+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Up Where We Belong

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

Cool Up Where We Belong

The song "Up Where We Belong" as sung by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes was playing in the grocery store the other day (lyrics below). I hadn't heard it for a long time. Songs that are from that era I can easily identify as having come out before or after June 1983, because of a traumatic event that happened to me that month. This one I knew must have come out before June 1983, since I recalled feelings of happiness and positivity associated with hearing it on the radio and playing it for my piano lesson.

The lyrics spoke to me so clearly this week. It's all about living in the present and loving the moment and those around you. What a beautiful song! I found the sheet music and played it again this morning for the first time in decades. I did not realize that Buffy Ste Marie was one of the songwriters.

I realized that it's taken me over thirty years to decide to rejoin the world again. Thank you everyone on the Project Avalon forum for helping me through it.

https://youtu.be/M8sFtJV6-C8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M8sFtJV6-C8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Up Where We Belong

Who knows what tomorrow brings
    In a world few hearts survive
    All I know is the way I feel
    When it's real, I keep it alive
    The road is long
    There are mountains in our way
    But we climb a step every day

Love lift us up where we belong
    Where the eagles cry
    On a mountain high
    Far from the world below
    Up where the clear winds blow

Some hang on to used to be
    Live their lives looking behind
    All we have is here and now
    All our lives, out there to find
    The road is long
    There are mountains in our way
    But we climb a step every day

Where the eagles cry
    On a mountain high
    Far from the world we know
    Where the clear winds blow

Time goes by
    No time to cry
    Life's you and I
    Alive today

Where the eagles cry
    On a mountain high
    Far from the world we know
    Where the clear winds blow
    Where the eagles cry
    On a mountain high

Songwriters: Jack Nitzsche / Buffy Saint-Marie / Will Jennings
    Last edited by Smell the Roses; 24th January 2018 at 20:21.
    There's no time like the present.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Bluegreen (25th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th January 2018), Franny (24th January 2018), Justplain (24th January 2018), O Donna (24th January 2018), Patient (24th January 2018), petra (25th January 2018), Spiral (24th January 2018), Sunny-side-up (27th January 2018), toppy (24th January 2018), Valerie Villars (25th January 2018), wnlight (29th January 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,221 times in 2,093 posts

Default Re: Up Where We Belong

Music is amazing - when you hear a song that lifts you like you just had is an awesome experience. Thank you for posting this - I use music often to help energize myself. It is good to remind people sometimes because we get so busy and distracted at times! 😃

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Bluegreen (25th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th January 2018), petra (25th January 2018), Smell the Roses (24th January 2018), Valerie Villars (25th January 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Music has saved my life over and over. It goes far beyond just healing and can actually help you transcend. There are other things it does that I can't really explain. I just experienced it and can't put it into words.

If we are mostly water, think of the power of words and music when water is exposed to that which has high spiritual value.

I always loved the tongue in cheek aspect of blues as a way of helping me transcend the troubles of this world. And Rhythm and Blues is the best high energy ever. I used to go to a place called Ruby's Roadhouse every Friday and Saturday and they had the most amazing bands there. I would dance and dance and dance. I loved it.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bluegreen (25th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th January 2018), petra (25th January 2018), Smell the Roses (26th January 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

Quote Posted by Villival (here)
    Music has saved my life over and over. It goes far beyond just healing and can actually help you transcend. There are other things it does that I can't really explain. I just experienced it and can't put it into words.

If we are mostly water, think of the power of words and music when water is exposed to that which has high spiritual value.

I always loved the tongue in cheek aspect of blues as a way of helping me transcend the troubles of this world. And Rhythm and Blues is the best high energy ever. I used to go to a place called Ruby's Roadhouse every Friday and Saturday and they had the most amazing bands there. I would dance and dance and dance. I loved it.
    Sounds like fun! Music used to be a huge part of my life, but I have allowed it to take a lower priority. Time to move it back up the priority list! My piano is out of tune, so time to call the piano tuner!
    There's no time like the present.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

petra (26th January 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

My Aunt Ione has sung and played the piano, with a metronome, every day of her life. I just saw her recently and she has the skin, energy and life of a 40 year old. She is in her 80's. I am sure the music is the reason.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Smell the Roses (27th January 2018)

+ Reply to Thread