+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bot or Not - What's a Bot - What are they Botting ?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,084 times in 8,175 posts

Default Bot or Not - What's a Bot - What are they Botting ?

Our awareness of Bots, may not be quite up to speed. They are everywhere.

Most website visitors aren't human.

https://irlpodcast.org/episode8/?utm...=ffhigh-button

From politics to poetry, bots are playing an increasingly visible role in culture. Veronica Belmont investigates the rise of social media bots with Lauren Kunze and Jenn Schiffer. Butter.ai’s Jack Hirsch talks about what happens when your profile is stolen by a political bot. Lisa-Maria Neudert measures how bots influence politics. Ben Nimmo teaches us how to spot and take down bot armies. And Tim Hwang explores how bots can connect us in surprising, and meaningful, new ways.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

avid (12th January 2018), Baby Steps (15th January 2018), Cardillac (12th January 2018), Cidersomerset (12th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th January 2018), FreeURmind (12th January 2018), Inversion (14th January 2018), Michelle Marie (14th January 2018), Nasu (12th January 2018), O Donna (13th January 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

Default Re: Bot or Not - What's a Bot - What are they Botting ?

Bots are tools and like any tool its the user that has the intent , I just posted
    the RT segment below on another thread . Earlier David Icke was highlighting
    them in one of his vids about internet censorship and surviellance . There
    are different types of bots some good ,some malicious .

What Is a Bot?...My new best friend.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEbzk4vTHsQ
    Published on 5 May 2016
    A brief introduction to bots, their history, and how they will impact your online life.
    Read more of Gizmodo's bot coverage: http://gizmodo.com/tag/bots

What are Bots?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F5kX8-jkT4
    Published on 18 Oct 2017
    Humans account for less than 50% of internet traffic and the rest is spread
    between the good bots and bad ones. Peter Silva lights up some #basics about
    internet bots and botnets.

==============================================
    ==============================================

Internet intruders: Pentagon wants bots operating on foreign social media

Published on 12 Jan 2018

The US army is planning to boost its online activities. It's now on the hunt for a
    software tool which can understand and respond to posts on foreign social media
    sites, and potentially sway opinion. But isn't it something the U.S. has been
    advocating against? READ MORE: https://on.rt.com/8wop
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 12th January 2018 at 17:34.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

avid (12th January 2018), Cardillac (12th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th January 2018), FreeURmind (12th January 2018), Inversion (14th January 2018), norman (12th January 2018), O Donna (13th January 2018), petra (15th January 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,084 times in 8,175 posts

Is Q - Anon a bot, that's one thing I want to know, and there are plenty more questions.

like - why would the military announce all over the media that they are into using bots ? That doesn't make sense that they would broadcast that fact, unless they are trying to lose a bot problem they are not in control of, in a noise of bot propaganda.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Cardillac (12th January 2018), Cidersomerset (12th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th January 2018), Nasu (12th January 2018), O Donna (13th January 2018), thunder24 (12th January 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Is Q - Anon a bot, that's one thing I want to know, and there are plenty more questions.
    I don't know if you heard this from last week .....I am listening to it again
    and they jump around various topics and its approx 18 mins in that he comments
    on Q anon....He says "its very few less then you can count on one hand" . Whether
    this is correct or not I don't know.

Zaq told Alex Jones it was a group 3 or 4 intel operators ....

This is a edited version with all the adds & banter cut out....

"Zaq" Interview with Infowars 01/05/2018

Published on 5 Jan 2018

Bombshell interview with anonymous intel source "Zaq". Zach connects the dots of
    a lot of Qanon's posts in regards to Spacex/Operation Zuma, Fire and Fury, the
    Spectre Bug, Miles Kwok/Steve Bannon/George Soros connections, Julian Assange,
    Huma Abedine/Awana Bros, AMB Jack F. Matlock Jr, Russia, Qanon, and Eric Prince. ****KEY INTEL*****
    I cut out all the bull**** banter, and commercials.
    Broadcasted Live on Infowars 01/05/2018

Quote like - why would the military announce all over the media that they are into using bots ?
    That doesn't make sense that they would broadcast that fact, unless they are trying to
    lose a bot problem they are not in control of, in a noise of bot propaganda.
    This is answered in the vids in #2 showing that bots can be used to create malware
    etc and interfere with each other. I'm not sure if hacking and virus's come under
    this umbrella or not ?

That's more or less expends my IT knowledge .....Now over to Paul or the
    computer techies.........
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 12th January 2018 at 18:02.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Cardillac (12th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th January 2018), Nasu (12th January 2018), norman (12th January 2018), thunder24 (12th January 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

the more Bots, APs, etc. wireless technology we blindlessly (and I mean blindless) accept the more blindlessly we accept Trojan horses; anyone else not grasped that concept yet?

Larry

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Cidersomerset (13th January 2018), findingneo (13th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th January 2018), FreeURmind (12th January 2018), norman (13th January 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    the more Bots, APs, etc. wireless technology we blindlessly (and I mean blindless) accept the more blindlessly we accept Trojan horses; anyone else not grasped that concept yet?

Larry
    That would be a negative ghostrider. Many are unaware they are being microwaved and debating bots. Amongst a pile of other stuff. Though many are aware that THEY have unimaginable tech.

Go figure.

12. Link to Post #7
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

From human to bot trolls...

The West? Trolling foreign states for over a decade – former MI5 agent

RT
    Published time: 12 Jan, 2018 16:45
    Get short URL

ARCHIVE: Force Base in Colorado Springs. © Rick Wilking

Western countries have been running so-called troll farms against other states for a long time and may now be only seeking to expand operations by developing new software, says former MI5 intelligence officer Annie Machon.

The US army is looking for help to access and respond to foreign social media platforms. The software needs to interpret the sentiment within a social media post, and distinguish between negative and positive.

Arabic, Farsi, Russian and Korean are among the languages targeted. It must translate from them, and back to them. The request came from the US Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM).

RT:What's the need for such software?
    Annie Machon: The most obvious interpretation would be that this is a pushback against the allegations that have been made consistently for the last 18 months about so-called “Russian troll farms” influencing elections across the west. It is interesting to see the languages that they are advertising for – the language of Iran, of course, North Korea and Russia. So that will be a sort of giveaway about which countries they want to be targeting.

Having said that though, the timing to me is interesting, because for sure the West has been running so-called troll farms against the other countries as well for a long time. So are they just trying to expand their operations by developing this new software? Or they are trying to disingenuously suggest to people that they haven’t done it before? ‘Only the big bad Russians, only the big bad Chinese have run troll farms’. And they’re beginning to develop this software…

I would say as well, personally the first time I became aware of the concept of troll farms and astroturfing, which is creating fake grassroots movements commenting online, was over a decade ago. And that was coming out of Israel. All our countries do this.

RT:Would such software be a threat, or would it be just used for snooping?
    AM: I think it is one to try and influence people’s attitudes, certain issues. So that can potentially be a threat. That is what America has been saying about the so-called Russian hacking of the American election last year. Yes, it can be used for snooping too. Interestingly, it was only a couple of weeks ago I think, that WikiLeaks revealed a program from GCHQ, which is the UK Government Communications Headquarters, our listening post, which was doing the same sort of trolling and developing the same sort of software between the years 2009-2010. So Britain certainly has been doing exactly the same thing for almost a decade as well.

RT:The US Army Intelligence and Security Command collect intelligence for combat operations. So how would this new software be useful?
    AM: We know that America has this kill list that is signed off by the American President every Tuesday morning, where they can go out and target so-called terrorist suspects across the North Africa, across Central Asia, across the Middle East and take them out with drone strikes. There is no due process, there is no rule of law in this – it is just what the intelligence agencies assessed to be problematic people who might well be involved in terrorist attacks in the future. And they are assassinated. We’ve seen this drone program take out whole villages, village councils, wedding parties right across great swathes of the planet. So if they are beginning to use this new algorithmic software in this way that can potentially target people, I think people need to become very much even more frightened.

RT:The US has continually accused Russia of using bots and troll factories to influence US social media... Isn’t this an attempt to do the same? Isn’t it double standards here?
    AM: Of course it is double standards. As I said, they are probably just expanding a pre-existing program. So if GCHQ in the UK has been doing this since at least 2009, there is no doubt that the NSA (National Security Agency) in America will have been doing the same sort of thing. So they might just be trying to recruit and expand an existing program. Or they might be disingenuously trying to indicate that of course they have never done it before, but they are having to do it now in response to the so-called Russian troll farms and Israeli troll farms or whatever. It is interesting timing and particularly after WikiLeaks revealing what GCHQ has been getting up to.

Related:
    Pentagon bots in your comments? US Army wants AI tool for social networks

Could GCHQ influence Iran protests? They’ve done it before, claims researcher

Russian Twitter Bots Troll NATO
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avid (12th January 2018), Baby Steps (13th January 2018), Cidersomerset (13th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th January 2018), FreeURmind (12th January 2018), Nasu (12th January 2018), norman (12th January 2018), O Donna (13th January 2018), petra (15th January 2018), Sophocles (15th January 2018)

14. Link to Post #8
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

Spectra Meltdown -The demise of Aiv1 in the wild.Rogue. Kill. Rebuild. Resupply.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Cidersomerset (13th January 2018)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,158 times in 1,663 posts

Bots are sneaky with many hiding in plan sight and they are getting better at it all the time from what I've read.

I often wonder how sophisticated a classified bot would be. Would it be indistinguishable to the average computer user that thinks a real human typed out the message after giving it some thought?

Could there come a time when bots will be able to mimics yours, your family, or friend's way of communicating by text?

Interesting times we live in now and into the future.
    Knock Knock

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Cidersomerset (13th January 2018), Hervé (13th January 2018), norman (13th January 2018)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote I often wonder how sophisticated a classified bot would be. Would it be
    indistinguishable to the average computer user that thinks a real human typed out
    the message after giving it some thought?
    He does say aprox 28 mins in "That not having bots that weren't human but
    were claiming to be is an absolute gimme " but you need to listen to the couple
    sentences around it to put in context.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this weeks video cast David talks about algorithms and touches on bots in a geo
    political look at the internet social media and more connecting dots.....

Internet Giants and the Psychological Malignancy

Published on 12 Jan 2018

https://www.davidicke.com/article/450...
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 13th January 2018 at 14:50.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (13th January 2018), FreeURmind (13th January 2018), Hervé (13th January 2018), norman (13th January 2018), O Donna (14th January 2018), Sophocles (15th January 2018)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

I was thinking what bothered me about bots is their inherent apathy and ability to hide. Bots can be programmed to exhibit concern or caring but it is an illusion. In Japan I even read there are men and women marrying VR characters. On some level I'd like to think they know its silliness but when I watch some of them being interviewed I don't get that impression.

What mind is capable of telling itself knows no bounds.
    Knock Knock

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Cidersomerset (14th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (15th January 2018), norman (14th January 2018)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote What mind is capable of telling itself knows no bounds.

We are electrical entities so in our non- physical state we
    can interact with virtual reality in a holographic universe.

We do this now in the physical as the veil between physical
    and non - physical is opening with AI and other discoveries .....

The new Blade Runner movie touches on this....

Japan: A wedding out of this world! Grooms get married to VR brides

Published on 30 Jun 2017
    Grooms in Japan can now wed cartoon, virtual reality brides,
    a ceremony in Tokyo showed, on Friday.The concept comes
    from anime game 'Niitzuma LovelyxCation', where the players
    are able to develop a relationship and have a girlfriend in the
    VR world. In addition to playing Niitzuma at home, thanks to
    its creators, fans of the game can now have this virtual marriage
    ceremony, to bond themselves to their cartoon girlfriends.
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 14th January 2018 at 14:48.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

O Donna (14th January 2018)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    Quote What mind is capable of telling itself knows no bounds.
    We do this now in the physical as the veil between physical
    and non - physical is opening with AI and other discoveries .....
    Yes, I've heard the anticipatory up tempo drum roll.
    Knock Knock

25. The Following User Says Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Cidersomerset (14th January 2018)

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,536 times in 32,788 posts

This is important, as well. (And kinda shocking, too.)

Half of this video is about the use of bots to deliberately spread the Flat Earth meme.

In the video, this site is mentioned. Everyone reading this should take a look.
    And specifically, see this page: (They do this for Facebook, too)
    Here's a screenshot of part of the page. Go figure. Internet reality is not what you think it is.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 15th January 2018 at 15:52.

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Baby Steps (15th January 2018), Cidersomerset (15th January 2018), Did You See Them (15th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (15th January 2018), Hervé (15th January 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (19th January 2018), norman (15th January 2018), O Donna (15th January 2018), petra (15th January 2018), Sophocles (15th January 2018), thunder24 (15th January 2018)

28. Link to Post #15
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

just had a look at optibots lol !

What a world we live in - and it's deemed acceptable !!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (15th January 2018), O Donna (15th January 2018), petra (15th January 2018)

30. Link to Post #16
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Q: What are they botting?
    A: What ever they can!

Optibots is very sad and disappointing to find out about in regards to Facebook and Youtube. I kind of figured this was probably going on, but I didn't realize it was so blatant!!

Playing with fire, we are. And the bots are the fire.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to petra For This Post:

O Donna (15th January 2018)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

My experience with Bots is similar to when someone gets interested in something and start finding it everywhere they look even when not actively looking. Many don't go down that rabbit hole for it's unsettling nature.

An example is when I was shopping for a car and started zeroing in on a particular model, I started seeing that model on the road everywhere I went. While up before then I rarely if ever saw it.

That is what I mean by bots hide in plain sight.

Could that be one of the reasons MSM has the viewer jumping from this to that? The unfocused eye tends to be unable to see things clearly that are right here in plain sight.

Those who design the most devious bots design then for the masses to see the messages they produce, not the bots themselves. Look there not here.

The one sure place I have observed bots in action is intermixed in the comment section of MSM news article comment section.
    Knock Knock

33. Link to Post #18
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

That optibots site is downright scary. Thanks for bringing that to light.

Subjectively, I’ve noticed YouTube accounts I suspect as being “bots” typically have no subscribers, no original videos, and exactly 3 “liked” videos, most of which are terrible quality, uninteresting cellphone videos lasting approx 15 seconds to 1 min 40 sec.

I’ve also noticed that YouTube bots Appear to use Capiltalization in a strange Way in their comments.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th January 2018)

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 times in 1,390 posts

Youtube channel Thinking Slow exposes a massive bot farm (e 30k) sitting inside the Twitter universe amplifying the traffic of four sitting far Left MPs, an ex Prime Minister, famous UK personalities and media talking heads (at the Guardian) who push woke agenda items. They disclose names and methodologies - once you've seen it there is no unseeing it!

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

9ideon (11th August 2022), Harmony (11th August 2022), Inversion (11th August 2022), norman (11th August 2022), Vangelo (11th August 2022)

+ Reply to Thread