+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "BRIGHT" a new Netflix show about Middle Age Myth creatures in modern society

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,917 times in 4,329 posts

Default "BRIGHT" a new Netflix show about Middle Age Myth creatures in modern society

I'm a tad awestruck right now. In the midst of watching Scott Carpenter videos pertaining to him videoing Sasquatch, Dogman, Dero and other cryptids on his over the shoulder cam that is watching his rear as he walks down trails all on his lonesome in National Parks http://bf-field-journal.blogspot.com/ I at the same time have a youtube window opened with music playing. In the midst of my music videos I'm hit with this trailer for a TV show that looks quite compelling to me.
    About Middle Ages folklore beings which are real and seem recently incorporated into society at large. Video starts off with Will Smith trying to chase a fairly away from his bug zapper with a broom. He is a cop with an orc partner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko
    Last edited by DNA; 4th January 2018 at 02:26.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

astridmari (4th January 2018), beathoven (5th January 2018), Cidersomerset (4th January 2018), Daozen (4th January 2018), Ecnal61 (4th January 2018), petra (4th January 2018), Zampano (4th January 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 times in 371 posts

Default Re: "BRIGHT" a new Netflix show about Middle Age Myth creatures in modern society

I saw it. Loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but this was kinda stupid.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

beathoven (4th January 2018), Cidersomerset (4th January 2018), DNA (4th January 2018), Nasu (4th January 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: "BRIGHT" a new Netflix show about Middle Age Myth creatures in modern society

Quote Posted by neutronstar (here)
    Seeing Will Smith in this role reminded me of the MIB movies.
    I couldn't help but to think that where MIB was trying to inject the idea of aliens living among us into the collective unconscious this seems to be that interdimensional beings may live among us.
    I haven't watched the actual show yet but I hope it has some merit.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Cidersomerset (4th January 2018), petra (4th January 2018), TargeT (4th January 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    I hope it has some merit.
    I lost all hope of this when I saw Will Smith.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lloyds For This Post:

Cidersomerset (4th January 2018), DNA (4th January 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 times in 438 posts

Quote Posted by lloyds (here)
    I hope it has some merit.
    I lost all hope of this when I saw Will Smith.
    Why is that?
    (Are you a troll?)
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

11. Link to Post #6
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Critics called it "the worst movie of 2017"

But Netflix is making a sequel...? (oh, it's the highest reviewed movie during first week of release on netflix by USERS).

I have yet to watch it, but want to.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Cidersomerset (4th January 2018), DNA (4th January 2018), petra (4th January 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,899 times in 15,481 posts

My summary: If you like Faeries of Fairy tales lore, then you are a fricking bug-lover piece of s**t; and, if you hate reptilian-looking creatures, then you are a fricking unrecoverable racist piece of...

Last edited by Hervé; 4th January 2018 at 13:59.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

beathoven (5th January 2018), Bob (5th January 2018), Cidersomerset (4th January 2018), DNA (4th January 2018), Navigator (5th January 2018), Pam (5th January 2018), petra (4th January 2018), TargeT (4th January 2018), thunder24 (4th January 2018), william r sanford72 (4th January 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    My summary: If you like Faeries of Fairy tales lore, then you are a fricking bug-lover piece of s**t; and, if you hate reptilians-looking creatures, then you are a fricking unrecoverable racist piece of...
    so it's a shame-blame-guilt motif veiled in fantasy lore?

Sad, but predictable.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Cidersomerset (4th January 2018), DNA (4th January 2018), gaiagirl (4th January 2018), Hervé (4th January 2018), Navigator (5th January 2018), petra (4th January 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Hey it's Will Smith!!

Kinda stupid, hm? I like stupid stuff, maybe I'll give it a shot. I like being awestruck too, and I LOVE Will Smith.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Cidersomerset (4th January 2018), DNA (4th January 2018), findingneo (5th January 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

Critics hated it and many viewers loved... Interested to see it definitely.

I couldn't help but to think that where MIB was trying to inject the idea of aliens living among us into the collective unconscious this seems to be that interdimensional beings may live among us.
    Loved that movie too and still do, especially the first one.

Definitely some soft disclosure going on there and that was 20 years ago!

Last edited by Wind; 4th January 2018 at 17:47.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

21. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,109 times in 2,424 posts

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    Critics hated it and many viewers loved... Interested to see it definitely.

Loved that movie too and still do, especially the first one.

Definitely some soft disclosure going on there and that was 20 years ago!

I feel the need to point something out about the "bench scene" from MIB. The video in post #10 does not show what I'm about to describe because it ends before what I'm going to describe begins. I'm referring to a connection between MIB and the felling of the Twin Towers on 9/11. I'm not suggesting foreknowledge or complicity by anyone involved in the movie MIB. I'm simply sharing something I found interesting.

So here it is:

In the scene that begins with them sitting on the bench, Tommy Lee Jones walks off and leaves Will Smith sitting alone to ponder whether to join MIB. He sits there for a while as the sun sets. The camera pans across the bay from W Smith and we clearly see the Twin Towers just across the bay as the sun sets and the camera fades the Twin Towers away. In the immediate next scene, as the sun rises, we now see that where the Twin Towers stood within the frame in the previous scene, there are now two industrial smoke stacks bellowing smoke out of them. The Twin Towers are gone. These smoke stacks stand in the frame right where the Twin Towers stood before the camera faded. The smoke stacks remain in the frame for awhile. Then, the scene cuts from the smoke stacks to the truck being driven by the Bug. This is the van that the Bug had taken from the pest control guy. It is the Bug that the MIB team is after.

If you recall, on the morning of 9/11 in NY, and since, people have come forward providing credible evidence of the so-called 5 dancing Israelis and the van that they were driving; a van depicting the Twin Towers and their destruction painted on the sides.

When I was watching MIB a few years ago, that scene registered with me, whereas it had not before. When it registered with me, I could not help but feel that there is something to the van and its occupants and their role in 9/11.

All of the foregoing is for what it's worth, which probably isn't much.

Back to topic concerning the movie BRIGHT, coincidentally enough I started to watch it last night. I got about 3/4 of the way through before I decided I needed to hit the sack. I'm going to finish it tonight. But, I will say that I find the movie very disturbing on many levels. I don't like it, but I'm going to watch it to the end.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Bob (5th January 2018), Cidersomerset (4th January 2018), DNA (5th January 2018), Hervé (4th January 2018), Kristin (5th January 2018), ThePythonicCow (5th January 2018), Wind (4th January 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

I just finished watching and it was a fun fantasy romp , it looked like it would
    of made a better TV series like the Shannara chronicles and many other recent
    shows that have been aired in all genres and adapted from novels that were
    not easily made before but with better CGI there are some excellent series
    among the usual dross.....

The Shannara Chronicles Explained: History
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9FgK3-OGbg
    Published on 11 Apr 2017

INDEPENDENT.....

Bright 2 confirmed by Netflix, Will Smith and Joel Edgerton to return

David Ayer expected to come back as director
    Jack Shepherd |
    @JackJShepherd |
    23 hours ago|

Despite the widely negative reviews, Bright has quickly broken numerous
    Netflix records, becoming the highest viewed original film ever on the
    streaming service in its first week of release.As was highly publicised
    before release, Netflix has already scheduled a sequel, something that
    has now been officially confirmed.

Alongside the announcement, Netflix released a video featuring two orcs
    pretending to audition for the upcoming sequel — Joel Edgerton plays the
    leading orc in the original.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8140361.html
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 4th January 2018 at 23:49.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

DNA (5th January 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by neutronstar (here)
    Yes, this was a stupid movie. I´m not picky but I just waisted two hours watching shooting and killing - not much of a story line behind it at all. There are more interesting Sci-fi/Fantasy movies on NetFlix, I´ve seen most of them. I like the genre but this one was too stupid even for me.
    Last edited by beathoven; 5th January 2018 at 00:01.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beathoven For This Post:

Cidersomerset (5th January 2018), DNA (5th January 2018), findingneo (5th January 2018), Satori (5th January 2018)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Quote Quote Posted by neutronstar (here)
    Yes, this was a stupid movie. I´m not picky but I just waisted two hours watching
    shooting and killing - not much of a story line behind it at all. There is more
    interesting Sci-fi/Fantasy movies on NetFlix, I´ve seen most of them. I like the
    genre but this one was too stupid even for me.
    Yeah thats the point I was making,the concept was not a bad idea , the execution
    was probably 5 out of 10 being generous. I have watched a lot of scy -fy , fantasy
    shows over the past decade and shows like Vikings , GOT, Westworld, Black sails
    Travellers the Expanse , Fringe have stood out and there are a lot of others
    sliding down the scale.......

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

beathoven (5th January 2018), DNA (5th January 2018), Satori (5th January 2018)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

I tried to watch it, but I found it intolerable on many levels. It was so poorly scripted, the acting was horrible and the thing was just an embarrassment. I'm not sure what the problem is. Has every conceivable story already been told or are many of us just so dumbed down that we will watch anything? I'm not sure, but I would much rather stare at a wall than finish watching that poor excuse for entertainment.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

beathoven (5th January 2018), Bob (5th January 2018), Cidersomerset (5th January 2018), DNA (5th January 2018), Flash (5th January 2018), Nasu (5th January 2018), Satori (5th January 2018)

31. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Just watched Bright.
    Loved it.
    I was in disbelief with how good it was.
    Most modern movies, well they suck on so many levels, Bright could have been better but their ability to make me relate and as such care about the characters was done very well.
    I'm not sure what folks were expecting, but this movie was something I would absolutely recommend.
    They did an excellent job of creating a contemporary setting for an age old mythos.
    The ending was a bit of a let down, but endings are the hardest part and easiest part to mess up for a movie.
    I was pleasantly entertained throughout the movie.
    Last edited by DNA; 5th January 2018 at 06:17.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Cidersomerset (5th January 2018), TargeT (8th January 2018)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 times in 436 posts

Thanks for the reviews. I haven't watched it--and not inspired to do so. I am not interested in shoot-ups and more violence entering my psyche. I don't wish to be entertained, I wish to be transformed.
    At night, I would rather listen to a good interview or read an inspiring book that speaks to my soul.
    At day, I would rather be in Nature.
    I am thankful for choice.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lunaflare For This Post:

Basho (7th January 2018), beathoven (5th January 2018), Cidersomerset (5th January 2018), DNA (6th January 2018), East Sun (7th January 2018), Michi (5th January 2018), Satori (5th January 2018)

35. Link to Post #18
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 times in 476 posts

I am getting very tired of movies where everyone is a narcissist, except the victims, and they have to get nasty to survive. It looks to me like movies are priming everyone these days to be selfish, self centered, gun wielding, greedy, or you don't survive. I feel like Hollywood is trying to train folk to be like this. Where are the lovely, feel good, loving movies that connect on a soul level with each other and nature? Last movie I saw that had a hint of that was in "Arrival". I would think that was all this world was about if I was a teenager growing up now. No wonder there are so many young people with depression, anxiety and a feeling of hopelessness for the human race. Stop writing so much horrible stuff because it is in high demand, and be responsible and give our youth hope, and love, movie script writers, and a bit of bar to look up to, not trip over.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

beathoven (5th January 2018), DNA (6th January 2018), MorningFox (5th January 2018), Pam (5th January 2018), Satori (5th January 2018), Spiral (7th January 2018)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Quote Posted by findingneo (here)
    I am getting very tired of movies where everyone is a narcissist, except the victims, and they have to get nasty to survive. It looks to me like movies are priming everyone these days to be selfish, self centered, gun wielding, greedy, or you don't survive. I feel like Hollywood is trying to train folk to be like this. Where are the lovely, feel good, loving movies that connect on a soul level with each other and nature? Last movie I saw that had a hint of that was in "Arrival". I would think that was all this world was about if I was a teenager growing up now. No wonder there are so many young people with depression, anxiety and a feeling of hopelessness for the human race. Stop writing so much horrible stuff because it is in high demand, and be responsible and give our youth hope, and love, movie script writers, and a bit of bar to look up to, not trip over.
    \

I know I'm a bit off topic here, but your thoughtful post got me thinking. One of the trends in Hollywood movies that I find most disturbing is the portrayal of kids in the movies.
    Most of the kids are portrayed as smart mouthed, know it all's with little or no respect for adults. When kids see this type of portrayal in about 80% of movies and shows how is that going to effect them?
    Now that I think of it, that's the way they portray most of adults as well. It seems to me that this type of portrayal started out as a novelty and became standard fare. Just what we need a nation of know it alls.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

beathoven (7th January 2018), DNA (6th January 2018), findingneo (7th January 2018)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

No, not a troll.

I just can't stand will smith.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lloyds For This Post:

beathoven (7th January 2018), Spiral (7th January 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast