+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raw Sprouts and Salmonella contamination alert

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Exclamation Raw Sprouts and Salmonella contamination alert

Another Salmonella Outbreak Has Been Linked with Raw Sprouts

Reference for more info: http://www.contagionlive.com/news/an...d-with-sprouts

Mullti-State outbreak

Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois, with the Wisconsin-Illinois region appearing to be the focal point of the outbreak

On January 19, 2018, Jimmy John’s announced that it had directed all its locations chain-wide to temporarily stop serving sprouts.

History:
    1. A Salmonella Saintpaul outbreak in 2009 linked with alfalfa sprouts; 256 cases
    2. A multistate Salmonella outbreak in 2010 linked with alfalfa sprouts; 140 cases
    3. A Salmonella outbreak in 2010 linked with clover sprouts; 7 cases
    4. A multistate E. coli O26 outbreak in 2012 linked with alfalfa sprouts; 29 cases
    5. A multistate E. coli O121 outbreak in 2014 linked with alfalfa sprouts; 19 cases

Sprouts can sometimes be a “stealth ingredient,” served on salads, sandwiches, or wraps, at food establishments, according to the US Food and Drug Administration, sometimes without any indication. Children, older adults, pregnant women, and immunocompromised individuals should be cognizant of this when eating out and should avoid eating raw or lightly cooked sprouts of any kind.

Most individuals who are infected with Salmonella tend to present with symptoms 12 to 72 hours after exposure to the bacteria, according to the CDC. Salmonella infections usually resolve on their own within 1 week with a treatment of oral fluids. More severe cases may require intravenous rehydration. Antibiotic treatment should only be considered in those patients with serious illness, “such as severe diarrhea, high fever, bloodstream infection, or condition requiring hospitalization.”

“There are a number of approved techniques to kill harmful bacteria that may be present on seeds and even tests for seeds during sprouting. But, no treatment is guaranteed to eliminate all harmful bacteria.”

Warning
    Sprouts continue to be a public health concern; in fact, director of the Center for Food Safety at the University of Georgia, Mike Doyle, is quoted as saying “I consider sprouts to be among the most risky foods sold at retail.”

The Wisconsin-Illinois region appears to be the focal point of the outbreak.

2. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Default Re: Raw Sprouts and Salmonella contamination alert

Sprouting on your own? DISINFECT the seeds..

https://www.botanicalinterests.com/a...arvesting-Tips

Although disinfecting seed is not necessary for sprouting, we recommend disinfecting your seeds prior to sprouting, because if not properly disinfected, all seeds have the possibility of carrying foodborne pathogens.

To ensure you are purchasing the safest possible sprouting seeds, a sample from each lot we receive is sent to an independent laboratory where it must test negative for foodborne pathogens including Escherichia coli (E. coli), Salmonella, Listeria, and Staphococcus aureus (staph).

For maximum safety it is recommended that you disinfect the outside of your seeds and your sprouting container prior to sprouting.

There are many methods of seed preparation ranging from rinsing with hot water or soaking in hot hydrogen peroxide, to washing with vinegar, a diluted bleach solution, or grapefruit seed extract.

The current recommendation to use in the home from the University of California-Davis is to treat seed by heating on a stove for 5 minutes in a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide (available in drug stores and pharmacies) at 140°F. It is important to maintain this temperature using a clean, accurate cooking thermometer.

Exceeding this temperature may damage or kill seeds resulting in poor germination. Remove seed and rinse under running room temperature water for 1 minute.

Discard the hydrogen peroxide solution and do not reuse. For more information see the publication 8151 Growing Sprouts at Home.

To reduce the risk of contamination in the home we recommend that sprouts are grown in clean, sanitized containers away from areas of other food preparation and pets. People in high-risk categories such as children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems are advised not to eat raw sprouts.

Q) What is the “white stuff” growing on my radish/broccoli sprouts?

A) The appearance of roots can sometimes surprise us, because they’re usually underground where we can’t see their complex structure! Some seed varieties produce roots with amazingly fuzzy white hairs that appear in a mass. (Radish and broccoli are good examples.) These white roots are natural and are not mold or fungus.

Using RAW CHIA seeds for blending? DISINFECT your seeds (as above).

Blending in off-the-shelf greens? DISINFECT your produce.. Never assume it's biologically clean from the shelf or supermarket..

Quote Q) How long can sprouts be stored in the refrigerator?

A) After your sprouts are the desired length, they should be placed in the refrigerator 6-8 hours after your last rinse. The cooler temperature will slow their growth process, so they remain at your favorite harvest size for a longer period. It is best to eat them within one week for optimum freshness. After that first week they will start to decline and lose nutrients and flavor.

Q) How do I know if my sprouts have reached the end of their lifespan?

A) If you see, smell, or taste any sign of declining freshness, it’s time to toss the lot and start a new crop.

Q) How many seeds should you use in the sprouter, and what will they yield?
    How do I know when my sprouts are ready for harvest?

Q) How can I prevent some of my seeds from falling through the slits in the tray?

A) The slits were made to be very small while still allowing drainage and air circulation. Even so, some of the tiniest seeds may fall through. Pre-soaking seeds in water before placing them in the tray will allow them to plump up a bit so they’ll be less likely to fall through.

Q) How can I prevent the seeds from escaping from underneath the divider into the adjacent section?

A) Check to see if you have the divider “foot” facing down. If the divider is placed properly, it will go all the way to the bottom of the tray and prevent seepage.

3. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,035 times in 786 posts

Default Re: Raw Sprouts and Salmonella contamination alert

Good information!
    Never thought of using hydrogen peroxide....food grade is available and maybe just for the purpose of cleaning foods?

I use my ozonator in a glass bowl with cold filtered water for almost all fruits and vegetables....everything stays "fresher" much much longer.
    I do this primarily because even organics can be contaminated with pesticides, bacteria, and other undesirables.
    I expect a little bath in Colloidal Silver would also work well.

Would fermenting vegetables aid in removing harmful organisms?
    Although MMS can make an effective water disinfectant....not certain I'd want it on food continually...but someone else can chime in with that.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

avid (27th January 2018), Bob (27th January 2018), Nasu (27th January 2018), Sunny-side-up (27th January 2018)

+ Reply to Thread