Thread: A Beautiful Man and Invaluable Info: Dr. Michael Klaper on Veganism

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member Bassplayer1's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,047 times in 264 posts

Default A Beautiful Man and Invaluable Info: Dr. Michael Klaper on Veganism

I expect many of you are familiar with Dr. Michael Klaper - one of the good guys.
    I've been binge-watching many of his videos/lectures the last few weeks and thought I'd share this one. It's an earlier lecture when he was a younger man but the knowledge he's sharing is gold and even more important today.

I'd like to say that I'm sharing this as its positive and helpful - and NOT as a way to tell people to become vegan!!!

Food and eating habits are a personal choice and I would never force my opinion or tell people how they should be eating (I happen to be vegan and my husband a carnivore lol!)

I feel there's something of value regardless of our eating habits.

Perhaps I'm over-reacting in light of the latest Youtube take-downs, but I really hope that this kind of empowering info doesn't get targeted next!!!

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bassplayer1 For This Post:

Akasha (18th March 2018), Bill Ryan (25th February 2018), BMJ (25th February 2018), grant (19th March 2018), Leonard (24th March 2018), Michelle Marie (18th March 2018), Mike (25th February 2018), Olam (23rd March 2018), onevoice (25th February 2018), OopsWrongPlanet? (25th February 2018), Rebecca (25th February 2018), Reinhard (24th March 2018), Richard S. (25th February 2018), RunningDeer (18th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018), toppy (25th February 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,035 times in 358 posts

Default Re: A Beautiful Man and Invaluable Info: Dr. Michael Klaper on Veganism

Thanks for sharing this. I'm mostly a vegan (though not very strict) and am not familiar with Dr. Michael Klaper. Very interesting video

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebecca For This Post:

BMJ (25th February 2018), RunningDeer (18th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018), toppy (25th February 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,309 times in 18,139 posts

Thanks, Bassplayer1
    Quote Posted by Bassplayer1 (here)
    I expect many of you are familiar with Dr. Michael Klaper - one of the good guys.
    I've been binge-watching many of his videos/lectures the last few weeks and thought I'd share this one. It's an earlier lecture when he was a younger man but the knowledge he's sharing is gold and even more important today.

I'd like to say that I'm sharing this as its positive and helpful - and NOT as a way to tell people to become vegan!!!

Food and eating habits are a personal choice and I would never force my opinion or tell people how they should be eating (I happen to be vegan and my husband a carnivore lol!)

Perhaps I'm over-reacting in light of the latest Youtube take-downs, but I really hope that this kind of empowering info doesn't get targeted next!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Michelle Marie (18th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Instant Pot is valuable kitchen tool. I’ve got the 3 quart and 5 quart sizes. I cook up large batches. Healthy food is always available. Easy clean up with whole foods.

Three Instant Pot examples:

Hummus - four-five kinds of beans. Soak over night. This alleviates the excess gas. It yields about 4 quarts and cooks in 20 minutes. I divide it into four portions. Three go into the freezer and one in the refrigerator.

Vegetable & multi-grain soup - barley, sometimes oatmeal and/or quinoa. The vegetable are sweet potatoes, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash and sea vegetables. From the bean group, I use either chick peas or red and brown lentils. The broth is water with a light tomato base. I toss in cinnamon, cayenne pepper, Celtic sea salt. It yields 5 quarts and it cooks in 8 minutes.

Brown rice and barley - I use a 3-1 ratio of rice to barley. Toss in broccoli, kale, spinach, cauliflower. It’s takes 12 minutes. I transfer into single serving glass containers. When I’m ready to warm up, I mix in a glob of garlic hummus. I add a little liquid amino acids rather than salt.

Mom of 5 Tested the Instant Pot: Here’s What She Thought

Last edited by RunningDeer; 24th April 2020 at 11:45.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Franny (19th March 2018), Hym (19th March 2018), lisalu (19th March 2018), Michelle Marie (18th March 2018), Mike (23rd March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

Quote Posted by Bassplayer1 (here)

Great video! Thanks.

I've been leaning toward more raw and vegan since I've been doing frequent fasting. I haven't eaten beef or pork in decades. But I used to be more heavily into dairy. I've cut way back on chicken, turkey, and fish.

I don't know if I'll ever be totally vegan, but it seems natural to me to eat lots of raw and mostly vegan.

That instant pot looks good Running Deer!

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Mike (23rd March 2018), RunningDeer (18th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,202 times in 1,393 posts

Apologies for being a bit late to the party.

The thread title says it all for me. Michael “it’s the food” Klaper is indeed a very beautiful man and highly inspiring too.

Here’s a recent interview featuring him and fellow plant-based doctor, Pamela Popper entitled “Why Doctors Don’t Recommend Veganism”:

One of the many nuggets from the video:

Quote ….They don’t want to stop eating their steak and their lobster and so they’re not going to tell their patients, and they’re not really open to the nutritional literature and the science saying, clearly, animal-based diets spawn diseases….
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (23rd March 2018), Olam (23rd March 2018), RunningDeer (18th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Tam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,370 times in 497 posts

Man, RunningDeer, could you have chosen a more generic-brand "we're a white priveleged family" than the one you posted. I'll bet you one of their kids is named Brock

Seriously, though, I have an instant pot and I use it several times a week. Used to be there were days where I was just too lazy to cook a full meal, and would just settle for something sad for dinner.

That thing has put an end to that. I'm not vegan, so the recipes I'm into wouldn't be something the people reading this thread would like, but lemme tell you, I have made my fair share of delicious, effortless meals in that thing.

My favorite is fejoada, which is pretty much the opposite of vegan, but oh man, is it delicious. Used to be I would spend half a day making this the traditional way (and I still do, because it's just better that way), but if you want an easier version of pretty much any stew, ragu, or, hell, a roasted chicken, you can use that.

As for a vegan recipe, my boyfriend's vegan sister came over for dinner the other day, and I had to figure out what to make her (I was going to go for a Korean kimchi-based vegetable stew, but then I realized my kimchi had baby shrimp in it at one point), so I settled for a mushroom masala.

It was super good.

If anyone wants to make it, let me know, and I'll post the recipe.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tam For This Post:

lisalu (19th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Indigris (here)
    Man, RunningDeer, could you have chosen a more generic-brand "we're a white priveleged family" than the one you posted. I'll bet you one of their kids is named Brock
    Indigris, I have no desire to expend energy as to why you turned my post into a mishmash of nonsense. My objective was to introduce a tool that helps others save time and money and improve health.

When you find a video that’s comparable to the two minute one that shows “push this here rice button and look-see fluffy rice”, then I’ll delete mine.

For future reference, this communication style and tone does not promote engaging, productive interaction: “Man, RunningDeer, could you have chosen a more generic-brand "we're a white priveleged family”.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 24th March 2018 at 01:18.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Mike (23rd March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Indigris, I have no desire to expend energy as to why you turned my post into a mishmash of nonsense. My objective was to introduce a tool that helps others save time and money and improve health.

When you find a video that’s comparable to the two minute one that shows “push this here rice button and look-see fluffy rice”, then I’ll delete mine.

For future reference, this communication style and tone: “Man, RunningDeer, could you have chosen a more generic-brand "we're a white priveleged family” does not promote engaging, productive interaction.
    I was just throwing a lighthearted joke, it was not my intention to offend.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tam For This Post:

Mike (23rd March 2018), RunningDeer (23rd March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,587 times in 5,714 posts

I could say some good things and bad things about eating meat. I could say some good and bad things about eating vegan.

Not here to debate, I promise!

But if I had to drink every time he said meats are high in fat and will therefore make you fat, I'd be hammered at the 20 minute mark.

If this is true, why does the 'Atkins Diet' work so beautifully to lose fat? It's almost exclusively meat based. I've done this diet many times, and it's astoundingly effective.

Dr Klaper seems sort of hung up on what many experts now think are old paradigm ways of looking at heart disease, with an emphasis on cholesterol instead of things like inflammation etc.

I have huge respect for the power of veggies, and am really striving recently to get more and more in the form of juice and smoothies. They are a wonderful tonic for all sorts of things. I love the lift I get from my morning smoothie! (kale, pear, black berries, spinach, flax seeds, almonds, fulvic and humic, and aloe). It's unreal.

There are some real gems in this video...but as someone who does eat some meat, I couldn't help but point out what is an obvious error - that eating meat will make you fat. It's patently untrue!
    Last edited by Mike; 23rd March 2018 at 22:28.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DeDukshyn (24th March 2018), Ernie Nemeth (23rd March 2018), RunningDeer (24th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018), Tam (24th March 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    If this is true, why does the 'Atkins Diet' work so beautifully to lose fat? It's almost exclusively meat based. I've done this diet many times, and it's astoundingly effective.
    Quote Not here to debate, I promise!
    I'm with you, Mike. I'm not here to convince anyone of anything.

“I’ve done this diet many times, and it's astoundingly effective.” One question? Why do you have to do it over and over? (rhetorical; see answer after vid)

For me, eating fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes isn’t a diet. It’s a healthful lifestyle. Lots of health benefits to foods with zero saturated and cholesterol. It's the way I eat 95%-98% of the time. BTW: Many vegan doctors suggest focus on the elimination of dairy and carbs in the form of simple sugars.

I like Mic the Vegan. This is a video from two days ago, and a graph from another one of his recent ones for “Body Mass Index and Type 2 Diabetes”.

Meat and Masculinity

Published on Mar 21, 2018

Examining notions of meat and manliness with a look at research on testosterone, disease, and diet plus an interview with a man who naturally reversed his erectile dysfunction, diabetes, and regained his manliness.

[tons of links include in vid]

Why Low-Carb Diets Aren’t the Answer

“…The most extreme kind of low-carb diet was pioneered by the late Robert Atkins, M.D., whose first book, Dr. Atkins’ Diet Revolution, came out in 1972. It promised quick and long-lasting weight loss and prevention of chronic disease, all while allowing high-fat steak and ice cream….”

The Downsides of These Diets

The Atkins diet and the many other low-carb diets that followed in its footsteps have turned out to be less effective, and less healthy, than originally claimed. Often, the weight returned, and as it did, problems such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure came back, too. Also, in the end, many people decided they didn’t want to go through life without ever eating pasta again. Let’s look at what would happen if you followed one of the more extreme low-carb diets.

[snip]
    You’ll Feel Terrible
    [snip]

Your Health May Suffer

If you’re overweight or obese, and you have insulin resistance—and especially if you have prediabetes or diabetes—cutting way back on carbohydrates can have immediate health benefits. Your blood sugar and insulin levels will go down, your triglycerides and blood pressure may fall, and your levels of “good” HDL cholesterol may rise.

But the low-carb diet will also wreak some havoc. When your body breaks down lean body mass—muscle—for energy, your metabolism slows because muscle tissue burns up a lot of calories. This may be one reason that the weight often comes back after you’ve been shunning carbs for a while.

The effects on your heart are also questionable. Especially if you switch to a high-saturated-fat diet, as people do when they start eating their fill of steak and bacon, your “bad” LDL cholesterol will go up. Levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that increases the risk of heart disease, may also rise if you eat a lot of meat and too few vegetables. And to get rid of the ketones produced when your body burns fat for energy, your kidneys need to work overtime, which raises your risk of kidney stones.

Ironically, low-carb diets may even interfere with insulin sensitivity; a certain amount of carbohydrate in your diet may be needed in order for the pancreas, which produces the insulin that keeps blood sugar in check, to work well.

[snip]
    You’ll Miss Out
    [snip]

You’ll Eat Too Much “Bad” Fat
    [snip]

The Weight Will Come Back

Two major studies of low-carb diets, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, looked at obese men and women who stuck with either a low-carb, high-fat diet or a low-fat, high-carb diet. Both diets were low in calories.

In one study, which lasted six months, the low-carb diet seemed to win hands down. The people on it lost nearly 13 pounds (6 kg); the low-fat dieters shed just 4 pounds (2 kg). But the second study lasted six months longer, revealing a truth about low-carb diets: The results don’t last. This study too found that the low-carb dieters lost more weight in the first six months, but in the second half of the year, the weight came roaring back. By the end of a year, there was no significant difference in weight loss between the two groups. This weight “snapback” may be one reason that extremely low-carb diets have fallen out of favor.

Take the Good, Leave the Bad
    [snip]

article

Last edited by RunningDeer; 24th March 2018 at 01:37.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

DeDukshyn (24th March 2018), Mike (24th March 2018), seko (24th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    I could say some good things and bad things about eating meat. I could say some good and bad things about eating vegan.

Not here to debate, I promise!

But if I had to drink every time he said meats are high in fat and will therefore make you fat, I'd be hammered at the 20 minute mark.

Dr Klaper seems sort of hung up on what many experts now think are old paradigm ways of looking at heart disease, with an emphasis on cholesterol instead of things like inflammation etc.

I have huge respect for the power of veggies, and am really striving recently to get more and more in the form of juice and smoothies. They are a wonderful tonic for all sorts of things. I love the lift I get from my morning smoothie! (kale, pear, black berries, spinach, flax seeds, almonds, fulvic and humic, and aloe). It's unreal.

There are some real gems in this video...but as someone who does eat some meat, I couldn't help but point out what is an obvious error - that eating meat will make you fat. It's patently untrue!
    The sugar manufactures (and the likes of coca-cola foods etc.) launched massive long term campaigns to demonize saturated fats, so people would look the other way when it came to sugar. "A calorie is a calorie" mindset was born from this campaign. They had done the research themselves and knew the harm of sugar, so they wanted everyone to focus on the harm of fat - even if it wasn't accurate.

Calories from fat = bad while calories from sugar = neutral, so claims the campaign. The effects of this campaign are well embedded into even our education systems. The truth is the harm of cholesterol and saturated fats has been hugely exaggerated, and the bad effects of a high sugar diet have been downplayed (at least until very recently). This is why you are seeing this delta.

Not that I don't support veganism, I do, but am not one myself. I do however try to eat for sustainability and try to avoid mass farmed animal products. I prefer organic bison to beef, for example - for many reasons - one being that cows are landscape destroyers by eating grass down to the roots (the lucky ones that get to graze freely), while Bison will always eat to ensure to not kill the plant.

Sustainability is so important and current beef and pork eating trends are not sustainable. If anyone needs a reason to eat less meat - sheer sustainability is a strong one. Consider that the planet isn't warming because of industrial carbon output -- consider that all the rain-forests and other forests are being destroyed to make way for meat production - yet oddly, the destruction of carbon reducing forests never come up in global warming arguments ... I'd say by industry design.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Mike (24th March 2018), RunningDeer (24th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,587 times in 5,714 posts

Hey Paula, I liked the diet. Didn't have much of a problem with it. Eventually, once you hit your target weight you can reintroduce pastas, breads and things like that and still maintain weight. It sort of morphs into a Paleo lifestyle over time if you do it right.

I've done the diet several times, and each time the effect was pretty long lasting. The reason I had to revisit it was because I like beer lol. And if I got going with the beer, then I'd snack, or get late night meals at McDonald's or Burger King etc.

I likely would have done that if I was trying to be a vegan or vegetarian too. A discipline thing.

Last edited by Mike; 24th March 2018 at 05:11.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

RunningDeer (24th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

27. Link to Post #14
    Europe Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,386 times in 1,223 posts

For future reference, this communication style and tone: “Man, RunningDeer, could you have chosen a more generic-brand "we're a white priveleged family” does not promote engaging, productive interaction.
    It was just a joke and an intelligent one, yes. To Running Deer I‘d like to say: some people see the speck in their brother's eye, but do not notice the log in their own eye. There is a clear line between making a point and selfrighteousness / a schoolmasterly demeanor.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Iloveyou For This Post:

Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Iloveyou (here)

It was just a joke and an intelligent one, yes. To Running Deer I‘d like to say: some people see the speck in their brother's eye, but do not notice the log in their own eye. There is a clear line between making a point and selfrighteousness / a schoolmasterly demeanor.
    My silence toward hurtful behaviors give permission for it to continue. This wasn’t the first time. There was one other less than two weeks ago which I decided to ignore. I’ve also seen the same pattern elsewhere. Others called her out.

After weighing it all, including how much ego is at play on my part and processing it for six days, I decided it is not an acceptable pattern I give permission to.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 24th March 2018 at 15:51.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Iloveyou (25th March 2018), Shadowman (2nd June 2018)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

With all due respect RunningDeer, I frankly feel as if perhaps you are in the minority as to how you are feeling, as my off-hand quip was not the sole topic of my post.

I am genuinely curious as to how this was hurtful; perhaps this is one of those generational things, and what is considered an acceptable joke to make for young people nowadays is not so for those who are older. It seems you have had issues with my comments in the past, and I genuinely struggle to think of anything I said that would have rubbed people the wrong way, save for my occasional censored cussing or the post I made about Trump's letter a while back.

Please let me know what it is that irked you in my joke (was it the racial profiling?), and if anyone else found it in bad taste, I'll be sure to dial down my sense of humor on this forum.

Just understand that it was 100% in jest, and I don't genuinely cast judgment on others based on race or apparent stereotypes. It was just a little playful aside.

Thank you,

Indigris

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Tam For This Post:

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

With all due respect RunningDeer, I frankly feel as if perhaps you are in the minority as to how you are feeling, as my off-hand quip was not the sole topic of my post.

I am genuinely curious as to how this was hurtful; perhaps this is one of those generational things, and what is considered an acceptable joke to make for young people nowadays is not so for those who are older. It seems you have had issues with my comments in the past, and I genuinely struggle to think of anything I said that would have rubbed people the wrong way, save for my occasional censored cussing or the post I made about Trump's letter a while back.

Please let me know what it is that irked you in my joke (was it the racial profiling?), and if anyone else found it in bad taste, I'll be sure to dial down my sense of humor on this forum.

Just understand that it was 100% in jest, and I don't genuinely cast judgment on others based on race or apparent stereotypes. It was just a little playful aside.

Thank you,

Indigris
    What’s funny to you is different for me. No, don’t dial down your sense of humor. I’d not want you to be anything that you are not. I’d suggest that if we converse in the future, we skip the joke part.
    Have a restful weekend, Indigris.

And thank you back,
    RunningDeer

34. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread