Thread: Current Wikileaks and Assange News & Releases

1. Link to Post #221
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,648 times in 5,520 posts

Default Re: Current Wikileaks and Assange News & Releases

For context: David Leigh, former Guardian editor.

From Kristinn Hrafnsson
    "David Leigh again dismisses his responsibility for the release of the unredacted cables. He posted a password for its encrypted file - in his book. Now claims Assange told him the password was temporary. Leigh himself writes in his book about a temporary WEBSITE. Not the same."
    Link: https://twitter.com/khrafnsson/statu...04629314572289

And on Julian's treatment from day 2 of the hearing, even the legendary and highly respected BBC broadcaster and correspondent John Simpson appears aghast:

John Simpson
    @JohnSimpsonNews
    ·
    21h
    "If it’s true, as Julian Assange’s lawyers say, that his prison wardens have handcuffed him 11 times, forced him to strip naked twice, & confiscated his case notes, this sounds like vindictiveness & is completely unacceptable."
    Link: https://twitter.com/JohnSimpsonNews/...28141273780230

Last edited by Tintin; 26th February 2020 at 16:17.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (26th February 2020), Franny (26th February 2020), Innocent Warrior (28th February 2020), mountain_jim (29th February 2020), onawah (26th February 2020), Pam (26th February 2020)

3. Link to Post #222
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,585 times in 5,817 posts

Bear in mind, as you read the account of this overtly kangaroo court and the physical abuse and legal abuse inflicted upon Julian Assange, that this is DIRECTLY from Donald Trump, hero of the thoroughly brainwashed "patriots", and pseudo-fighter of the Deep State that Julian Assange actually unmasked. Never lose sight of the actual facts, the truth.

(Mods, not to worry, the people I'm blasting don't even read this thread nor care about Julian Assange, because they were told by "Republican Agent Q" not to care, and because "some Democrats are going to go down, just wait and see...", and they have abandoned any semblance of discernment and blocked the obvious reality in their political partisan fury.)

MOD Note: No worry here at all Dennis, trust us. Keep up the splendid work out there (Tintin)
    Last edited by Tintin; 26th February 2020 at 16:23.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Franny (26th February 2020), onawah (26th February 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020), Tintin (26th February 2020)

5. Link to Post #223
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,054 times in 1,753 posts

Quote Posted by Praxis (here)
    Another fork in the road: You either support Julian Assange or Donald Trump.

It is not possible to do both any longer. These two things are antithetical to each other.

Trump, could, right now as CEO of the United States drop all the charges against Assange and see Julian free which is what should happen.

Julian Assange does a public service that allows us to know things we wouldnt otherwise. Attacks on journalist and whistleblowers should not be tolerated, ESPECIALLY here at Avalon.

I for one stand with Julian Assange and hope that others on this board too.
    It is hard not to suspect Trump of forging a deal with his military intelligence keepers-he professed to 'love Wikileaks' back in his campaign highlights of 2016, perhaps now his survival politically depends on his renouncing Assange. However this has not yet played out, Julian has not yet been totally betrayed by the U.K establishment, they are under a lot of public pressure. Plus there is an anti-Trump element amongst the U.K/City of London team who were complicit in the Steele Dossier rubbish, this is a complex chess board and Trump I sense is but a major piece being moved, I don;t think he holds much love personally for the intelligence communities dominated by the left side of politics (the climate change/carbon tax/U.N connection). I am seeing how this finally falls out, there is much to be revealed.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), mountain_jim (29th February 2020), onawah (26th February 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020), Tintin (26th February 2020)

7. Link to Post #224
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

Quote Posted by Mike Gorman (here)
    Quote Posted by Praxis (here)
    Another fork in the road: You either support Julian Assange or Donald Trump.

It is not possible to do both any longer. These two things are antithetical to each other.

Trump, could, right now as CEO of the United States drop all the charges against Assange and see Julian free which is what should happen.

Julian Assange does a public service that allows us to know things we wouldnt otherwise. Attacks on journalist and whistleblowers should not be tolerated, ESPECIALLY here at Avalon.

I for one stand with Julian Assange and hope that others on this board too.
    It is hard not to suspect Trump of forging a deal with his military intelligence keepers-he professed to 'love Wikileaks' back in his campaign highlights of 2016, perhaps now his survival politically depends on his renouncing Assange. However this has not yet played out, Julian has not yet been totally betrayed by the U.K establishment, they are under a lot of public pressure. Plus there is an anti-Trump element amongst the U.K/City of London team who were complicit in the Steele Dossier rubbish, this is a complex chess board and Trump I sense is but a major piece being moved, I don;t think he holds much love personally for the intelligence communities dominated by the left side of politics (the climate change/carbon tax/U.N connection). I am seeing how this finally falls out, there is much to be revealed.
    I am curious as to which ones you would put under this label?
    I would consider myself knowledgeable about the US IC and there is no part of it I would label as left side of politics. I can't point to an organization within the NSA, CIA, NRO, DIA, NGA, DSCA, FBI, etc. that I would classify as left leaning. Quite the contrary. This is also backed up with programs and directors with obvious agendas(allen dulles for example but also Bobby Ray Inman who is on the board of Acadmi Services(what was Blackwater).

All I have to do to prove my point is link part one of the Church Committee report and it lays the perfect foundation. Then I introduce the phoenix program( thanks Douglas Valentine) and then round off with Iran Contra. Then there is 9-11 and all the subsequent nonsense.

Where in this malaise of neo ideologies(neo con, neo liberal) do you find left leaning tendencies? Yes the CIA funded abstract art. No that does not count.
    Last edited by Praxis; 26th February 2020 at 19:11.

8. Link to Post #225
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,320 times in 2,100 posts

While Trump dishes out pardons to others, Assange is left to twist in the wind

Kurt Nimmo
    Another Day in the Empire
    Fri, 22 Jun 2018 00:00 UTC

It was a fool's errand.

On the day Donald Trump was elected his supporters asked him to pardon the founder and frontman of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange. They flooded social media demanding Assange be allowed to leave the Ecuadorian embassy in London without arrest and extradition to the United States.

Stone silence from Trump and his administration.

A few months before the election, WikiLeaks released a searchable archive of over 30,000 emails and attachments taken from Hillary Clinton's not-so private email server.

Trump held no aversion to exploiting the emails. He called them the Crooked Hillary emails and said they endangered the national security of the United States.

Democrats called foul, said Assange had colluded with Putin and the Russians.

In April, they filed a lawsuit in federal court against the Russian government, the Trump campaign, and WikiLeaks. They argue there was a widespread conspiracy to swing the 2016 election.

They have zero evidence of this. Evidence is no longer required. Accusations alone now serve to take down leaders and destroy careers.

Julian Assange and WikiLeaks are no longer of use to Donald Trump.

He dished out pardons to ex-Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio and neocon leaker Scooter Libby. Trump mulled other pardons, including a posthumous one for Muhammad Ali to wipe out his draft dodging conviction. It was reported in June Trump insiders are pushing to pardon the junk bond king Michael Milken and reverse his conviction on securities fraud. The Milken pardon is being pushed by Goldman Sachs alumnus and current Treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin and Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

Meanwhile, Julian Assange is left to twist in the wind.

Both Trump's attorney general and his former CIA director, now secretary of state Mike Pompeo want Assange extradited to the United States where he will face trial and possible execution for espionage.

AG Jeff Sessions said the arrest and prosecution of Assange is a priority for the United States government, while Pompeo denounced him as a "hostile intelligence service," never mind he had no problem using the Clinton emails to accuse the DNC of sabotaging the Bernie Sanders campaign.

The US has leaned heavy on Ecuador.

Following a meeting with General Joseph DiSalvo of the Southern Command-ostensibly to discuss "security cooperation"-Ecuadorian president Lenín Moreno rolled back security at the embassy and denied Assange access to family, friends, and doctors. They also shut down his internet connection.

This week Ecuador's Foreign Minister Jose Valencia said his government working on an "exit" plan to remove Assange from the embassy where he has lived the past six years. Valencia told the Associated Press the plan would be "one that encourages an exit, that we do not want to be traumatic... we do not want it to be an exit that may cause dissonance with international law."

Moreno said Assange interfered in Ecuador's relationship with other countries by tweeting on political events. He also lamented the "nuisance" of Assange's political asylum and said the Australian whistleblower is an "inherited problem" left over from the previous administration.

Moreno's government granted Assange citizenship in a hope diplomatic immunity would be granted and he would leave the embassy. Assange knows better than to fall for this. Immunity or no, he will be arrested the minute he walks out of the embassy.

Activist and filmmaker John Pilger took the Left to task for abandoning Assange. "There is a silence among many who call themselves left," he said in a statement. "The silence is Julian Assange. As every false accusation has fallen away, every bogus smear shown to be the work of political enemies, Julian stands vindicated as one who has exposed a system that threatens humanity."

For the establishment, it's imperative Assange be arrested, extradited, and brought up on espionage charges in the United States. The message will be priceless, the chilling effect invaluable.

The dirty secrets of war, political subterfuge, election fixing, and assorted other crimes and misdeeds are not for public consumption.

The release of the Collateral Damage video and the war logs of Afghanistan and Iraq should have resulted in a larger and more active antiwar movement. This didn't happen.

Liberal and leftist opposition to war only occurs when a Republican sits in the Oval Office. Obama effectively destroyed what remained of the Bush era antiwar movement. Eights year of Obama worked like a lobotomy on the Left.

Democrats supported Hillary Clinton's war on the people of Libya. They didn't have a problem when she arranged weapons collected from the battlefields of Libya to be sent by the CIA to the "rebels" in Syria.

Democrats call for overthrowing Bashar al-Assad in Syria. They believe Russia got Trump elected and Vladimir Putin spreads lies and false news to undermine and destroy our democracy. Large NGOs, foundations, and think tanks are pushing this nonsense.

Due mostly to indoctrination as a result of public education and a herd mentality inculcated by leaders and media, it is a relatively easy task for the financial oligarchy and its corporate partners to brainwash the public. It now disguises war and conquest as humanitarianism.

I'm old enough to remember when millions of Americans praised Daniel Ellsberg for releasing the Pentagon Papers. That was then, this is now. Now liberals and progressives want to string up whistleblowers, same as their conservative Republican and neocon counterparts.

Gore Vidal said America suffers from amnesia.

Americans are largely blind to the war and financial crimes perpetuated in their name. Part of this is the result of indoctrination through propaganda media, but to a large degree Americans are incurious and unbothered by the criminality of their leaders and institutions.

Most don't care Julian Assange is a dead man walking.

They are unable to see the criminal state for what it is-a global Mafia operation that shakes down entire continents and wages wars of conquest and pillage for profit.

Quote The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.

- George Orwell
    Full List of Presidential Pardons
    A million galaxies are a little foam on that shoreless sea. ~ Rumi

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (26th February 2020), Icare (1st March 2020), Innocent Warrior (28th February 2020), mountain_jim (29th February 2020), onawah (27th February 2020), Pam (26th February 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020), Tintin (27th February 2020)

10. Link to Post #226
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Your Man in the Public Gallery – The Assange Hearing Day 3
    By Craig Murray

In yesterday’s proceedings in court, the prosecution adopted arguments so stark and apparently unreasonable I have been fretting on how to write them up in a way that does not seem like caricature or unfair exaggeration on my part. What has been happening in this court has long moved beyond caricature. All I can do is give you my personal assurance that what I recount actually is what happened.

As usual, I shall deal with procedural matters and Julian’s treatment first, before getting in to a clear account of the legal arguments made.

Vanessa Baraitser is under a clear instruction to mimic concern by asking, near the end of every session just before we break anyway, if Julian is feeling well and whether he would like a break. She then routinely ignores his response. Yesterday he replied at some length he could not hear properly in his glass box and could not communicate with his lawyers (at some point yesterday they had started preventing him passing notes to his counsel, which I learn was the background to the aggressive prevention of his shaking Garzon’s hand goodbye).

Baraitser insisted he might only be heard through his counsel, which given he was prevented from instructing them was a bit rich. This being pointed out, we had a ten minute adjournment while Julian and his counsel were allowed to talk down in the cells – presumably where they could be more conveniently bugged yet again.

On return, Edward Fitzgerald made a formal application for Julian to be allowed to sit beside his lawyers in the court. Julian was “a gentle, intellectual man” and not a terrorist. Baraitser replied that releasing Assange from the dock into the body of the court would mean he was released from custody. To achieve that would require an application for bail.

Again, the prosecution counsel James Lewis intervened on the side of the defence to try to make Julian’s treatment less extreme. He was not, he suggested diffidently, quite sure that it was correct that it required bail for Julian to be in the body of the court, or that being in the body of the court accompanied by security officers meant that a prisoner was no longer in custody. Prisoners, even the most dangerous of terrorists, gave evidence from the witness box in the body of the court nest to the lawyers and magistrate. In the High Court prisoners frequently sat with their lawyers in extradition hearings, in extreme cases of violent criminals handcuffed to a security officer.

Baraitser replied that Assange might pose a danger to the public. It was a question of health and safety. How did Fitzgerald and Lewis think that she had the ability to carry out the necessary risk assessment? It would have to be up to Group 4 to decide if this was possible.

Yes, she really did say that. Group 4 would have to decide.

Baraitser started to throw out jargon like a Dalek when it spins out of control. “Risk assessment” and “health and safety” featured a lot. She started to resemble something worse than a Dalek, a particularly stupid local government officer of a very low grade. “No jurisdiction” – “Up to Group 4”. Recovering slightly, she stated firmly that delivery to custody can only mean delivery to the dock of the court, nowhere else in the room. If the defence wanted him in the courtroom where he could hear proceedings better, they could only apply for bail and his release from custody in general. She then peered at both barristers in the hope this would have sat them down, but both were still on their feet.

In his diffident manner (which I confess is growing on me) Lewis said “the prosecution is neutral on this request, of course but, err, I really don’t think that’s right”. He looked at her like a kindly uncle whose favourite niece has just started drinking tequila from the bottle at a family party.

Baraitser concluded the matter by stating that the Defence should submit written arguments by 10am tomorrow on this point, and she would then hold a separate hearing into the question of Julian’s position in the court.

The day had begun with a very angry Magistrate Baraitser addressing the public gallery. Yesterday, she said, a photo had been taken inside the courtroom. It was a criminal offence to take or attempt to take photographs inside the courtroom. Vanessa Baraitser looked at this point very keen to lock someone up. She also seemed in her anger to be making the unfounded assumption that whoever took the photo from the public gallery on Tuesday was still there on Wednesday; I suspect not. Being angry at the public at random must be very stressful for her. I suspect she shouts a lot on trains.

Ms Baraitser is not fond of photography – she appears to be the only public figure in Western Europe with no photo on the internet. Indeed the average proprietor of a rural car wash has left more evidence of their existence and life history on the internet than Vanessa Baraitser. Which is no crime on her part, but I suspect the expunging is not achieved without considerable effort. Somebody suggested to me she might be a hologram, but I think not. Holograms have more empathy.

I was amused by the criminal offence of attempting to take photos in the courtroom. How incompetent would you need to be to attempt to take a photo and fail to do so? And if no photo was taken, how do they prove you were attempting to take one, as opposed to texting your mum? I suppose “attempting to take a photo” is a crime that could catch somebody arriving with a large SLR, tripod and several mounted lighting boxes, but none of those appeared to have made it into the public gallery.

Baraitser did not state whether it was a criminal offence to publish a photograph taken in a courtroom (or indeed to attempt to publish a photograph taken in a courtroom). I suspect it is. Anyway Le Grand Soir has published a translation of my report yesterday, and there you can see a photo of Julian in his bulletproof glass anti-terrorist cage. Not, I hasten to add, taken by me.

We now come to the consideration of yesterday’s legal arguments on the extradition request itself. Fortunately, these are basically fairly simple to summarise, because although we had five hours of legal disquisition, it largely consisted of both sides competing in citing scores of “authorities”, e.g. dead judges, to endorse their point of view, and thus repeating the same points continually with little value from exegesis of the innumerable quotes.

As prefigured yesterday by magistrate Baraitser, the prosecution is arguing that Article 4.1 of the UK/US extradition treaty has no force in law.

(Linked here in the library)

The UK and US Governments say that the court enforces domestic law, not international law, and therefore the treaty has no standing. This argument has been made to the court in written form to which I do not have access. But from discussion in court it was plain that the prosecution argue that the Extradition Act of 2003, under which the court is operating, makes no exception for political offences. All previous Extradition Acts had excluded extradition for political offences, so it must be the intention of the sovereign parliament that political offenders can now be extradited.

Opening his argument, Edward Fitzgerald QC argued that the Extradition Act of 2003 alone is not enough to make an actual extradition. The extradition requires two things in place; the general Extradition Act and the Extradition Treaty with the country or countries concerned. “No Treaty, No Extradition” was an unbreakable rule. The Treaty was the very basis of the request. So to say that the extradition was not governed by the terms of the very treaty under which it was made, was to create a legal absurdity and thus an abuse of process. He cited examples of judgements made by the House of Lords and Privy Council where treaty rights were deemed enforceable despite the lack of incorporation into domestic legislation, particularly in order to stop people being extradited to potential execution from British colonies.

Fitzgerald pointed out that while the Extradition Act of 2003 did not contain a bar on extraditions for political offences, it did not state there could not be such a bar in extradition treaties. And the extradition treaty of 2007 was ratified after the 2003 extradition act.

At this stage Baraitser interrupted that it was plain the intention of parliament was that there could be extradition for political offences. Otherwise they would not have removed the bar in previous legislation. Fitzgerald declined to agree, saying the Act did not say extradition for political offences could not be banned by the treaty enabling extradition.

Fitzgerald then continued to say that international jurisprudence had accepted for a century or more that you did not extradite political offenders. No political extradition was in the European Convention on Extradition, the Model United Nations Extradition Treaty and the Interpol Convention on Extradition. It was in every single one of the United States’ extradition treaties with other countries, and had been for over a century, at the insistence of the United States. For both the UK and US Governments to say it did not apply was astonishing and would set a terrible precedent that would endanger dissidents and potential political prisoners from China, Russia and regimes all over the world who had escaped to third countries.

Fitzgerald stated that all major authorities agreed there were two types of political offence. The pure political offence and the relative political offence. A “pure” political offence was defined as treason, espionage or sedition. A “relative” political offence was an act which was normally criminal, like assault or vandalism, conducted with a political motive. Every one of the charges against Assange was a “pure” political offence. All but one were espionage charges, and the computer misuse charge had been compared by the prosecution to breach of the official secrets act to meet the dual criminality test. The overriding accusation that Assange was seeking to harm the political and military interests of the United States was in the very definition of a political offence in all the authorities.

In reply Lewis stated that a treaty could not be binding in English law unless specifically incorporated in English law by Parliament. This was a necessary democratic defence. Treaties were made by the executive which could not make law. This went to the sovereignty of Parliament. Lewis quoted many judgements stating that international treaties signed and ratified by the UK could not be enforced in British courts. “It may come as a surprise to other countries that their treaties with the British government can have no legal force” he joked.

Lewis said there was no abuse of process here and thus no rights were invoked under the European Convention. It was just the normal operation of the law that the treaty provision on no extradition for political offences had no legal standing.

Lewis said that the US government disputes that Assange’s offences are political. In the UK/Australia/US there was a different definition of political offence to the rest of the world. We viewed the “pure” political offences of treason, espionage and sedition as not political offences. Only “relative” political offences – ordinary crimes committed with a political motive – were viewed as political offences in our tradition. In this tradition, the definition of “political” was also limited to supporting a contending political party in a state. Lewis will continue with this argument tomorrow.

That concludes my account of proceedings.

I have some important commentary to make on this and will try to do another posting later today. Now rushing to court.

With grateful thanks to those who donated or subscribed to make this reporting possible.

This article is entirely free to reproduce and publish, including in translation, and I very much hope people will do so actively. Truth shall set us free.
    Last edited by Tintin; 27th February 2020 at 12:33.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (27th February 2020), Franny (28th February 2020), Icare (1st March 2020), Innocent Warrior (28th February 2020), mountain_jim (29th February 2020), onawah (27th February 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020), Satori (27th February 2020)

12. Link to Post #227
    Language
    English
    Thanks

"Fitzgerald [for the defence] replied that the entire extradition request is on the basis of the treaty. It is an abuse of process for the authorities to rely on the treaty for the application but then to claim that its provisions do not apply."

“On the face of it, it is a very bizarre argument that a treaty which gives rise to the extradition, on which the extradition is founded, can be disregarded in its provisions. It is on the face of it absurd.”

---------------

Your Man in the Public Gallery – Assange Hearing Day 4
    By Craig Murray

Please try this experiment for me.

Try asking this question out loud, in a tone of intellectual interest and engagement: “Are you suggesting that the two have the same effect?”.

Now try asking this question out loud, in a tone of hostility and incredulity bordering on sarcasm: “Are you suggesting that the two have the same effect?”.

Firstly, congratulations on your acting skills, you take direction very well. Secondly, is it not fascinating how precisely the same words can convey the opposite meaning dependent on modulation of stress, pitch, and volume?

Yesterday the prosecution continued its argument that the provision in the 2007 UK/US Extradition Treaty that bars extradition for political offences is a dead letter, and that Julian Assange’s objectives are not political in any event. James Lewis QC for the prosecution spoke for about an hour, and Edward Fitzgerald QC replied for the defence for about the same time. During Lewis’ presentation, he was interrupted by Judge Baraitser precisely once. During Fitzgerald’s reply, Baraitser interjected seventeen times.

In the transcript, those interruptions will not look unreasonable:
    “Could you clarify that for me Mr Fitzgerald…”
    “So how do you cope with Mr Lewis’s point that…”
    “But surely that’s a circular argument…”
    “But it’s not incorporated, is it?…”

All these and the other dozen interruptions were designed to appear to show the judge attempting to clarify the defence’s argument in a spirit of intellectual testing. But if you heard the tone of Baraitser’s voice, saw her body language and facial expressions, it was anything but.

The false picture a transcript might give is exacerbated by the courtly Fitzgerald’s continually replying to each obvious harassment with “Thank you Madam, that is very helpful”, which again if you were there, plainly meant the opposite. But what a transcript will helpfully nevertheless show was the bully pulpit of Baraitser’s tactic in interrupting Fitzgerald again and again and again, belittling his points and very deliberately indeed preventing him from getting into the flow of his argument. The contrast in every way with her treatment of Lewis could not be more pronounced.

So now to report the legal arguments themselves.

James Lewis for the prosecution, continuing his arguments from the day before, said that Parliament had not included a bar on extradition for political offences in the 2003 Act. It could therefore not be reintroduced into law by a treaty. “To introduce a Political Offences bar by the back door would be to subvert the intention of Parliament.”

Lewis also argued that these were not political offences. The definition of a political offence was in the UK limited to behaviour intended “to overturn or change a government or induce it to change its policy.” Furthermore the aim must be to change government or policy in the short term, not the indeterminate future.

Lewis stated that further the term “political offence” could only be applied to offences committed within the territory where it was attempted to make the change. So to be classified as political offences, Assange would have had to commit them within the territory of the USA, but he did not.

If Baraitser did decide the bar on political offences applied, the court would have to determine the meaning of “political offence” in the UK/US Extradition Treaty and construe the meaning of paragraphs 4.1 and 4.2 of the Treaty. To construe the terms of an international treaty was beyond the powers of the court.

Lewis perorated that the conduct of Julian Assange cannot possibly be classfied as a political offence. “It is impossible to place Julian Assange in the position of a political refugee”. The activity in which Wikileaks was engaged was not in its proper meaning political opposition to the US Administration or an attempt to overthrow that administration. Therefore the offence was not political.

For the defence Edward Fitzgerald replied that the 2003 Extradition Act was an enabling act under which treaties could operate. Parliament had been concerned to remove any threat of abuse of the political offence bar to cover terrorist acts of violence against innocent civilians. But there remained a clear protection, accepted worldwide, for peaceful political dissent. This was reflected in the Extradition Treaty on the basis of which the court was acting.

Baraitser interrupted that the UK/US Extradition Treaty was not incorporated into English Law.

Fitzgerald replied that the entire extradition request is on the basis of the treaty. It is an abuse of process for the authorities to rely on the treaty for the application but then to claim that its provisions do not apply.
    “On the face of it, it is a very bizarre argument that a treaty which gives rise to the extradition, on which the extradition is founded, can be disregarded in its provisions. It is on the face of it absurd.” Edward Fitzgerald QC for the Defence.
    Fitzgerald added that English Courts construe treaties all the time. He gave examples.

Fitzgerald went on that the defence did not accept that treason, espionage and sedition were not regarded as political offences in England. But even if one did accept Lewis’s too narrow definition of political offence, Assange’s behaviour still met the test. What on earth could be the motive of publishing evidence of government war crimes and corruption, other than to change the policy of the government? Indeed, the evidence would prove that Wikileaks had effectively changed the policy of the US government, particularly on Iraq.

Baraitser interjected that to expose government wrongdoing was not the same thing as to try to change government policy. Fitzgerald asked her, finally in some exasperation after umpteen interruptions, what other point could there be in exposing government wrongdoing other than to induce a change in government policy?

That concluded opening arguments for the prosecution and defence.

MY PERSONAL COMMENTARY

Let me put this as neutrally as possible. If you could fairly state that Lewis’s argument was much more logical, rational and intuitive than Fitzgerald’s, you could understand why Lewis did not need an interruption while Fitzgerald had to be continually interrupted for “clarification”. But in fact it was Lewis who was making out the case that the provisions of the very treaty under which the extradition is being made, do not in fact apply, a logical step which I suggest the man on the Clapham omnibus might reason to need rather more testing than Fitzgerald’s assertion to the contrary. Baraitser’s comparative harassment of Fitzgerald when he had the prosecution on the ropes was straight out of the Stalin show trial playbook.

The defence did not mention it, and I do not know if it features in their written arguments, but I thought Lewis’s point that these could not be political offences, because Julian Assange was not in the USA when he committed them, was breathtakingly dishonest. The USA claims universal jurisdiction. Assange is being charged with crimes of publishing committed while he was outside the USA. The USA claims the right to charge anyone of any nationality, anywhere in the world, who harms US interests. They also in addition here claim that as the materials could be seen on the internet in the USA, there was an offence in the USA. At the same time to claim this could not be a political offence as the crime was committed outside the USA is, as Edward Fitzgerald might say, on the face of it absurd. Which curiously Baraitser did not pick up on.

Lewis’ argument that the Treaty does not have any standing in English law is not something he just made up. Nigel Farage did not materialise from nowhere. There is in truth a long tradition in English law that even a treaty signed and ratified with some bloody Johnny Foreigner country, can in no way bind an English court. Lewis could and did spout reams and reams of judgements from old beetroot faced judges holding forth to say exactly that in the House of Lords, before going off to shoot grouse and spank the footman’s son. Lewis was especially fond of the Tin Council case.

There is of course a contrary and more enlightened tradition, and a number of judgements that say the exact opposite, mostly more recent. This is why there was so much repetitive argument as each side piled up more and more volumes of “authorities” on their side of the case.

The difficulty for Lewis – and for Baraitser – is that this case is not analagous to me buying a Mars bar and then going to court because an International Treaty on Mars Bars says mine is too small.

Rather the 2003 Extradition Act is an Enabling Act on which extradition treaties then depend. You can’t thus extradite under the 2003 Act without the Treaty. So the Extradition Treaty of 2007 in a very real sense becomes an executive instrument legally required to authorise the extradition. For the executing authorities to breach the terms of the necessary executive instrument under which they are acting, simply has to be an abuse of process. So the Extradition Treaty owing to its type and its necessity for legal action, is in fact incorporated in English Law by the Extradition Act of 2003 on which it depends.

The Extradition Treaty is a necessary precondition of the extradition, whereas a Mars Bar Treaty is not a necessary precondition to buying the Mars Bar.

That is as plain as I can put it. I do hope that is comprehensible.

It is of course difficult for Lewis that on the same day the Court of Appeal was ruling against the construction of the Heathrow Third Runway, partly because of its incompatibility with the Paris Agreement of 2016, despite the latter not being fully incorporated into English law by the Climate Change Act of 2008.

VITAL PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

It is intensely embarrassing for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) when an English court repudiates the application of a treaty the UK has ratified with one or more foreign states. For that reason, in the modern world, very serious procedures and precautions have been put into place to make certain that this cannot happen. Therefore the prosecution’s argument that all the provisions of the UK/US Extradition Treaty of 2007 are not able to be implemented under the Extradition Act of 2003, ought to be impossible.

I need to explain I have myself negotiated and overseen the entry into force of treaties within the FCO. The last one in which I personally tied the ribbon and applied the sealing wax (literally) was the Anglo-Belgian Continental Shelf Treaty of 1991, but I was involved in negotiating others and the system I am going to describe was still in place when I left the FCO as an Ambassador in 2005, and I believe is unchanged today (and remember the Extradition Act was 2003 and the US/UK Extradition Treaty ratified 2007, so my knowledge is not outdated). Departmental nomenclatures change from time to time and so does structural organisation. But the offices and functions I will describe remain, even if names may be different.

All international treaties have a two stage process. First they are signed to show the government agrees to the treaty. Then, after a delay, they are ratified. This second stage takes place when the government has enabled the legislation and other required agency to implement the treaty. This is the answer to Lewis’s observation about the roles of the executive and legislature. The ratification stage only takes place after any required legislative action. That is the whole point.

This is how it happens in the FCO. Officials negotiate the extradition treaty. It is signed for the UK. The signed treaty then gets returned to FCO Legal Advisers, Nationality and Treaty Department, Consular Department, North American Department and others and is sent on to Treasury/Cabinet Office Solicitors and to Home Office, Parliament and to any other Government Department whose area is impacted by the individual treaty.

The Treaty is extensively vetted to check that it can be fully implemented in all the jurisdictions of the UK. If it cannot, then amendments to the law have to be made so that it can. These amendments can be made by Act of Parliament or more generally by secondary legislation using powers conferred on the Secretary of State by an act. If there is already an Act of Parliament under which the Treaty can be implemented, then no enabling legislation needs to be passed. International Agreements are not all individually incorporated into English or Scottish laws by specific new legislation.

This is a very careful step by step process, carried out by lawyers and officials in the FCO, Treasury, Cabinet Office, Home Office, Parliament and elsewhere. Each will in parallel look at every clause of the Treaty and check that it can be applied. All changes needed to give effect to the treaty then have to be made – amending legislation, and necessary administrative steps. Only when all hurdles have been cleared, including legislation, and Parliamentary officials, Treasury, Cabinet Office, Home Office and FCO all certify that the Treaty is capable of having effect in the UK, will the FCO Legal Advisers give the go ahead for the Treaty to be ratified.

You absolutely cannot ratify the treaty before FCO Legal Advisers have given this clearance.

This is a serious process. That is why the US/UK Extradition Treaty was signed in 2003 and ratified in 2007. That is not an abnormal delay.

So I know for certain that ALL the relevant British Government legal departments MUST have agreed that Article 4.1 of the UK/US Extradition Treaty was capable of being given effect under the 2003 Extradition Act. That certification has to have happened or the Treaty could never have been ratified.

It follows of necessity that the UK Government, in seeking to argue now that Article 4.1 is incompatible with the 2003 Act, is knowingly lying. There could not be a more gross abuse of process.

I have been keen for the hearing on this particular point to conclude so that I could give you the benefit of my experience. I shall rest there for now, but later today hope to post further on yesterday’s row in court over releasing Julian from the anti-terrorist armoured dock.

With grateful thanks to those who donated or subscribed to make this reporting possible. I wish to stress again that I absolutely do not want anybody to give anything if it causes them the slightest possibility of financial strain.

This article is entirely free to reproduce and publish, including in translation, and I very much hope people will do so actively. Truth shall set us free.

——————————————

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (28th February 2020), Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (28th February 2020), Franny (28th February 2020), Icare (1st March 2020), Innocent Warrior (28th February 2020), mountain_jim (29th February 2020), onawah (28th February 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020), Satori (28th February 2020)

14. Link to Post #228
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,554 times in 3,482 posts

From Craig Murray’s, “Roger Waters on Julian Assange” article (Feb 23) -

WE ARE HERE TODAY FOR JULIAN ASSANGE.
    But I have four names on this piece of paper.
    The First and last of course is Julian Assange, A Journalist, a courageous shiner of light into the dark places from which the powers that be would dearly like to have us turn away.
    Julian Assange. A name to be carved with pride intoany monument to human progress.
    Julian is why we are here today, but this is no parochial protest. We are today part of a global movement, a global movement that might be the beginning of the global enlightenment that this fragile planet so desperately needs.
    Ok. Second Name. Sent to me by my friend VJ Prashad.
    Second name is Aamir Aziz, Aamir is a young poet and activist in Delhi involved in the fight against Modi and his rascist Citizenship law.
    Everything Will Be Remembered
    Kill us, we will become ghosts and write
    of your killings, with all the evidence.
    You write jokes in court;
    We will write ‘justice’ on the walls.
    We will speak so loudly that even the deaf will hear.
    We will write so clearly that even the blind will read.
    You write ‘injustice’ on the earth;
    We will write ‘revolution’ in the sky.
    Everything will be remembered;
    Everything recorded
    This out pouring of the human spirit from India is taking place in a time of revolt, when the fetters of propriety are set aside.
    As we meet here in London, across the Atlantic in Argentina thousands of women are taking to the streets to demand the legalization of abortion from President Fernandez.
    It’s not just Argentina. This last year we have seen major protests erupt across the whole world against neoliberal/fascist regimes. In Chile, The Lebanon, Colombia, Ecuador, Haiti,France and now, of course also in Bolivia fighting the new US imposed military dictatorship there.
    When will we see the name of England appended to that noble list? I sense the scratching of heads in drawing rooms across the home counties, “What’s he talking about, the man’s a bloody pinkopervert, bloody anti semite, what’s he talking about? We don’t live in a dictatorship, this is a free country, a democracy, with all the finest traditions of fair play, pah!”
    Well, I’ve got news for you Disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells. We’d like to think this is a free country, but are we really free? Why, when Julian Assange is brought to the dock in the tiny magistrates court inside Belmarsh prison are so many seats occupied by anonymous American suits, whispering instructions into the attentive ear of the prosecution’s lead barrister, James Lewis QC?
    Why?
    Because we don’t live in a free country, we live in a glorified dog kennel and we bark and/or wag our tails at the bidding of our lords and masters across the pond.
    I stand here today, in front of the Mother of Parliaments, and there she stands blushing in all her embarrassment. And just upstream from here is Runnemede, where in 1215, we, the English, laid out the rudiments of common law. Magna Carta, ratified in 1297 article 29 of whichgave us Habeus Corpus. Or did it? It stated:
    “The body of a free man is not to be arrested, or imprisoned, or outlawed, or exiled, or in any way ruined, nor is the king to go against him or send forcibly against him, except by judgment of his peers or by the law of the land.”
    Sadly, Article 29 is not enforceable in modern law. Magna Carta is only an idea, and in this propaganda driven modern world, it provides no check in principle to Parliament legislating against the rights of citizens.
    We do however have an extradition treaty with the USA and in the first paragraph of article 4 of that treaty it states. “Extradition shall not be granted if the offense for which extradition is requested is a political offense.” Julian Assange has committed no crime but he has committed a political act. He has spoken truth to power. He has angered some of our masters in Washington by telling the truth and in retribution for the act of telling the truth they want his blood.
    Yesterday in front of Battersea Power Station I did a TV interview for SKY news to promote this event, there was no visual link, so my only contact with the lady asking me questions was via an ear bud on a curly wire. I learned something about telling truth in the phrasing of her questions to me. She came at me like some crazed Don Quixote every question laced, thick with the smears and innuendo and the false accusations with which the powers that be have been trying to blacken Julian Assange’s name. She rattled off the tired, but well prepared narrative, and then interrupted constantly when I made reply. I don’t know who she is, she may mean well. If she does, my advice would be to stop drinking the Kool-aid, and if she actually gives a fig for her chosen profession get her sorry ass down here and join us.
    So England. I call upon our prime minister,Boris Johnson, to declare his colours, does he support the spirit of Magna Carta? Does he believe in, democracy, freedom, fair play, free speech, and especially the freedom of the press? If the answer to those questions is yes, then come on Prime Minister be the British Bulldog you would have us all believe you are? Stand up to the bluster of American hegemony, call off this show trial, this charade, this kangaroo court. “The evidence before the court is incontrovertible.” Julian Assange is an innocent man. A journalist doing very important work for “we the people” by exposing the crimes of powerful sociopaths in the corridors of power.
    I call on you to free him today.
    I cannot leave this stage without mention of Chelsea Manning, who provided some of the material that Julian published.
    Chelsea has been in a federal prison for a year incarcerated by the Americans for refusing, on principle, to give evidence to a grand jury specifically convened to make an example of Julian Assange. What courage. They are also fining her $1,000 a day. Chelsea yours is another name to be carved in pride, I’ve been reading the latest on your case, it looks as if your legal team are finding light at the end of the tunnel, please god, you get out soon back to your loved ones, you are a true hero.You exemplify the bulldog spirit that I was talking about a few moments ago.
    Also Daniel Hale
    Daniel is a whistle-blower you may not know yet. He was in a great documentary movie National Bird, made by my good friend Sonia Kennebeck. He was part of the US drone program targeting Afghans in their own country from some mobile command center in Navada. When his stint in the USAF was over. Daniel’s good heart refused to edit out the burden of remorse he carried and he very bravely decided to tell his story. The FBI/CIA have pursued Daniel remorselessly ever since and he is now in prison awaiting trial. Daniel’s is another name to be carved in pride. Those of us who have never compromised our liberty in the cause of freedom, who have never picked up the burning torch and held it trembling over the crimes of their superior officers, can only wonder at the extraordinary courage of those who have.
    There are other speakers here, so I will make way, I could stand here all day railing against the dying of the light should we not stand Bulldog like, with arms linked, ranks closed in front of our brother and comrade Julian Assange. And when the lackies of the American Empire come to take him, to destroy him and hang him in the hedge as a warning to frighten future journalists, we will look them in the eye and steadfast with one voice we will intone.
    “Over our dead ****ing bodies.”

~ Roger Waters Feb 22nd 2020
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (28th February 2020), Franny (3rd March 2020), Icare (1st March 2020), mountain_jim (29th February 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020), Tintin (29th February 2020)

16. Link to Post #229
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,526 times in 20,692 posts

Former UK MP George Galloway - US plotted to murder Julian Assange
    RT America
    2/2620

"Shocking allegations are surfacing on the third day of Julian Assange's extradition hearing. Lawyers of the WikiLeaks founder are now suggesting that Washington may have contemplated kidnapping or poisoning him. Former UK MP and friend of Julian Assange George Galloway. "
    Each breath a gift...

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (28th February 2020), Franny (3rd March 2020), Icare (1st March 2020), Innocent Warrior (1st March 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020), T Smith (29th February 2020), Tintin (1st March 2020)

18. Link to Post #230
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tintin (here)
    And here's another interesting piece of news:

Link: https://www.rohrabacher.com/news

My Meeting with Julian Assange
    2/19/2020 from Dana Rohrabacher

​There is a lot of misinformation floating out there regarding my meeting with Julian Assange so let me provide some clarity on the matter:

At no time did I talk to President Trump about Julian Assange. Likewise, I was not directed by Trump or anyone else connected with him to meet with Julian Assange. I was on my own fact finding mission at personal expense to find out information I thought was important to our country. I was shocked to find out that no other member of Congress had taken the time in their official or unofficial capacity to interview Julian Assange.

At no time did I offer Julian Assange anything from the President because I had not spoken with the President about this issue at all. However, when speaking with Julian Assange, I told him that if he could provide me information and evidence about who actually gave him the DNC emails, I would then call on President Trump to pardon him. At no time did I offer a deal made by the President, nor did I say I was representing the President.

Upon my return, I spoke briefly with Gen. Kelly. I told him that Julian Assange would provide information about the purloined DNC emails in exchange for a pardon. No one followed up with me including Gen. Kelly and that was the last discussion I had on this subject with anyone representing Trump or in his Administration.

Even though I wasn't successful in getting this message through to the President I still call on him to pardon Julian Assange, who is the true whistleblower of our time. Finally, we are all holding our breath waiting for an honest investigation into the murder of Seth Rich.
    Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Snippet of article from: https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/worl...nge-bin-laden/
    Quote Barrister Edward Fitzgerald was asked by District Judge Vanessa Baraitser if Assange would testify during the month-long hearing.

“Madam, it’s very unlikely that he would,” Mr Fitzgerald said.

Arguing against extradition, he said the dividing line between US courts and the president has been “blurred” in the decade-long pursuit of his client.

Mr Fitzgerald told the packed court a witness will confirm the US had even contemplated more “extreme measures” against the Australian.
    “Such as kidnapping or poisoning Julian Assange in the embassy,” he said, referring to Assange’s seven-year asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

Mr Fitzgerald detailed how the Americans had spied on his meetings with lawyers in the embassy. He also maintained that US congressman Dana Rohrabacher had indeed offered Assange a pardon on orders of President Donald Trump, a claim both American men denied last week.

“President Trump denies everything and we say ‘well, he would, wouldn’t he’,” Mr Fitzgerald said.

Outside court, journalists and human rights group said the case could have wide-ranging impacts for media freedoms and whistleblowers.
    From The Courage Foundation’s coverage of the hearing (emphasis mine) -

US Congressman Offers Assange Pardon

Assange barrister Jennifer Robinson has provided testimony about US Republican Congressman Dana Rohrabacher’s 2017 visit to Assange in the embassy in which Rohrabacher made clear that he was representing President Trump. Rohrabacher offered Assange a preemptive pardon or otherwise helpful deal in exchange for Assange identifying the source of the 2016 DNC leaks. Assange refused the offer, and Trump later denied any knowledge of the offer — as Fitzgerald said, “He would, wouldn’t he.”

The pardon offer shows just how little the Trump Administration actually cares about prosecuting a violation of the law, and instead shows Trump’s interest in cutting a deal that served himself.”
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 1st March 2020 at 06:05.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (1st March 2020), Franny (3rd March 2020), Tintin (1st March 2020)

20. Link to Post #231
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Even the Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer, John McDonnell, has put on record his view on the injustice of Julian's incarceration. It remains never to be known what could have transpired had a Labour administration been voted in last autumn/fall.

“Please don’t underestimate the importance of this case for the future of our democracy”

Link: https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/s...20109285916672

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2020), Dennis Leahy (2nd March 2020), Franny (3rd March 2020), Innocent Warrior (4th March 2020), onawah (3rd March 2020)

22. Link to Post #232
    Language
    English
    Thanks

"They are relentlessly enforcing the systematic denial of any basic human comfort, like the touch of a friend’s fingertips or the blocking of the relief that he might get just from being alongside somebody friendly. They are ensuring the continuation of the extreme psychological effects from isolation of a year of virtual solitary confinement. A tiny bit of human comfort could do an enormous amount of good to his mental health and resilience. They are determined to stop this at all costs. They are attempting to make him kill himself – or create in him the condition where his throttling death might be explained away as suicide."
    - Craig Murray (March 2020)

The Armoured Glass Box is an Instrument of Torture
    By Craig Murray
    March 2nd, 2020

In Thursday’s separate hearing on allowing Assange out of the armoured box to sit with his legal team, I witnessed directly that Baraitser’s ruling against Assange was brought by her into court BEFORE she heard defence counsel put the arguments, and delivered by her entirely unchanged.

I might start by explaining to you my position in the public gallery vis a vis the judge. All week I deliberately sat in the front, right hand seat. The gallery looks out through an armoured glass window at a height of about seven feet above the courtroom. It runs down one side of the court, and the extreme right hand end of the public gallery is above the judge’s bench, which sits below perpendicular to it. Remarkably therefore from the right hand seats of the public gallery you have an uninterrupted view of the top of the whole of the judge’s bench, and can see all the judge’s papers and computer screen.

Mark Summers QC outlined that in the case of Belousov vs Russia the European Court of Human Rights at Strasbourg ruled against the state of Russia because Belousov had been tried in a glass cage practically identical in construction and in position in court to that in which Assange now was. It hindered his participation in the trial and his free access to counsel, and deprived him of human dignity as a defendant.

Summers continued that it was normal practice for certain categories of unconvicted prisoners to be released from the dock to sit with their lawyers. The court had psychiatric reports on Assange’s extreme clinical depression, and in fact the UK Department of Justice’s best practice guide for courts stated that vulnerable people should be released to sit alongside their lawyers. Special treatment was not being requested for Assange – he was asking to be treated as any other vulnerable person.

The defence was impeded by their inability to communicate confidentially with their client during proceedings. In the next stage of trial, where witnesses were being examined, timely communication was essential. Furthermore they could only talk with him through the slit in the glass within the hearing of the private company security officers who were guarding him (it was clarified they were Serco, not Group 4 as Baraitser had said the previous day), and in the presence of microphones.

Baraitser became ill-tempered at this point and spoke with a real edge to her voice. “Who are those people behind you in the back row?” she asked Summers sarcastically – a question to which she very well knew the answer. Summers replied that they were part of the defence legal team. Baraitser said that Assange could contact them if he had a point to pass on. Summers replied that there was an aisle and a low wall between the glass box and their position, and all Assange could see over the wall was the top of the back of their heads. Baraitser said she had seen Assange call out. Summers said yelling across the courtroom was neither confidential nor satisfactory.

This is the photo taken illegally (not by me) of Assange in the court:

Click image for larger version

Name:	JA_in_Belmarsh_court.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	42653

If you look carefully, you can see there is a passageway and a low wooden wall between him and the back row of lawyers. You can see one of the two Serco prison officers guarding him inside the box.

Baraitser said Assange could pass notes, and she had witnessed notes being passed by him. Summers replied that the court officers had now banned the passing of notes. Baraitser said they could take this up with Serco, it was a matter for the prison authorities.

Summers asserted that, contrary to Baraitser’s statement the previous day, she did indeed have jurisdiction on the matter of releasing Assange from the dock. Baraitser intervened to say that she now accepted that. Summers then said that he had produced a number of authorities to show that Baraitser had also been wrong to say that to be in custody could only mean to be in the dock. You could be in custody anywhere within the precincts of the court, or indeed outside. Baraitser became very annoyed by this and stated she had only said that delivery to the custody of the court must equal delivery to the dock.

To which Summers replied memorably, now very cross “Well, that’s wrong too, and has been wrong these last eight years.”

Drawing argument to a close, Baraitser gave her judgement on this issue. Now the interesting thing is this, and I am a direct eyewitness. She read out her judgement, which was several pages long and handwritten. She had brought it with her into court in a bundle, and she made no amendments to it. She had written out her judgement before she heard Mark Summers speak at all.

Her key points were that Assange was able to communicate to his lawyers by shouting out from the box. She had seen him pass notes. She was willing to adjourn the court at any time for Assange to go down with his lawyers for discussions in the cells, and if that extended the length of the hearing from three to six weeks, it could take as long as required.

Baraitser stated that none of the psychiatric reports she had before her stated that it was necessary for Assange to leave the armoured dock. As none of the psychiatrists had been asked that question – and very probably none knew anything about courtroom layout – that is scarcely surprising

I have been wondering why it is so essential to the British government to keep Assange in that box, unable to hear proceedings or instruct his lawyers in reaction to evidence, even when counsel for the US Government stated they had no objection to Assange sitting in the well of the court.

The answer lies in the psychiatric assessment of Assange given to the court by the extremely distinguished Professor Michael Kopelman (who is familiar to everyone who has read Murder in Samarkand):
    “Mr Assange shows virtually all the risk factors which researchers from Oxford
    have described in prisoners who either suicide or make lethal attempts. … I
    am as confident as a psychiatrist can ever be that, if extradition to the United
    States were to become imminent, Mr Assange would find a way of suiciding.”
    The fact that Kopelman does not, as Baraitser said, specifically state that the armoured glass box is bad for Assange reflects nothing other than the fact he was not asked that question. Any human being with the slightest decency would be able to draw the inference. Baraitser’s narrow point that no psychiatrist had specifically stated he should be released from the armoured box is breathtakingly callous, dishonest and inhumane. Almost certainly no psychiatrist had conceived she would determine on enforcing such torture.

So why is Baraitser doing it?

I believe that the Hannibal Lecter style confinement of Assange, this intellectual computer geek, which has no rational basis at all, is a deliberate attempt to drive Julian to suicide. The maximum security anti-terrorist court is physically within the fortress compound that houses the maximum security prison. He is brought handcuffed and under heavy escort to and from his solitary cell to the armoured dock via an underground tunnel.

In these circumstances, what possible need is there for him to be strip and cavity searched continually? Why is he not permitted to have his court papers? Most telling for me was the fact he is not permitted to shake hands or touch his lawyers through the slit in the armoured box.

They are relentlessly enforcing the systematic denial of any basic human comfort, like the touch of a friend’s fingertips or the blocking of the relief that he might get just from being alongside somebody friendly. They are ensuring the continuation of the extreme psychological effects from isolation of a year of virtual solitary confinement. A tiny bit of human comfort could do an enormous amount of good to his mental health and resilience. They are determined to stop this at all costs. They are attempting to make him kill himself – or create in him the condition where his throttling death might be explained away as suicide.

This is also the only explanation that I can think of for why they are risking the creation of such obvious mistrial conditions. Dead people cannot appeal.

I would remind you that Julian is a remand prisoner who has served his unprecedentedly long sentence for bail-jumping. His status is supposedly at present that of an innocent man facing charges. Those charges are for nothing except for publishing Chelsea Manning’s revelations of war crimes.

That Baraitser is acting under instructions seems to me certain. She has been desperate throughout the trial to seize any chance to deny any responsibility for what is happening to Julian. She has stated that she has no jurisdiction over his treatment in prison, and even when both defence and prosecution combined to state it was normal practice for magistrates to pass directions or requests to the prison service, she refused to accept it was so.

Baraitser is plainly attempting psychologically to distance herself from any agency in what is being done. To this end she has made a stream of denials of jurisdiction or ability to influence events. She has said that she has no jurisdiction to interfere with the strip searching, handcuffing and removal of Assange’s papers or with his being kept in solitary.

She has said she has no jurisdiction to request that his defence lawyers have more access to their client in jail to prepare his defence. She has said she has no jurisdiction over his position in the courtroom. She has suggested at various times it is up to Serco to decide if he may pass notes to his lawyers and up to Group4 to decide if he can be released from the armoured dock. The moments when she looks most content listening to the evidence, are those when prosecution counsel James Lewis argues that she has no decision to make but to sign the extradition because it is in good form and that Article 4 of the Treaty has no legal standing.

A member of the Assange family remarked to me at the end of week one that she seems very lazy, and thus delighted to accept any arguments that reduce the amount she needs to do. I think it is different to that. I think there is a corner of the mind of this daughter of dissidents from apartheid that rejects her own role in the torture of Assange, and is continually urging “I had no choice, I had no agency”. Those who succumb to do evil must find what internal comfort they may.

With grateful thanks to those who donated or subscribed to make this reporting possible. I wish to stress again that I absolutely do not want anybody to give anything if it causes them the slightest possibility of financial strain.

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

avid (2nd March 2020), Bill Ryan (3rd March 2020), Dennis Leahy (2nd March 2020), Franny (3rd March 2020), Gracy (3rd March 2020), Innocent Warrior (4th March 2020), jaybee (2nd March 2020), mountain_jim (3rd March 2020), onawah (3rd March 2020), Satori (2nd March 2020)

24. Link to Post #233
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Yet more corroboration on Julian's general state of wellbeing, as if any were needed, this time from Sevim Dagdalen via Afshin Rattansi on RT.

Afshin Rattansi
    @afshinrattansi
    "What you won't see on @BBCNews ... #FreeJulianAssange"
    Link: https://twitter.com/afshinrattansi/s...93282861899778

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2020), Dennis Leahy (3rd March 2020), Gracy (3rd March 2020), Innocent Warrior (4th March 2020), mountain_jim (3rd March 2020), onawah (3rd March 2020)

26. Link to Post #234
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Veteran journalist and filmmaker John Pilger, just about one of the very best there's ever been, who always manages to so concisely and eloquently say it how it really is:

"Compliant journalists in the UK, US, Australia suppressed the significance of the outrage of the #Assange trial: the obscene bias, the studied cruelty. Is this the press freedom we are fighting for? The Guardian's deceit about its role in unredacted cables shames real journalism."

Link: https://twitter.com/johnpilger/statu...34453057052672

....and something from 2011, from Julian himself:

http://avalonlibrary.net/Julian_Assa...rview_2011.mp4

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Alekahn2 (20th March 2020), Bill Ryan (3rd March 2020), Dennis Leahy (4th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), Innocent Warrior (4th March 2020), jaybee (4th March 2020), mountain_jim (4th March 2020), onawah (5th March 2020), OopsWrongPlanet? (3rd March 2020), Satori (3rd March 2020), TrumanCash (7th March 2020)

28. Link to Post #235
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks

From The Watchdog - Leaked evidence shows that Assange arrest came after Wikileaks publisher refused to name sources

U.S. President Donald Trump offered Julian Assange clemency in return for confirmation that Seth Rich was the source of leaked Democratic Party emails — only to push for the indictment of the Wikileaks founder when he refused to comply.

Text messages released last week by Kim Dotcom, the internet entrepreneur and close associate of Assange, revealed how he helped facilitate a 2017 meeting between the 48-year-old Australian and former U.S. Congressman Dana Rohrabacher (R-Cal).

After his first meeting with Trump in April of that year, Rohrabacher travelled to meet Assange — then arbitrarily detained in Ecuador’s London embassy — after Dotcom brokered the arrangement through his friend and Fox News host, Sean Hannity.

In personal messages between the two, Hannity told Dotcom that the idea of a presidential pardon was “met with enthusiasm” by Trump (demarcated as T in the exchanges). That followed a number of Dotcom’s messages urging the cable news host to push for the arrangement.

“Remind T about the art of the deal,” one of them read.

“I have discussed it [the Assange deal] with him many times,” Hannity responded.

The tweets came after Rohrabacher released a press statement confirming he had indeed made an informal quid-pro-quo proposition to Assange, but denied he had been sent on Trump’s instructions.

“At no time did I talk to President Trump about Julian Assange,” Rohrabacher said.

“Likewise, I was not directed by Trump or anyone else connected with him to meet with Julian Assange. I was on my own fact-finding mission at personal expense to find out information I thought was important to our country.”

“When speaking with Assange,” he later added, “I told him that if he could provide me information and evidence about who actually gave him the DNC emails, I would then call on President Trump to pardon him.”

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham also dismissed the notion of a Trump-endorsed pardon offer, calling the claim “absolutely and completely false.” She added that Trump “barely knows” Rohrabacher and had “never spoken to him on this subject.” This denial came despite their earlier phone call between the two and a 45-minute meeting at the White House attended by former chief of staff Reince Priebus and former chief strategist Steve Bannon.

The messages released by Dotcom reveal a different version of events than those expressed by Rohrabacher and the White House, however. In a further screenshot, this time between him and Assange, the interactions showed Trump had first-hand knowledge of the pardon agreement.

The message came one day after the Rohrabacher meeting where Assange refused to reveal his source. Accordingly, Trump’s patience was tested.

“When is this all finally coming out,” Trump said of Rich according to the screen shots. Assange, however, maintained his position.

In turn, Trump took his vengeance. Because not only would the admission that Rich — a DNC staffer who was murdered in Washington D.C. — discredit the unsubstantiated Russia allegations that swirled at the time of the Democrat-led Mueller investigation, the information could have provided useful ammunition for the upcoming election.

“I have no need to do anyone favours,” Assange said in response to Trump’s request. He was then charged with 18 espionage-linked indictments after refusing to supply the evidence.

And if the texts alone were insufficient to show the political nature of the persecution of Assange, Dotcom’s screen-grabs were then quickly followed by another set of damning revelations: Cassandra Fairbanks, a Conservative journalist and confidant of Assange’s, leaked audio recordings from calls between her and Arthur Schwartz, a middle-aged political consultant known as Donald Trump Jr.’s “fixer”.

The first phone call of note came after Fairbanks visited Assange in October 2018 and after she penned a now-deleted article on the persecuted journalist. In it, Fairbanks had interviewed Assange’s mother, Christine Assange, and had hoped to raise sympathy among Conservative circles.

Instead, after the article was shared in a group message with Schwartz and his boss, Rick Grenell — the former U.S. Ambassador to Germany and Trump’s new Director of National Intelligence — Fairbanks received a phone call from the Trump operative that she described as “insane”.

“A little bit after I published this article,” Fairbanks said, “I posted it in the group hoping that someone would see it and maybe they would feel bad or would maybe be moved to share it with people who could make a difference…

“… About ten minutes later, I got this insane phone call and it was Arthur Schwartz and he was completely erratic. He was saying that I needed to stop trying, that a deal had already been made to arrest Julian, that they were going to go in the embassy to get him.”

According to Fairbanks, Schwartz went on to repeat the false allegations that Assange’s disclosures had led to harm and to the torture of U.S. military informants, even asking the then 33-year-old mother how she would feel if her young daughter was subject to the same circumstances.

“I took it as very threatening,” she continued. “He was threatening my reputation. Some of it, I perceived, as even more sinister than that.”

She then began recording her calls — and what took place after was most revealing.

After Fairbanks maintained her support of Assange, visiting him once again in January and March 2019, she asked Schwartz why she was subjected to greater levels of monitoring in the embassy. It was then she received the second of two recorded phone calls.

It came after Schwartz had previously told Fairbanks that the U.S. State Department was aware she had told Assange about the plans to arrest him and that they had launched an investigation into how she received the information.

“Someone’s going to go to jail,” Schwartz said. “You need to stop this. I don’t want to go to jail!”

The phone call also came after Fairbanks tweeted about the subject, telling Conservatives supportive of Wikileaks to be careful of Grenell given that he had been instrumental in crafting assurances to the Ecuadorian government that Assange would not be given the death sentence if British forces were invited into the embassy to arrest him. The deal was first reported by ABC News and was later mentioned in Fairbanks’ reporting.

“They [the State Department] look at you and they see that we speak,” Schwartz continued. “That’s bad!

“Rick [Grenell] is taking order from the president! You’re going to punish me because he took orders from the president?”

The revelations, both of Fairbanks and Dotcom, are significant because they give further weight to arguments made by Assange’s lawyers at the opening of his extradition hearings last week.

They said Assange’s indictment was “clearly” political, arguing his extradition should be barred based on article 4(1) of the U.S.-U.K. extradition treaty. The article forbids both parties from handing over prisoners for political offences.

The extradition hearings will continue on May 18 and will include further details of Fairbanks’ evidence. Jennifer Robinson, an Assange barrister from Doughty Street Chambers in London, will also submit a written statement from Assange’s meeting with Rohrabacher.

Further information about the nature of the evidence is expected to be made public at a case-management hearing at Belmarsh Magistrates’ Court on April 7.

Link to source HERE.

29. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Alekahn2 (20th March 2020), Bill Ryan (4th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (4th March 2020), Fellow Aspirant (4th March 2020), fifi (11th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), JRS (5th March 2020), mountain_jim (4th March 2020), onawah (4th March 2020), Satori (4th March 2020), Tintin (4th March 2020), TrumanCash (7th March 2020)

30. Link to Post #236
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Innocent Warrior/Rach: EXCELLENT article - a very important piece in the evidence chain that one assumes Julian's defence team will, as outlined, submit.

LIBRARY UPDATE

A specific folder containing the following documentation, for the all important record:

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Alekahn2 (20th March 2020), Bill Ryan (4th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (4th March 2020), Innocent Warrior (5th March 2020), onawah (5th March 2020), Satori (4th March 2020), TrumanCash (7th March 2020)

32. Link to Post #237
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Letter from The Council of Bar and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE) to UK authorities about the interception of communications between Julian Assange and his lawyers

This tweet from an Aitor Martinez contains images of a letter sent by the CCBE: Council of Bar and Law Societies Europe which is heavily critical of the UK government's actions, to date.

Link: https://twitter.com/AitorxMartinez/s...87190373777408

The letter sent to the current UK Home Secretary, Priti Patel, and deals with the illegality of the interceptions of Julian's lawyers' correspondences and communications. (Letter from CCBE site)

Letter page 1 - http://avalonlibrary.net/Julian_Assa...CCBE%20(1).png
    Letter page 2 - http://avalonlibrary.net/Julian_Assa...CCBE%20(2).png
    Letter page 3 - http://avalonlibrary.net/Julian_Assa...CCBE%20(3).png

PDF version here

Last edited by Tintin; 4th March 2020 at 15:38. Reason: Found letter on CCBE site and fixed links

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Alekahn2 (20th March 2020), Bill Ryan (4th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (4th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), Innocent Warrior (5th March 2020), mountain_jim (4th March 2020), onawah (5th March 2020), Satori (4th March 2020), TrumanCash (7th March 2020)

34. Link to Post #238
    Language
    English
    Thanks

[CAMPAIGN]

Save My Son Julian GoFundMe campaign

Christine Assange is organising this fundraiser.
    Created 1 day ago (March 3rd, 2020)

"My son, Julian Assange, is a multi-award winning Australian journalist who is facing the fight of his life. He is currently detained in Belmarsh, as a prisoner facing US extradition.

If he is convicted, he will be subjected to 175 years in a US prison.

He will never be released.

Through his organisation WikiLeaks, he published evidence of widespread abuse of power, including systemic corruption and war crimes committed all over the world. He published this material in the public interest. He believed that all people have the right to know the truth and what goes on behind closed doors.

Julian is an Australian citizen who is up against powerful States that have an unlimited amount of resources at their disposal. These States want to make an example out of him.

I can't fight this on my own. I am raising money to fund a hand-picked, highly professional and experienced media and diplomatic team in Australia.

My son's life is at risk.

Please help me to save my son. Your support is priceless and any small amount will be greatly appreciated."
    Last edited by Tintin; 4th March 2020 at 14:40.

35. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

4evrneo (4th March 2020), Alekahn2 (20th March 2020), Bill Ryan (4th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (4th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), Innocent Warrior (5th March 2020), JRS (5th March 2020), mountain_jim (4th March 2020), onawah (5th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (5th March 2020), TrumanCash (7th March 2020)

36. Link to Post #239
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tintin (here)
    Innocent Warrior/Rach: EXCELLENT article - a very important piece in the evidence chain that one assumes Julian's defence team will, as outlined, submit.

LIBRARY UPDATE

A specific folder containing the following documentation, for the all important record:
    Great, thank you very much, Tintin.

Quote Dotcom told VICE News he gave Assange’s lawyers “338 pages of text messages with Trump’s best friend, who is also a secret supporter of truth-teller Julian Assange. I would never have made some of those messages public if Trump didn’t lie by saying he knew nothing about the pardon proposal to Julian.”
    Source.

Julian, the man who offered himself up to the US for a fair trial in exchange for Chelsea’s freedom (Obama admin), was never going to agree to that deal. Evidently, it’s difficult enough to protect sources, imagine what would happen if he was willing to confirm a source after they were murdered. o_O He’ll never compromise WikiLeaks and its sources like that, no matter what it costs him.

Trump appears to have no idea of who he’s dealing with, evidenced by the foolish deal he made with Ecuador. The most powerful people don’t wear crowns or live in the White House, and some of the most free are locked in prison cells. I doubt he can wrap his head around that, Chelsea and Julian are more free than he’ll ever be. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone has a price, not all the money and force in the world will move them to compromise themselves, giving up true freedom in the process.

This is like watching a game of chicken, knowing one side will allow themselves to be run down if it comes to that, but at great cost to the blind ‘victor’. Trump should bail from this game. Others around him would know this, others who were the secret clients of the security company spying on Assange, who had copies of his legal strategy made while the documents were left unattended. And here we are, Julian Assange Vs USA government, the platform on which the true nature of Trump’s motivations will be exposed.

Thanks for posting Craig Murray’s reports on the hearing BTW, not only is he factual and highly intelligent, his clarity commands the reader to listen to his voice with their heart. Imagine if all journalists were educated and free to write as authentically.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 5th March 2020 at 07:35.

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Alekahn2 (20th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (6th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), onawah (5th March 2020), Tintin (5th March 2020), TrumanCash (7th March 2020)

38. Link to Post #240
    Language
    English
    Thanks

LONDON EVENT - April 20th, 2020
    Free The Truth

I have booked my ticket for this event. It's free to attend but a donation is requested on arrival, minimum £7.

Provided there aren't restrictions on persons' movements due to the virus situation I should be able to make it along without any issues.
    Description
    Mark Curtis, Andrew Feinstein, Peter Oborne, Chris Williamson and eminent experts will join us on Monday 20th April 2020 in London to examine the extradition of award-winning journalist and publisher Julian Assange.

If extradited Julian will be tried in the US, without First Amendment protections, under special administrative measures (ie neither he nor his lawyers will be able to communicate with the press) and will face a potential sentence of 175 years in prison. The US authorities have confirmed that they may add further charges after extradition.

If you would like to read about the travesty that was the first phase of Julian's extradition trial, former diplomat Craig Murray has written about it here https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archi...hearing-day-1/

Having served his prison sentence for seeking asylum, Julian is currently being held at Belmarsh prison pending extradition to the US for "conspiring with Chelsea Manning to publish the Iraq War logs, the Afghanistan war logs and the State Department cables". Prof Nils Melzer, the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture and Arbitrary Detention describes the British state's complicity in his torture in this revealing interview https://www.republik.ch/2020/01/31/n...julian-assange

We welcome trade unionists, politicians, media, students, academics and all members of the public. Entry to the event is free. We request that guests make a donation in excess of £7 per ticket (at the door) towards covering costs.

Doors Open at 6:00 pm

Discussions commence at 6:30 pm sharp.

Discussions end at 9 pm

Due to the high levels of interest in this event, those who have registered beforehand will be given priority until 6:15 pm. Thereafter, any remaining seats will be made available on a first-come-first-served basis. Please bring a copy of your reservation with you.

Those with accessibility or other constraints should please feel free to contact us via email at jadc@protonmail.ch or via Twitter @deepa_driver

After registration, if you are no longer able to attend, please contact us as set out above, so your seat can be offered to someone else.

We would like to acknowledge those who toil behind the scenes to make #FreeTheTruth events possible. We are particulary grateful to:

Dr Catherine Brown @neolawrencian {Transcription}

Committee to Defend Julian Assange (JADC) {Solidarity and stewarding}

@somersetbean {Graphics}

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Alekahn2 (20th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (6th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), onawah (6th March 2020), TrumanCash (7th March 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 12 22 31 LastLast