Thread: The Age of Adolescence

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,410 times in 621 posts

Default The Age of Adolescence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42732442

Summary
    Adolescence is the phase of life stretching between childhood and adulthood, and its definition has long posed a conundrum. Adolescence encompasses elements of biological growth and major social role transitions, both of which have changed in the past century. Earlier puberty has accelerated the onset of adolescence in nearly all populations, while understanding of continued growth has lifted its endpoint age well into the 20s. In parallel, delayed timing of role transitions, including completion of education, marriage, and parenthood, continue to shift popular perceptions of when adulthood begins. Arguably, the transition period from childhood to adulthood now occupies a greater portion of the life course than ever before at a time when unprecedented social forces, including marketing and digital media, are affecting health and wellbeing across these years. An expanded and more inclusive definition of adolescence is essential for developmentally appropriate framing of laws, social policies, and service systems. Rather than age 10–19 years, a definition of 10–24 years corresponds more closely to adolescent growth and popular understandings of this life phase and would facilitate extended investments across a broader range of settings.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...18)30022-1/ppt

So here in the UK, at the age of 18 we are old enough to be sent to some war zone and get slaughtered, but we still have 6 more years before we become an "adult"
    Last edited by boja; 19th January 2018 at 09:55.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boja For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (19th January 2018), Nasu (19th January 2018), petra (19th January 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,541 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: The Age of Adolescence

When I saw the thread title, I thought this might be a thread about the current 'age' of mankind.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

boja (19th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th January 2018), GaelVictor (19th January 2018), Nasu (19th January 2018), petra (19th January 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Avalon Member GaelVictor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 times in 316 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    When I saw the thread title, I thought this might be a thread about the current 'age' of mankind.
    You can be such an optimist.
    "Dodecahedron; 12 faces 20 points 30 edges 6480 degrees"

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GaelVictor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th January 2018), boja (19th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th January 2018), Nasu (19th January 2018), petra (19th January 2018), Wind (19th January 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by boja (here)
    So here in the UK, at the age of 18 we are old enough to be sent to some war zone and get slaughtered, but we still have 6 more years before we become an "adult"
    I'm liking the use of your "stupid quotes" around the world "adult", that made me laugh.

At 18 I was clueless, and I wasn't much better at 24. Heck, I barely consider myself an adult now, and I'm 37!

As for being sent into war zones, screw that! It's a waste of time sending people who don't want to be there. They'll just end up firing their guns into the air.

People should have to volunteer to be a part of war... in my opinion. Following that though, what would the minimum age even be? I suppose if an 8 year old really really wanted to join the war, who am I to say no?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th January 2018), boja (19th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th January 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    In that case the title should be about infancy.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th January 2018), boja (19th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th January 2018), Nasu (19th January 2018)

+ Reply to Thread