Thread: The paradox of our time

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default The paradox of our time

. An observation by Dr. Bob Moorehead ... THANKS BILL FOR THE

CORRECTION

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter
    tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less,
    we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more
    conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more
    knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine,
    but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive
    too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little,
    watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much,
    love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life
    not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble
    crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not
    inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but
    not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish
    less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold
    more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and
    less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small
    character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two
    incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of
    quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands,
    overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.
    It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the
    stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when
    you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to
    be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that
    little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only
    treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of
    all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside
    of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not
    be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious
    thoughts in your mind.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but
    by those moments that take our breath away.
    Last edited by ramus; 28th December 2017 at 18:18.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Axman (28th December 2017), Ewan (29th December 2017), jjjones (29th December 2017), Mercedes (29th December 2017), Michi (28th December 2017), Nasu (28th December 2017), Noelle (28th December 2017), Satori (28th December 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,535 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: The paradox of our time

The author of the piece was actually Dr. Bob Moorehead, former pastor of Seattle’s Overlake Christian Church.

This essay appeared under the title “The Paradox of Our Age” in Words Aptly Spoken, Dr. Moorehead’s 1995 collection of prayers, homilies, and monologues used in his sermons and radio broadcasts.

George Carlin disowned it on his website, under the title "Don't Blame Me".
    He wrote:
    One of the more embarrassing items making the internet/e-mail rounds is a sappy load of sh*t called "The Paradox of Our Time." The main problem I have with it is that as true as some of the expressed sentiments may be, who really gives a sh*t? Certainly not me.

I figured out years ago that the human species is totally f*cked and has been for a long time. I also know that the sick, media-consumer culture in America continues to make this so-called problem worse. But the trick, folks, is not to give a f*ck. Like me. I really don't care. I stopped worrying about all this temporal bullsh*t a long time ago. It's meaningless. (See the preface of "Braindroppings.")

Another problem I have with "Paradox" is that the ideas are all expressed in a sort of pseudo-spiritual, New-Age-y, "Gee-whiz-can't-we-do-better-than-this" tone of voice. It's not only bad prose and poetry, it's weak philosophy. I hope I never sound like that.

HOW TO SPOT A FAKE

Here's a rule of thumb, folks: Nothing you see on the Internet is mine unless it came from one of my albums, books, HBO shows, or appeared on my website. If you see something with my name on it, and you really need to find out if it's mine, post a question on my bulletin board. But only if it's really important to you; don't f*ck around with me for a lark.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 28th December 2017 at 18:13.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ewan (29th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (28th December 2017), happyuk (28th December 2017), Ioneo (28th December 2017), Jayke (28th December 2017), jjjones (29th December 2017), Mercedes (29th December 2017), Nasu (28th December 2017), Noelle (28th December 2017), ramus (28th December 2017), Satori (28th December 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,061 times in 2,419 posts

Default Re: The paradox of our time

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    The author of the piece was actually Dr. Bob Moorehead, former pastor of Seattle’s Overlake Christian Church.

This essay appeared under the title “The Paradox of Our Age” in Words Aptly Spoken, Dr. Moorehead’s 1995 collection of prayers, homilies, and monologues used in his sermons and radio broadcasts.

George Carlin disowned it on his website, under the title "Don't Blame Me".
    He wrote:
    One of the more embarrassing items making the internet/e-mail rounds is a sappy load of sh*t called "The Paradox of Our Time." The main problem I have with it is that as true as some of the expressed sentiments may be, who really gives a sh*t? Certainly not me.

I figured out years ago that the human species is totally f*cked and has been for a long time. I also know that the sick, media-consumer culture in America continues to make this so-called problem worse. But the trick, folks, is not to give a f*ck. Like me. I really don't care. I stopped worrying about all this temporal bullsh*t a long time ago. It's meaningless. (See the preface of "Braindroppings.")

Another problem I have with "Paradox" is that the ideas are all expressed in a sort of pseudo-spiritual, New-Age-y, "Gee-whiz-can't-we-do-better-than-this" tone of voice. It's not only bad prose and poetry, it's weak philosophy. I hope I never sound like that.

HOW TO SPOT A FAKE

Here's a rule of thumb, folks: Nothing you see on the Internet is mine unless it came from one of my albums, books, HBO shows, or appeared on my website. If you see something with my name on it, and you really need to find out if it's mine, post a question on my bulletin board. But only if it's really important to you; don't f*ck around with me for a lark.
    I have long suspected that this was not authored by Carlin. But I like the message and wanted to thank ramus for posting it.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th December 2017), Ewan (29th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (28th December 2017), jjjones (29th December 2017), Mercedes (29th December 2017), Nasu (28th December 2017), ramus (28th December 2017), Shadowself (29th December 2017)

+ Reply to Thread