Thread: How to be healthy

1. Link to Post #21
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,554 times in 3,482 posts

Default Re: How to be healthy

Quote Posted by Leonard (here)
    Interesting~~
    You said "IIRC something like 50% of our energy is used to digest our food", that is like if we eat normally. Some foods are easier to digest, like if we eat chai seeds, quinoa, banana, papaya and watermelon only,
    will it takes only 20% of our energy to digest foods?

About "when it tells you to eat you must eat, you'll know when to eat again because your hunger will return", I always feed hungry early in the morning, so I can't skip breakfast for fasting? Or maybe I just take chai seeds and 1 banana for breakfast.

All the best to your water fasting, you will get over it
    Yes, it makes sense that if you eat light then it takes less energy to digest it.

When you fast solely on water your hunger disappears completely after a few days and then doesn't return again until your stores are depleted, that's what I was referring to.

I thought of another healthy item for your list BTW; get enough sleep, for obvious reasons such as the need to recharge so we don't wear ourselves out and become stressed, which in turn releases too much cortisol which is highly toxic for our health (kills brain cells). A good night's sleep works wonders and staying well rested goes a long way in keeping us healthy.

Thanks for the encouragement, the saying is you'll get through it BTW.

Update: Oops, just remembered sleep was covered in the body clock part, so ignore that suggestion.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 22nd January 2018 at 03:23. Reason: Correction
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), Leonard (22nd January 2018), Mike (22nd January 2018), Noelle (29th January 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    Everyone's body is complicated. If your heart thinks something is wrong with your body clock, did your heart also teaches you how to change it?
    Are you doing water fasting, petra? Because I just realized that is a different story.
    There's a whole lot that needs to change with my habits, but really I think it's a slow process if I want to do it properly. Feels like first thing should be to see my dentist! I started using the sensitive teeth toothpaste, and then someone mentioned about eliminating flouride. I already know flouride is bad for you, I didn't think it was in my toothpaste though. But then I read it, and that's exactly the "medicinal ingredient" in my toothpaste!! If I stop using the "stupid toothpaste" I end up suffering from pain, so I think that's what I'd like to fix first

I can't do the water fasting because I'm already pretty small and can't afford to lose weight, but really ought to drink more water overall. I'm a terrible coffee drinker, that'll be tough to ever quit.
    I do have teeth sensitivity issues as well. But I realized that if I eat non-sweet foods, I won't feel the pain at all. Some people might have worst teeth sensitivity issues. So ya, go and see your dentist is a good idea. Ask for a non- fluoride solution, I will be interested to know as well.

Same here petra, I am underweight and probably can only do intermittent fasting. Well, I don’t plan to do any fasting at the moment, just that eat when only I am hungry.
    Have you tried to cut down your coffee slowly? It is recommended to buy genuine coffee beans and grind it down to make coffee. What I heard is coffee beans are getting more expensive due to global warming, which is cutting down the places where you can grow coffee beans. Plus, the demand is increasing. If you brought a pack of cheap grinded coffee beans, it could be added with some soil.

@ Rachel, now I got the basic idea of water fasting. If everyone knows water fasting surely this world will improve a lot.

Peace,
    Leonard

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leonard For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (23rd January 2018), Noelle (29th January 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

I do have teeth sensitivity issues as well. But I realized that if I eat non-sweet foods, I won't feel the pain at all. Some people might have worst teeth sensitivity issues. So ya, go and see your dentist is a good idea. Ask for a non- fluoride solution, I will be interested to know as well.
    For me it's not just sweets, anything that sticks to my teeth seems to be trouble, like crackers. Sweet are way worse than crackers though that is for sure, I gave up chocolate long ago.

I am in AWE about the fluoride!!! It is everywhere! I looked at my friend's regular toothpaste... fluoride. I looked at my old toothpaste I had before my sensitive teeth toothpaste... fluoride in that too! At that moment I could actually picture myself talking to the pharmacist in tears saying "I just want toothpaste with no fluoride in it...(boo hoo)"

I'm low on iron and I got some pills small enough to take, one big surprise was that the iron was behind the counter! I swear I was almost in tears looking for the iron too, felt like I was having a blind spurt again. When the girl told me the iron was behind the counter, I wasn't sure if I should jump for joy or facepalm

Same here petra, I am underweight and probably can only do intermittent fasting. Well, I don’t plan to do any fasting at the moment, just that eat when only I am hungry.
    Have you tried to cut down your coffee slowly? It is recommended to buy genuine coffee beans and grind it down to make coffee. What I heard is coffee beans are getting more expensive due to global warming, which is cutting down the places where you can grow coffee beans. Plus, the demand is increasing. If you brought a pack of cheap grinded coffee beans, it could be added with some soil.
    I have tried cutting down on coffee and that gives me headaches, that's an interesting idea regarding drinking better coffee though, thanks for that! I'd save soooo much money too if I could just stop going to Tim Horton's. I don't think I'd ever be able to give it up entirely ha ha... but at the very least should drink water sometimes too. For me, "coffee is food", and I know how silly that sounds.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Noelle (29th January 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

I use this petra:
    Name:  182804152.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  26.1 KB
    I get it from the supermarket, it's specially made for kids. The funny thing is I can't find fluoride-free toothpaste in the pharmacy :/

You could always make your own, it is safe and you know what ingredients are inside it:

I think you got some coffee addiction. Ya, drink self grind high quality coffee but don't get too addicted, hahahaha~~ The worst coffee are those 3 in 1 and 2 in 1 coffee. Never buy those and drink.
    Name:  719mzuqMDwL._SX522_.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  36.0 KB
    Last edited by Leonard; 22nd January 2018 at 13:55.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leonard For This Post:

Noelle (29th January 2018), Ol' Roy (22nd January 2018), Orph (29th January 2018), petra (24th January 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank you Leonard! Wow.... the answer is KIDS toothpaste.... I'm in awe!

I asked about it at the pharmacy yesterday. First I looked through all of their toothpaste and discovered there wasn't any without fluoride, and by that time I was getting pretty mad...

I asked the pharmacist "Is there any such a thing as toothpaste without fluoride?" and she didn't know. I know it exists.... I'm just trying not to be a jerk about it. I explained I thought it was only in the sensitive teeth toothpaste, and that people are starting to talk about how fluoride isn't good for you. Hopefully they'll get some in, but in the meantime I'll look in some supermarkets

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Leonard (26th January 2018), Noelle (29th January 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

I finally found the non-fluoridated toothpaste! So thankfully won't need to try and make it Mine has cute little smiling animals on it (which is just another added bonus!)

Also a good alternative to coffee... apple juice!! I'm still hooked on coffee... but apple juice is pretty addictive too apparently

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Leonard (24th March 2018), Noelle (29th January 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,209 times in 32,905 posts

I finally found the non-fluoridated toothpaste!
    You'll also find MANY varieties in any good health or whole food store.

And on Amazon: search results here. (Note: that's amazon.ca. US readers of course use amazon.com, UK users amazon.co.uk, etc etc)
    Also a good alternative to coffee... apple juice!! I'm still hooked on coffee... but apple juice is pretty addictive too apparently
    That's most likely because apple juice has a very high sugar content, and will give you a (temporary!) blood sugar buzz, just as coffee will.

If you're hooked on having high blood sugar, one option to ameliorate that (calm it all down!) would be the Ketogenic (high fat, low carb) diet.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Leonard (24th March 2018), Noelle (29th January 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018), petra (29th January 2018)

15. Link to Post #28
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks Bill, I have yet to get hooked on Amazon (he he!) but that's very helpful to others who shop online. I would have ended up making my own toothpaste before I'd even consider that.... but lately I'm starting to re-consider. Shopping online is starting to feel like the only option with some things.

You're probably right about sugar! I have a lot of sugar in my coffee too... three spoonfuls. Going to have to cut down on sugar. My teeth will thank me later

I've never heard of a ketogenic diet before, I'll check that out more. It seems a lot like vegetarian so far. I did a quick peek at Wikipedia too and for the Classic diet it said "Only low-carbohydrate fruits and vegetables are allowed" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet#Variants

Trying to "listen to my body" too, and I think I might make a good vegetarian. Meat does mostly kind of sicken me to be honest, can't even touch the raw chicken!!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th January 2018), Leonard (24th March 2018), Noelle (29th January 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

You're probably right about sugar! I have a lot of sugar in my coffee too... three spoonfuls. Going to have to cut down on sugar. My teeth will thank me later
    Well, now I know I'm right! But more important may be your pancreas, which will be under continual daily high overload stress producing a great deal of insulin to bring your high blood sugar DOWN to normal levels.

If your pancreas breaks, then you're a diabetic.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Leonard (24th March 2018), Noelle (29th January 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018), petra (29th January 2018)

19. Link to Post #30
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,332 times in 1,632 posts

I finally found the non-fluoridated toothpaste! So thankfully won't need to try and make it Mine has cute little smiling animals on it (which is just another added bonus!)

Wow, Colgate has fluoride-free toothpaste. Must be new. I use Tom's of Maine, but there are at least two other fluoride-free brands at my local grocery store. Be sure to look at ingredients. I bought one not too long ago -- can't remember the brand -- and noticed it had sugar in it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Leonard (24th March 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018)

21. Link to Post #31
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by LadyM (here)
    Be sure to look at ingredients. I bought one not too long ago -- can't remember the brand -- and noticed it had sugar in it.
    Good point. I started wondering about my mouthwash too... no fluoride in there, but sure is lots of other stuff. At least I'm spitting it out... mostly

Well Glycerin is kind of like sugar, and when I looked up Glycol first thing I learned is that's in antifreeze. That must be where the sweet taste comes from... other than the "flavor" ingredient. Here's the ingredients of the Colgate stuff:

Quote Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, hydrated silica, sorbitol, water, poloxamer 407, cellulose gum, sodium saccharin, citric acid, flavor

22. The Following User Says Thank You to petra For This Post:

Noelle (29th January 2018)

23. Link to Post #32
    United States Avalon Member onevoice's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,964 times in 539 posts

Quote Posted by LadyM (here)
    Wow, Colgate has fluoride-free toothpaste. Must be new. I use Tom's of Maine, but there are at least two other fluoride-free brands at my local grocery store. Be sure to look at ingredients. I bought one not too long ago -- can't remember the brand -- and noticed it had sugar in it.
    Fluoride is not the only ingredient to avoid in toothpaste. I used to use Tom's of Maine, but our family has switched to safer toothpaste. Tom's of Maine toothpaste contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), which is a known carcinogen and commonly found in many soap and shampoo to make lather. You can read more about SLS here.

I recommend a toothpaste Himalaya toothpaste

Here are the ingredients list for this toothpaste:

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onevoice For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th January 2018), Leonard (24th March 2018), Noelle (30th January 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018), selinam (12th February 2018), sunwings (29th January 2018)

25. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member anandacate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 times in 131 posts

I have been following Dr. Mercola's Metabolic Mitochondrial Therapy (MMT), which includes intermittent fasting, since last summer (June 2017). Am really enjoying the results so far; mainly changing my body composition from fat (lost 24 pounds) to muscle (still working on more muscles, but they are starting to show!), clarity of mind, more strength, more energy, and more stamina. Because I am well over 60, it took awhile for my system to convert from glucose to ketone burning. (BTW, I have been a raw fooder since 2003; however, not necessary for MMT.) The only testing I have done is test my urine with ketone strips.

I have the book "Fat for Fuel," which is useful if you really want to do this. Dr. Mercola emphasizes the necessity, over the long term, to cycle in and out of ketosis once you convert to burning ketones. He also emphasizes to keep protein intake at an adequate level, not excessive.

The first link gives an overview on the basics of Mercola's MMT program with a video interview of Dr. Mercola from May 21, 2017. Near the end of the article there is a section called "Getting Started" that has a link for the CRON-o-Meter, a free tool that I think is essential if you decide to do this.

1. Basic Introduction to Metabolic Mitochondrial Therapy

The second link is from a woman who helped validate what I was going through during the "metabolic shift," which is a name for the process one goes through when switching from burning carbs (glucose) to burning fat (ketones). Also, I appreciated a woman's point of view about the ketogenic diet. Don't know if I will ever get my body to look like hers, though! (BTW, I will be 70 years old in less than a month.)

2. My Experience with Ketogenic Diet

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anandacate For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th January 2018), Leonard (24th March 2018), Noelle (30th January 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018), onevoice (29th January 2018)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Quote Posted by anandacate (here)
    I have been following Dr. Mercola's Metabolic Mitochondrial Therapy (MMT), which includes intermittent fasting, since last summer (June 2017). Am really enjoying the results so far; mainly changing my body composition from fat (lost 24 pounds) to muscle (still working on more muscles, but they are starting to show!), clarity of mind, more strength, more energy, and more stamina. Because I am well over 60, it took awhile for my system to convert from glucose to ketone burning. (BTW, I have been a raw fooder since 2003; however, not necessary for MMT.) The only testing I have done is test my urine with ketone strips.

I have the book "Fat for Fuel," which is useful if you really want to do this. Dr. Mercola emphasizes the necessity, over the long term, to cycle in and out of ketosis once you convert to burning ketones. He also emphasizes to keep protein intake at an adequate level, not excessive.

The first link gives an overview on the basics of Mercola's MMT program with a video interview of Dr. Mercola from May 21, 2017. Near the end of the article there is a section called "Getting Started" that has a link for the CRON-o-Meter, a free tool that I think is essential if you decide to do this.

1. Basic Introduction to Metabolic Mitochondrial Therapy

The second link is from a woman who helped validate what I was going through during the "metabolic shift," which is a name for the process one goes through when switching from burning carbs (glucose) to burning fat (ketones). Also, I appreciated a woman's point of view about the ketogenic diet. Don't know if I will ever get my body to look like hers, though! (BTW, I will be 70 years old in less than a month.)

2. My Experience with Ketogenic Diet

Excellent and important — thank you.

I've copied this post to the Ketogenic Diet thread, as it's a valuable supplement to the material referenced and discussed there.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (1st February 2018), East Sun (1st February 2018), Leonard (24th March 2018), Noelle (30th January 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018)

29. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,579 times in 1,719 posts

I've had heart attacks and strokes and open heart surgery. At one point I stopped taking prescription drugs but then later had another stroke.
    So I guess I will have to keep taking drugs that kill 100,000 people in the US each year in order to "save my life."

I go to a natureopathic Dr. also and get advice from him but I still have to take the drugs.
    Maybe at some point if my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are ok I may be able to stop taking those damn drugs.

i
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st February 2018), earthdreamer (2nd February 2018), Leonard (24th March 2018), O Donna (2nd February 2018)

31. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member earthdreamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Spirulina is the newest addition to my supplements for my health. Following a mostly vegetarian diet, some fish, I must take a good vitamin B (B100 is our choice). Less sugar and salt helps me. I'm getting more exercise lately thanks to a free fitness class nearby. I feel I have to do all I can to focus on maintaining and improving my health as I age having passed my fiftieth year. The body just needs extra care after so many decades under the weight of gravity, ha. My skin doesn't absorb sun so well anymore so vitamin D3 is essential. Vitamin C helps boost my immune system. Magnesium Citrate is helping these old bones and muscles. Fish oil helps my brain. And last year I was turned on to the benefits of K2 for extra bone strength.

My dad is also on pharma drugs for his heart disease and no doubt they have saved his life and continue to keep him alive. He always had good exercise maintenance but other unhealthy lifestyle choices made his heart weak and now drugs are necessary for him. I'm trying to strengthen my heart to hopefully lesson the potential impact of a similar fate.

https://draxe.com/spirulina-benefits/

just a note to add that like others have said, hydration with quality filtered (or spring) water is SO important for health. I get the best energy from raw fruits and some veggies, those raw enzymes are really really healthy. Dental health is very important too, flossing regularly will save the gums from disease.
    Last edited by earthdreamer; 2nd February 2018 at 16:21.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthdreamer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd February 2018), Leonard (24th March 2018), onevoice (2nd February 2018)

33. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,035 times in 358 posts

I was glad to see qigong mentioned. I'm currently taking a great qigong course and am looking forward to reaping the many benefits of this subtle yet powerful physical art

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebecca For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Leonard (24th March 2018)

35. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member onevoice's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,964 times in 539 posts

Quote Posted by rebecca7411 (here)
    I was glad to see qigong mentioned. I'm currently taking a great qigong course and am looking forward to reaping the many benefits of this subtle yet powerful physical art
    QiGong is a good method with many different means/ways to maintain one's health. However, there is another method that is simple and effective to heal ourselves and others. I have met and learned this method from the co-founder of this method. She is coming to Cocoa Beach, FL in May to teach beginning and intermediate class free of charge.

Longevitology Registration 2018.pdf

36. The Following User Says Thank You to onevoice For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Quote Posted by East Sun (here)
    I've had heart attacks and strokes and open heart surgery. At one point I stopped taking prescription drugs but then later had another stroke.
    So I guess I will have to keep taking drugs that kill 100,000 people in the US each year in order to "save my life."

I go to a natureopathic Dr. also and get advice from him but I still have to take the drugs.
    Maybe at some point if my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are ok I may be able to stop taking those damn drugs.

i
    Hello East Sun, allopathy uses surgeries and toxic medicines to mask the symptoms of the diseases. They didn't really cure it, so the patient will be back for more treatments, hence making more money.
    Have you tried Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)? They are using more of the homeopathy approach. Which uses acupuncture and natural herbs to adjust your body and boost your immunity to fight the diseases. It will take awhile to adjust back your body, typically 1 month to 1 year. But once your body is adjusted, you no longer need the herbs. TCM will really help you to save a lot of health, money and time.
    However, like every different field, there will always have black sheep. So you need to look for a creditable TCM practitioner and never believe in a TCM practitioner who get his/her cert in 3 months.

Wish you Speedy recovery and all the best bro~~ Peace

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020)

39. Link to Post #40
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 times in 1,199 posts

Lightbulb Re: How to be healthy

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    Everything stems from the thoughts/thinking patterns of the human being ... Negative thoughts negative results, positive thoughts, positive results, where the mind goes the body follows ... You reap what you sow ... Cause and effect , yin and yang... It's going to start with a persons thinking...
    This is exactly my philosophy. Do you know the kybalion?

The Principle of Mentalism “The All is Spirit; the Universe is Mental "

The Principle of Correspondence “What is above is like what is below; what is below is like what is above”

The Principle of Vibration “Nothing rests; everything stirs; everything vibrates ”

The Principle of Polarity “Everything is Double; everything has poles; everything has two extremes; similar and unlike have the same meaning; the opposite poles have an identical nature but different degrees; the extremes meet; all truths are only half truths; all paradoxes can be reconciled ”

The Principle of Rhythm "Everything flows, inside and out; everything has its duration; everything evolves then degenerates; the swing of the pendulum manifests itself in everything; the measure of its oscillation to the right is similar to the measure of its oscillation to the left; the rhythm is constant ”

The Principle of Cause and Effect "Every Cause has its Effect; every Effect has its Cause; everything happens in accordance with the law; Luck is just a name given to the little-known Law; there are many planes of causality, but nothing escapes the law "

The Principle of Gender “There is a gender in all things; everything has its Masculine and Feminine Principles; Gender manifests itself on all levels ”

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (3rd December 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast