+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What specific technologies and other advances are needed, for humans to colonize the solar system?

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 times in 371 posts

Default Re: What specific technologies and other advances are needed, for humans to colonize the solar system?

Quote Posted by Paul (here)

In my present view, something is deeply awry with the explanations we are given of these phenomenon. Until I can get a better view of the physics underlying this, I cannot trust what we are told and what is predicted relating to such matters.
    That is because we have science that is rooted in materialism. That is why you hear them say things like " I simply do not understand quantum physics" or " If you think you understand quantum physics you you haven't studied it long enough".

They can't get past the idea that reality is not physical. At least most can't. The ones that do such as Tom Campbell explains it where it makes sense.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th January 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 times in 371 posts

Default Re: What specific technologies and other advances are needed, for humans to colonize the solar system?

Quote Posted by neutronstar (here)
    Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    i'm wondering if the technology required to mine the solar system would make mining the solar system redundant.

i mean, if we had an advanced propulsion device, or a 'free energy' spaceship, what would we need to mine for?
    As best as I can tell, we would need to mine for minerals.

I expect that eventually (Carmody might expect it sooner) that the technology to transform matter, converting one kind of atom to a different kind, will become sufficiently capable that mining for specific minerals (iron, copper, aluminum, lead, zinc, silver, platinum, ...) will no longer be a critical step in producing machinery on a large scale. My hunch is that this is a ways out however, and that the expansion of human civilization (and its robotic assistants) to the solar system is much sooner.

A project that was able to send up (launch from the earth's surface) enough equipment that it could start to self-replicate itself through mining and 3D printing and the like, would mushroom into a massive presence in the solar system.
    We don't need to mine anything. Michio Kaku was talking about replicators being 20 years out 10 years ago on the science channel. Particles are not matter they are bits of information and we can develop machine that can replicate anything we program it to. I am sure we already have those machines. We don't see them because they would eliminate the need for money, and it is threw money that the powers that be control us.
    Actually I will play devils advocate for a moment and give a different answer to why we don't see that technology. It might be they simply don't know how to let it out. I have wondered myself what it would do to our society. It would change our way of life so radically that it might be harmful if not done right. You would eliminate so many jobs over night. When you really start to think about the problems that would have to be overcome, I could see where they might feel overwhelmed and scared about doing it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th January 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,444 times in 21,492 posts

That is because we have science that is rooted in materialism.
    Yes, main stream (for the last century at least) physics is mired in materialism. It's very name, "physics", belies this focus on the "physical". That which cannot be explained using matter, is explained using mathematical models of "ghost in the machine" forces.

I am hopeful that this century long diversion into this powerful, but profoundly flawed, delusion, known by such names as relativity and quantum mechanics, will come to an end, within my lifetime.

Meanwhile, I trust more of the physics (and of related sciences such as astronomy) such as seems based in actual observation and clear thinking, and less of that which is presented as inscrutable (except to a few PhD's) mysteries with lots of mathematical jargon. I say this even though I minored in physics, and majored in mathematics, in college.

Forecasts of "zero point energy" being used to generate electricity, of anti-gravity devices, and of far faster than lightspeed propulsion systems do fit within my present understanding.

Forecasts of instantaneous communication using spooky action at a distance don't fit within my present understanding. Nor does serious time travel. Of course, my imagination may still be too confined by present day understandings, whether conventional or alternative.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (8th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th January 2018), neutronstar (8th January 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Actually I will play devils advocate for a moment and give a different answer to why we don't see that technology. It might be they simply don't know how to let it out.
    For some conjectured technology, I would agree that this is so. It has been hidden because they have been afraid of the consequences of revealing it.

For some conjectured technology, I would suggest that it is not revealed because it doesn't exist and can't exist. Rather rumors of it are leaked out, as part of the diversionary, obfuscating cloud of disinformation that helps keep what does matter still hidden.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (8th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th January 2018), neutronstar (8th January 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    I'm on it.
    Thanks to an article by Joseph P. Farrell, I realize that I might have made a substantial miscalculation in my analysis.

In his article “GO UNDERGROUND, YOUNG MAN”: DARPA’S LATEST GOAL yesterday, Farrell considers a report of a DARPA project to "develop systems that can help humans navigate, map and search in underground locations that are normally too perilous to visit." Farrell concludes his article saying:
    Quote So while the DARPA project appears to be par for the course for the military-industrial complex, I cannot help but think that there may be other purposes lurking in the shadows, unstated, and herewith, my high octane speculation of the day.

Recall, for a moment, that it is the same DARPA that (1) wants to create "super-soldiers" of various types, sizes, and "capabilities" (including the capability of relying on less sleep, and being able to function in exotic environments), and (2) set the century-objective for the USSA to be "warp capable" in one hundred years. Goodbye, rockets. Thus, I strongly suspect that this "subterranean operations" initiative is related to the long-term space objectives, where such capabilities would be most valuable, and, if the indications of subterranean structures on Mars that have emerged over the years are any indicator, it's a capability that would serve any manned missions there quite well...

... particularly if one suspected there might be someone to encounter...
    After reading Farrell's article, it occurred to me that perhaps the reason, or at least one of the important reasons, that an abundance of autonomous, intelligent, communicating and self-coordinating robots will be needed in the "outer space" of our solar system is not just for mining asteroids and planets, but for also for engaging in warfare.

Three things come to my mind that I have been overlooking that support this possibility:
    I have it on good report that we are not alone. The "problem" to be solved is not only and just stripping resources from some rocks, but also contesting territory with other species that have their own intentions for that space and those rocks.
    There is most clearly an utterly massive project underway to increase the production of mineral resource mining from areas such as central Asia and Africa, as well as, perhaps, Antarctica. The massive land grab by the Federal government in the US over the last two decades may also be laying the foundation for sharply increased mineral resource mining in North America.
    It is well known that the US military is actively working to develop autonomous drones and bots that can engage in warfare. Also, in China, Robots Have Replaced Humans In 25% Of China's Ammunition Factories
    Certainly this would be consistent with prior major colonization efforts over the last half millennia. The initial expansion is not entirely self supporting, and relies both on resources shipped from the "home land" and on locally obtained resources, and must deal, semi-autonomously, on a day to day basis, with the native inhabitants of the new territories, who are typically reluctant to cede their land to invaders.

In any case, I can only presume that the immense infrastructure buildup in Asia, led by the Russians and Chinese, has a long term purpose, and I figure that this purpose is not entirely "of this world", nor is this purpose primarily just a manifestation of some East vs West contest.

Someone is planning on extracting lots of minerals and (I would suppose) using them in manufacturing lots of stuff.

===

From another perspective, there is a big difference between relying only partially on locally mined or farmed resources in a new territory, and not relying on them at all.

I presume that, at present, and in the near future, humanity is not free from the demands of having to mine substantial amounts of particular minerals in order to continue their expansion, even if technologies soon to be more visible to the public can begin to substitute for actual mining, by atomically transforming more readily available matter into more critically needed matter.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 8th January 2018 at 05:15.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th January 2018), thunder24 (8th January 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,971 times in 2,392 posts

Other advances that are needed?

I'd like to believe that recognition of sociopathy and psychopathy had been achieved and we were free from the control of such people before we left upper atmosphere.
    That's an advance I'd like to see otherwise we are liable to be viewed as a hostile species wherever we go.

Then again, out there is probably just more of the same - duality.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th January 2018), Michi (8th January 2018), ZoSo925 (31st January 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Ewan....I think you are correct! According to what we have learned, so far here on Avalon, it seems we have positive & negative "others" already engaged on this planet.

neutronstar....thanks for reminding us that "reality" is not physical. Consciousness is Primary....quite a shift of perspective!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Michi (8th January 2018), neutronstar (9th January 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2