1. Link to Post #361
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re: Water Fasting

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote It's day 11 on my dry fast/coconut water fast.
    Wow. Kudos, and most interesting. I'd love to hear about your perceived benefits.
    I'll post the results when I've broken the fast. My main goal is to lower the overall body fat % and continue to stay within the healthy range.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 1st June 2021 at 14:44.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th January 2019), Chip (20th January 2019), Pam (24th March 2019), ThePythonicCow (19th January 2019)

3. Link to Post #362
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,445 times in 21,493 posts

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Keep this in mind: drink water and other fluids until you urinate frequently and with light colour.
    I found this line to be more useful than the specific numbers such as 3 or 2.2 liters, which, as Bill noted, will vary for various reasons.

Once one drinks or consumes enough water, in various forms, to handle the body's metabolic needs, and then to sweat when useful for cooling, then the body uses the remaining water to flush out toxins, mostly through the kidneys and skin. If one's urine has good volume and light color, then the kidneys had enough water to do their filtering and flushing work. (Then of course it helps if it's "healthy" water, as discussed in this thread.)
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th January 2019), Chip (20th January 2019), Pam (24th March 2019), RunningDeer (19th January 2019)

5. Link to Post #363
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,985 times in 463 posts

Keep this in mind: drink water and other fluids until you urinate frequently and with light colour.
    This chart may be useful

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190120_115007.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	39730
    Last edited by Billy; 20th January 2019 at 11:53.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th January 2019), Billy (20th January 2019), Chip (20th January 2019), drneglector (20th January 2019), Pam (24th March 2019), RunningDeer (20th January 2019), ThePythonicCow (20th January 2019)

7. Link to Post #364
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by leavesoftrees (here)
    This chart may be useful
    Yes, it's useful. Thanks, leavesoftrees. Mine matches the top one. The difference is the amount is less than usual which is to be expected with a dry/coconut water fast. It’s day 12 and my water percentage continues to rise.

Conundrum.

1/9/19 - 1/20/19 = 2.1% higher

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th January 2019), Chip (20th January 2019), Hym (22nd January 2019), Pam (24th March 2019)

9. Link to Post #365
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I finished out day 13 without experiencing negative effects beyond slight weakness. The coconut water took care of that and the occasional hunger urges.

I need to put focus on other things. For the last several days the weather has been harsh with temps below zero and brutal wind gusts. The electricity went out for 4 hours and I’ve shoveled snow and sleet. Another storm is expected early next week. From a physiological and an emotional stand point, I need a strong body and mind to move through the unpredictable.

Results: lost 2.1 fat lbs. (0.95 kg), and 9.4 lbs (4.3 kg) weight loss.

Based on the Digital Body Analyzer, my body fat dropped by 2.3 to 25.6%. According to their literature, the normal, healthy range for a woman my age and height it’s 24% - 31%.

If you go by the chart below, for a 55 year old, 26.3% is considered ideal. I’m 13 years older, so a slightly higher % is in the healthy range.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 22nd January 2019 at 02:53.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st January 2019), Chip (22nd January 2019), Hym (22nd January 2019), TargeT (22nd January 2019), ThePythonicCow (22nd January 2019)

11. Link to Post #366
    Spain Deactivated
    Canary Islands overlooking a beach with forest covered mountains behind.
    Thanks

According to the Institute of Medicine, water consumption recommendations vary by gender. Men should consume 3 liters of water each day. While women need to take in 2.2 liters per day.

Why should we believe the Institute of Medicine?

In any case, that's an insane amount of water and maybe only necessary if you eat a lot of crap and have a lot of toxins to flush out.

The whole 'hydrate yourself' campaign was started by the drinks industry and was designed to sell drinks, not keep people healthy.

If you actually feel thirsty, drink. If you don't feel thirsty, don't drink - and stop believing there's a 'correct' amount of fluid you 'should' be taking.

When we start listening to our heads (and the media) instead of our body when it comes to eating and drinking then we've lost the plot...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5th For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2019), Hym (22nd January 2019), petra (22nd January 2019)

13. Link to Post #367
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 5th (here)

In any case, that's an insane amount of water and maybe only necessary if you eat a lot of crap and have a lot of toxins to flush out.

The whole 'hydrate yourself' campaign was started by the drinks industry and was designed to sell drinks, not keep people healthy.

If you actually feel thirsty, drink. If you don't feel thirsty, don't drink - and stop believing there's a 'correct' amount of fluid you 'should' be taking.

When we start listening to our heads (and the media) instead of our body when it comes to eating and drinking then we've lost the plot...
    5th, based on your comment it’s fair to say that you haven’t followed at least the last several pages. I’ll add mine from one page back, and assume your post is directed at newcomers to the thread.

RunningDeer's post 375

{snip}

As mentioned earlier, I dry fasted for 44 hours last April, and for 23 hours within this latest one. Based on the research, one day of a dry fast is equivalent to 3 days of water fast. Whether it’s true or not, who really knows? A dry fast is easier on my body. What trips me up is breaking through the belief that you must have X number of glass of water a day. The other belief that quickly follows is if you don’t feel thirsty means you’re already too dehydrated.

I had the opportunity to attend the Microbiotic Kushi Institute in Switzerland for theory and cooking classes. From my research and training, I learned that too much water depletes the body of nutrients. You get enough from the foods you eat. BUT you do require water to flush out the toxins from a diet of process foods, and food and drink that dehydrate the body and physical labor/workouts. Even though I eat clean, I keep water close by to remind myself to drink.

These are some of the places I researched on dry-fasting:

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (22nd January 2019), Bill Ryan (22nd January 2019), Hym (22nd January 2019)

15. Link to Post #368
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,565 times in 32,794 posts

Quote Posted by 5th (here)
    According to the Institute of Medicine, water consumption recommendations vary by gender. Men should consume 3 liters of water each day. While women need to take in 2.2 liters per day.

I do understand where you're coming from, but as best I know many people in first world countries are dehydrated, for various reasons, and we can't necessarily rely on our thirst reflex any more to keep everything balanced.

Urine color (no formal testing, just see what color it is!) may be a more reliable feedback mechanism.

Of course, the optimum daily water intake will vary from person to person (and, from day to day). We can't prescribe it like you need to measure it all out carefully. And yes, listen to one's body... of course. Many have been repeating that mantra throughout this thread.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (22nd January 2019), Chip (22nd January 2019), Hym (22nd January 2019), Rosco1 (17th August 2019), RunningDeer (22nd January 2019), Yoda (23rd January 2019)

17. Link to Post #369
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,102 times in 20,640 posts

Grow Stem Cells with Fasting
    Mar 12, 2019
    http://www.thehealingmiracle.com/gro...-with-fasting/
    "New research from the University of Southern California has come to light that fasting as little as eight (8) days a year could deliver significant health benefits, especially when it comes to stem cells.

Believe it or not, fasting two to four days at a time (every six months) causes stem cells to awaken from their normal dormant state, and start regenerating.

Essentially, researchers discovered that fasting helped eliminate damaged and older cells, allowing new healthier cells to replace them completely, effectively renewing the immune system.

This is one of the first times any natural intervention has ever been shown to trigger this self-renewal.

Going a bit deeper… In mice and humans, white blood cell counts were significantly lowered after long periods without food. These bodies are vital to the human immune system.

But, when their numbers decline to a critical point, pathways for hematopoietic stem cells were switched on. These cells manage the immune system and generate new blood.

“When you starve, the system tries to save energy, and one of the things it can do to save energy is to recycle a lot of the immune cells that are not needed, especially those that may be damaged,” Valter Longo of the USC Davis School of Gerontology, said.

Fasting for an extended period of time (up to 48 to 96 hours) changes the human body to consume fat reserves, glucose (sugar), and ketones. Unhealthy white blood cells are also broken down, so that in part, their components can be reused for new, thriving cells.

This is considered to be a cell “recycling” of sorts.

After a period of fasting, the body’s immune system will generate new blood cells when nutrients begin flowing back into the body.

The main point of interest in this study at USC, they were committed to knowing what drives body systems to rebuild the cells.

To go further into the science a bit…

The study found that Protein kinase A, an enzyme known to inhibit cell regeneration, was reduced in the systems of people who are fasting. Concentrations of a growth-factor hormone called IGF-1 were also lowered in those who have not eaten in days.

Important note: you will want to be careful if you decide to fast on only water for extended periods of time. To protect yourself, fasting for two to four days at a time should be done under medical supervision.

Another approach to fasting which has produced beneficial results is time restricted eating or “intermittent fasting”. This form of fasting involves eating in an 8 hour window and not eating during the remaining 16 hours.

This could be during a span from noon to 8:00 pm or 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. This time period will be completely up to you, just as long as you limit your intake to a single eight hour duration.

You’re not limited to the amount of water, and intermittent fasting is growing in popularity but is still considered a “secret” in the stem cell community.

Fasting has been a widely used approach for generations — going back to early civilization, but either as a survival, ritualistic, or weight loss tactic.

But now, we have the research to support that fasting is an incredibly powerful stem cell boosting “secret” that can return powerful results.

After this study (and others) surfaced, we became inspired to see what other natural alternative “secrets” are out there."
    Each breath a gift...

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Alan (16th March 2019), Bill Ryan (13th March 2019), Constance (14th March 2019), Flash (23rd March 2019), Innocent Warrior (13th March 2019), RunningDeer (13th March 2019)

19. Link to Post #370
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,102 times in 20,640 posts

A safe and effective way to detox aluminum, scientist reports
    https://www.naturalhealth365.com/eff...inum-2910.html
    by: Lori Alton, staff writer | March 18, 2019

"(NaturalHealth365) Truth be told, the presence of aluminum in the environment is nothing new. This naturally-occurring metal is the third most prevalent element on the planet. But, to be clear: aluminum has no biological value inside the human body – which makes the demand for an effective way to detox more important than most people can imagine.

No doubt, the modern ‘abundance’ of aluminum in processed foods, cookware, food storage wraps and medications has raised concerns among many integrative healthcare providers – who view the accumulated toxicity of aluminum to be a contributing factor to the rising rates of autism and Alzheimer’s disease.

Now, a study highlights the ability of silicon-rich mineral water to safely decrease levels of aluminum in the body. Even more encouragingly, consumption of this kind of water was associated with improvements in cognition among individuals with Alzheimer’s disease.

Why an effective way to detox aluminum is so important
    To repeat the undeniable truth: aluminum – which has no nutritional value and serves no purpose in the human body – can enter the system through ingestion, inhalation or absorption. This unwanted metal then accumulates in the lungs, liver, thyroid, bone and brain – where it can cause harmful oxidative stress in tissues and cells.

One of the primary reasons for the alarm over aluminum is that autopsies of patients with Alzheimer’s disease have shown elevated levels of inflammation-causing aluminum in the brain.

And, animal studies have shown that increased aluminum accumulation is associated with the formation of neurofibrillary tangles associated with Alzheimer’s disease.

Did you know? The liver is the most important detoxifying organ in the body. When the liver can’t effectively neutralize and dispose of toxins, they accumulate in the body. Two essential nutrients for healthy liver function are milk thistle and glutathione. These two ingredients - plus much more – are now available in an advanced liver support formula. Click here to learn more.

Note: animal studies have shown that aluminum is associated with problems with learning, cognition, memory and coordination in non-aged animals as well.

In addition, some research suggests that aluminum inhibits the uptake of important neurotransmitters – such as dopamine, norepinephrine and 5-hydroxytryptamine – needed for restful sleep, stable mood, cognition and alertness.

Aluminum associated with many other health problems – including NAFLD
    Aluminum toxicity can play havoc with a wide variety of body systems – and lead to many chronic disease conditions.

Because aluminum interferes with the metabolism of iron, chronic exposure can cause anemia.

Aluminum toxicity can also cause or worsen nonalcoholic fatty liver disease – which is currently approaching epidemic proportions in the industrialized world. And, aluminum toxicity has been associated with kidney damage – as well as with increased risk of multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS.

According to Analytical Research Labs, Inc., the prevalence of aluminum toxicity has soared recently, with 80 percent of individuals tested for metal toxicity displaying excessively high levels of aluminum in hair samples.

Note: hair samples are generally considered as among the most reliable ways of evaluating metal toxicity – as long as hair has not been washed at the laboratory prior to testing.

Early symptoms of aluminum toxicity include headaches, colic, dry skin, heartburn, flatulence and increased susceptibility to respiratory infections.

According to ARL, more advanced symptoms of aluminum toxicity can involve memory loss, confusion and paralytic muscular conditions.

Study reveals: Just three months of drinking a ‘special kind’ of water yields encouraging results
    In a study conducted by Professor Christopher Exley, PhD and published in Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, volunteers with Alzheimer’s disease drank a liter of silicon-rich mineral water a day for twelve weeks. (Silicon is a naturally-occurring metalloid element that appears in foods such as Bell peppers, soybeans and asparagus. It is also present in mineral water).

And the results were impressive.

Dr. Exley – a professor of Bioinorganic Chemistry at Keele University – reported that the consumption of the mineral water led to decreases of up to 70 percent in the volunteers’ body burden of aluminum.

And, drinking the silicon-rich water for 12 weeks produced significant, clinically relevant improvements in cognitive functioning among some of the participants – with no reported side effects.

Dr. Exley explained that the soluble silicon found in mineral water follows water molecules through the intestinal walls and into the bloodstream, where it then combines with aluminum to form a compound called hydroxyaluminosilicate.

This substance is more easily filtered from the blood than aluminum is, causing more efficient excretion via the kidneys and urine.

This exciting research suggests that drinking a liter a day of silicon-rich mineral water is a safe, inexpensive and effective natural method of accelerating the removal of aluminum from the body.

Dr. Exley advises both the Fiji and Volvic brands as containing optimal amounts of silicon. (Check the label to make sure the brand contains a minimum concentration of 30 mg/L, or 30 ppm, of silica.)

Health tip: For maximum benefit, opt for unsweetened, unflavored varieties of mineral water.

Incidentally, Dr. Exley is not the only health expert to advise using silicon or silica formulations to detoxify aluminum.

Christine Schaffner, ND, a board-certified naturopathic physician and noted aluminum toxicity expert, also recommends Enterosgel, a silica-based binder, to reduce the body burden of aluminum.

Reduce aluminum exposure with common-sense choices
    While it is impossible to avoid all aluminum, you can reduce your exposure significantly.

Simple steps include bypassing the use of aluminum cookware, aluminum foil wrapping and aluminum cans – especially when it comes to acidic foods and beverages. Experts warn that cooking tomatoes in an aluminum pan, or sipping juice from a can, could lead, over time, to aluminum toxicity in susceptible individuals.

Carefully checking labels of health and beauty products can help you detect aluminum in unexpected places.

For instance, aluminum is found in antiperspirants, in the form of aluminum chlorhydrate.

Aluminum is also in commercial antacids such as Rolaids, Maalox and Mylanta. (Note: the Tums brand, however, is free of aluminum).

Even if you’re ‘symptom-free,’ don’t ignore these warnings
    As you can imagine – by now, the importance of a high-quality personal water filtration system can’t be overstated. Just make sure your system for water purification removed aluminum – before you buy.

Of course, no discussion about aluminum would be complete without warning you about the the current vaccine schedule and geoengineering programs designed to ‘control’ the weather. These are two of the biggest ways that people are getting exposed to aluminum.

Plus, as if the above mentioned sources weren’t enough, aluminum can appear in foodstuffs such as cocoa, baking powder and even salt. But, you can still benefit from small – yet significant – changes. For example, just opt for sea salt over (heavily processed) commercial salt.

In addition to drinking mineral water, you can detoxify your body with proper nutrition, along with appropriate dosages of vitamin C and E.

Other natural neutralizers include chlorella, cilantro, the mineral selenium, the herb horsetail (naturally rich in silica) and the amino acid N-acetyl-cysteine.

Of course, always consult with an experienced integrative physician before supplementing – or before undergoing any sort of detoxification program.

Finally, don’t forget the garlic, onions, and cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, arugula and kale). These beneficial foods can help promote the production of glutathione – the body’s ‘master antioxidant.’

Our current era has been dubbed “The Age of Aluminum” – for good reason. But mineral water – safe, non-invasive and cost-effective – just might be your most important ally for surviving it.

So, raise a glass (of mineral water) to your health!"

Sources for this article include:

HippocraticPost.com
    ARLTMA.com
    NaturalHealth365
    Each breath a gift...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Flash (23rd March 2019), Pam (24th March 2019), RunningDeer (23rd March 2019)

21. Link to Post #371
    Japan Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I was warned not to water fast. Why?
    Unlike the olden days, we live in a polluted world, with polluted air, food, water.
    Through water fasting, toxins in the body are further pushed into deeper tissues where you don't want them.
    What to do then?
    You could juice fast, or squeeze lemon into the water. Make it short and please don't brag about the length of your fast. That way, toxins don't wind up in deeper tissues but get eliminated.
    It is important that you cleanse the kidneys ahead of the time to get the filtering process running smoothly.
    I know a young German lady who fasted in Switzerland (without water or anything) and died shortly after. I think she permanently damaged her kidneys.
    Folks, I warn you. Fasting is dangerous.

22. Link to Post #372
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Didgevillage (here)
    I was warned not to water fast. Why?
    Unlike the olden days, we live in a polluted world, with polluted air, food, water.
    Through water fasting, toxins in the body are further pushed into deeper tissues where you don't want them.
    What to do then?
    You could juice fast, or squeeze lemon into the water. Make it short and please don't brag about the length of your fast. That way, toxins don't wind up in deeper tissues but get eliminated.
    It is important that you cleanse the kidneys ahead of the time to get the filtering process running smoothly.
    I know a young German lady who fasted in Switzerland (without water or anything) and died shortly after. I think she permanently damaged her kidneys.
    Folks, I warn you. Fasting is dangerous.
    Welcome to Avalon, Didgevillage.

Quote please don't brag about the length of your fast
    It's not about bragging rights, people share their experiences and we take what works and leave the rest. It's because of as you said polluted world, with polluted air, food, water that many believe it's important to periodically clean out their systems.

Quote I know a young German lady who fasted in Switzerland (without water or anything) and died shortly after.
    If she died shortly after, then her dry fast was short? Some reports say one day of dry fast is equivalent to a three day water fast. I did a dry fast for 44 hours and I felt no weakness, no ill effects. What stopped me is I wasn’t able to break through old belief systems.

These are some places I researched on dry-fasting:
    Quote Through water fasting, toxins in the body are further pushed into deeper tissues where you don't want them.
    What to do then?
    One suggestion is filter the water.

Here are some Avalon resources on water filtration and members experiences:

I use the travel size Berkey with the two additional Berkey Fluoride Water Filters.

The Black Berkey Filter Elements have been tested and confirmed to remove or greatly reduce the contaminants listed below:
    • Viruses:  99.999% reduction
    •  MS2 - Fr Coliphage
    • *Exceeds purification standards
    • Pathogenic Bacteria, Parasites, and Cysts:  Removed to non-detectable levels - 100% reduction
    • E. coli, Klebsiella terrigena, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Giardia, Cryptosporidium
    • *Exceeds purification standards
    • Trihalomethanes:   Removed to below detectable limits - 99.99999% reduction
    • Bromodichloromethane, Bromofore, Chloroform, Dibromochloromethane 
    • Inorganic Minerals:  Removed to non-detectable levels - 99.9999999% reduction
    • Chlorine 
    • Heavy Metals:  Greater than 95% reduction
    • Lead, Mercury, Aluminum, Cadmium, Chromium, Copper
    • Volatile Organic Compounds:  Removed to below detectable limits - 99.9999999% reduction:
     Alachlor, Atrazine, Benzene, Carbofuran, Carbon Tetrachloride,
    Chlorine, Chlorobenzene, Chloroform, 2 4-D, DBCP,
    p-Dichlorobenzene, o-Dichlorobenzene, 1 1-Dichloroethane
    1 2-Dichlorpethane, 1 1-Dichloroethylene, Cis-1 2-Dichloroethyiene
    Trans-1 2-Dichloroethylene, 1 2-Dichloropropane
    Cis-l 3-Dichloropropylene, Dinoseb, Endrin, Ethylbenzene
    Ethylene Dibromide (EDB), Heptachlor, Heptachlor Epoxide
    Hexachlorobutodlene, Hexachloro-, Cyclopentadlene, Lindane
    Methoxychlor, MTBE, Pentachlorophenol, Simazine, Styrene
    1,1,2,2-Tetrachloroethane, Tetrachloroethylene, Toluene
    2,4,5-TP (Silvex), 1 2 4-trichlorobenzene, 1 1 1-trichloroethane
    1 1 2-trichloroethane, Trichloroethylene, o-Xylene, m-Xylene
    Berkey Fluoride Filter (Set of 2):

The Berkey water filter fluoride reduction elements work by adding the ability to remove the contaminants listed below. When threaded directly onto the Black Berkey® purification elements the fluoride reduction element is an effective way to take control of targeted harmful contaminants in your drinking water. These fluoride water filters work as a post filter to the Black Berkey and is compatible with all Berkey water filter systems.

Effectively reduces the following water contaminants
    • Fluoride
    • Pre-oxidized Arsenic III and Arsenic V
    • MTBE
    • Other heavy metal ions

[continued here]
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 25th March 2019 at 03:26.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Agape (5th April 2019), Didgevillage (25th March 2019), Hym (25th March 2019), onawah (25th March 2019), Rosco1 (17th August 2019), ThePythonicCow (24th March 2019)

24. Link to Post #373
    Japan Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Thank you, RunningDeer.
    I forgot to mention the chemtrails that muck up our environment.
    As long as the chemicals are up in the sky, they are just annoying, but they eventually will come down to the ground level and form a thin layer which can be mistaken for mist.

The German lady I was talking about was about 30, lived in Tokyo, went to Switzerland for a fasting program and I talked with her in the autumn after her return to Japan. (I don't exactly recall the length of the fast; maybe two weeks, maybe three, done in a mountain retreat setting, gathering of spiritual people, so to speak. They meditate, do yoga, give talks, conduct discussions, etc., except they serve no food.) For some months I failed to see her in the regular meeting in Tokyo, and out of curiosity I asked what happened to her? I was told she had been hospitalized and died (within that year). The Japanese doctors couldn't figure out why.

-----
    There was a cancer patient in his 80s and he was anemic and weak. But he said fasting would remove cancer and rejuvenate him. I told him absolutely not. Well, he didn't listen and died "shortly"
    Last edited by Didgevillage; 25th March 2019 at 08:19.

25. Link to Post #374
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Didgevillage (here)
    The German lady I was talking about was about 30, lived in Tokyo, went to Switzerland for a fasting program and I talked with her in the autumn after her return to Japan. (I don't exactly recall the length of the fast; maybe two weeks, maybe three, done in a mountain retreat setting, gathering of spiritual people, so to speak. They meditate, do yoga, give talks, conduct discussions, etc., except they serve no food.) For some months I failed to see her in the regular meeting in Tokyo, and out of curiosity I asked what happened to her? I was told she had been hospitalized and died (within that year). The Japanese doctors couldn't figure out why.
    I wouldn’t conclude the 30 year old woman died because she fasted. You don’t have the facts of her day to day activities since she returned to Japan. People in their 70’s and 80’s have successful dry and water fasts.

Quote There was a cancer patient in his 80s and he was anemic and weak. But he said fasting would remove cancer and rejuvenate him. I told him absolutely not. Well, he didn't listen and died "shortly"
    As for the cancer patient, it’d be hard to undo 80 years of not so healthy life choices and expect a fast to reverse cancer. Prevention is key.

For me, fasting is only a small part. Healthy food, drink, exercise and a healthy mind. Toxic thoughts alters one’s outlook on life which in turn creates a dis-eased body and mind. Stretch the mind. Toss out limited beliefs. Ego cleans. Pay attention to inner genius and act on it; stagnation is walking dead. And most important is to live the heart-mind. It’s the GPS to a greater perspective.

Enjoy your day, Didgevillage.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 25th March 2019 at 13:29.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th July 2019), Hym (25th March 2019), petra (25th March 2019), ThePythonicCow (25th March 2019)

27. Link to Post #375
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Thinking about all our dear friends who might need some advice with water fasting...

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th July 2019), meeradas (28th July 2019), RunningDeer (28th July 2019)

29. Link to Post #376
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 times in 258 posts

Hey everyone,

I am back on the Water Fasting trail

Planning to go for 432 hours. Currently 9 hours in so a long way to go.

Posting here in case anyone is currently on a fast and wants some company and also to help document it for myself. I have done a couple in the past, but want to see if I can go longer this time.

I will keep you posted with any interesting findings.

JC

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jc71 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th July 2019), Constance (29th July 2019)

31. Link to Post #377
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Quote Posted by jc71 (here)
    Hey everyone,

I am back on the Water Fasting trail

Planning to go for 432 hours. Currently 9 hours in so a long way to go.

Posting here in case anyone is currently on a fast and wants some company and also to help document it for myself. I have done a couple in the past, but want to see if I can go longer this time.

I will keep you posted with any interesting findings.

JC
    Thanks for sharing JC!

Awesome work!

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th July 2019), jc71 (29th July 2019)

33. Link to Post #378
    Thanks

Bumping this very interesting thread with a detailed article from Dr Mercola about Autophagy (self-healing which kicks in while fasting), which has been referenced here by a number of members.
    (Download interview transcript PDF here)

Story at-a-glance
    • Autophagy refers to the biological process in which your cellular parts are recycled and converted back into replacements. It’s a recycling mechanism that prevents the accumulation of old and worn-out organelles
    • Autophagy gets activated during nutrient starvation and energy deprivation. Whenever your body is deficient in vital nutrients, autophagy is activated, allowing your body to recycle components. You can get similar results through intermittent fasting and regular fasting
    • When it comes to muscle building, the timing of anabolism activation can make a big difference. To optimize muscle building, do heavy resistance training while in a fasted state and then refeed directly afterward. Eating a small amount of protein before your workout can also be beneficial
    • Working out fasted might slightly reduce your maximum performance, but you don’t need to work out at your personal max to improve strength and muscle development
    • As you age, growth hormone levels tend to decline and your ability to synthesize protein and build tissue goes down. As a result, maintaining muscle will require different strategies depending on your age
    Siim Land, a sociocultural anthropologist, entrepreneur and high-performance coach, is also the author of an excellent book, "Metabolic Autophagy: Practice Intermittent Fasting and Resistance Training to Build Muscle and Promote Longevity (Metabolic Autophagy Diet Book 1)."

I met Land at Dave Asprey's 2019 Upgrade Labs' event, formally known as the Bulletproof Conference, and was impressed with his depth of knowledge. "Metabolic Autophagy" is a marvelous companion book to "Fat for Fuel: A Revolutionary Diet to Combat Cancer, Boost Brain Power, and Increase Your Energy."

That said, it's still a great standalone, as it goes into great detail and provides specific protocols for you to follow. Importantly, it clears up one of the primary confusions about autophagy. A common fallacy is that since autophagy is a good thing, you should activate it continuously. This simply isn't true, and could backfire rather severely, especially if you're older.

One way to remain in autophagy is to minimize protein, and if you're on a chronic low-protein diet, you never really activate anabolism, the building of muscle tissue. Land does a magnificent job of clearing up that confusion and giving very specific cycling protocols to help make sure you're maintaining your muscle mass and getting the full benefits of autophagy.

Intermittent Fasting and Autophagy

Land's interest in autophagy began in high school, when he began doing intermittent fasting. One of his primary aims was to improve his body composition in the easiest way possible.
    "At first, I didn't delve into the longevity aspect of it, but after a while, it kind of just emerged — this idea of autophagy and stem cells," he says. "I went down the rabbit hole and started to realize that it's a very critical part of antiaging, as well as just general homeostasis of your cellular functioning.
    The reason I started writing the book was because there were a lot of misconceptions about autophagy and fasting. 'It's the best thing. You want to have it all the time.' But coming from this background of doing some amateur bodybuilding, I realized it doesn't actually make sense to chronically activate autophagy.
    You don't want to be in this fasted, ketosis state all the time. I wanted to refute some of the misconceptions about it, especially [issues relating to] protein and mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) and anabolism, because those are important aspects of healthy aging, like having more muscle."
    Autophagy 101

For those who have not studied biochemistry and are unfamiliar with molecular biology, Land does a terrific job of breaking it down to the basics. Reading his book can save you hundreds of hours of reading intense molecular biology literature.

In brief, autophagy translates into "self-eating." It refers to the biological process in which your cellular parts are recycled. "Simplistically put, it's a recycling mechanism that prevents the accumulation of old and worn-out organelles, whether that be broken-down mitochondria, reactive oxygen species [or] inflammatory cytokines," Land explains.
    "Autophagy is this process that your body goes through when it wants to or when it needs to repair and heal itself. It has a critical role in many of the diseases that we suffer from. Conditions like insulin resistance [and] liver disease can benefit from autophagy.
    Even Alzheimer's and heart failure — they're kind of connected with the processes of autophagy. Efficient autophagy has been shown to be very causative for those things and promotes these diseases."
    How to Activate Autophagy

Autophagy gets activated during nutrient starvation and energy deprivation. Whenever your body is deficient in critical nutrients such as amino acids, proteins, carbide, glucose or carbon, just to name a few, autophagy is activated, allowing your body to recycle these components.

Other downstream pathways also come into play to support this rejuvenating process, such as sirtuins, AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) and forkhead box (FOX) proteins. "All of them have been found to be the central components of longevity when it comes to things like caloric restriction and exercise," Land says.
    "In mice … blocking autophagy while being on caloric restriction doesn't promote [increased] lifespan, whereas when they have autophagy activated, then they will live longer when put on caloric restriction. Caloric restriction is one of the few known ways of promoting lifespan and one of the most effective ways.
    Actually, the focus shouldn't be on caloric restriction. The focus should be on autophagy, because if you won't get autophagy even when you're storing, then you won't see those desired benefits. That's one of the critical components."
    The problem with calorie restriction is that it's enormously difficult to do, and compliance is low. The good news is that calorie restriction is not necessary. You can get the same results through intermittent fasting and regular fasting. Calorie restriction also has drawbacks, such as malnutrition, frailty, loss of muscle mass and bone density, for example, which are side stepped when intermittently fasting.
    "Intermittent fasting is literally like biohacking caloric restriction, because you mimic most of the benefits of caloric restriction. You will get more autophagy from intermittent fasting because you're in a fasted state and you don't necessarily need to restrict your calories, restrict your protein or become malnourished to gain those benefits."
    Like me, Land uses a restricted eating window, eating all of his meals within four-hours every day. I use a four- to five-hour window. Importantly, this is not the same as calorie restriction. You're not restricting the amounts of calories you consume; you're simply restricting the time in which you eat them, and by so doing, you're able to activate autophagy.

Autophagy Is Easily Disrupted by Food

As explained by Land, even small amounts of food will inhibit autophagy. "Eating a bagel is going to stop autophagy. That's literally the breakfast of most people in the world," he says. "They're immediately inhibiting the benefits of caloric restriction and the benefits of intermittent fasting if they break autophagy immediately in the morning."

The key is to maintain a close-to-zero-calorie state that isn't going to raise your insulin and put you in an anabolic state (which is a fed state). In other words, the fasted state is what allows your body to remain in autophagy. Granted, there are degrees of inhibition depending on the type of nutrients you eat. Land explains:
    "The nutrient status is being constantly monitored by fuel censors like mTOR, the main growth pathway. The opposite of that is AMPK. These two are like the yin and yang of your metabolism. They're constantly monitoring what kind of fuel is burning through your bloodstream.
    Based upon that information, they're going to decide whether they're going to grow or whether they're going to activate autophagy to recycle themselves. Throughout the entire day, those fuel sensors are balancing each other out, so they can't coexist a lot.
    Whenever you eat the bagel, the bagel is going to raise insulin levels and activate mTOR and it will put you in the feasted state, which will inhibit autophagy.
    But at the same time, if you eat something more along the lines of a ketogenic meal, then that's going to have a significantly lower anabolic response because it doesn't raise insulin and it doesn't have extra amino acids.
    So, there's definitely degrees [of autophagy inhibition], with high amounts of carbs and high amounts of protein being more anabolic and more mTOR-stimulating. Things like low-carb, moderate-protein and higher fat, those would be more AMPK-stimulating, [thus] they are able to maintain autophagy for longer or much more easily."
    Of course, the length of your fast will also have an effect. For instance, after a 24- or 48-hour fast, your AMPK will be much higher and mTOR significantly suppressed — far more so than after a 16-hour fast. In this case, your buffer zone is greater, meaning certain foods will not have as great an impact on autophagy.
    "In that case, taking collagen protein or something that doesn't have the anabolic amino acids … wouldn't interfere with autophagy that much, as long as you stay within a certain threshold of calories," Land says.
    Land's Personal Program

Land, who has the physique of a well-trained gymnast, is a sterling role model for how a well-planned program that cycles through autophagy and anabolism can transform your body. His own program typically consists of 20 hours of fasting per day and eating all of his meals within four hours.

When breaking his fast sooner, say after 16 or 18 hours instead of 20, he does it by drinking bone broth or something similar. This breaks the fast, yet doesn't do it completely. "I'll still maintain the semi-fasted state until I have the rest of the calories," he says. He also dispels concerns about losing muscle mass through fasting.
    "The truth is you won't be losing muscle when you are fasting as long as you're in ketosis and you're keto-adapted, because your body will become very efficient at using ketones and fat for fuel, and then it becomes much more muscle-preserving.
    But at the same time, if you're trying to build muscle, then having some source of amino acids circulating in the bloodstream during exercise or during resistance training will help to maintain more muscle and also help to recover faster.
    For that, whenever I'm doing like a heavier resistance training or workout or doing some gymnastic rings or something like that, then I'll have a little bit of protein powder or some collagen protein during the workout to shield any potential negative side effects of working out in a fasted state …
    … because at that point, I don't care if I stop autophagy because I've already been fasting for 18 to 20 hours. Having the protein shake isn't going to be interfering with my goals. It's going to actually build [muscle]."
    Catabolism/Anabolism — You Need Both but Not Simultaneously

There are two distinct metabolic pathways you can activate: autophagy (catabolism, the breakdown or repair of your tissues) and mTOR (anabolism, which is the rebuilding process). The mTOR pathway is essentially a protein sensing pathway, and is activated by protein and insulin.

I used to be overly concerned about activating mTOR, thinking it was probably best to avoid activating it as much as possible, as mTOR is a major driver of chronic disease and aging. This isn't completely true and Land's book does an excellent job of clearing up this common misconception.

As with autophagy, you don't want mTOR chronically activated, but you do want to cyclically activate it on a regular basis. Now, if you're doing a two-day fast, that's not the time to do heavy resistance training, because that would result in trying to activate anabolism and autophagy at the same time. It's like pressing the brake and accelerator on your car simultaneously, which isn't a good idea. So, when fasting, remember why you're doing it. Land explains:
    "You can't really build muscle doing extended fasts. The goal of any prolonged fast is to go into deeper autophagy and essentially promote cellular clearance [and] heal yourself.
    At that point, I don't see a point in trying to have a heavy resistance training workout, because first of all, you don't have enough energy to actually reach your personal record. Secondly, your body doesn't respond to it as beneficially. You may potentially just put additional stress on your body.
    What I like to do on these longer fasts is some easier workouts with body weight or resistance bands just to stimulate the muscle. That would just signal the body that it still needs to preserve more lean tissue. If I were to do a heavy workout and then not eat anything afterwards either, I'll set myself up for failure. That's going to inevitably lead to more muscle catabolism.
    You shouldn't think of trying to catch two rabbits at the same time. You'd want to focus on one thing at a time: either deeper autophagy or trying to build lean tissue with the deactivation of mTOR. It's supposed to be cyclical, punctuated almost. If you're trying to do both at the same time, then you end up not getting the benefits of either."
    Anabolic Timing and Benefits

When it comes to muscle building, the timing of anabolism activation can make a big difference. To optimize muscle building, you want to do heavy resistance training while in a fasted state and then refeed directly afterward. As noted by Land, working out fasted might slightly reduce your maximum performance, but you don't need to work out at your personal max to improve strength and muscle development.
    "The key is to do it consistently, and send the right signal to your body on a daily basis, within this 24-hour period," he says. "It's smarter to backload most of your calories into the post-workout scenario because, in that case, you can get away with mild caloric restriction and still be able to build muscle.
    If you were to eat all of your calories before the workout, and then not eat anything after the workout, then it's harder to maintain more muscle in a caloric deficit. You may be able to do it without a caloric surplus, but staying in a caloric surplus all the time isn't going to be good …
    By back loading [i.e., eating after your workout] … you still gain the anabolic response from resistance training and still recover adequately despite having worked out in a fasted state and despite eating only within a few hours of the day."
    That said, there may be some benefit to eating a small amount of protein right before your workout. From this discussion in Land's book, I started eating two raw eggs before my workout.
    "For the goal of muscle growth and muscle preservation, it's definitely a good idea to have some amino acids and some protein in the system while you are working out. It doesn't have to be a lot. You probably can get away even with even just 10 grams of protein. That's going to be enough and it won't spike insulin. It won't kick you out of a fasted state completely," Land says.
    The Basics of Hormesis

Land also does a fine job defining hormesis in his book. It's an important concept that can be summarized as "Whatever doesn't kill you is going to make you stronger." It's a biological strategy that allows your body to adapt to environmental stressors, be it calorie restriction, starvation, cold or heat, for example.

Hormesis also produces effects similar to that of autophagy because it's stimulated by similar pathways, including AMPK, FOXO proteins and sirtuins. Intermittent fasting, for example, is a mild stressor that activates hormesis. High-intensity exercise is another, more intense activator.
    "Those hormetic stressors, they kind of carry over to different areas of stress exposure. Like if I'm able to fast, then I at least notice that I'm also able to endure more cold and heat, or have more endurance … Other ways of activating hormesis is doing saunas and combining that with cold [exposure] like an ice bath or ice plunge."
    In our interview, we also discuss other benefits of near-infrared saunas and heat-shock proteins, which are a corollary to autophagy. In summary, a primary function of heat-shock proteins is to properly refold misfolded proteins, which is one of the reasons why sauna therapy is so beneficial for overall health. Heat also stimulates autophagy.

Customize Your Strategy to Your Age

We also discuss the importance of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), a coenzyme found in all cells that is required for biological processes, including energy homeostasis. During our youth, NAD supplementation is a nonissue, but with age, your NAD level starts to decline.

One of the greatest consumers of the NAD+ molecule is poly-ADP ribose polymerase (PARP), a DNA repair enzyme. I'm currently researching this issue, and it appears the dose in NAD augmentation therapy is highly dependent on your age.

For people under the age of 30 or 40, it's likely a nonissue unless you have a chronic health issue. Once you're in your 40s, however, NAD augmentation becomes an important strategy.

The good news is there are many ways to boost NAD naturally, such as exercise, which dramatically increases a rate-limiting enzyme for NAD called nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase or NAMPT. Fasting will also increase NAD, which is yet another of its benefits.

The problem most people face is that they stop or radically reduce their exercising when they get older. The frailty associated with old age is in part because nicotinamide builds up and is not converted back to NAD. Nicotinamide also inhibits sirtuins, important longevity proteins. Once you stop getting the benefits of sirtuins and NAD, longevity suffers.
    "All these pathways are very context-dependent," Land notes. "What's the optimal amount of autophagy? Or what's the optimal amount of NAD+? It depends upon your age. It depends upon your medical condition and physical conditions as well. I can get away with probably a little bit more fasting compared to someone who is very old.
    Because the older the person, they're experiencing more anabolic resistance as well, so it's harder for them to maintain muscle. They shouldn't fast that long. They would actually benefit from increased protein intake and definitely maintaining resistance training to promote anabolism and make sure they don't lose muscle …"
    Protein Requirements Increase With Age

This is an important point that Land expounds upon in his book. Protein levels, specifically, change with age, and maintaining muscle will require different strategies depending on your age. Along with decreasing NAD levels, you'll also see a reduction in growth hormone with age, and your ability to synthesize protein and build tissue goes down.
    "To compensate for that, you just need to increase your protein intake a little bit to have a bigger bank of amino acids to pull from, making sure that the stimulus for muscle hypertrophy and muscle growth is still there in the example of lifting weights and doing resistance training.
    That's a very important part of avoiding the negative side effects of aging, such as muscle loss, because if you lose your muscle, then you also become more predisposed to all the other diseases, like diabetes. You're predisposed to insulin resistance and even Alzheimer's …
    Muscle mass is like a huge pension fund for healthy aging, because with more muscle, you're more insulin-sensitive. You have bigger glycogen stores. You can get away with eating more calories. You essentially have a bigger protection against all different diseases.
    You also don't need to restrict yourself that much when it comes to fasting and calories, because muscle mass helps you to live longer. It seems like one of the predictors of all-cause mortality is the amount of muscle mass. That's being used more and more in research and other research as well."
    Land also recommends cycling the amounts of protein you consume. For instance, on a fasting day, protein intake can be low, because you don't need it for muscle recovery, whereas higher protein intake will benefit you the most on days you're doing strength training.

Land recommends a protein intake of 0.6 grams per pound of lean body mass on the low end and 0.8 to 1.0 gram per pound of lean body weight on the high end. To calculate your lean body mass, determine your percentage of body fat and deduct that from your total weight. So, if you have 20% body fat, then your lean mass would be 80% of your total weight. Then multiply that by, say, 0.8 grams to calculate your protein requirement.

More Information

In closing, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Land's book, "Metabolic Autophagy: Practice Intermittent Fasting and Resistance Training to Build Muscle and Promote Longevity (Metabolic Autophagy Diet Book 1)." You can also find a wealth of information on Land's YouTube channel and website, SiimLand.com.

We discuss a lot more than I've summarized here, so for more information, please listen to the interview in its entirety. Toward the end, we review the benefits of KAATSU training, for example, also referred to as blood flow restriction training, which allows you to boost muscle growth using far less weight. Another topic we delve into is the importance of sleep, and the negative side effects of sleep deprivation.

The take-home message of this interview though, is the importance of time-restricted eating. Even if you eat high-quality food, if you're grazing for 16 hours a day, you're sabotaging your health. A related point is to eat your last meal at least three of four hours before bed. Land recommends four hours. I typically try to aim for five hours.

Time-restricted eating may even allow you to get away with a diet that isn't entirely ideal, as it blocks many of the harmful effects of a poor diet, likely because you're regularly activating autophagy.
    "Time-restricted eating and intermittent fasting is definitely one of the most important, most effective ways of promoting healthy aging and longevity, as well as improving body composition," Land says.
    "You shouldn't worry about restricting your protein, et cetera, if you're doing some form of fasting, because you're already suppressing the anabolic pathways area to approaching overconsumption whether you're in a fasted state, so you don't have to worry about it because you're doing it more diligently and you're getting a bigger effect from that."

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Eva2 (16th September 2019), Ewan (1st June 2021), Pieman (22nd February 2020), RogueEllis (15th September 2019), Sunny-side-up (21st February 2020), T Smith (21st February 2020), thepainterdoug (16th September 2019), Victoria (21st February 2020), Yoda (15th September 2019)

35. Link to Post #379
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 times in 266 posts

Fascinating! I have fasted quite often in the past, but was unaware of all the actual benefits! Our bodies are so amazing that we are able to heal ourselves!

(I am still amused that "breakfast" is a term because of "breaking the fast" from your previous meal!)

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RogueEllis For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th September 2019), Pieman (16th September 2019), Sunny-side-up (21st February 2020), thepainterdoug (16th September 2019)

37. Link to Post #380
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RogueEllis (here)
    Fascinating! I have fasted quite often in the past, but was unaware of all the actual benefits! Our bodies are so amazing that we are able to heal ourselves!
    Yes.

(This is why wild animals instinctively fast when they're sick... it helps them to heal and recover as quickly as possible.)

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Pieman (16th September 2019), Sunny-side-up (21st February 2020), T Smith (21st February 2020), Victoria (21st February 2020), Yoda (15th September 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst 1 9 19 22 LastLast