+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GenX Chemical Has Contaminated the Water in North Carolina

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 times in 595 posts

Exclamation GenX Chemical Has Contaminated the Water in North Carolina

(amazing what humans will do for "non-stick cookware"...geez Louise!!!- dynamo)

Like an unfolding nightmare, the area contaminated by cancer-causing GenX continues to grow. The Fayetteville Observer reported that North Carolina officials have once more broadened the area in Bladen County where ground water is at risk.

The N.C. Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is investigating wells as far as 2 ½ miles from the Chemours chemical plant where GenX was first detected. Testing will continue until state officials determine the full extent of the contaminated area.

GenX is a compound used in the manufacture of nonstick cookware. Although intended to replace cancer-causing PFOs, the new chemical process has been identified as a carcinogen by several animal studies. Its exact effects on humans have yet to be determined.

The first signs of contamination came from monitoring wells on the land occupied by the Chemours chemical plant. After testing showed high levels of GenX in the ground water, state officials started investigating wells within a mile of Chemours. They later expanded the test area to a mile and a half.

“We have unfortunately not found the extent of the groundwater contamination,” admitted Michael Scott of the North Carolina DEQ during an information session held at Bladen Community College.

So far the DEQ has tested around 50 wells in the expanded area, which has hundreds of parcels of land that may or may not have wells. The department also intend to take fish from a lake near the Chemours plant for GenX testing.

According to Scott, the state government persuaded Chemours to expand tests on the effectiveness of a water filtration system. The company is already testing one home, and it has agreed to add three more residences. Testing is expected to take up several months.

Chemours officials also promised to take responsibility if GenX proved to be a problem, said Ray Britt, a member of the county’s Board of Commissioners who had talked with the company’s representatives.

“I feel real good about the conversation,” he assured the 135 residents of Cumberland County in attendance.

Residents fear the worst

A large number of attendees did not buy into Britt’s confidence. Afraid that the GenX contamination is endless, Pages Lake Road resident Kellie Hair claimed she felt as if her family was camping in the wilderness.

“It’s like a Third World country,” agreed Marshwood Lake Road resident Amanda Dew.

“I don’t want to die from this,” worried Levonne Daniels, a concerned resident who lives in Hickory Hill Drive. “Somebody needs to do something about it.”

The matter is serious enough for residents to bring it to court, believed a Cumberland County representative.

“This is going to be a long, long process. It’s going to take all of us working together to fix it,” remarked Rep. Billy Richardson as reported by The Fayetteville Observer.

According to his colleague John Szoka, elected officials are truly concerned about the GenX crisis.

“Unfortunately, there is no magic solution where we can say we’re going to solve all the problems at once,” said Szoka in his capacity as representative for southern Cumberland County, the part affected by the crisis.

Also present was Senator Wesley Meredith. He informed The Fayetteville Observer that Bladen County residents deserved to get proper answers.

According to the senator, a funding bill for the DEQ has already been passed by the House. He promised that the Senate will do its part to take up that bill when the General Assembly returns to session.

Senator Meredith also believed the DEQ will need more assets if the GenX issue is to be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.

Source: Cancer.news / References: FayObserver.com; ncdhhs.gov

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

ceetee9 (28th February 2018), Ewan (26th February 2018), Fellow Aspirant (27th February 2018), gaiagirl (26th February 2018), genevieve (26th February 2018), Jantje (26th February 2018), jjjones (27th February 2018), justntime2learn (26th February 2018), KiwiElf (27th February 2018), lloyds (26th February 2018), Mercedes (26th February 2018), Michelle Marie (5th March 2018), mountain_jim (26th February 2018), Nasu (27th February 2018), O Donna (27th February 2018), Rebecca (27th February 2018), Sunny-side-up (26th February 2018), yelik (26th February 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: GenX Chemical Has Contaminated the Water in North Carolina

this is terrible. the local government should have the power to shut the plant production down until it has been fully investigated and a solution is found.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lloyds For This Post:

dynamo (26th February 2018), justntime2learn (28th February 2018), Mercedes (26th February 2018), O Donna (27th February 2018), Sunny-side-up (26th February 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,122 times in 3,951 posts

Quote Posted by lloyds (here)
    this is terrible. the local government should have the power to shut the plant production down until it has been fully investigated and a solution is found.
    I'll be surprise if the local government didn't have investment and hands in this anyways.
    Government=people in power=corruption and greed and or any good people in power are heavily pressured from above to keep denying any problems

The way I see things nowadays is:
    If the Government didn't jump straight in when any problem was first seen/reported, well they are themselves part of said problem
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

dynamo (26th February 2018), Jantje (26th February 2018), lloyds (27th February 2018), Mercedes (26th February 2018), O Donna (27th February 2018), yelik (26th February 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Netherlands Avalon Member Jantje's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 times in 181 posts

Gen X has also been found in Dutch Rivers. It was the same company responsible for it.
    This was actually picked up by mainstream media as well.

Someone made a documentary about it. not sure if it will be viewable in every counrty but for what it's worth.

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/079492...-of-dordrecht/

PS This documentary seems to be about Dupont and C8. Might be related but not the exact same stuff. I am very sure GenX has been found in Dutch waters
    Last edited by Jantje; 26th February 2018 at 14:52. Reason: update

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jantje For This Post:

dynamo (26th February 2018), gaiagirl (26th February 2018), jjjones (27th February 2018), KiwiElf (27th February 2018), Mercedes (26th February 2018), O Donna (27th February 2018), uzn (27th February 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Netherlands Avalon Member Jantje's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 times in 181 posts

Read this : They have an ethics hotline (!) in case you have any concerns

https://www.chemours.com/Chemours_Ho...f-conduct.html

You got to be kidding me

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jantje For This Post:

dynamo (26th February 2018), Mercedes (26th February 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,648 times in 1,188 posts

We live in a corporate world with corporate rules where commerce comes before people safety. The Established is largely concerned about lawsuits, loss of jobs and revenues - they are not bothered about a few deaths or illnesses that can be covered up by corrupt science. All Governments, bar non, operate the same way. People are easily replaced
    Last edited by yelik; 26th February 2018 at 18:37.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yelik For This Post:

dynamo (26th February 2018), jjjones (27th February 2018), lloyds (27th February 2018), Rebecca (27th February 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Eww... they really don't give two flying ones. Look at that disgusting water. Dog dishes are cleaner. How can we continue to survive when some people care only for today? I physically get sick when I see this and being an empath, I gotta tell you, it's very nauseating. A sort of rising to the top feeling. Yuck. I don't know what we are to do to clean it, but I can tell you we need to jail those doing it, if that's all we can do.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

dynamo (27th February 2018), KiwiElf (27th February 2018), O Donna (27th February 2018), yelik (27th February 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 times in 595 posts

Quote Posted by Lifebringer (here)
    ...I gotta tell you, it's very nauseating. A sort of rising to the top feeling. Yuck. I don't know what we are to do to clean it, but I can tell you we need to jail those doing it, if that's all we can do.
    I wish it was that easy, Lifebringer.

In the case of the Flint, MI water disaster, no one "in authority" has been jailed.
    In fact, activists (mothers and other "regular" citizens) have died under mysterious circumstances while gaining evidence against the City of Flint!!!
    That makes me sick to my stomach!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

KiwiElf (27th February 2018), O Donna (27th February 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member ceetee9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,542 times in 741 posts

Quote The N.C. Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is investigating wells as far as 2 ½ miles from the Chemours chemical plant where GenX was first detected. Testing will continue until state officials determine the full extent of the contaminated area.

The first signs of contamination came from monitoring wells on the land occupied by the Chemours chemical plant. After testing showed high levels of GenX in the ground water, state officials started investigating wells within a mile of Chemours. They later expanded the test area to a mile and a half.

“We have unfortunately not found the extent of the groundwater contamination,” admitted Michael Scott of the North Carolina DEQ during an information session held at Bladen Community College.
    Let me get this straight. So the DEQ KNOWS there are “high levels of GenX in the groundwater” (a chemical known to cause cancer and reproductive problems in animals) within a mile of the plant that uses GenX. Then they expanded the testing area to a mile and a half of the plant (ostensibly because of the contamination they had found thus far) and now they're up to two and half miles, but “unfortunately” they must continue testing until they know the “full extent of the contaminated area.” Meanwhile, the environment continues to be polluted and people's health and lives are potentially at risk. No problem. No need to err on the side of public safety and a non-toxic environment. Protracted testing is the key.

Quote According to Scott, the state government persuaded Chemours to expand tests on the effectiveness of a water filtration system. The company is already testing one home, and it has agreed to add three more residences. Testing is expected to take up several months.
    See, Chemours had to be “persuaded” to expand residential home tests from one to four shows how serious and truly concerned they are about the issue. And what's several more months of risking the health of locals among friends.

Besides, the smart thing to do is to ask the fox guarding the hen house if the chickens are safe. No need for independent testing.

Quote Chemours officials also promised to take responsibility if GenX proved to be a problem, said Ray Britt, a member of the county’s Board of Commissioners who had talked with the company’s representatives.

“I feel real good about the conversation,” he assured the 135 residents of Cumberland County in attendance.
    I'm sure all the local residents of Cumberland County feel equally as good as Commissioner Britt does about Chemours “promise” to take responsibility for the GenX issue if it's “proved” to be a problem. Even if Mr. Britt and his family live within the contamination area, I'm sure he'd still feel great about his “conversation” with Chemours. Don't you?

Quote “I don’t want to die from this,” worried Levonne Daniels, a concerned resident who lives in Hickory Hill Drive. “Somebody needs to do something about it.”
    No need to worry Ms. Daniels, Chemours management and your N.C. Department of Environmental Quality (and doubtless other government officials) are on top of this issue and will have it resolved lickety-split—well, at least within the next few years or so. Meanwhile, just think positive thoughts. Oh, and don't drink the groundwater.

Quote The matter is serious enough for residents to bring it to court, believed a Cumberland County representative.
    See, I knew your government officials would take action. Oh wait, did he say, you, the residents need to bring it to court. Well at least you'll get it resolved soon then. We all know how quickly courts resolve issues involving corporate oversteps and malfeasance don't we?

Quote “This is going to be a long, long process. It’s going to take all of us working together to fix it,” remarked Rep. Billy Richardson as reported by The Fayetteville Observer.
    Oops! Wrong again. Looks like it isn't going to be resolved anytime soon and your elected officials aren't going to resolve it for you. As Rep. Richardson said, “It's going to take all of us working together to fix it”—which is doublespeak for “you're going to have to fix it yourself.”

Quote According to his colleague John Szoka, elected officials are truly concerned about the GenX crisis.
    See, don't worry, be happy. You're elected officials are “truly concerned about the GenX crisis.”
    Last edited by ceetee9; 28th February 2018 at 16:37.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ceetee9 For This Post:

dynamo (28th February 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

All the toxic runoff from big-ag cattle and hog operations have already contaminated most of the "potable" ground water in north carolina. This just adds further insult to a huge pre-existing injury.

While not a perfect solution, capturing and filtering & distilling rainwater for those that live in this region is probably the sanest choice that we have.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

dynamo (5th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread