+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Life Expectancy of Runners

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Default Ridiculous Life Expectancy of Runners

I started sprinting recently. I noticed this morning my morning face looked a lot better than normal. That's good. The mirror has been scaring me recently. On googling running and anti-aging, I found this thread:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...thread=8599100

A researcher goes through lists of Olympic medallists, and finds they have life expectancies that far outshine their peers.

When going through the list, and you see someone died at 79, and think it's quite impressive... remember that these stats are from back in the 1920s, or 1950s, when life expectancy was around 50, in some cases.

https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy/

tl;dr: Running is good!

Quote I've read several times in recent years the idea that's supposedly been backed by studies that hard running over a lifetime is actually bad for the heart (wear and tear) and reduces life expectancy. Obviously elite runners are way healthier than the average Joe to being with, but they also train (or trained for a long period when they were competitive) way harder than a hobby jogger.

So I decided to look at the age of deaths of the top Olympic champions, focusing on the 800m. This is what I found :

All the 800m Olympic Champions from 1956 to today are still living (Tom Courtney is 84, and Peter Snell is 79).

Mal Whitfield, the champion in 1948 and 1952 died aged 91. John Woodruff champion in 1936 died aged 92.

Albert Hill and Douglas Lowe, British winners in the 1920s, died aged 79 and 78. When they were born (in late Victorian England) the life expectancy was less than 50.

Only one gold medalist in the last 113 years has died 'prematurely' (Tommy Hampson 1932 died aged 57).

All the medalists from 1928 lived until at least 79 (silver medalist reached 88). They were all born at the start of the 20th century when life expectancy for men was under 50.

The age of deaths of the 6 medalists from 1920 and 1924 were : 79, 76, 53, 78, 85, 70

1896 : Edwin Flack (61)
    1900 : Alfred Toysoe (27)
    1904 : James Lightbody (71)
    1908 : Mel Sheppard (58)
    1912 : Ted Meridith (66)
    1920 : Albert Hill (79)
    1924 :Douglas Lowe (78)
    1928 :Douglas Lowe (78)
    1932 : Tommy Hampson (57)
    1936 : John Woodruff (92)
    1948/52 :Mal Whitfield (91)
    1956 : Tom Courtney (1933 - 84 living)
    1960/64 : Peter Snell (1938) 79 living)
    1968 : Ralph Doubell (1945) 72 living
    1972 : Dave Wottle living 67
    1976 : Albert Juantoreno living 67

Taking a cursory look at some other distances, it seems the same pattern. For example, the 5000m in 1924 :

Gold: Paavo Nurmi (76)
    Silver : Ville Ritola (84)
    Bronze : Edvin Wide (100!!)
    Last edited by Daozen; 27th December 2017 at 01:09.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Baby Steps (27th December 2017), cascadian (27th December 2017), dynamo (27th December 2017), Fellow Aspirant (27th December 2017), findingneo (5th January 2018), Franny (27th December 2017), Hym (27th December 2017), justntime2learn (27th December 2017), Justplain (31st December 2017), kanishk (5th January 2018), Nasu (28th December 2017), toppy (27th December 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,035 times in 911 posts

Default Re: Ridiculous Life Expectancy of Runners

Emil Zatopek was my favorite runner, by his unique-at that time-interval training method, something you'll see is now a preferred method for training. (My favorite was how he used to hold his breath running in between telephone poles, or running while carrying someone on his back, interval methods that increases oxygen capacity, like high altitude training.) He also had a great sense of humor which must all have contributed to him living until the age of 78.

After the fall of the communist Czech republic he was forced into doing some very difficult work, including working in a uranium mine, which likely cut some years off of his life.

When enjoyment is your goal while running the chances of injury are less. There is nothing worse than seeing runners killing themselves, when a focus on having fun usually makes for a better runner. It's your body and you should put it thru it's paces and test it, yes, but leave the serious stuff at home, in the office, in the car.

Be sure to replace the minerals lost (and not with commercial caffeine and taurine, sugar laden drinks calling themselves electrolyte replacements) and to drink water before you run, and during. You may even have more fun and insight and capabilities if you re-enter running as an adventure. If we listen to our body and take it gradually, slowly increasing length and duration, the enjoyment may even be better than when we were young.

Run barefoot on grass, jog at a beach, run uphill, cruise downhill. Walk at a fast pace. Stretch out your stride when walking. Walk silly. Imitate the walk, the gait, of someone you know or someone famous. Have fun!

Walk until you can jog. Jog until you can run. Run until you can speed.

Amongst those things we can do to increase our longevity, doing those physical things with a focus on enjoyment is all a benefit and time well spent, beyond the goals we may set for ourselves. You'll most likely live longer. Not very scientific, just based on decades of having fun. That's gotta increase a life span.
    Last edited by Hym; 27th December 2017 at 02:31.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

cascadian (27th December 2017), Daozen (27th December 2017), dynamo (27th December 2017), Justplain (31st December 2017), Nasu (28th December 2017), toppy (27th December 2017), Watching from Cyprus (1st January 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,057 times in 2,419 posts

Thank you for this post and the time you put into it.

I'm pleased to say that my mother is 87 and still getting along strong, drinks and smokes and never ran a day in her life. I'm not sure what can definitely be proved about running, not running, drinking, not drinking, etc... and the correlation to longevity. But, I do believe that moderation in all things that one chooses to do is best. If I recall correctly it was Aristotle who referred to this approach to lifestyle choices as The Golden Mean.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Callista (27th December 2017), cascadian (27th December 2017), Daozen (27th December 2017), dynamo (27th December 2017), guyres (27th December 2017), Hym (27th December 2017), kanishk (5th January 2018), Nasu (28th December 2017), toppy (27th December 2017), Unicorn (31st December 2017), Watching from Cyprus (1st January 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

I do my own "keep fit" program at home (no-one needs a fitness studio if one knows what's required- pushing/bending one's own physical weight is all that is required- it's always been that way- and it can be done at home if one has carpeting or a plastic physical matt on which the exercizes occur)-

I'm not into jogging/running; it's an incredible strain on the knees (with youth one can get away with this but not in older age)-

besides that I'm not trying to run away from anything; I look at my naked self every morning in the bathroom mirror and say to myself: "Larry, you need to improve some things"-

be well all-

Larry

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Daozen (27th December 2017), Watching from Cyprus (1st January 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Satori (here)
    Thank you for this post and the time you put into it.

I'm pleased to say that my mother is 87 and still getting along strong, drinks and smokes and never ran a day in her life. I'm not sure what can definitely be proved about running, not running, drinking, not drinking, etc... and the correlation to longevity. But, I do believe that moderation in all things that one chooses to do is best. If I recall correctly it was Aristotle who referred to this approach to lifestyle choices as The Golden Mean.
    Congratulations. I have a lot of respect for people who can just drink and smoke and live a happy life. They should be studied... who knows how they do it? I'm not one of them. I can eat the odd chicken burger if I want, but I largely have to live like a monk if I want to be happy. Iodine, Vit C, zeolites and MMS have made me more robust but I still have to be careful.

My grandmother lived til 93. She never studied nutrition as far as I know. Once my father showed me her weekly shopping list. It was a perfect balance of minerals. I think she just knew good food from her intuition.

While stories of Grandpa Joe who smoked like a chimney and lived til 90 are common, statistically these people are outliers. Most of us can't live like that, as you can see when you look around. Smoking and drinking made me dog sick by age 30. I had to turn myself into a fitness freak.

Back to running. It's making me feel good, so I'll continue. Marathon runners over do it, but apart from that, it seems like a good sport.
    Last edited by Daozen; 28th December 2017 at 02:06.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

kanishk (5th January 2018), Mike (28th December 2017), Nasu (28th December 2017), Satori (28th December 2017), Watching from Cyprus (1st January 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hym (here)
    Emil Zatopek was my favorite runner, by his unique-at that time-interval training method, something you'll see is now a preferred method for training. (My favorite was how he used to hold his breath running in between telephone poles, or running while carrying someone on his back, interval methods that increases oxygen capacity, like high altitude training.) He also had a great sense of humor which must all have contributed to him living until the age of 78.

After the fall of the communist Czech republic he was forced into doing some very difficult work, including working in a uranium mine, which likely cut some years off of his life.

When enjoyment is your goal while running the chances of injury are less. There is nothing worse than seeing runners killing themselves, when a focus on having fun usually makes for a better runner. It's your body and you should put it thru it's paces and test it, yes, but leave the serious stuff at home, in the office, in the car.

Be sure to replace the minerals lost (and not with commercial caffeine and taurine, sugar laden drinks calling themselves electrolyte replacements) and to drink water before you run, and during. You may even have more fun and insight and capabilities if you re-enter running as an adventure. If we listen to our body and take it gradually, slowly increasing length and duration, the enjoyment may even be better than when we were young.

Run barefoot on grass, jog at a beach, run uphill, cruise downhill. Walk at a fast pace. Stretch out your stride when walking. Walk silly. Imitate the walk, the gait, of someone you know or someone famous. Have fun!

Walk until you can jog. Jog until you can run. Run until you can speed.

Amongst those things we can do to increase our longevity, doing those physical things with a focus on enjoyment is all a benefit and time well spent, beyond the goals we may set for ourselves. You'll most likely live longer. Not very scientific, just based on decades of having fun. That's gotta increase a life span.
    Hi, thanks for an inspiring post. yes, I will remember the fun of running. I really enjoy it. Music helps too. The Rocky Theme or Chariots of Fire never gets old.

Coincidentally I felt I wanted to hodl my breath while sprinting. I googled it and it seemed to be safe in small doses.

And yes, its not about longevity, its about increased quality of life NOW.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Hym (28th December 2017), Mike (28th December 2017), Nasu (28th December 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

The line about training for marathons, but never run one. It's the training that brings life - It's the marathons which kill.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Daozen (28th December 2017), Hym (28th December 2017), Mike (28th December 2017), Nasu (28th December 2017), Unicorn (31st December 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Haha yeah Carmody. And ook at the difference between sprinters and marathon runners. I respect their discipline, but a lot of marathon runners look emaciated, while sprinters are beasts of men, nearly superhuman. I don't think the body is built to run that far...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Carmody (1st January 2018), Hym (28th December 2017), Mike (28th December 2017), Nasu (28th December 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,307 times in 5,692 posts

There's quite a bit of info out there about the benefits of quick burst interval training vs the seeming harmful long distance stuff. Dr Mercola has some interesting stuff to say about it, for what it's worth:

And yes, wow, Daozen that is so true about the frail distance guys and the muscular, healthy looking sprinters. Some of those sprinters look like they can run thru walls. And they have the hamstrings of horses.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Daozen (28th December 2017), Flash (28th December 2017), Hym (28th December 2017), Nasu (28th December 2017), TargeT (28th December 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

as an aside:

look at the case of Florence Grifiths Joyner (known as "Flo-Jo":

her sprinting/running records (at the Seoul Olympics in the 80's) have yet to be broken-

but she HAD to have been on steroids back then (long before steroid testing was implemented) and afterwards one saw how her physical form subsequently emaciated;

she died at the ripe old age (if read sources are correct) of 45 due to...

a heart attack-

what phsyically fit person at that young age dies of a cardiac arrest?

am just wondering-

Larry

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Daozen (28th December 2017), Hym (28th December 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,035 times in 911 posts

I like that Mercola has finally found this, as many of us have been doing this for a very long time. It is good to see the details of the effects, and it may seem more pronounced when such a popular, well-liked and definitely appreciated health educator finds out a long proven regimen that we've long ago found from following our natural strengths and weaknesses, you know that fun factor we use in determining why and how we exercise the way we do. It seems that it is way too easy to lose that childhood enthusiasm and natural whole body sensibility when a child goes into competitive training, especially in any endurance sport.

Thinking about it, I can see when a child's activity stops becoming sport and becomes something else. Growing up in elementary school it was a sad thing to see how my friends would lose their love, their interest and their real need to keep themselves physically active, all because of social convention and peer pressures. I saw, even at that young age, that many I grew up with would not enjoy their lives as much as if they stayed active, as well as getting sick easier and not living as long as they could have.

There are many benefits from being disciplined, but it is up to coaches, parents and others to offer a perspective on how to stay balanced when you are dedicated to endurance training. Many athletes involved in endurance training, at any age and at any level, will find an increase in enjoyment of the sport, as well as increased performance when they integrate intense, but short duration, interval training into their routines. I'm glad interval training is being promoted by Dr.Mercola and I remember when he first "discovered" it, then not being surprised because of the way he looked up to that point, obviously a long distance runner. Better now then never.

It is interesting he calls his routine an addiction, albeit a healthy one. Because he varies his workout, apparently much more now than primarily as a runner, he may come to the understanding that it tells us a little about the nature of endurance training when it lives off of an unnatural amount of endorphin release, which to me is not a fun way to live. In Mercola's case this is a good thing, as well as for most everyone, but calling it an addiction is, I hope, just a healthy person these days offering an alternative to all of the unhealthy "addictions" one could have. Eating good food is also a healthy habit, but as a teacher I would not call it an addiction. He came from the addiction of the constant and imbalanced nature of endorphin release, which when interrupted creates depression.

This is a good reminder to bring the rest of yourself into your exercise activities. It is fine, at intervals, to get lost in the healthy ozone of exercise but take your awareness into your routine and you'll naturally vary it, with much more enjoyable times as a continuing result.

Because of a serious, mid-teenage injury, with inoperable broken bones, I realized that my endurance training was unnatural and certainly chemically, bio-energetically and emotionally, an addiction. The depression from having no "runner's high" was a shock to my system, but just for a day. Because I had always exercised in unconventional ways, doing a wide variety of exercises, I was able to adjust to the lack of that constant endorphin high by adjusting to exercising in a disabled condition.

In some ways I would consider those with a creative approach to increasing performance, like Zatopek and others, not as long distance runners, but well-balanced athletes whose sometimes activities included racing at a high level. Longevity from engaging your enjoyment in physical activities.
    Last edited by Hym; 30th December 2017 at 20:43.

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 765 posts

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    I don't think the body is built to run that far...
    I read that humans are the most enduring animals, that statement may be true or at least not be far off, In some races/tribes? (cant think of a better word) the hunters would run their prey to exhaustion until it collapsed and then kill it.
    What animals can run non stop like humans? Some dog breeds for sure

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Post:

Hym (30th December 2017)

24. Link to Post #13
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks for the contriobutions everyone. REally enjoying sprinting now. BTW, I sprint on the spot most days.

I\m going to try and keep this thread running for 50 years!

25. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

There seems to be some thing about jogging at least, Kate McCann certainly seems to think so, but that's another conspiracy lol.

Those lifespans don't seem that unusual, bear in mind that runners have a peculiar make up, it's that which makes a good runner, not running that creates the person, the Brownlee brothers aren't a product of training any more than the number of incredible runners that come from Ethiopia.

There is a proclivity to excel at running if you are a particular type of human.

My great grandmother lived to be 103, my grandmother only managed 97, but then she had 10 kids, smoked & lived on barbiturates & whisky, didn't do much running either apparently.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (31st December 2017)

27. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks for the contriobutions everyone. REally enjoying sprinting now. BTW, I sprint on the spot most days.

I'm confused on this one. This "sprint on the spot" or "running in place" is not adequate training... I suppose it's a nice cardiovascular exercise, but it's not working or preparing the legs properly for an actual run or activity which requires you to move mass in a lateral direction. Therefore, I don't see any real benefit in doing this as opposed to actually running . If you're going to train/workout you may as well do the most efficient movements .

28. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Quote Posted by Spiral (here)
    There seems to be some thing about jogging at least, Kate McCann certainly seems to think so, but that's another conspiracy lol.

Those lifespans don't seem that unusual, bear in mind that runners have a peculiar make up, it's that which makes a good runner, not running that creates the person, the Brownlee brothers aren't a product of training any more than the number of incredible runners that come from Ethiopia.

There is a proclivity to excel at running if you are a particular type of human.

My great grandmother lived to be 103, my grandmother only managed 97, but then she had 10 kids, smoked & lived on barbiturates & whisky, didn't do much running either apparently.
    wow, with that genetic, if you run, you'll live to 200.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

GrnEggsNHam (1st January 2018), Spiral (1st January 2018)

30. Link to Post #17
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by GrnEggsNHam (here)

I'm confused on this one. This "sprint on the spot" or "running in place" is not adequate training... I suppose it's a nice cardiovascular exercise, but it's not working or preparing the legs properly for an actual run or activity which requires you to move mass in a lateral direction. Therefore, I don't see any real benefit in doing this as opposed to actually running . If you're going to train/workout you may as well do the most efficient movements .
    Cardio is the most important aspect of exercise for me now. I've got better complexion, more energy, better carb digestion, more libido and better mood from just sprinting on the spot. So it's definitely doing a LOT for me. I'm sure you're right that "real" sprinting is a lot better, so I'll bear that in mind. Cheers.

31. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by GrnEggsNHam (here)

Cardio is the most important aspect of exercise for me now. I've got better complexion, more energy, better carb digestion, more libido and better mood from just sprinting on the spot. So it's definitely doing a LOT for me. I'm sure you're right that "real" sprinting is a lot better, so I'll bear that in mind. Cheers.
    Without more information about your physique I can't attempt to help further. I'm glad to hear increased blood flow has benefited your health, but that's not hard to predict... If cardio is the most important aspect I can recommend a few alternatives to "sprinting" or "running in place". That particular exercise isn't very efficient and was developed by individuals who were confined. Like slaves, prisoners, etc and is not an ideal exercise. It will work but waving your arms around wildly for 20-30m will do the same thing with a bit more effort . The reason it's easier to run in place is because your leg muscles are much larger than the muscles on your arms. They also need more blood and require more Oxygen/blood flow.

I recommend swimming as the preferred cardiovascular exercise. It allows every muscle group to be activated from upper body to core to lower body. While also promoting blood flow and increased oxygen efficiency. If you're swimming traditionally you're training your body to breath every other stroke(even more if you're into it) and this increases the bodies efficient usage of oxygen. Rowing can also be a superb cardiovascular exercise, but I don't subscribe to it so I can't give anymore detail. The gym elliptical is the final alternative and one I'm positive you're already aware if.

32. Link to Post #19
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Quote Posted by Spiral (here)

wow, with that genetic, if you run, you'll live to 200.
    I know you're being facetious, but Spiral never advocated that behavior or implied it helped. Comments like these detract from the testimony. You jumped to that conclusion on your own and then posted as if they were in agreement. I know you think it's just a silly comical comment on a message board, but it's so much more when thousands of people read it. I'm appreciative of the information provided, but it's exactly information like this that beguiled me for so long. However, I'm disappointed Flash. People(guests) make up a major part of this audience and information like that from a respected member does more harm than good. Sorry, for posting this and not doing a PM, I'm lazy and honestly feel the exposure of information will help prevent this in the future.

I'm not a moderator nor do I desire that, but if you place meaningless comments, with no background, in a thread I value I'm going to call you out. It's just my nature, sorry.
    Last edited by GrnEggsNHam; 1st January 2018 at 12:13.

33. Link to Post #20
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

GreenEggsNHam,

My physique: 69 kilos, slim, work out 2-3 times a week. Im sure swimming is excellent, but I am in studying Chinese a lot, or working... so I need an exercise that'll work in a confined space. Pushups, squats, sprinting on the spot etc.

Any alternatives are welcome, Im all ears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast