+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Mind-reading' computers could help police

1. Link to Post #1
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,880 times in 1,035 posts

Default 'Mind-reading' computers could help police

"Mind-reading" computers could be routinely used to enhance the human brain in as little as five years, Sky News has been told.

The technology, which monitors brain activity, could help people analyse complex information and make critical decisions.

Radiologists scanning X-rays for cancer, City traders making multi-million pound transactions and police searching a crowd for a suspect's face could be the first to benefit.

Dr Davide Valeriani, a senior research officer at the University of Essex, said any task requiring prolonged concentration could be made safer and more accurate with the help of computers.

"We are doing this for human enhancement, to go beyond our limits," he said.

"In the future we could have sensors on our head, for instance integrated into a cap or an earphone, to track our level of concentration," he said.

"It could even send us feedback, telling us that we're not focused. Drivers driving many hours a day could use it to improve safety on the road."

https://news.sky.com/story/mind-read...aders-11238096

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

dynamo (5th February 2018), ghostrider (6th February 2018), Innocent Warrior (6th February 2018), justntime2learn (7th February 2018), KiwiElf (6th February 2018), Nasu (6th February 2018), O Donna (6th February 2018), petra (6th February 2018), Rebecca (20th February 2018), william r sanford72 (6th February 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

Default Re: 'Mind-reading' computers could help police

Yikes, reminds me of Black Mirror. Worth checking out for a sobering and confronting depiction of where we could be headed with the way we're developing and using technology. If you watch it you're probably going to want to skip the first episode, it's brutal and will make you squirm in a way that only the Brits can pull off with their hard hitting brilliance.

Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

KiwiElf (6th February 2018), Merlinus (2nd October 2018), Nasu (6th February 2018), O Donna (6th February 2018), petra (6th February 2018), william r sanford72 (6th February 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,159 times in 1,663 posts

These are words designed to blind the people from the cliff 'beyond'.

Quote I cannot accept your canon that we are to judge Pope and King unlike other men, with a favourable presumption that they did no wrong. If there is any presumption it is the other way against holders of power, increasing as the power increases. Historic responsibility has to make up for the want of legal responsibility. Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. -- Lord Acton
    Knock Knock

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (6th February 2018), justntime2learn (7th February 2018), Rebecca (20th February 2018), william r sanford72 (7th February 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

I don't see how humans can possible be enhanced by the insane ideas of insane humans using non human technology. Most inhuman. They are trying to get rid of us.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

8. Link to Post #5
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,816 times in 4,349 posts

Quote Posted by Villival (here)
    I don't see how humans can possible be enhanced by the insane ideas of insane humans using non human technology.
    Exactly right. It's "transhumanism" - such a glamorous name. People buy into its vision, and a glorious future of super-human powers and eternal life. But that will lead to nowhere but degeneracy, decay, and eventually extinction.

The path of natural evolution has been and always shall be spiritual - not technological. We are spiritual beings - not technological. One is not the other, and one cannot be the other.

Enlighten the soul, enrich the mind. Matter follows spirit always. Over time, the vibration of humanity will expand, and the body evolve with it.

They are trying to get rid of us.
    Not all of us. The goal seems to be humanity as a machine. An obedient, programmable (soulless) machine.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

ghostrider (6th February 2018), justntime2learn (7th February 2018), petra (6th February 2018), Valerie Villars (6th February 2018), william r sanford72 (6th February 2018)

10. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    The goal seems to be humanity as a machine. An obedient, programmable (soulless) machine.
    I think so too. The thought in my head is a lot like the Do The Evolution music video by Pearl Jam. There's a part in the music video where there's just reams of people all hooked up to computers. I find that video both beautiful and stomach turning at the same time.

Quote Posted by O Donna (here)

These are words designed to blind the people from the cliff 'beyond'.

Quote I cannot accept your canon that we are to judge Pope and King unlike other men, with a favourable presumption that they did no wrong. If there is any presumption it is the other way against holders of power, increasing as the power increases. Historic responsibility has to make up for the want of legal responsibility. Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. -- Lord Acton
    I can see two sides of this. I understand wanting to test limits. Think about in video games, what's one of the first things you do? Test the limits, of course!

In regard to absolute power corrupting absolutely, I tend to disagree there. Every time I hear those words, something feels tricky. Maybe I'm just really stubborn, but personally I just feel like I cannot be corrupted no matter how much "power" I have.

I disagree with knowledge is power too. Knowledge isn't power.... power is power

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th February 2018), Valerie Villars (6th February 2018), william r sanford72 (6th February 2018)

12. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    Maybe I'm just really stubborn, but personally I just feel like I cannot be corrupted no matter how much "power" I have.
    I know what you mean - I feel the same. However, I do believe that quote is accurate for "this world" as it now is. Because today Power is held by those who rose to the top by actively seeking it. There's already a corruption at work in anyone driven by ambition to hold power.

I have long, long held the opinion that 'Power' should only be given to those who do not desire it. That is the only character trait that should qualify for 'Power'. And then, spread it evenly on the shoulders of many. Divide the burden, distribute the weight. Corruption would disappear.

Of course, that would never happen in a current world model that awards Power with greater corruption, and corruption with greater Power.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), petra (6th February 2018)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Petra, I can't be corrupted by personal power either. I found myself arguing with myself about this when I had it and felt instinctively it was a trick. All glory and power to God. Besides, I don't think I'm smart enough to tell anyone else what to do and neither is anyone else smart enough to tell anyone else what to do. That's the big lie. Trust yourself.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th February 2018), petra (6th February 2018)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

Sounds like an end around for mind control to me ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), Innocent Warrior (6th February 2018), Valerie Villars (6th February 2018)

18. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Petra, I can't be corrupted by personal power either. I found myself arguing with myself about this when I had it and felt instinctively it was a trick. All glory and power to God. Besides, I don't think I'm smart enough to tell anyone else what to do and neither is anyone else smart enough to tell anyone else what to do. That's the big lie. Trust yourself.
    It's such a relief to know I am not alone.
    I remember trying to decide what I thought the "biggest problem" in the world was, and it's really hard to do. One problem that stood out is "TELLING PEOPLE WHAT TO DO". Could that be the BIGGEST problem? Other problems that come really close to #1 in my mind are Language and Ignorance.

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Maybe I'm just really stubborn, but personally I just feel like I cannot be corrupted no matter how much "power" I have.
    I know what you mean - I feel the same. However, I do believe that quote is accurate for "this world" as it now is. Because today Power is held by those who rose to the top by actively seeking it. There's already a corruption at work in anyone driven by ambition to hold power.

I have long, long held the opinion that 'Power' should only be given to those who do not desire it. That is the only character trait that should qualify for 'Power'. And then, spread it evenly on the shoulders of many. Divide the burden, distribute the weight. Corruption would disappear.

Of course, that would never happen in a current world model that awards Power with greater corruption, and corruption with greater Power.
    I see it too Star Mariner. The quote does make some sense, because as people we're inherently flawed and imperfect. I guess I am thinking more in the spiritual sense. Here comes Spiderman quote again... "With great power comes great responsibility". Well, I guess that means with absolute power comes absolute responsibility (shudder)

Delegating and dividing up responsibility seems like the only solution. We all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Corruption is awarding more power already too. Some employers are actually looking for dishonest people on purpose, for various reasons. I'm guilty of this too you know, I needed a lawyer and I wanted to win my case. We know what lawyers are like, and of course I am going to choose the best (sneakiest) one. Did I win? No. Do I regret choosing the sneaky one? Yes.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th February 2018), Valerie Villars (6th February 2018)

20. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I guess I am thinking more in the spiritual sense. Here comes Spiderman quote again... "With great power comes great responsibility".
    I was thinking spiritually too, as in those who don't desire or pursue power - you, and me - are aware enough to know the traps, see through the illusion. I don't think you'll find many spiritually advanced people in any position of Power on this planet - and I include the Churches in that.

Occasionally, one will come into the world for a special mission, to steer the ship back on course. JFK comes to mind. But it's the exception rather than the rule.

This world is a kindergarten for developing souls. There are all sorts here, but mainly the young and inexperienced. You need not look far to see the mess that's been made of things - made worse by something pretty dark also coming in to play in the sand-pen. It was invited in, and now things are out of control.

It could be the way it's meant to be...for a while. But not for much longer, I do feel. It cannot go on if the human race is to survive.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), petra (6th February 2018), Valerie Villars (6th February 2018), william r sanford72 (7th February 2018)

22. Link to Post #12
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,880 times in 1,035 posts

Nothing is going to stop this coming - people will be clamouring to snap these up as soon as "Apple" start releasing a nice shiny headset with nueral nodes that plugs them straight into facebook and snap chat or whatever is the flavour of the day, by which time, after being slowly poisoned by gender bending plastics we will have a world full of sexless hive mind cloned slaves happy to be exploited - Happy Daze !

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), petra (6th February 2018), Valerie Villars (6th February 2018), william r sanford72 (7th February 2018)

24. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 times in 2,841 posts

This novel/movie comes to mind...A Scanner Darkly - "They are watching me".

A Scanner Darkly is a 2006 science fiction thriller directed by Richard Linklater based on the novel of the same name by Philip K. Dick. The film tells the story of identity and deception in a near-future dystopia constantly under intrusive high-technology police surveillance in the midst of a drug addiction epidemic. The movie was filmed digitally and then animated using interpolated rotoscope over the original footage, giving it its distinctive look.

William..
    TRUTH and BALANCE

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), Innocent Warrior (6th February 2018), Valerie Villars (6th February 2018)

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Phillip K. Dick holds a very special place in my heart. I feel he is my spiritual brother after reading his stuff. I didn't know anything about him either, until one of my et angels asked me if I knew what a pink beam was. I didn't so I looked it up and learned a few things. I think he was telling me someone else had had a pink beam about me. I wish I would have a pink beam about me because I'm still confused as hell.

I also am of the opinion, along with Phillip K. Dick, that this timeline (the one with Jesus Christ) was hijacked and we are all here trying to unhijack it. But, then again I'm stuck in this soup with the rest of you alphabet letters, so what do I know?

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), petra (7th February 2018), william r sanford72 (6th February 2018)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

And by the way Petra, it's a huge relief to me to know I'm not alone, too. And there is another part of their big lie and hijacking. If people are made to feel crazy or alone, then they keep us separated which is the biggest lie of all. I hope you know how very much I love and appreciate you. I can't even believe I have a place to talk about all my experiences and know that even if others didn't have the same experience, they have had ones just as out of the box as mine.

Remember, "When a true genius appears on the scene, he will be known by this; all of the dunces will be in a confederacy against him." Much love.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), petra (7th February 2018), william r sanford72 (7th February 2018)

30. Link to Post #16
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks

The answer to the question of whether power corrupts or not is subject to how the power is gained, if it wasn't earned then it will corrupt and also it will be limited. The irony though is that a human being who earned all the power a human can possibly have, which would exceed the capabilities of any technology we could imagine, would know that it is not he or she on the physical level who actually wields the power, and such an individual would know that because of how it is earned, without that understanding they'd never unlock all that potential. So there are no shortcuts to real, unlimited power and only the purest state of being will ever achieve it and it will not be corrupted.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2018), O Donna (7th February 2018), petra (7th February 2018), Valerie Villars (7th February 2018), william r sanford72 (7th February 2018)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 times in 310 posts

Hi Villival!
    "Remember, "When a true genius appears on the scene, he will be known by this; all of the dunces will be in a confederacy against him."
    Sheer brilliance!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to gnostic9 For This Post:

Valerie Villars (7th February 2018)

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Rachel, the bitch is that when it is gained legitimately, the bearer has no ****ing idea how the hell it happened because they can't conceive it would happen to some poor little schmuck like them and then all hell breaks loose. It's a real see-saw.

Gnostic9, it's one of my favorite books, "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. I think it won a Pullitzer, or some really big literary reward. The guyt who wrote it committed suicide before his book was ever published. His mom submitted it to Tulane University, I think, and then, as they say, history was made.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (7th February 2018), petra (7th February 2018), william r sanford72 (7th February 2018)

36. Link to Post #19
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Rachel, the bitch is that when it is gained legitimately, the bearer has no ****ing idea how the hell it happened because they can't conceive it would happen to some poor little schmuck like them and then all hell breaks loose. It's a real see-saw.
    Hmm, it might help me to see that if you expand on it with a specific case because in the state I'm referring to I can't see how they wouldn't have that awareness (take Jesus as an example). On the way there, likely over many lifetimes (there are most likely exceptions), sure, I can see that happening but once that state is achieved then no, they'll know how it happened for sure due to the effect of the state.

Also, I don't believe the road there is paved by being perfect (as claimed in some writings about Jesus, rather I see the perfection as an effect of that state), it's paved with the resolve to be love and truth and that resolve must become unshakable to develop a state of being which is in alignment with the HS and act as an unobstructed conduit of HS/Source energy (mind programming will not get in the way, mind is fully operational but no longer has any say in your responses, HS is in full control - the resolve, despite mind, allows a certain pattern to hold long enough to allow a far greater degree of HS to flow). Truth - so how could they not know it at some point along the way? Love - so how could they judge themselves to be not worthy in some way?

Everyone is worthy, it's about a state of being, not identity. Expanding on what I mentioned in my previous post; earning it is about development so one is ready for it, it's not about being good enough or any sort of moral judgement like that. No judgement, just mechanics.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 7th February 2018 at 09:15. Reason: correction, clarification, added text

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

O Donna (7th February 2018), petra (7th February 2018), william r sanford72 (7th February 2018)

38. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,159 times in 1,663 posts

I can see two sides of this. I understand wanting to test limits. Think about in video games, what's one of the first things you do? Test the limits, of course!

In regard to absolute power corrupting absolutely, I tend to disagree there. Every time I hear those words, something feels tricky. Maybe I'm just really stubborn, but personally I just feel like I cannot be corrupted no matter how much "power" I have.

I disagree with knowledge is power too. Knowledge isn't power.... power is power
    I respect your viewpoint but viewpoints change at the oddest times. So if it changes don't be surprised.

Power is power but many humans see it differently so your theory works until 'hands' get involved.
    Knock Knock

39. The Following User Says Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

petra (7th February 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast