and its nationals

2010 Somalia 13536 Deterioration of the security situation US-held property of persons that threaten the peace, security, or stability of Somalia

2011 Libya 13566 Extreme measures taken during the Libyan Civil War US-held property of officials and associates of the Muammar Gaddafi government

2011 Worldwide 13581 Activities of transnational criminal organizations US-held property of persons involved in such organizations

2012 Yemen 13611 Actions and policies that threaten the peace, security, or stability of Yemen US-held property of persons engaged in such actions. Continued as of May 16th, 2017.[22]

2014 Ukraine and Russia 13660 Actions and policies of persons engaged in the Ukraine crisis US-held property of such persons. Continued as of March 6th, 2017.[23]

2014 Central African Republic 13667 Central African Republic conflict (2012–present) US-held property of persons contributing to the conflict. Continued as of May 12, 2017.[24]

2014 South Sudan 13664 Activities that threaten regional peace, security, or stability US-held property of persons engaged in such activities. Continued as of April 3rd, 2017.[25]

2015 Venezuela 13692 Human rights violations US-held property of persons responsible for such violations. Continued as of March 8th, 2017.[26]

2015 Worldwide 13694 Significant malicious cyber-enabled activities US-held property of persons responsible for or complicit in such activities. Continued as of April 1st, 2017[27]

2015 Burundi 13712 2015 Burundian unrest US-held property of persons engaged in destabilizing activities. Continued as of November 22, 2016.[28]

Past subjects of IEEPA emergencies[edit]

Afghanistan (1999-2002 for harboring al-Qaeda)
    Cτte d'Ivoire (2006-2016 regarding the First Ivorian Civil War)
    Haiti (1991–1994)
    Iraq (1990-2004 for invading Kuwait)
    Kuwait (1990–1991, while occupied by Iraq)
    Liberia (2001-2015 directed against President Charles G. Taylor)
    Libya (1986-2004 for sponsoring terrorism)
    Myanmar (1997-2016 against the policies of the military government)
    Nicaragua (1985-1990 for aggressive activities in Central America)
    Panama (1988-1990 for military coup by Manuel Noriega)
    Russia (2000-2012 to support the Megatons to Megawatts Program)
    Serbia and Montenegro (1992-2003 for sponsoring Serb nationalist groups)
    Sierra Leone (2001-2004 for human rights violations)
    South Africa (1985-1991 for maintaining apartheid)
    UNITA (1993-2003 for interfering with UN peacekeeping efforts)

Much as everyone would like to wave a magic wand and put all the perps away, I'm afraid that this EO falls far short of being able to accomplish this end.

B.
    Last edited by Fellow Aspirant; 1st January 2018 at 15:10.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

BMJ (8th March 2018), Flash (1st January 2018), Foxie Loxie (29th December 2017), gaiagirl (1st January 2018), ramus (1st January 2018), Satori (29th December 2017), TargeT (2nd January 2018)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

WHEW!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (30th December 2017)

7. Link to Post #44
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Forgive my ignorance please, I’m trying to absorb all of this.

I haven’t followed the history of executive orders, does anyone remember if previous presidents have issued an executive order of similar title? If so, were the same people and companies listed on it?

I wonder if any of those folks are associated with the rothschilds or Clinton’s.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

gaiagirl (1st January 2018)

9. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

Quote Posted by JoefromtheCarolinas (here)

I haven’t followed the history of executive orders, does anyone remember if previous presidents have issued an executive order of similar title? If so, were the same people and companies listed on it?

I wonder if any of those folks are associated with the rothschilds or Clinton’s.
    Hi Joe

I think that a good place to start would be to read my last post, found two spots above yours, which gives extensive details of just such concerns.

B.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

BMJ (8th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st January 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (1st January 2018), TargeT (2nd January 2018), Valerie Villars (1st January 2018)

11. Link to Post #46
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

This is a GOOD place to be, Joe! One can learn SO MUCH.....I know I have!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

BMJ (8th March 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (1st January 2018), pyrangello (5th January 2018), TargeT (2nd January 2018), ThePythonicCow (2nd January 2018)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Fellow Aspirant (here)
    Quote Posted by JoefromtheCarolinas (here)

Hi Joe

I think that a good place to start would be to read my last post, found two spots above yours, which gives extensive details of just such concerns.

B.
    Thank you B. You’ve nicely detailed the history of the emergency powers act, cuz this human rights abuse EO falls under it. This is so informative and I appreciate you directing me to it. I

n the list you posted, the only human rights violation was 13692 for Venezuela in 2015.

So based on your research it appears that this EO by trump applies a much broader and extensive list of human rights abuses, more than any other prior executive order by any other president.
    Last edited by Joe from the Carolinas; 1st January 2018 at 18:35.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

BMJ (8th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st January 2018), TargeT (2nd January 2018), ThePythonicCow (2nd January 2018)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    This is a GOOD place to be, Joe! One can learn SO MUCH.....I know I have!
    I know Foxie, I love it! It’s like a university level of education

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

BMJ (8th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st January 2018), Harley (1st January 2018), TargeT (2nd January 2018), ThePythonicCow (2nd January 2018)

17. Link to Post #49
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Here are more bad actors across the globe:

There are many on the SDN list ,"Specially Designated Nationals" this comes from the treasury web site

https://www.treasury.gov/ofac/downloads/sdnlist.pdf There are 1074 pages of them

[Collectively, such individuals and companies are called "Specially Designated Nationals" or "SDNs." Their assets are blocked and U.S. persons are generally prohibited from dealing with them. Click here for more information on Treasury's Sanctions Programs.]

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

BMJ (8th March 2018), Fellow Aspirant (4th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (2nd January 2018)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ramus (here)

There are many on the SDN list ,"Specially Designated Nationals" this comes from the treasury web site

https://www.treasury.gov/ofac/downloads/sdnlist.pdf There are 1074 pages of them

[Collectively, such individuals and companies are called "Specially Designated Nationals" or "SDNs." Their assets are blocked and U.S. persons are generally prohibited from dealing with them. Click here for more information on Treasury's Sanctions Programs.]
    Yes, Ramus, this is a good portal into the little known workings of the U.S. sanctions programs. They do a good job (with the right targets - not always true, unfortunately) of keeping certain people and organizations and states from making money in America. They also do a huge job of keeping undesireables like terrorists out of the country. However, the same problem exists for the other sanctions that we have been looking at. That is, there are no provisions for arresting these folk, unless they flaunt both the sanctions and try to enter the U.S. And although the list of forbidden persons is extensive, running to 1074 pages, as you note, it's pretty bloated with the repetitions of aliases (one of them has over 250 named entries for her alone). By far the list is concerned with terrorists, which is a good thing, but as far as human trafficking goes, almost devoid of them.

The history of human rights abusers getting onto the lists shows little progress, so far. Here are some of Barrack Obama's "picks" ...

33. ^ Jump up to:a b Obama, Barack (April 22, 2012). "Executive Order 13606 – Blocking the Property and Suspending Entry Into the United States of Certain Persons With Respect to Grave Human Rights Abuses by the Governments of Iran and Syria via Information Technology"(pdf). Federal register. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office (published April 24, 2012). 77 (79). Retrieved November 12, 2015.

34. Jump up^ Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act of 2012, PL 112-239

35. Jump up^ Obama, Barack (September 28, 2010). "Executive Order 13553 – Blocking Property of Certain Persons With Respect to Serious Human Rights Abuses by the Government of Iran and Taking Certain Other Actions" (pdf). Federal register. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office (published October 10, 2010). 75 (190). Retrieved November 12, 2015.

36. Jump up^ Obama, Barack (October 9, 2012). "Executive Order 13628 – Authorizing the Implementation of Certain Sanctions Set Forth in the Iran Threat Reduction and Syria Human Rights Act of 2012 and Additional Sanctions With Respect to Iran" (pdf). Federal register. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office (published October 12, 2012). 77 (198). Retrieved November 12, 2015.

One would hope that the new initiative by the current President casts a much wider net, but even so, these sanctions are financial, and carry no possibility of incarceration on American soil, unless they are foolish enough to set foot in the U.S.
    The obvious exception to this situation is when someone within the U.S. works to aid a blacklisted company or state to do business with the U.S. If caught, they are in a heap of trouble. Unless of course their country intervenes and gets the problem to 'go away'.

As I mentioned in an earlier post (see above) the targets of these new "Emergency Orders" are most likely to be states and companies that the U.S. has pre-existing issues with, and will be used to punish said targets. If the U.S. were to block commerce with all of the states that have abused human rights, it would simply have no one left to trade with.

So, in summary: big "talk". I await evidence of "the walk".

Here's some further info on the ...

Office of Foreign Assets Control

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List)
    Office of Foreign Assets Control

Agency overview

Formed December 1950

Preceding • Office of Foreign Funds Control
    Headquarters Washington, D.C.

Employees Approximately 200 (2013)[1]

Annual budget $30.9 million (2013)
    Agency executive • John E. Smith, Director (formerly 'acting' and 'Director').[2]

Parent department Department of the Treasury

The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is a financial intelligence and enforcement agency of the U.S. Treasury Department charged with planning and execution of economic and trade sanctions in support of U.S. national security and foreign policy objectives.[3] Under Presidential national emergency powers, OFAC carries out its activities against foreign states as well as a variety of other organizations and individuals, like terrorist groups, deemed to be a threat to U.S. national security.[4]

As a component of the U.S. Treasury Department, OFAC operates under the auspices of the Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence and is primarily composed of intelligence targeters and lawyers. While many of OFAC's targets are broadly set by the White House, most individual cases are developed as a result of investigations by OFAC's Office of Global Targeting (OGT).[5]

Sometimes described as one of the "most powerful yet unknown" government agencies,[5][6] OFAC has been in existence since 1950, and plays an increasingly significant role as a foreign policy lever of the U.S. government.[original research?] The agency is empowered to levy significant penalties against entities that defy its directives, including imposing fines, freezing assets, and barring parties from operating in the U.S. In 2014, OFAC reached a record $963 million settlement with the French bank BNP Paribas, which was a portion of an $8.9 billion penalty imposed in relation to the case as a whole.[7]
    Contents
    [hide]
    • 1History
    • 2Authority and activities
    • 3Sanctions programs
    • 4Specially Designated Nationals List
    o 4.1Criticism
    • 5See also
    • 6References
    • 7External links
    History[edit]

Involvement of the U.S. Department of the Treasury in economic sanctions against foreign states dates to the War of 1812, when Secretary Albert Gallatinadministered sanctions against Great Britain in retaliation for the impressment (harassment) of American sailors.[4][8]

The Division of Foreign Assets Control, the immediate predecessor to OFAC, was established in December 1950. Predecessor agencies of the Division of Foreign Assets Control include Foreign Funds Control, which existed from 1940 to 1947, and the Office of International Finance (1947 to 1950). OFAC's earliest predecessor, Foreign Funds Control, was established by Executive Order 8389 as a unit of the Office of the Secretary of the Treasury on April 10, 1940. The authority to establish Foreign Funds Control was derived from the Trading with the Enemy Act 1917. Among other operations, Foreign Funds Control administered wartime import controls over enemy assets and restrictions on trade with enemy states. It also participated in administering the Proclaimed List of Certain Blocked Nationals, or the "Black List", and took censuses of foreign-owned assets in the United States and American-owned assets abroad. Foreign Funds Control was abolished in 1947, with its functions transferred to the newly established Office of International Finance (OIF). In 1948, OIF activities relating to blocked foreign funds were transferred to the Office of Alien Property, an agency within the Department of Justice.[9]
    The Division of Foreign Assets Control was established in the Office of International Finance by a Treasury Department order in 1950, following the entry of the People's Republic of China into the Korean War; President Harry S. Truman declared a national emergency and blocked all Chinese and North Korean assets subject to U.S. jurisdiction. In addition to blocking Chinese and North Korean assets, the Division administered certain regulations and orders issued under the amended Trading with the Enemy Act.[8]

On October 15, 1962, by a Treasury Department order, the Division of Foreign Assets Control became the Office of Foreign Assets Control.[9]
    John E. Smith served as director in both the Obama[10] and Trump administrations.[2]

Authority and activities[edit]

In addition to the Trading with the Enemy Act and the various national emergencies currently in effect, OFAC derives its authority from a variety of U.S. federal laws regarding embargoes and economic sanctions.[11]

In enforcing economic sanctions, OFAC acts to prevent "prohibited transactions," which are described by OFAC as trade or financial transactions and other dealings in which U.S. persons may not engage unless authorized by OFAC or expressly exempted by statute. OFAC has the authority to grant exemptions to prohibitions on such transactions, either by issuing a general license for certain categories of transactions, or by specific licenses issued on a case-by-case basis.[8] OFAC administers and enforces economic sanctions programs against countries, businesses or groups of individuals, using the blocking of assets and trade restrictions to accomplish foreign policy and national security goals. See United States embargoes for a list of affected countries.

OFAC is headquartered in the Treasury Annex, located on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and Madison Place, N.W., in Washington, D.C.

Under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), the President of the United States is empowered during national emergencies to block the removal of foreign assets under the jurisdiction of the United States. That mandate is then executed by OFAC through issue of regulations that direct financial institutions accordingly.

Between 1994 and 2003, OFAC collected over $8m in violations of the Cuban embargo, against just under $10,000 for terrorism financing violations. It had ten times more agents assigned to tracking financial activities relating to Cuba than to Osama Bin Laden.[12]

As part of its efforts to support the Iraq sanctions, in 2005, OFAC fined Voices in the Wilderness $20,000 for gifting medicine and other humanitarian supplies to Iraqis.[13] In a similar case, OFAC is still attempting to collect (as of 2011) a $10,000 fine, plus interest, against Bert Sacks for bringing medicine to residents of Basra.[14]

In October 2007, a set of Spanish travel agency websites had their domain name access disabled by eNom: the domain names had been on the OFAC blacklist.[15][16] When queried, the United States Treasury referred to a 2004 press release that claimed the company "had helped Americans evade restrictions on travel to Cuba".[15]

In the case of United States v. Banki, on June 5, 2010, a U.S. citizen was convicted of violating the Iran Trade Embargo for failing to request Iranian currency transfer licenses in advance from OFAC. On August 25, 2010, the Iranian American Bar Association announced that it would file an amicus curiaebrief with the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on United States v. Banki.[17] It has also hired lawyers to request further guidance from OFAC on import of goods from Iran.[18]

Appointment as director is not subject to Senate confirmation.[2]
    Sanctions programs[edit]
    This section needs expansionwith: citations and dates for authorizations in table. You can help by adding to it. (November 2015)

As of November 10, 2015, OFAC was administering the following sanctions programs:[19]

Table note: The numbers of individuals, companies, vessels, and aircraft are taken from the SDN List. However, any single entry on that list may be a target of multiple sanctions programs, so summing lines of the table will inflate the true sum due to duplication.
    Tag Last updated Sanctions program Individuals Companies Vessels Aircraft 31 CFR
    CFR date EO
    EO
    [561LIST] Iran Financial – – – – 561[20]

[BALKANS] Balkans related[21]
    229 – – – 588[22]
    13304[23]

[BELARUS] Belarus 208 – – – 548 13405
    [BPI-PA] Patriot Act[24]
    – – – –
    [BPI-SDNTK] Narcotics related[25]
    – – – – 598
    [BURMA] Myanmar related 219 – – – 537 13448 13464
    [CAR] Central African Republic 39 – – – 553
    [COTED] Cτte d'Ivoire 9 – – – 543
    [CUBA] Cuban Assets Control
    220 – 5 – 515
    [CYBER] Computer hacking related – – – – 13694[26]

[DARFUR] Darfur 28 3 – – 546
    [DPRK] North Korea 7 44 20 – 510 13551
    [DPRK2] North Korea related 10 16 – – 13687
    [DRCONGO] Democratic Republic of the Congo 106 27 – – 547
    [EO13622] Iran related 17 6 – – 13622[27]

[EO13645] Iran related 9 10 9 – 13645[28]

[FSE-IR] Iran sanctions evaders 3 2 – – 13608[29]

[FSE-SY] Syria sanctions evaders – – – – 13608[29]

[FSE-WMD] WMD related[30]
    – – – – 13608[29]

[FSE-SDGT] Terrorism related[31]
    – – – – 13608[29]

[FTO] Terrorism related[32]
    – 552 – – 597
    [HRIT-IR] Iran human rights – 26 – – 13606[33]

[HRIT-SY] Syria human rights 2 6 – – 13606[33]

[IFCA] Iran related[34]
    – – – –
    [IFSR] Iranian Financial 239 857 – 60 561
    [IRAN] Iranian Transactions 19 416 175 – 560
    [IRAN-HR] Iran related 54 37 – – 13553[35]

[IRAN-TRA] Iran related 16 45 – – 13628[36]

[IRAQ2] Iraq related 287 84 – – 13315 13350
    [IRAQ3] Iraq related 102 48 – – 13438
    [IRGC] Iranian Financial 112 120 – 38 561
    [ISA] Iran Act 3 17 – – 13574
    [JADE] Myanmar Jade[37]
    – – – –
    [LEBANON] Lebanon 13 – – – 549 13441
    [LIBERIA] Former Liberian Regime of Charles Taylor
    45 70 – – 593
    [LIBYA2] Libya related 134 3 – – 570
    [MAGNIT] Magnitsky Act[38]
    54 – – –
    [NPWMD] WMD related[39]
    211 892 351 76 544
    [NS-ISA] Iran related[40]
    – – – – 13574
    [NS-PLC] Palestinian License[41]
    – – – – 594[42]

[SDGT] Terrorism related[43]
    3015 1963 – 101 594
    [SDNT] Narcotics related[44]
    436 511 – – 536
    [SDNTK] Narcotics related[45]
    2102 1125 5 – 598
    [SDT] Terrorism 63 143 – – 595
    [SOMALIA] Somalia 199 20 – – 551
    [SUDAN] Sudan related – 223 – – 538
    [SOUTH SUDAN] South Sudan – – – – 558 13664
    [SYRIA] Syria related 235 180 10 38 542 13399 13460
    [TCO] Transnational Criminal Organizations 201 41 – – 590 13581[46]

[UKRAINE-EO13660] Ukraine related 193 31 – – 13660[47]

[UKRAINE-EO13661] Ukraine related 95 144 – – 13661[48]

[UKRAINE-EO13662] Ukraine related – – – – 13662[49]

[UKRAINE-EO13685] Ukraine related – 42 – – 13685[50]

[VENEZUELA] Venezuela related 7 – – – 13692[51]

[YEMEN] Yemen 23 – – – 552
    [ZIMBABWE] Zimbabwe 121 119 – – 541[52]
    13391 13469

Specially Designated Nationals List[edit]

OFAC publishes the Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) List, which lists people, organizations and vessels with whom United States citizens and permanent residents are prohibited from doing business.

[8]This list differs from the list maintained pursuant to Section 314(a) of the USA PATRIOT Act.[53]

When an entity or individual is placed on the SDN list it can petition OFAC to reconsider. But, OFAC is not required to remove an individual or entity from the SDN list. Two federal court cases have found the current Treasury/OFAC process to be constitutionally deficient.

In August 2009, a federal court ruling in KindHearts v. Treasury found that Treasury's seizure of KindHearts assets without notice or means of appeal is a violation of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments.[54]
    On September 23, 2011, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court's ruling that procedures used by Treasury to shut down the Al Haramain Islamic Foundation of Oregon in 2004 was unconstitutional. The court said the Fifth Amendment's guarantee of due process requires Treasury to give adequate notice of the reasons it puts a group on the terrorist list, as well as a meaningful opportunity to respond. In addition, the court ruled that freezing the group's assets amounts to a seizure under the Fourth Amendment, so that a court order is required.[55]
    As of October 7, 2015, the SDN List had more than 15,200 entries from 155 countries. Of those, 178 entries were for aircraft and 575 entries were for ships ("vessels"). The remaining 14,467 entries were for designated individuals and organisations.[56] OFAC creates separate entries in the SDN list for each alias of a designee, so the number of entries does not reflect the number of designees.[4]
    Criticism[edit]
    Use of the list has been criticised in the media, when a payment for walking a dog named Dash was stopped while clarification was obtained that there was no relationship to Daesh.[57]
    See also[edit]
    • Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations
    • Anti-money laundering
    • Hawala
    • U.S. sanctions against Iran
    • United States embargoes
    References[edit]
    Last edited by Fellow Aspirant; 5th January 2018 at 01:20.

Albert E.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

bluestflame (5th January 2018), BMJ (8th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th January 2018), ramus (5th January 2018)

21. Link to Post #51
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

In the news
    There is also a major attack going on against Khazarian's speculative Fonde and their operators, the Pentagon source comment.
    >
    > They find that 10 Khazarians, including hedge fund Bridgewater Associates Executive Bruce Steinberg, were "killed in a plane crash in Costa Rica".
    >
    > https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ash/998206001/
    >
    >
    > Former FBI chief James "Comey used to work for Bridgewater, but that could be a message to shadow bankers and their investors," they add.
    >
    > Attacks on hedge funds and Israeli dirty money continue when former Och Ziff executive director Michael Cohen was charged with fraud in Africa and linked to sanctioned Israeli billionaire Dan Gertler, "the sources said.
    >
    > Here is that name again on Donald Trumps annex list of THE NATIONAL EMERGENCY
    >
    > #3. Dan Gertler; DOB December 23, 1973; nationality, Israel; alt. nationality, Democratic Republic of the Congo
    >
    >

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

BMJ (8th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th January 2018)

23. Link to Post #52
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, find that the prevalence and severity of human rights abuse and corruption that have their source, in whole or in substantial part, outside the United States, such as those committed or directed by persons listed in the Annex to this order, have reached such scope and gravity that they threaten the stability of international political and economic systems.

Human rights abuse and corruption undermine the values that form an essential foundation of stable, secure, and functioning societies; have devastating impacts on individuals; weaken democratic institutions; degrade the rule of law; perpetuate violent conflicts; facilitate the activities of dangerous persons; and undermine economic markets. The United States seeks to impose tangible and significant consequences on those who commit serious human rights abuse or engage in corruption, as well as to protect the financial system of the United States from abuse by these same persons.

I therefore determine that serious human rights abuse and corruption around the world constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States, and I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.treasury.gov/ofac/downloads/sdnlist.pdf

Here is the continuing list of bad actors now 1108 pages of them, as Trump's decoration of a National Emergency grows larger. This started

Dec 21 2017.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FELLOW ASPIRANT stated:

Yes, Ramus, this is a good portal into the little known workings of the U.S. sanctions programs. They do a good job (with the right targets - not always true, unfortunately) of keeping certain people and organizations and states from making money in America. They also do a huge job of keeping undesirables like terrorists out of the country. However, the same problem exists for the other sanctions that we have been looking at. That is, there are no provisions for arresting these folk, unless they flaunt both the sanctions and try to enter the U.S. And although the list of forbidden persons is extensive, running to 1074 pages, as you note, it's pretty bloated with the repetitions of aliases (one of them has over 250 named entries for her alone). By far the list is concerned with terrorists, which is a good thing, but as far as human trafficking goes, almost devoid of them.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lets hope this leads to something besides a long list

https://www.treasury.gov/ofac/downloads/sdnlist.pdf

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

BMJ (8th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3