+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here practice Qigong?

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,035 times in 358 posts

Default Re: Does anyone here practice Qigong?

@ RunningDeer:

Wow, I would love to have similar experience as I'm also very interested in the self defence aspects of these arts.

Unfortunately I am limited as I have a lot of familial responsibilities that won't allow for me to get personal training of any kind.

I hope to be able to participate in a martial art and some formal in person training in the future though. it sounds amazing to be able to have an experienced teacher work with you in person to help you cultivate skills at perhaps a faster speed than you may develp them solely on your own

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebecca For This Post:

RunningDeer (15th February 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

@ RunningDeer:

How old were you when you began practicing these arts?

I'm 25 so I'm not too discouraged about not being able to get in person training yet and view my online/ at home training as a gateway. When I finally do have an opportunity for in person training I will have some experience and hopefully some extra qi stored up to work with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebecca For This Post:

RunningDeer (15th February 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

I want to chime in and say I was not impressed with Mantak Chia's energy upon seeing hime in the early 2000s..
    He felt like a salesman and his energy was not very clean or strong.
    Also I heard of many folks who developed problems after doing the methods out of his books (specifically the sexual cultivation methods)
    These types of trainings should be supervised and have a proper line of transmission of Qi from a lineage.
    This acts as a energy software template to go higher in energy safely.
    Online courses are fine for soft style movement and breath work but the harder style forms or l or pure energy practices can be dangerous without a Guide.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomatic For This Post:

7alon (18th February 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by rebecca7411 (here)
    How old were you when you began practicing these arts?
    I was two months shy of 38 years old when I began. As far as personal responsibilities, my son was 17 that the time. I did have a full time job. Which meant I had the money to do things I certainly wouldn’t have been able to do in my 20s.

As for the one-on-one training, when I weighed the travel time, wear and tear on the car and my body, the cost of private lessons and begin the new work week fresh on Monday morning @ 6:45 a.m., private lessons were unnecessary. The other reality was I didn’t need weapons training.

I advanced because of the steady progress from personal effort, practice and applied knowledge from what I read. Those with time constraints, family obligations and tight financial budgets, I’d encourage them to take a self-defense course at the local YMCA.

Quote When I finally do have an opportunity for in person training I will have some experience and hopefully some extra qi stored up to work with
    Qi not only comes from Chi Kung, but from a relative, balanced life. Life of extremes is where energy is depleted. Walk in nature. Feel the wind through your body. Hear the birds. Take in more healthy food and drink than not. Pay attention to how you allow others to tap into all the parts of you. And keep ridding yourself of false beliefs and old behaviors that reinforce the person you were yesterday.

Tai Chi and Chi Kung is flow and subtle power and awakens the confidence that’s innate. I'm biased, Rebecca, but I'd say it's worth the effort to have a go. Even if it's perfecting just a few moves. Pick the ones that feel right for you. Move with grace and move slower than a sloth.
    (as nutty as that may sound )
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 15th February 2018 at 22:11.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Iancorgi (16th February 2018), Rebecca (16th February 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thailand Avalon Member Iancorgi's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Nomatic,

I agree with most of what you said about Master Chia. Over the years i met many people with far greater skills and power. However I believe he should be credited for bringing together an amazing bunch of people in the early 2000's and for disclosing valid "secret" techniques to western audiences. His first disciples received proper guidance and in many ways they've surpassed the Master many times.

Without going into details, I've had the several direct experiences with Master Chia in his center that proved to me his worth. The Tao garden operation exploded in the mid 2000's and it has become a money making machine especially in the last few years with Chinese tour operators bringing hundred of their customers to the place. That's why most long time practitioners have left and only only think of the Healing Tao as a good memory rather than a living reality.

Lastly, many people jump to the sexual Kung fu head on and that where the problems come from. They should be warned to develop proper grounding with practices such as Mco and Iron shirt Chi Kung but as you know most people don't have the patience to spend a couple of years developing the foundations. It is as much a commentary on human greed (from everyone involved) as a reflection on the Western consumerist approach to life.

Lastly, I respect the fact that Master Chia isn't pretending that he isn't running a business and that the end goal is to make money. To be fair is center has huge running costs.

Bottom line for me there's still a great deal of very good info in the Universal Tao books. (most where authored in collaboration with others practitioners and Masters) but advanced learning should be done with proper supervision as you said.

That why I often refer to choosing a path with a heart and it is the main reason I moved on to another practice after a few years. Master Chia has overstretched himself and is unable to reach out to students individually. What is has built is still worthy of respect and his work opened many eyes to art of internal alchemy.

All the best.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iancorgi For This Post:

Rebecca (16th February 2018), RunningDeer (16th February 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Nomatic,

Can you go into detail about how some practices are dangerous without a guide?
    Last edited by Rebecca; 16th February 2018 at 01:33.

12. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

@ RunningDeer:

Yes, I am aware that qigong isn't the only way to build and balance qi. I take my son out in nature 3-6 times a week and have a primarily vegan diet, very little refined sugars, I don't use alcohol or tobacco, etc.

I do remember reading that for some exercises the slower you move the better, so moving 'slower than a sloth' fits with that. There are a few exercises I've been told can be done fast though, at least in the school of qigong I'm learning from.

What are some of the most important changes in your self that you've observed from your experiences practicing?

While you say you didn't need weapons training it sure is an excellent skill to have if a criminal golem decides to break into your home in the middle of the night

Also, do you prefer to be addressed as RunningDeer or another name?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebecca For This Post:

RunningDeer (16th February 2018)

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Iancorgi (here)
    Hi Nomatic,

I agree with most of what you said about Master Chia. Over the years i met many people with far greater skills and power. However I believe he should be credited for bringing together an amazing bunch of people in the early 2000's and for disclosing valid "secret" techniques to western audiences. His first disciples received proper guidance and in many ways they've surpassed the Master many times.

Without going into details, I've had the several direct experiences with Master Chia in his center that proved to me his worth. The Tao garden operation exploded in the mid 2000's and it has become a money making machine especially in the last few years with Chinese tour operators bringing hundred of their customers to the place. That's why most long time practitioners have left and only only think of the Healing Tao as a good memory rather than a living reality.

Lastly, many people jump to the sexual Kung fu head on and that where the problems come from. They should be warned to develop proper grounding with practices such as Mco and Iron shirt Chi Kung but as you know most people don't have the patience to spend a couple of years developing the foundations. It is as much a commentary on human greed (from everyone involved) as a reflection on the Western consumerist approach to life.

Lastly, I respect the fact that Master Chia isn't pretending that he isn't running a business and that the end goal is to make money. To be fair is center has huge running costs.

Bottom line for me there's still a great deal of very good info in the Universal Tao books. (most where authored in collaboration with others practitioners and Masters) but advanced learning should be done with proper supervision as you said.

That why I often refer to choosing a path with a heart and it is the main reason I moved on to another practice after a few years. Master Chia has overstretched himself and is unable to reach out to students individually. What is has built is still worthy of respect and his work opened many eyes to art of internal alchemy.

All the best.
    I hear you!
    I hesitated to say anything as I have been holding back for many years about this but I have trained some students that have been in Chia's system and they hadn't built much life force.
    I had met 20 year plus students who had deficient Qi and this concerned me. I know one of the Masters that co authored those books and have trained some of his students because they
    had not developed appropriate energy for how much work they put in.
    I will credit these individuals for bringing awareness to these great internal arts but in some ways there has been as much damage as good.
    To answer your question Rebecca....
    In the system I studied we trained 5 full hard style physical levels before we got to the Tantric training. (I.E. converting the sexual essence into a more refined for m through somewhat esoteric means)
    Once a student does this a bridge between the physical world and the more subtle energetic realms is made. At this point in training a student must be supervised twice a month as you can hurt yourself energetically
    in a way western medicine has no idea how to correct. (Think psychosis or a interruption in the orbit of the Qi which precedes matter)
    To address the point Iancorgi made about grounding...
    I feel it would be more accurate to say the problems that can happen in sexual cultivation are less a result of lack of grounding than the energy going into the wrong channel or stagnating because the meridians have not been
    properly prepared.
    The mind, body and energy must be integrated into one before the big work can be done. This in my experience can not be accomplished with just light movement and breath. One must challenge the body with the hard forms
    to prepare the way for higher orders of nature to root in the container. Forgive my rant but there is quite a lot of misunderstanding and misrepresentation of what it takes to truly cultivate Qi.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomatic For This Post:

7alon (18th February 2022), Iancorgi (16th February 2018), Rebecca (16th February 2018)

16. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

@ Nomatic:

Wow. The teacher I am studying from, John Munro, doesn't mention these things much at all. His approach seems very casual. Then again, I don't think his courses are meant to be as intense as the ones you describe.

There is also no mention of sexual essence in his courses. I'm not concerned with that right now and don't plan to do any Tantric Training.

It's very alarming to me that people can practice for so many years without appropriate results, it's almost shocking to me that that can even be possible. It makes me question the course I am taking. While the exercises in the course generally feel like they are beneficial, I don't know enough about qigong to be completely critical.

I didn't consider things like energy going into the wrong channel or stagnating. I assumed that as long as some one was practising with the proper alignment that the Energy would flow.

Perhaps this could explain how there are people out there who practice for years but still appear weak and unhealthy...

Have you experienced any problems in your own practice?

17. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

My intention is not to make you question what you are doing my Sister....
    There are many easy forms of Qi Gong that are beneficial and for the general public and have nothing to do with changing Jing to Qi, Qi to Shen and Shen to Spirit..
    If it feels good and your heart says it is helping than it is!
    My issue is when folks start to teach pieces of the temple systems without regard for the implications.
    This has always seemed dangerous to me as I was trained more formally under supervision from a high level master.
    To address your question on how could people train for years and not build Qi is a big subject.
    Some Masters learned the real alchemy but intentionally hold back certain pieces to keep students long term under there control or for income.
    Other Masters where transmitted functions but have no idea how to teach others what they know but have ego attachment to be something special.
    The moral of the story is you can build Qi function and still escape ethics unfortunately. It is quite rare to find a teacher who a example of humility and human potential!
    I have been fortunate to meet a few such people...
    As for my practice the only problems I have encountered have been the distortions in my own thinking or politics not the method or instruction.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomatic For This Post:

19. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

@ Nomatic:

One reason I question the course I am taking is because it is possible to become a certified instructor after taking 4 twelve week courses on 3 different types of qigong practice and the last one is a course on meditation. Does this sound right to you?

Maybe it's just me but being certified to teach qigong in less than two years from online courses sounds very fast! Many certification courses I've seen require becoming an assistant teacher before teaching a class on your own.

I'm not saying it's impossible to become an instructor under these conditions, as every individual is different... but I do have some scepticism...

What were your requirements for teaching?

20. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

http://longwhitecloudqigong.com/onli...-introduction/

Above is a link to the course I am currently taking. It has one video demonstrating a short session of all of the exercises in the course and as well a longer session

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebecca For This Post:

RunningDeer (16th February 2018)

22. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Also, do you prefer to be addressed as RunningDeer or another name?
    Either one Paula or RunningDeer is fine.

Quote What are some of the most important changes in your self that you've observed from your experiences practicing?
    I couldn’t pin point because I’m the sum total of on-going choices, actions, beliefs, and experiences.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 16th February 2018 at 14:08.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

greybeard (16th February 2018)

24. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks

http://longwhitecloudqigong.com/onli...-introduction/

Above is a link to the course I am currently taking. It has one video demonstrating a short session of all of the exercises in the course and as well a longer session
    I'll add the videos here of your teacher.

Between Heaven and Earth - Full Qigong Practice Session

Between Heaven and Earth - Qigong Exercises, Short Practice Session

Last edited by RunningDeer; 16th February 2018 at 14:01.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Iancorgi (16th February 2018), Rebecca (16th February 2018)

26. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

@ Nomatic:

One reason I question the course I am taking is because it is possible to become a certified instructor after taking 4 twelve week courses on 3 different types of qigong practice and the last one is a course on meditation. Does this sound right to you?

Maybe it's just me but being certified to teach qigong in less than two years from online courses sounds very fast! Many certification courses I've seen require becoming an assistant teacher before teaching a class on your own.

I'm not saying it's impossible to become an instructor under these conditions, as every individual is different... but I do have some scepticism...

What were your requirements for teaching?
    The requirements for where direct mentorship with a senior student or the master over the course of years...
    The instructor in the video does not appear to have that much Qi...
    I should stop now as I don't want to cause trouble!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomatic For This Post:

28. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

@ Nomatic:

It's okay, you can share your criticisms of him. I'm not going to be offended. While I think he's overall doing good trying to make qigong affordable to people of all income levels, I've questioned the seriousness of the course.

How do you judge whether someone has much Qi or not?

Is it his movements?

I plan to learn from other teachers in the future. For now I'm doing what I can afford to do without having to go outside of my home. This is simply a gateway course for me.

The videos weren't filmed recently by the way. Here's the most recent video I could find of him practicing exercises I'm not studying yet:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R5WD8vpkyw4

29. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

@ RunningDeer:

Do you have any criticisms of the teacher or the course material?

30. Link to Post #38
    Language
    English
    Thanks

@ RunningDeer:

Do you have any criticisms of the teacher or the course material?
    The question I’d ask myself is, “Do I receive the benefits I’m looking for from this instructor and the course material?”

Outside counsel and over thinking is a way I trick myself into confusion so can put off making decisions. When I align with inner self and synchronicity, I know if and when it’s time to change things up.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

greybeard (16th February 2018)

32. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

[QUOTE=rebecca7411;1208439]@ Nomatic:

It's okay, you can share your criticisms of him. I'm not going to be offended. While I think he's overall doing good trying to make qigong affordable to people of all income levels, I've questioned the seriousness of the course.

How do you judge whether someone has much Qi or not?

Is it his movements?

If I tune to the persons energy I can feel there level....

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomatic For This Post:

Iancorgi (17th February 2018)

34. Link to Post #40
    Thanks

@ Nomatic:

Do you know of any factual, objective techniques to gauge someone's energy or only more intuitive ways?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast