+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A class divided .... 1995

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default A class divided .... 1995

While working for a major car manufacturer in the U.S.that was foreign,we were shown this study on how easy it was to create prejudice and how it effects the psyche. I have never forgot what i saw. It was powerful, scary, and very sad. It has helped me understand, how we've gotten where we are. I doubt is could be done now with all the political correctness ( censorship) there is . This reaffirms my premise: that we are very fragile.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/a-class-divided/ 53 min

Storyline

Elliott divided her class by eye color -- those with blue eyes and those with
    brown. On the first day, the blue-eyed children were told they were smarter,
    nicer, neater, and better than those with brown eyes.

Throughout the day, Elliott praised them and allowed them privileges such as a
    taking a longer recess and being first in the lunch line. In contrast, the
    brown-eyed children had to wear collars around their necks and their behavior
    and performance were criticized and ridiculed by Elliott.

On the second day, the roles were reversed and the blue-eyed children were made
    to feel inferior while the brown eyes were designated the dominant group. What
    happened over the course of the unique two-day exercise astonished both students
    and teacher.

On both days, children who were designated as inferior took on the look and
    behavior of genuinely inferior students, performing poorly on tests and other
    work.

Directed by: William Peters
    Last edited by ramus; 7th January 2018 at 17:57.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

anandacate (7th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th January 2018), happyuk (7th January 2018), Hervé (7th January 2018), Nasu (8th January 2018), Navigator (7th January 2018), seko (7th January 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,243 times in 942 posts

Default Re: A class divided .... 1995

Ah Jane Elliott the schoolteacher who did the blue eyes brown eyes experiment of 1970. That was a great work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHxFuO2Nk-0

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

ramus (8th January 2018)

+ Reply to Thread