+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very sad news: John Anthony West has passed on

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,035 times in 786 posts

Default Very sad news: John Anthony West has passed on

Robert Schoch (Geologist) Reports on his Facebook page:

John Anthony West (1932–2018): This morning I learned that my friend and colleague (in many ways and at many levels the closest friend I ever had), John Anthony West passed away. I am deeply saddened, and really beyond words, at this point. I have been crying. Yes, in a way, we knew for over a year that this was a possibility, but we also always had great hope and expectations that he would pull through.

Once I have a chance to collect myself and gather my thoughts, I will post on my website. In the meantime, I am including here a photo of us behind the Sphinx when we traveled to Egypt together during the summer of 2016, which we never suspected would be our last trip together. Right now a sentence that West wrote, in his Afterword to "The Dead Saints Chronicles" (the book he helped David Solomon write) comes to mind, and consoles me: "The Afterlife is real, and every one of us would do well to start preparing for it." John Anthony West spent a lifetime preparing. No doubt he is on his way to becoming a star, as the ancient Egyptians believed. Katie and I wish him well on his glorious new journey. (with Catherine Ulissey and Zoë Celesta West)

Click image for larger version

Name:	john.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	37031
    https://www.facebook.com/robert.schoch.90
    Last edited by CurEus; 8th February 2018 at 03:24.

2. The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

7alon (8th February 2018), Andre (8th February 2018), AndrejPeĉënkin (8th February 2018), angelfire (8th February 2018), aoibhghaire (8th February 2018), avid (8th February 2018), Bill Ryan (8th February 2018), BMJ (8th February 2018), celticwarrior (8th February 2018), Cidersomerset (8th February 2018), Debra (8th February 2018), enigma3 (8th February 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th February 2018), Franny (8th February 2018), genevieve (8th February 2018), ghostrider (8th February 2018), HaveBlue (20th March 2018), Heart-2-Heart (8th February 2018), Hervé (8th February 2018), Iancorgi (8th February 2018), Innocent Warrior (8th February 2018), Inversion (8th February 2018), Jayke (8th February 2018), jc71 (8th February 2018), Lefty Dave (8th February 2018), Libico (8th February 2018), Maknocktomb (10th February 2018), Matisse (9th February 2018), Michelle Marie (8th February 2018), Nasu (8th February 2018), Noelle (8th February 2018), norman (8th February 2018), Olam (8th February 2018), petra (8th February 2018), sandy (9th February 2018), seko (8th February 2018), selinam (8th February 2018), shijo (8th February 2018), Sophocles (8th February 2018), Star Tsar (8th February 2018), Stephanie (8th February 2018), Sunny-side-up (8th February 2018), sunwings (8th February 2018), Tintin (8th February 2018), toppy (8th February 2018), uzn (8th February 2018), we-R-one (8th February 2018), Wind (8th February 2018), wnlight (9th February 2018), wondering (8th February 2018), WTHTLight (9th February 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,035 times in 786 posts

Default Re: Very sad news: John Anthony West has passed on

I first came across John Anthony West by being specially told by my archaeology professors to NOT listen to him. Being a contrarian of course I read and watched everything he ever produced.
    John was a maverick with a stunning and insightful intellect that methodically challenged much of the fantasy dogma surrounding Egyptology ( Khemetology). I am forever grateful for what he did to help snap me out of academic complacency.

Thank you, Sir!
    CurEuS.

From The Daily Grind https://www.dailygrail.com/2018/02/a...est-1932-2018/

Earlier today Laird Scranton announced the peaceful passing of his dear friend on Tuesday night. Sadly, this was not unexpected news, as JAW’s family had previously reported his health had taken a sudden turn for the worse, and they honored their father’s decision to not put him on life support. John Anthony had fought a grueling battle with cancer over the last 14 months – a crowdfunding campaign was organized to cover the medical expenses of his treatment – and although he managed to beat the illness in the end, the strain on his body ultimately took its toll.
    While many people first learnt of JAW’s work around 1993 through the Mystery of the Sphinx documentary, and Graham Hancock’s bestseller Fingerprints of the Gods, John himself had been researching and writing about the esoteric side of Egyptian civilization for many years previous to that.

After beginning his writing career in the ’60s as a science fiction author, he later turned to researching and writing non-fiction books about esoteric subjects, including astrology and ancient wisdom. His seminal book Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt, was first published in 1979, but found its greatest success after being republished in 1993, soon after being one of the key works referenced in Graham Hancock’s Fingerprints of the Gods.
    Serpent in the Sky presented a number of esoteric interpretations of ancient Egyptian culture, but it was one particular element that would shoot JAW to the forefront of ‘alternative Egyptology’ (and make him a target of orthodox Egyptologists everywhere): in the book, he expanded on an observation made by R.A. Schwaller de Lubicz, that the Great Sphinx appeared to have been weathered by water, not by sand and wind – and given Egypt’s arid climate, that this might suggest the Sphinx was much older than previously thought.

JAW was quick to recognize the importance of this long-overlooked detail. “I realized that if you could prove that the Great Sphinx of Giza had been weathered by water it would upset virtually the entire historical applecart”, he told Ray Grasse in an interview in 1991, “not only regarding Egypt but also regarding everything that was accepted about ancient history and the evolution of human civilization.” (It was perhaps this interview for Quest Magazine that sparked renewed interest in John’s work, and in particular the ‘Age of the Sphinx’ controversy.)

John brought in geologist Robert Schoch to confirm the validity of the idea, and the rest, as they say, is history. The controversy over the age of the Sphinx became a key element of ‘alternative archaeology’ during the 1990s – and now looks positively prescient. Despite the ridicule from orthodox archaeologists about the impossibility of megalithic cultures existing thousands of years earlier than previously thought, we now are finding more and more evidence that this was actually the case (e.g. Göbekli Tepe).

John Anthony West retained his love and passion for ancient Egyptian culture to the end of his life, continuing to lead tours of the country. John is responsible for igniting a passion for Egyptology in a huge amount of people, both directly and indirectly. He also, as Graham Hancock put it, has served as a prime example “of rebellious thinking, of asking the difficult questions, and of never, ever, under any circumstances, putting up with the bull**** of the dominator culture” – and in doing so, “helped set a whole generation on the path of free and independent thought that leads to the discovery and unfolding of our true humanity”.
    And beyond his achievements it is worth noting who the man himself was. While on the surface he could seem cantankerous and unwilling to suffer fools, at heart JAW was generous and enthusiastic, and willing to share his knowledge with others. “I appreciate the kindness and generosity he showed me time and again”, Ray Grasse wrote recently, “in a field where monumental egos were far more the norm”.

Even though I did not get the chance to tour with JAW around his beloved Egypt, I did however had the pleasure to meet him at the Paradigm Symposium in Minneapolis, on October of 2014. I remember being captivated by his presentation, delivered with that characteristically raspy voice of his; I remember his witty sense of humor and how he took some jibes at the ‘quackademics’ that attacked his work and his credentials (or lack thereof) – although he did say he managed to become a friend of Zahi Hawass later in his life. I also remember how he pointed out that Egyptian art always showed happy faces, which to him was a sign this ancient culture had managed to find the secret to a meaningful existence, thus enabling them to last far longer than most civilizations.
    But the thing I remember the fondest was one of the last nights of the symposium, when we all were chilling and departing in amiable conversation at the lobby of our hotel.

It was very late in the night, and among the small circles of attendees having a drink there was my cosmic compadre Micah Hanks, summoning the spirit of Robert Plant alongside Dave Sanchez, another talented musician. Standing next to the two guitarists and enjoying their improvised recital was John Anthony West, with a glass full of vodka in his hand and a heart full of joie de vivre in his chest. If I can reach to my 60’s with just a spoonful of that happiness for being alive, surrounded by friends who share my passions for knowledge and discovery, I would consider my bucket list to be sufficiently completed.

4. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

AndrejPeĉënkin (8th February 2018), aoibhghaire (8th February 2018), avid (8th February 2018), Bill Ryan (8th February 2018), BMJ (8th February 2018), Cardinal (26th September 2018), celticwarrior (8th February 2018), Cidersomerset (8th February 2018), enigma3 (8th February 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th February 2018), Franny (8th February 2018), happyuk (8th February 2018), Hervé (8th February 2018), Innocent Warrior (8th February 2018), Jayke (8th February 2018), Lefty Dave (8th February 2018), Michelle Marie (8th February 2018), Nasu (8th February 2018), selinam (8th February 2018), Star Tsar (8th February 2018), Stephanie (8th February 2018), Tintin (8th February 2018), uzn (8th February 2018), we-R-one (8th February 2018), Wind (8th February 2018), wnlight (9th February 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

I'm sorry to hear about the departure of your deeply loved friend. When my best friend passed, it was a naturally deep grieving process. We both knew that life is eternal. We made a code word to try and continue communication from between realms. It works. She lets me know of her presence. Still, it's a change.

My friend had cancer for 6 years.

I remember seeing the news about the Sphinx being weathered by water.

I just wanted to say that I understand, and I feel for you.

With love and compassion,
    Michelle
    Last edited by Michelle Marie; 8th February 2018 at 04:15.
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

avid (8th February 2018), BMJ (8th February 2018), Cidersomerset (8th February 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th February 2018), Nasu (8th February 2018), petra (8th February 2018), Star Tsar (8th February 2018), Stephanie (8th February 2018), Sunny-side-up (8th February 2018), Wind (8th February 2018), wnlight (9th February 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

From Graham Hancock's Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Author.Grah...type=3&theater

"With courage, fortitude and a great sense of humor my dear friend John Anthony West put up a spirited fight against cancer for more than a year, defying all the odds, bouncing back again and again with the love of his family and friends and the generous support of this community for the crowdfunding appeal to cover his treatment: https://fundly.com/john-anthony-west-project.

He beat the cancer, but the fight took too much out of him and he has moved on now, with great dignity and style, to his next great adventure. I love him, I admire him and I consider him to be a great light in the world that has by no means gone out. His example of rebellious thinking, of asking the difficult questions, and of never, ever, under any circumstances, putting up with the bull**** of the dominator culture, helped set a whole generation on the path of free and independent thought that leads to the discovery and unfolding of our true humanity.

A few words from the ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead in the translation of Normandi Ellis to which John introduced me a quarter of a century ago:

"Hail Thoth, architect of truth, give me words of power that when I speak the life of a man I may give his story meaning. I stand before the masters who know the histories of the dead, who decide which tales to hear again, who judge the books of lives as either full or empty, who are themselves authors of truth. And they are Isis and Osiris, the divine intelligences. And when the story is written and the end is good and the soul of a man is perfected, with a shout they lift him into heaven."

John, with your words and your insights, you have opened the way for so many. May the way now be open for you. Your story has meaning and will be told. Your tale will be heard again. The book of your life will be judged as full and the end good. Your story will continue.

It was my privilege to hold an on-stage conversation with John West, his last public appearance, in New York in December 2016. It can be viewed here:"

The full podcast with Joe Rogan can be viewed here.
    Last edited by Wind; 8th February 2018 at 06:24.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

avid (8th February 2018), BMJ (8th February 2018), Cidersomerset (8th February 2018), enigma3 (8th February 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th February 2018), Nasu (9th February 2018), Star Tsar (8th February 2018), Stephanie (8th February 2018), Tintin (8th February 2018), uzn (8th February 2018), wnlight (9th February 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,568 times in 524 posts

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)
    Robert Schoch (Geologist) Reports on his Facebook page:

John Anthony West (1932–2018): This morning I learned that my friend and colleague (in many ways and at many levels the closest friend I ever had), John Anthony West passed away. I am deeply saddened, and really beyond words, at this point. I have been crying. Yes, in a way, we knew for over a year that this was a possibility, but we also always had great hope and expectations that he would pull through.

Once I have a chance to collect myself and gather my thoughts, I will post on my website. In the meantime, I am including here a photo of us behind the Sphinx when we traveled to Egypt together during the summer of 2016, which we never suspected would be our last trip together. Right now a sentence that West wrote, in his Afterword to "The Dead Saints Chronicles" (the book he helped David Solomon write) comes to mind, and consoles me: "The Afterlife is real, and every one of us would do well to start preparing for it." John Anthony West spent a lifetime preparing. No doubt he is on his way to becoming a star, as the ancient Egyptians believed. Katie and I wish him well on his glorious new journey. (with Catherine Ulissey and Zoë Celesta West)

Attachment 37031
    https://www.facebook.com/robert.schoch.90
    My condolences. Do you know what will become of the magical egypt 2 project?

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 7alon For This Post:

BMJ (8th February 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th February 2018), Star Tsar (8th February 2018), Stephanie (8th February 2018), Wind (9th February 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Russian Federation Avalon Member AndrejPeĉënkin's Avatar
    Thanks

What a pity! A great man. RIP
    Andrej Peĉënkin
    Sin'avskoje, Russia
    andrej.pechonkin@gmail.com

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndrejPeĉënkin For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th February 2018), Stephanie (10th February 2018), uzn (8th February 2018), Wind (9th February 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    Mancunian
    Thanks

Sir...
    The work you did to save us all from having to bend our minds around the original work of Schwaller de Lubicz was, and is, invaluable.
    There is an extra dimension behind your documentaries on 'Magical Egypt'... your voice carries it... it is a voice I return to frequently...
    perhaps I am not alone in gleaning the subtler energies that are coming through your words...
    Thank you.

[I write directly to John, as nothing we write is any less stone-bound these days than it was in Luxor]

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snoman For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th February 2018), Stephanie (10th February 2018), uzn (8th February 2018), Wind (9th February 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 times in 463 posts

It is very sad that the man we knew as John Anthony West has passed. But for a man like John who devoted so much of his life to study and travelling in the Land of the Pharaohs he would have no doubt prepared himself for this next phase of his journey.

I was fortunate enough to travel with him in Egypt in 2006. It was such a privilege to have had such an experience. An experience that will stay with me for all my life. There were just 6 of us in our group, plus John and an Egyptian guide. It was like a trip with friends as we piled into a 4WD that took us to the Giza plateau or out to the Valley of the Kings.

John kept us informed, entertained and delighted as he spoke endlessly of his studies and theories of Egypt and Schwaller de Lubicz, the alchemist who devoted his life to the study of the Temple of Man in Luxor. John was extremely well read, erudite, and very funny and would have us one moment in awe of the sights before us and then later in fits of laughter. He was a wonderful raconteur - a fine example of a well rounded, well educated American and a pleasure to share a beer with him on the deck of our ship as we sailed on the Nile past temples that were thousands of years old! How good can it get?

I remember him saying as he struggled up the steps of the Bent or Red pyramid, I can’t remember which one it was now, that as long as he could make this ascent he would continue his tours to Egypt. But once the stairs beat him then he would hang up his plinth helmet and retire gracefully

Well John those stairs got you in the end, but I imagine there are plenty more on your journey

Travel well

John at the base of the Great pyramid

Name:	P2110018.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	37039

One of the temples on the Nile

Name:	P2180072.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	647.0 KB
ID:	37041

A nice orb in the Valley Temple

Name:	valleytemple.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	37042
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110015.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	630.8 KB
ID:	37040  

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th February 2018), Stephanie (10th February 2018), Wind (9th February 2018), wnlight (9th February 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Thanks for sharing your amazing trip with us, leavesoftrees! How fortunate you were to have had such an experience!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

leavesoftrees (11th February 2018), Stephanie (10th February 2018), Wind (9th February 2018)

+ Reply to Thread