+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 10 20 22 LastLast

Thread: Water Fasting

1. Link to Post #181
    Great Britain Avalon Member Flyswim's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Water Fasting

Quote What was also VERY interesting for me is that I tested my LDL cholesterol a couple of days after ending the fast. It'd dropped by 15% in just over a week.
    That's a great result, Bill. I wonder if it will stay that way after a period of re-feeding? I had a full blood test a few days after my 40 Day Fast and my Red and White blood count, potassium, and sodium levels (as well as other measurements) were excellent. The only one that was low was the Serum Urea level. My Doctor said a low reading was not a worry and that it could be due to a lack of protein in my diet. I shall get re-tested in a couple of weeks and see if re-feeding produces a different result. I am now eating white fish as well as vegetables and grains and even had a piece of Roast Beef this week

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th April 2018), jc71 (28th April 2018), Michelle Marie (26th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), Rosco1 (2nd August 2019)

3. Link to Post #182
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

Just starting Day 2. I slept a lot during the day on Day 1... Very unusual.

Day 2 is great so far. I have energy and a "to do" list. I've already created and printed flyers for my next event, as well as some digital message posters (just a hobby, but will be used in presentations).

My morning meditation felt good. That seems to clean me out in a way, too. I also feel peaceful and centered, as well as focused. I'm looking forward to a great day.

It's sunny! I'm also looking forward to a bike ride.

Great inspirational posts/information. Thanks, everyone!

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th April 2018), Eva2 (26th April 2018), Flyswim (27th April 2018), jc71 (28th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), Valerie Villars (5th May 2018)

5. Link to Post #183
    Thanks

I'm on day 4 and feeling fine!

There was one small period of time when I had a slight headache just when I woke up, but it didn't last long. I'm staying hydrated, and I had a cup of green tea yesterday.

Tomorrow I may try to have some coffee. I had told a friend I would go up the mountain and into the woods and get some spring water. ...and get something to eat, but forgot I was fasting. So, that's my chance to just sit and have a cup of coffee. I told him later that I was fasting, but that I was fine going there anyway. It's on a big deck outside surrounded by trees.

If it's too cold, we will eat inside.

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th April 2018), Flyswim (2nd May 2018), Mark (1st May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), robinr1 (3rd May 2018)

7. Link to Post #184
    Thanks

The trip up the mountain has been delayed. However, I walked to the coffee shop and had my first cup of coffee. I drank the whole thing!... But over 3 hours. I savored it. LOL (Yes, it was cold by the end.)

Day 5
    Almost halfway through.
    I don't have any unusual symptoms to report.
    I just feel great.

MM

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2018), Blacklight43 (29th April 2018), Eva2 (30th April 2018), Flyswim (2nd May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), robinr1 (3rd May 2018), selinam (30th April 2018)

9. Link to Post #185
    Thanks

Day 7

I slept in today and I had a lot of crazy dreams. I usually don't dream that much. In one of my dreams someone gave me a bite of a candy bar (which I don't normally eat), and right after I had it (in the dream) I remembered I was fasting and thought, Oh darn! I wrecked my fast!

When I woke up I was glad it was only a dream!!!

It seems to me that the dreaming could be clearing some deep issues in my subconscious. I'm watching my thoughts and being grateful. I'm focusing on intentions for health and other intentions. Sometimes when I do that, I do tend to need more sleep. I figure that it is reprogramming my inner operating system, and that is intentional.

My car is still not working. I'm just in surrender and know it will get fixed in due time. It tells me that I can slow down and take it easy during this fast and allow the healing to take place. Acceptance, surrender, and gratitude are attitudes I'd like to retain permanently, but it takes practice. It is not yet automatic.

Our weather was rather cold and yucky the last few days, but today it will start to get better and get up into the 60s. The rest of the week will be even warmer and sunnier. That makes it so nice to be able to get outside and get fresh air and sunshine. ...and exercise.

Today and 3 more days...it is the longest fast I've ever done.
    MM

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st May 2018), Flyswim (2nd May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), robinr1 (3rd May 2018), selinam (3rd May 2018)

11. Link to Post #186
    Thanks

Day 8

I felt something different. It was when I was in bed, so that's kind of weird. I felt sort of light-headed or maybe a little dizzy when I moved around. I felt fine after I got up.

Just went for a long walk in the sunshine! It aggravated my ankle. It got sore and swollen again. I thought fasting would heal it right up. It did seem better before the walk.

This is twice as long as I've ever fasted. It's not that I'm hungry, but I like the taste of food! I made plans to go out to eat on Saturday evening. I'm just going to have a salad, because I'm not going to eat heavy food coming off from a fast. I bet it will be the best salad I've ever had in my life!!! LOL

MM

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th May 2018), Flyswim (4th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), robinr1 (3rd May 2018), Rosco1 (2nd August 2019), selinam (3rd May 2018)

13. Link to Post #187
    Thanks

Day 9 eve

Yeah! Tomorrow is the last day.

Today I went shopping and stocked up on food for Saturday morning. Grapefruit, celery, bananas, hummus, broccoli, dolmas. I'm really looking forward to eating.

Counting down...!

MM

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th May 2018), Daozen (4th May 2018), Eva2 (4th May 2018), Flyswim (4th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

15. Link to Post #188
    Thanks

Quote It seems to me that the dreaming could be clearing some deep issues in my subconscious. I'm watching my thoughts and being grateful. I'm focusing on intentions for health and other intentions. Sometimes when I do that, I do tend to need more sleep. I figure that it is reprogramming my inner operating system, and that is intentional.

My car is still not working. I'm just in surrender and know it will get fixed in due time. It tells me that I can slow down and take it easy during this fast and allow the healing to take place. Acceptance, surrender, and gratitude are attitudes I'd like to retain permanently, but it takes practice. It is not yet automatic.
    Brilliant Michelle! I completely relate to your comment about clearing deep issues in the subconscious My 'healing crisis' is on-going and multi-layered despite the fact that I am no longer Fasting; it's as if an ON button has been activated. My recent extended FastS stirred up some deep (trapped?) memories and emotions and I am still dealing with them. As Maya Angelou says, 'to remember is very difficult' (1.23 minutes):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rfx7r?

Keep on keeping on! I'm sure all of us are cheering you on in the background
    Last edited by Flyswim; 5th May 2018 at 07:59.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th May 2018), Michelle Marie (4th May 2018), Nasu (9th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

17. Link to Post #189
    Thanks

Day 10

The information on this thread is so very helpful. In this post from Running Deer, the day 8 - 10 effects help to explain what I have been feeling today, and what is healing.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1198183

Running Deer is always a SO helpful. She's so dear, maybe her name could be thought of as "Running Dear"!

Today my lower back was sore or very uncomfortable. I kept wanting to stretch multiple times to feel better. That section mentioned healing old injuries. I remember my back being sore after several physically straining moving experiences. It is healing now!

Flyswim, thanks for your input. It's good to note that fasting can turn processes on, and that they stay on after the fast is over. That resonates very well.

Today I got some sun and walked barefoot in the grass. I had a cup of green tea. .

I'm grateful to everyone for the team support and education on this issue.

MM
    Last edited by Michelle Marie; 4th May 2018 at 21:10.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th May 2018), Daozen (7th May 2018), Flyswim (5th May 2018), Nasu (9th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), RunningDeer (4th May 2018)

19. Link to Post #190
    Thanks

Well, I made it through that fast with a ton of determination! 4 days before it ended, I started thinking about food a lot. 2 days before it ended I bought some.

I always feel like eating raw food after a fast, and more raw food in general.

It was only just after midnight that I broke my fast. (I was up watching movies.) I had a cup of miso soup. Then, I had celery sticks and hummus, a few kalamata olives, and half a dolma.

This morning I squeezed some fresh grapefruit juice. Later, I had a banana. Then, for lunch, I had more celery sticks and hummus, a few more kalamata olives, and the other half of the dolma. The celery sticks and hummus really appeal to my body, and so I looked up the benefits of celery. Here is what I found...

Health benefits of celery
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...of-celery.html

Wow! No wonder my body wants celery!! Hummus also has its benefits.
    I'm probably going to continue eating a lot of celery and hummus.

My next fast will be in June. Most likely for 3 days. It will seem like a cinch after this one.

Flyswim, I don't know how you did it!! You are a fasting hero.

Who is fasting next?

MM

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th May 2018), Daozen (7th May 2018), Eva2 (6th May 2018), Flyswim (9th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), selinam (5th August 2021)

21. Link to Post #191
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,092 times in 20,639 posts

Hydration Is About More Than Just Drinking Water — How to Hydrate at the Cellular Level to Improve Health and Longevity
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a..._rid=297045421

Quote Story at-a-glance
    Proper hydration is not simply infusing your body with water. More specifically, it’s about getting the water inside your cells. To do that, you need to improve the electrical charges across your cellular membranes
    Water is the ultimate mechanism by which you remove toxins and naturally-produced oxidants from your body. Dehydration raises your risk of disease and death, while being well-hydrated on a cellular level slows down and even reverses biological aging
    Strategies that improve the electrical charge across your membranes include taking terrahydrite humic compounds, reducing EMF exposure, increasing electrolytes and boosting your fiber intake
    In a dehydrated state, you accumulate toxins due to a lack of electrical energy flow. When you add in exposure to wireless technologies that output high amounts of electrical resonance, your already disconnected cells become prone to resonating to the wrong frequency
    Virtually everyone is dehydrated to some extent. Your hydration level can be assessed by measuring your phase angle. A phase angle of 10 is indicative of ideal health, while death occurs around 3.5
    By Dr. Mercola

Dr. Zach Bush is a physician and researcher with a practice in Charlottesville, Virginia. Bush is triple board-certified in internal medicine, endocrinology and metabolism, as well as hospice and palliative care, giving him an unusually broad range of expertise. Before he switched his focus to nutrition and natural medicine, he was a cancer researcher.

In our last interview, we discussed intracellular communication and the importance of soil microbes in the growing of food. Here, our focus is on hydration.

"A lot of our discussion last time was around the gut. There's rising awareness in the medical industry, as well as in the lay public, of the importance of gut health for human health.

However, even though this general correlation has now been largely assumed, if not proven, there remains a disconnect between understanding why gut health is so important and how it impacts so many phases of health and disease. Hydration, this topic we're covering today, is a huge piece of that puzzle," Bush says.

Redefining Hydration
    Your gut is an important part of the hydration cycle. The question is, how do you move water from the intestinal lining into your bloodstream and, more importantly, into your cells? As noted by Bush, when we talk about hydration, we're not simply talking about drinking enough water throughout the day but, more specifically, getting water inside your cells.

"That's two vastly different things," he says. A common recommendation to ensure hydration is to drink water until your urine runs clear. Unfortunately, even most medical professionals are stuck in this simplified mindset. "It's not unusual to put 5 liters of water into somebody's vein in a matter of hours in the operating room or the emergency room,"

Bush says, "And so, we have this huge infusion into the bloodstream, but unfortunately, that does not necessarily translate into water inside the cell. That, as it turns out, is really a crux of what we call the aging process."

About two-thirds of your body is composed of water, and a majority of that water — about 66 to 70 percent — is within your cells and lymph system. With age, your body tends to lose its ability to get water from the vasculature, the extracellular environment, to the inside of your cells. "If we could stay perfectly hydrated in the intracellular environment, our aging would slow down if not reverse," Bush says. The reason is because water is an important mechanism by which you remove toxins and naturally-produced oxidants from your body.

Intracellular Hydration Is Key for Health
    So, the crux is to hydrate your cells, and simply drinking water is not typically the most effective strategy to achieve this. Oftentimes the water you drink will simply be urinated out before it has a chance to get into your cells. And, without proper intracellular hydration, your health suffers. Bush explains:

"The obvious thing around hydration is the inflammatory processes. Chronic inflammation is the accumulation of oxidative compounds within our cells and then, ultimately, within the bloodstream. That is largely the result of a lack of interaction of hydrogen that's within the water system. Water is one of the main carriers of hydrogen. This affects every signaling system in your body, and perhaps most notable, beyond the [cleansing] part, is actual fuel production.

Your cells run on ATP, adenosine triphosphate. ATP is produced by the mitochondria, which look like bacteria, but they live inside your cells. They're about 100 times smaller than bacteria. These mitochondria take the sugar and fat out of your food system and turn that into ATP. They do that through a series of enzymes. The respiratory chain is a series of enzymes in the wall of the mitochondria that is the one that will ultimately result in the production of ATP.

Interestingly, the F1F0 [ATP synthase] pump, a tiny molecular structure at the end of this enzyme pathway, is what will convert one adenosine diphosphate to one molecule of ATP. That last step requires four hydrogens, two oxygens and two electrons …

When you think about the structure of water, which is going to be a combination of two hydrogen [molecules] for every oxygen [molecule], you basically have two H2O molecules, and their concerted electrons are going to be necessary for that last step of fuel production.

The clinical manifestation of aging and inflammation is ultimately one of the loss of fuel production at the mitochondrial level. As you get dehydrated, as you fail to get oxygen and hydrogen in the form of water inside the cell, you lose the ability for those mitochondria to be cranking out all of that energy … used for cellular repair, replacement and the whole anti-aging effort."

Oxygen Derived From Intercellular Water
    In aerobic respiration that occurs in the mitochondria, the ultimate electron acceptor is oxygen. A common belief is that oxygen is derived from the air we breathe. But Bush contends that oxygen is also derived from hydrolysis of intercellular water into hydrogen (H2) and oxygen (O), and that to consistently get the proper ratio of oxygen to hydrogen, you need to liberate the oxygen from the water (H2O).

"[T]he H2 molecule is now recognized to be one of the best selective antioxidants for the hydroxyl free radical. What that means is that the hydroxyl free radical, which is the most noxious to the cell membrane and our ability to do cell maintenance, can be scrubbed or picked up by the H2.

In this way, the water you're drinking is a delivery of both oxygen and hydrogen in a nice ratio where you can release the O's with their electrons. They become O2. They release H's in the form of H2. They become a scrubber of inflammation and substrate for the ATP pump."

According to Bush, all of his patients are dehydrated. Indeed, he believes virtually everyone is dehydrated to some extent. In his clinic, he measures hydration by measuring phase angle. Phase angle is measured in a way similar to that of a whole body bioimpedance that is typically done to measure body fat. It uses electrocardiograph leads placed on your limbs and allows you to measure the electrical resistance to a standardized current running through your body tissues.

How to Measure Your Hydration Level
    For the phase angle, leads are placed on your wrist, finger, ankle and toe. Lying flat, the resistance and reactions across your entire body are measured. This measurement gives you a good ides of your cells' ability to hold an electrical charge and there's a direct correlation between the phase angle and an individual's hydration level.

As explained by Bush, "An electrical charge across the single cell membrane is a very powerful measure of your capacity to intracellularly hydrate, to get water inside of your cells … I've never seen somebody coming in with a health complaint with a phase angle better than 7." In the general public, the angle phase bell curve is between 3.5 and 10. Death tends to happen around 3.5.

"Interestingly, all of our cancer patients tend to come in around 4.5 or below, which is interesting because it suggests, from a hydration standpoint … cancer doesn't happen until you're so dry that you're nearly dead. In this way, cancer is not a disease that pops out of anywhere.

It's simply a lack of water within the cells. You get an accumulation of oxidative damage, which will then do the DNA injury and all of these other things that we think of as being the cancer process … Ideal health is up around 10. Death is around 3.5. Most of us in the U.S. are living between 6 and 8, and those are people in good health."

The Health of Your Cellular Membranes Influences Your Ability to Properly Hydrate
    Bush has done a lot of work on tight junctions — Velcro-like proteins that create macromembranes that hold the cells together. One of the primary tools used to measure the health of these membranes is transepithelial electrical resistance (TEER), an ohmmeter with microscopic filament attachments that allows you to measure both the inside and outside of the membrane, giving you an indication of the resistance across the epithelial layer. Bush explains:

"That epithelial layer is acting as a resistor, if you will, just like the rubber on a copper wire. That plastic or rubber coating on the wire is insulating it so that the electricity stays inside the wire and doesn't short out. In the same way, your macromembranes, the barrier systems of your gut lining, of your blood vessel tree, the blood-brain barrier, all of these create an electrical gradient across them at the macrolevel.

What we've shown, with regard to hydration, is that the higher that electrical charge across that membrane, the more likely you are to pull water across … You've got over a billion cells forming your gut lining. If you just take one of those cells … the electrical charge across that [cell], when you're healthy, when you're up around the phase angle of 10 to 12 … that charge is above 10,000 volts.

Imagine the electrical energy of a lightning bolt being held across a barrier that's just a few microns in space. It defies our normal understanding of Newtonian physics. It's absolutely down in the quantum physics realm that a cell membrane that tiny is able to hold that enormous electrical charge. What builds that electrical charge is ultimately the mitochondria.

We talked about the mitochondria cranking out ATP. In the process of taking glucose or fat and turning it into ATP, the electron transport chain, Krebs cycle — all of these mechanisms of fuel production — create electrons. You're creating this high electrical force within the cell through mitochondrial energy production. That leads to a gradient. A high electrical gradient is going to pull water inside the cell …

[So,] you can't talk about mitochondrial health or mitochondrial production or fuel production without talking about water. Those two are absolutely inseparable …

If you start taking a bunch of supplements but you don't have that electrical charge across the membrane, you can't get the [nutrient] to transit into where it needs to be, because you're lacking all of that intracellular commerce that's being driven primarily by the electrical charge that's driving water that will pull the rest of it with it."

Your Phase Angle Provides a Sense of Your Biological Age
    About a year and a half ago I visited Bush's clinic and had a phase angle test done. To locate a practitioner that can provide this service, see RJL Systems' Locate a Practitioner page.1 At the time, my phase angle was about 5.6. I was quite annoyed because I thought my healthy lifestyle would result in a better reading.

But it motivated me to make some changes and in about nine months I got it up to about 6.4 and more recently it has climbed to 7.0. It's a rather slow process, as it's not influenced by temporary situations but a rather long-term reflection of your biology. According to Bush:

"The phase angle … is the best technique for really developing a sense of biologic age. You went from a 5.6 to a 6.4 over about a nine-month period … So, in just nine months on some very simple interventions, you reversed your age by 10 to 15 years biologically by getting that phase angle up. The chance of you developing a chronic disease, something like cancer, just went dramatically down because you're getting water inside the cell — you're scrubbing the whole system out …

We're all very aware that we have toxin accumulation in our body … But all of our detox efforts are ineffective if we're not getting water inside the cell. With your phase angle going up, now all of your detox efforts are going to be far more potent and effective.

Why is it so slow? It's slow because it's literally showing you the mitochondrial potential in the reservoir of your ability to repair in 70 trillion cells … It's mind-boggling huge numbers. It's one thing to say, 'I improved kidney health today by hydrating,' or, 'I stopped drinking alcohol, so now my liver is healthier.'

We're not talking about a single organ with the phase angle. We're talking about the total global population in your body of 70 trillion cells. How do we affect that and what is it doing? That's where the phase angle is a powerful tool."

Improving Hydration Does Not Require Drinking More Water
    It's important to note that I was able to improve my phase angle without increasing the amount of water I drink. Again, when we're talking about hydration, it's not a matter of just drinking water, because you're likely to just pee the extra water out if you don't have a sufficiently high electrical charge. To actually improve the electrical charge across your membranes, Bush recommends:

• Taking terrahydrite humic compounds such as Restore,2 which helps support your macromembranes, allowing for greater intracellular hydration. Restore also works on the mitochondria to ramp up the reactive oxygen species production in damaged cells, which takes the stress off healthy cells. All of that helps shift the electrical potential of your mitochondria to increase the electrical charge, which allows more water to enter the cells.

• Reducing electromagnetic field (EMF) toxicity. "What is the relationship between hydration and EMF? This is a really cool subject," Bush says. "The tight junction is actually helps maintain … the integrity of the cell-to-cell adhesion, allowing maintenance of the gap junctions that lay behind the tight junction barrier system."

As explained by Bush, you have tens of thousands of gap junctions between one cell and the next cell — tubules that resemble fiber optic cables when viewed under electron microscopy. These gap junctions pass electrical light energy from one cell cytoplasm to the next cell without ever exiting into the extracellular matrix. In other words, a healthy cell population is one concurrent "mass of electrical energy" that can pass through this virtual "electrical circuit board" of the cells.

A number of environmental stressors can damage your gap junction system, including pesticides and other chemicals, EMF, alcohol and drugs such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories. "These compounds are very noxious to the tight junction systems," Bush warns. And, when the gap junctions are disconnected, you end up with a decrease in electrical energy coherence, and a reduction in the frequency resonance between your cells.

In a dehydrated state, you end up accumulating toxins due to a lack of electrical energy flow. When you add in exposure to cellphones, Wi-Fi routers and other wireless technologies that output high amounts of electrical resonance, your already disconnected cells become prone to resonating to the wrong frequency.

"This is one of the critical realities. We cannot talk about tight junction damage or dehydration without mentioning this third toxicity that we're exposed to, which is environmental frequency resonance that's nonhuman," Bush says.

The Importance of Water, Electrolytes and Fiber
    According to Bush, a good rule of thumb for water intake is 1 ounce of water per kilogram of body weight. "So, if you're a 75-kilogram, i.e., about 150- or 165-pound individual, you should be drinking around 70 to 75 ounces of water a day," he says. However, as mentioned, cellular hydration goes beyond the need for water.

You also need to address the electrical charge within your cells. Two important measures were just discussed above (supporting your macromembranes with Restore and reducing EMF exposure). Drinking electrolyte-rich water is also important, as it too helps build electrical charges.

"The classic electrolyte in our American diet is sodium chloride (table salt)" Bush says. "Sodium chloride has a positive charge around the sodium and a negative charge around the chloride. That chloride anion, or negative charge, is one of the mega potentials there for hydration … Of course, there are many other important sources.

For example, potassium chloride is a classic delivery system for chloride. However, potassium chloride can stop the heart at a certain dose. There's a fine line between dose and overdose when it comes to just about anything in nature. But certainly, the electrolytes are one of these … The easy way to titrate your electrolytes is by your bowel movements. If you start to develop loose stools when you're adding electrolytes, you're probably adding a little bit too much electrolyte.

You can get electrolyte powders at any natural food store. Some of them are liquids. Some of them are powders. I don't have a brand preference overall. I would say, think about mixing it up, and see what your body tolerates. Some of the liquid ones are so concentrated that they can cause nausea.

A lot of people will get diarrhea or loose stools on them … Find the dose at which your bowel is tolerating that electrolyte load. It's important to note that you don't only want to drink electrolyte water. You'd want to drink both free water and electrolyte water intermittently throughout the day …

When I'm going through a hydration protocol with my patients, for three days they'll do an intensive hydration protocol where they're drinking 4 ounces every 30 minutes. They'll do that from about 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Then they'll give their body a break. They can pee off what they need to before they go to sleep at 9:30 or 10 p.m. In that 12 hours of intense hydration every 30 minutes, every other [4-ounce dose] has electrolyte in it."

Another important component is fiber. "Fiber is one of the most important mechanisms by which your fruits, vegetables and, ultimately, your body, are going to manage water," Bush says. Fruits and vegetables also contain other valuable micronutrients, including silica, which not only benefits your gut microbiome, but also helps improve hydration inside your cells. An herbal supplement that provides high amounts of organified silica is horsetail. Avoid mineral silica, as it actually promotes oxidation and is very dehydrating.
    Each breath a gift...

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th May 2018), Constance (17th January 2019), Flyswim (9th May 2018), Michelle Marie (6th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

23. Link to Post #192
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Fasting boosts stem cells' regenerative capacity

Anne Trafton MIT News Office
    Thu, 03 May 2018 05:32 UTC

Intestinal stem cells from mice that fasted for 24 hours, at right, produced much more substantial intestinal organoids than stem cells from mice that did not fast, at left. © Maria Mihaylova and Chia-Wei Cheng

As people age, their intestinal stem cells begin to lose their ability to regenerate. These stem cells are the source for all new intestinal cells, so this decline can make it more difficult to recover from gastrointestinal infections or other conditions that affect the intestine.

This age-related loss of stem cell function can be reversed by a 24-hour fast, according to a new study from MIT biologists. The researchers found that fasting dramatically improves stem cells' ability to regenerate, in both aged and young mice.

In fasting mice, cells begin breaking down fatty acids instead of glucose, a change that stimulates the stem cells to become more regenerative. The researchers found that they could also boost regeneration with a molecule that activates the same metabolic switch. Such an intervention could potentially help older people recovering from GI infections or cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, the researchers say.
    "Fasting has many effects in the intestine, which include boosting regeneration as well as potential uses in any type of ailment that impinges on the intestine, such as infections or cancers," says Omer Yilmaz, an MIT assistant professor of biology, a member of the Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, and one of the senior authors of the study.

"Understanding how fasting improves overall health, including the role of adult stem cells in intestinal regeneration, in repair, and in aging, is a fundamental interest of my laboratory."
    David Sabatini, an MIT professor of biology and member of the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and the Koch Institute, is also a senior author of the paper, which appears in the May 3 issue of Cell Stem Cell.
    "This study provided evidence that fasting induces a metabolic switch in the intestinal stem cells, from utilizing carbohydrates to burning fat," Sabatini says.

"Interestingly, switching these cells to fatty acid oxidation enhanced their function significantly. Pharmacological targeting of this pathway may provide a therapeutic opportunity to improve tissue homeostasis in age-associated pathologies."
    The paper's lead authors are Whitehead Institute postdoc Maria Mihaylova and Koch Institute postdoc Chia-Wei Cheng.

Boosting regeneration
    For many decades, scientists have known that low caloric intake is linked with enhanced longevity in humans and other organisms. Yilmaz and his colleagues were interested in exploring how fasting exerts its effects at the molecular level, specifically in the intestine.

Intestinal stem cells are responsible for maintaining the lining of the intestine, which typically renews itself every five days. When an injury or infection occurs, stem cells are key to repairing any damage. As people age, the regenerative abilities of these intestinal stem cells decline, so it takes longer for the intestine to recover.
    "Intestinal stem cells are the workhorses of the intestine that give rise to more stem cells and to all of the various differentiated cell types of the intestine. Notably, during aging, intestinal stem function declines, which impairs the ability of the intestine to repair itself after damage," Yilmaz says.

"In this line of investigation, we focused on understanding how a 24-hour fast enhances the function of young and old intestinal stem cells."
    After mice fasted for 24 hours, the researchers removed intestinal stem cells and grew them in a culture dish, allowing them to determine whether the cells can give rise to "mini-intestines" known as organoids.

The researchers found that stem cells from the fasting mice doubled their regenerative capacity.
    "It was very obvious that fasting had this really immense effect on the ability of intestinal crypts to form more organoids, which is stem-cell-driven," Mihaylova says. "This was something that we saw in both the young mice and the aged mice, and we really wanted to understand the molecular mechanisms driving this."
    Metabolic switch
    Further studies, including sequencing the messenger RNA of stem cells from the mice that fasted, revealed that fasting induces cells to switch from their usual metabolism, which burns carbohydrates such as sugars, to metabolizing fatty acids. This switch occurs through the activation of transcription factors called PPARs, which turn on many genes that are involved in metabolizing fatty acids.

The researchers found that if they turned off this pathway, fasting could no longer boost regeneration. They now plan to study how this metabolic switch provokes stem cells to enhance their regenerative abilities.

They also found that they could reproduce the beneficial effects of fasting by treating mice with a molecule that mimics the effects of PPARs.
    "That was also very surprising," Cheng says.

"Just activating one metabolic pathway is sufficient to reverse certain age phenotypes."
    Jared Rutter, a professor of biochemistry at the University of Utah School of Medicine, described the findings as "interesting and important."
    "This paper shows that fasting causes a metabolic change in the stem cells that reside in this organ and thereby changes their behavior to promote more cell division. In a beautiful set of experiments, the authors subvert the system by causing those metabolic changes without fasting and see similar effects," says Rutter, who was not involved in the research.

"This work fits into a rapidly growing field that is demonstrating that nutrition and metabolism has profound effects on the behavior of cells and this can predispose for human disease."
    The findings suggest that drug treatment could stimulate regeneration without requiring patients to fast, which is difficult for most people. One group that could benefit from such treatment is cancer patients who are receiving chemotherapy, which often harms intestinal cells. It could also benefit older people who experience intestinal infections or other gastrointestinal disorders that can damage the lining of the intestine.

The researchers plan to explore the potential effectiveness of such treatments, and they also hope to study whether fasting affects regenerative abilities in stem cells in other types of tissue.

The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health, the V Foundation, a Sidney Kimmel Scholar Award, a Pew-Stewart Trust Scholar Award, the MIT Stem Cell Initiative through Fondation MIT, the Koch Institute Frontier Research Program through the Kathy and Curt Marble Cancer Research Fund, the American Federation of Aging Research, the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation, the Robert Black Charitable Foundation, a Koch Institute Ludwig Postdoctoral Fellowship, a Glenn/AFAR Breakthroughs in Gerontology Award, and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Related:
    The Health & Wellness Show: Fast-inating Information About Fasting
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th May 2018), Eva2 (7th May 2018), Flyswim (9th May 2018), Kryztian (31st January 2021), Michelle Marie (8th May 2018), Nasu (9th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), selinam (7th May 2018)

25. Link to Post #193
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

For readers who are worrried about losing muscle: Studies seem to show we lose fat before muscle, so 1-2 days fasting are fine, no need to worry about muscle loss. Just to be sure, I did a wheatgerm only fast on Sunday. I ate nothing but a massive bag of wheatgerm at sunset. lol. Wheatgerm is very high in protein. That will help me keep muscle on, while losing weight. I've definitely seen a reduction in fat these past 1-2 days.
    Last edited by Daozen; 8th May 2018 at 06:10.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th May 2018), Flyswim (9th May 2018), Kryztian (31st January 2021), Michelle Marie (8th May 2018), Nasu (9th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), selinam (7th May 2018)

27. Link to Post #194
    Thanks

So, Autophagy and Fasting has hit the mainstream news! As this BBC article on the 6th May says:
    Quote Autophagy is a natural regeneration process that occurs at a cellular level in the body, reducing the likelihood of contracting some diseases as well as prolonging lifespan... It also seems to be beneficial in the context of infection control, as well as protecting against excessive inflammation...Dr Rubinsztein is optimistic about the future benefits of autophagy for treating disease. "We discovered that if you switch on autophagy you remove these proteins rapidly and protect against neurodegenerative diseases like Huntington's and forms of dementia." He hopes that one day there might be drugs available to boost autophagy. Others clearly hope so too. It was recently reported that a new start-up in America, Casma Therapeutics, received $58.5m to look into new drugs to boost autophagy.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44005092

I'm not sure what I think about 'autophagy boosting drugs' but I do intend to start another 5 (to 10) Day Water Fast this Sunday. I have painful Carpal Tunnel in both of my wrists and, although I know I cannot order what my body will use autophagy for, I'd like to see if another Water Fast can reduce some of the inflammation and pain. Regardless, I miss Fasting!

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th May 2018), Michelle Marie (11th May 2018), Nasu (9th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

29. Link to Post #195
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,525 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Flyswim (here)
    So, Autophagy and Fasting has hit the mainstream news! As this BBC article on the 6th May says:
    Quote Autophagy is a natural regeneration process that occurs at a cellular level in the body, reducing the likelihood of contracting some diseases as well as prolonging lifespan... It also seems to be beneficial in the context of infection control, as well as protecting against excessive inflammation...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/health-44005092
    Yep!

Tomorrow I'll be having a molar tooth extracted. Ugh. I'd broken it a few years ago, and it's not in good shape any more.

It was either that or opting for a root canal, and I'm most definitely not doing that. (For anyone who may not know: root canal treatment can be very dangerous. But that's a different topic... do see this thread.)

Apparently I'll be prescribed antibiotics and painkillers, but I won't take those, either. I'd be on liquid food only for a few days, so the solution is simple: another fast, this time specifically to support rapid healing of the wound, to detox quickly from the anesthetic, and to get back to normal immediately.

So it'll be a neat little experiment. Not looking forward to it all that much! But the experience will be very interesting.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 9th May 2018 at 10:16.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Eva2 (9th May 2018), Flyswim (9th May 2018), leavesoftrees (9th May 2018), Michelle Marie (11th May 2018), Nasu (9th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), Rosco1 (2nd August 2019)

31. Link to Post #196
    Thanks

Quote Apparently I'll be prescribed antibiotics and painkillers, but I won't take those, either. I'd be on liquid food only for a few days, so the solution is simple: another fast, this time specifically to support rapid healing of the wound, to detox quickly from the anesthetic, and to get back to normal immediately.

So it'll be a neat little experiment. Not looking forward to it all that much! But the experience will be very interesting.
    Firstly, OUCH! Secondly, Good Luck! Thirdly, Yes ! The reason I want to do another Water Fast (apart from the fact that I miss it!) is that I had Accupuncture last Saturday on my wrists for my ouchy Carpal Tunnel. The pain of the needles going into my left wrist was indescribable and, embarrassingly, I fainted! I woke up to find the Chinese Doctor feeding me sips of water. My left wrist swelled up to a golf ball and I still have some dramatic bruising. I REALLY don't want to go back on strong painkillers so I will Fast again. I'm starting on Sunday as it'll then be exactly 3 weeks since my last Fast. I hope to do at least 5 days to boost autophagy and, thus, healing.

How long do you think you will Fast for, Bill? i.e. What will indicate that it's time to stop?

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th May 2018), Michelle Marie (11th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

33. Link to Post #197
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,525 times in 32,788 posts

How long do you think you will Fast for, Bill? i.e. What will indicate that it's time to stop?
    Just 3-4 days, a short one. Five at the very most.

No more needed than that: just until the wound heals, I'm 100% detoxed (which might only take 24 hours), and there's zero risk of infection or complication from food particles (unlikely, but it can sometimes happen with extractions).

Besides that, my indicators every time to pause and gently resume normal eating are reaching what I feel is my minimum healthy weight, which I think I've got down quite accurately. I track it each time with good scales, and I do think I know my body quite well.

We have to work as a close team. But that's not a joke! Good communication with one's body (which always needs to be informed and consulted, like a knowledgeable intimate partner) is really important.

My very best advice for all: Always be conscious and fully aware, and never do anything by rote or by blindly copying others' experiences.

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Czarek (10th May 2018), Eva2 (9th May 2018), Flyswim (9th May 2018), Michelle Marie (11th May 2018), Nasu (9th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), Rosco1 (2nd August 2019), selinam (9th May 2018), sunwings (9th May 2018), wnlight (14th May 2018)

35. Link to Post #198
    Thanks

Quote I do think I know my body quite well. We have to work as a close team. But that's not a joke! Good communication with one's body (which always needs to be informed and consulted, like a knowledgeable intimate partner) is really important. My very best advice for all: Always be conscious and fully aware, and never do anything by rote or by blindly copying others' experiences.
    I completely agree. Our body is always our best guide and during a Water Fast the body speaks very clearly. As you have stated, it is always wise to consult with our body, and then listen to its responses and act upon its messages.

I wish you well with your upcoming extraction, Bill

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th May 2018), Michelle Marie (11th May 2018), Nasu (9th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), wnlight (14th May 2018)

37. Link to Post #199
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,223 times in 940 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Autophagy is a natural regeneration process that occurs at a cellular level in the body, reducing the likelihood of contracting some diseases as well as prolonging lifespan... It also seems to be beneficial in the context of infection control, as well as protecting against excessive inflammation...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/health-44005092
    Yep!

Tomorrow I'll be having a molar tooth extracted. Ugh. I'd broken it a few years ago, and it's not in good shape any more.

It was either that or opting for a root canal, and I'm most definitely not doing that. (For anyone who may not know: root canal treatment can be very dangerous. But that's a different topic... do see this thread.)

Apparently I'll be prescribed antibiotics and painkillers, but I won't take those, either. I'd be on liquid food only for a few days, so the solution is simple: another fast, this time specifically to support rapid healing of the wound, to detox quickly from the anesthetic, and to get back to normal immediately.

Would you consider a dental implant Bill as a possible long term solution? From personal experience I know it would cost a few bob but it feels very much like having a real tooth and you still have to look after it like you would a normal tooth (brushing, flossing, good diet etc). Just a thought.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th May 2018), Michelle Marie (11th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

39. Link to Post #200
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 times in 638 posts

I came across this on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fasting/com...nce_also_some/

Background
    First extended water fast – 7 days (Sunday to Sunday). Previously I had done hundreds of 24-hour dry fasts and one 48-hour dry fast.

WHY: curiosity, test of will, to reign in my abysmal snacking habits, and I wanted to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL on my sense of hunger. I expected to lose wieght, but gain most of it back, which was fine.

The Fast
    DIET, SUPPLEMENTS: I drank about 3 liters (12 cups, 96oz, 0.75gal) of water a day. In the morning I would take 3/4tsp (4g) of sodium chloride with water. In the evenings I would take 1/4-1/2tsp (2-5g) of potassium chloride with water. I took a bath with 2 cups (500g) of epsom salt for magnesium (got tired of drinking salt water, so made the skin do the work). For sit down meals or social settings, I would drink a pellegrino mineral water. I also chewed probably 60 peices of sugar-free gum...

CIRCUIT BREAKERS: I decided upfront I would stop the fast if I experienced:

vomiting/nausea > 24hrs
    sustained lower blood pressure
    unusual heart rate patterns
    consistently low blood glucose
    diarrhea > 24hrs

Click image for larger version

Name:	fasting.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	37726

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th May 2018), Flyswim (13th May 2018), jc71 (14th May 2018), Michelle Marie (11th May 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 10 20 22 LastLast