+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 5 15

Thread: Water Fasting

1. Link to Post #281
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member TargeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,691 times in 6,678 posts

Default Re: Water Fasting

I've been on a month long binge of catered training sessions (majority of what was offered was sugar based, with carbs to back it...... I almost wonder if studies were done on this, surely it turns out a satisfied student when they are fed sugars and carbs every 1.5 hrs.......), My sisters wedding, then more catered training sessions followed by an 8 meal (ok, mostly appetizers) a day 5 day visit in NY city(first time there, went tourist crazy).

I've definitely gained back some of what I lost.. I will weigh in Tuesday and as of tomorrow am starting another water fast, I think I'll shoot for a full 30 days this time; the results from my last attempts were amazing. I recognize that it is a trial (and it is uncomfortable at times), it is not the "easy button" to weight loss that is looked for commonly, but the results...... I'm mentally so much more confident (probably a sad indicator of my mental health)), but with what losses that even now I have maintained, it excites and motivates me for the next fast.

Plus, I am studying for a couple of very difficult technical certifications from SANS and think the high ketosis levels will greatly effect my mental efforts (an unexpected effect from my last round, more mental clarity and over all energy).
    There was a 1: 400,000,000,000,000 chance of you being born: what have you done with your miraculous life today?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd September 2018), drneglector (3rd September 2018), Michelle Marie (3rd September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), Paul (3rd September 2018), Reinhard (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), Sunny-side-up (3rd September 2018)

3. Link to Post #282
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,044 times in 1,152 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Distilled water can be dangerous, it lacks all minerals & will deplete your body of minerals faster...
    I'd rephrase that to say that exclusively distilled water for 35 days is dangerous.

The key point of a fast, as best I can currently figure, is to remove the sources of energy (carbs, proteins and fats) and of toxins from the diet, so that the body instead works off stored energy supplies in the body, which after perhaps a few hours of working down the excess glucose stores, soon turns to the fat stores. Fat is also a key way that the body sequesters various toxins that it can't find a better way to excrete or neutralize.

If one's body is particularly "toxic", due to consumption of or exposure to too many toxins, for a long time, then the initial toxic burden from dumping into the blood stream and liver the toxins freed up from burning fat can be itself be a sickening challenge. I'd start off with a shorter fast, if that might be my situation. Once one's live and kidney are stronger (perhaps after some shorter fasts, perhaps after a liver flush series, and perhaps after reducing the toxic burden in one's diet and surrounds) then one can more easily handle the toxic burden of a longer fast.

However one still needs some things on a regular, more or less daily, basis, including especially the major minerals (sodium, potassium, magnesium, ...) and of course water. A continued source of the major vitamins A, various B, C, D, ... especially the more rapidly used up water soluble vitamins, is also a good idea.

If one is already seriously short of a key mineral, say magnesium, then a month of distilled water, without some compensating mineral supplementation, could lead to cardiac arrest or some other such life threatening condition ... thus reasonably called "dangerous".

Paul, you have a lot of knowledge about fasting. I recently heard of the "fast mimicking diet" call Prolon. It is a prepackaged (pricey) food diet that is supposed to give you the same results as a 5 day water fast. I can't find any analysis of it. What do you think?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterpam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd September 2018), Michelle Marie (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018)

5. Link to Post #283
    United States Administrator Paul's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 119,017 times in 19,360 posts

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    Paul, you have a lot of knowledge about fasting. I recently heard of the "fast mimicking diet" call Prolon. It is a prepackaged (pricey) food diet that is supposed to give you the same results as a 5 day water fast. I can't find any analysis of it. What do you think?
    Good grief - according to this site, https://pressreleases.responsesource...imicking-diet/, Prolon costs £225 (for 5 small boxes, one per day.)

I suppose Prolon doesn't list their ingredients in detail because then you'd realize you could get the ingredients for a "Prolon mimicking diet" for a tenth that cost at the local market.

I doubt that they get much repeat business, which means that I doubt that many people are using Prolon repeatedly, over the years, as part of a long term improvement in their health and diet.

===

P.S. -- On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that many of those who do purchase Prolon follow through, one or two times, with more or less the entire five day regime, and do notice some of the benefits that can be gained from a water fast of similar length. Most of us, when we put down a couple hundred quid for some health or exercise food, machine, or club plan, tend to follow through for at least a few days, before wandering off if it doesn't suit us a longer term habit.
    Last edited by Paul; 3rd September 2018 at 17:26.
    *** Avalon Forum Guidelines - Membership Guidelines.
    *** ProjectAvalonStatus.net - Check here for forum status.
    Formerly known as "ThePythonicCow", aka "Cow", "Mooster", ...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd September 2018), Michelle Marie (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018)

7. Link to Post #284
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,855 times in 2,584 posts

I like the financial benefits of plain water fasting. No grocery expenditures for a few days.

$$$...That's a PLUS!!!...$$$

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd September 2018), Paul (3rd September 2018), Reinhard (4th September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018)

9. Link to Post #285
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 98,701 times in 11,766 posts

I started with a quick scan of the reviews beginning with the 1s & 2s to know it’s not for me.

"The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight," by Valter Longo, PhD., January, 2018

Reviews:
    • I bought this book because I thought it would teach me how to do the “Fasting -Mimicking Diet”. Instead it is a 300 page advertisement for ProLon FMD that cost $249.

• I quote from the book:

“For safety and efficacy, it is strongly recommended that patients do the ProLon FMD and not a “home-made” version."

Save your money on the book and if you want to do the “Fasting -Mimicking Diet” go to the ProLon website and they will be glad to take your money.

• I learned a lot about why the author thinks I should buy his product ProLon, along with the typical legal disclaimers.

• If you are looking for information on how to actually do a 5 day fasting-mimicking diet, do NOT buy this book. All the explanation on why you should do it is in here, but how to do it is not. The advice is basically "see a professional or go to a website and pay for the instructions." Apparently we common people are not capable of restricting our calories for 5 days on our own?

• I was disappointed by this book. I look for books that I can give to my patients in my clinic and unfortunately this will not be one of them. He does push his product Prolon a fair amount in the book.

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    Good grief - according to this site, https://pressreleases.responsesource...imicking-diet/, Prolon costs £225 (for 5 small boxes, one per day.)

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd September 2018), Michelle Marie (3rd September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), Paul (3rd September 2018), Reinhard (4th September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 5 15