Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On Earth As It Is In Heaven

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Default On Earth As It Is In Heaven

"....on earth as it is in heaven...."

I don't have much patience for meditation which probably means I need it but I do occasionally say the Lord's Prayer to myself and it does relax me. Recently it hit me that I do not know what it means - "....Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..." I'm uttering words for which I don't really understand.

I've listened to scores of NDE's (Near Death Experiences) and they fascinate me. Countless people who don't know eachother having similar experiences. These are people who are either pronounced dead or have had a trauma and wake up finding themselves not only outside of their body but suddenly in a different place altogether which many of them call Heaven for want of a better word. They all relay a place of incredible Love they say can't be put in words and find themselves surrounded, enmeshed in Beauty that also render them almost speechless.

What is supposed to manifest on Earth that is in Heaven? Is the prayer saying Earth will not end until it reflects the same qualites as heaven? To me that is impossible and will not happen.

In the Occult, there is the famous and somewhat similar saying - "...AS ABOVE SO BELOW..." Obviously the occultists are on to something Jesus was also trying to convey to us, but what?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. thx

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Agape (6th March 2018), Baby Steps (6th March 2018), Bill Ryan (5th March 2018), bluestflame (6th March 2018), Bob (5th March 2018), bojancan (6th March 2018), Bruno (6th March 2018), DNA (7th March 2018), Ernie Nemeth (7th March 2018), Ewan (6th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th March 2018), gaiagirl (6th March 2018), KiwiElf (5th March 2018), Kryztian (7th March 2018), Matthew (6th March 2018), Michelle Marie (6th March 2018), Mike (6th March 2018), Noelle (6th March 2018), petra (14th March 2018), Satori (5th March 2018), Sunny-side-up (6th March 2018), The Freedom Train (6th March 2018), Valerie Villars (6th March 2018), we-R-one (5th March 2018), william r sanford72 (8th March 2018), Wind (6th March 2018), yelik (6th March 2018), Zampano (6th March 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Default Re: On Earth As It Is In Heaven

Good point! Since I have learned who this "Father" is.....I no longer do that "meditation"! (a la Robert Stanley experiences)

I now do the Warrior's Creed instead!

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Baby Steps (6th March 2018), Bill Ryan (5th March 2018), bojancan (6th March 2018), Creedence (6th March 2018), DNA (7th March 2018), Ewan (6th March 2018), gaiagirl (6th March 2018), Helene West (6th March 2018), KiwiElf (5th March 2018), Michelle Marie (6th March 2018), Noelle (6th March 2018), The Freedom Train (6th March 2018), we-R-one (5th March 2018), yelik (6th March 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,827 times in 1,436 posts

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    "....on earth as it is in heaven...."

I don't have much patience for meditation which probably means I need it but I do occasionally say the Lord's Prayer to myself and it does relax me. Recently it hit me that I do not know what it means - "....Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..." I'm uttering words for which I don't really understand.
    Forgive me, but I burst out laughing when you said the last sentence. I only laugh because how many of us have done the same, myself included! You make a good point! More of us are beginning to think for ourselves rather than play follow the leader which means we question...a sign of growth!

I think Heaven is a higher vibrational environment, it's where the soul goes when the body dies. Research suggests there are different dimensions and what you believe(Biology of Belief) dictates where in those dimensions one may find themselves. I interpret the wish is for the soul to evolve to the point that living on Earth is the same as being in Heaven, meaning the energetic foundation of both will be one and the same...'on Earth as it is in Heaven.'

Hugs to you Helene!
    Last edited by we-R-one; 5th March 2018 at 22:38.

6. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Good question. Here's my personal take:

The previous part of the sentence will give you some context, as it is asking for God to come to earth and set things right. The version I am most familiar with goes ...

"Thy Kingdom come ..." (i.e. when your Kingdom comes to the earthly realm, (then) thy will (will) be done, on earth as it is, in heaven." So, the supplicant (you/me) is asking that God come and make earthly things operate by heaven's laws; that is, according to God's will, not the will of mankind.

Just my take, of course.

Namaste,

Brian
    Last edited by Fellow Aspirant; 5th March 2018 at 23:23.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

damian (6th March 2018), Ewan (6th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th March 2018), gaiagirl (6th March 2018), Helene West (6th March 2018), Michelle Marie (6th March 2018), Noelle (6th March 2018), The Freedom Train (6th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018)

8. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,486 times in 1,711 posts

"Your will, as it is in heaven."
    How are we to know how it is in heaven?

And, the phrases of, "lead us not into temptation" "and deliver us from evil" means that maybe god might
    guide us in the wrong direction, maybe, and we are asking him not to.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th March 2018), Helene West (6th March 2018), Michelle Marie (6th March 2018), petra (14th March 2018), The Freedom Train (6th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

It is said that the Kingdom of Heaven is within. When I go within to meditate, I feel a deep sense of peace.

It sure would be nice if there would be that deep sense of peace on Earth as it is in the Heaven deep in my heart.

The other day I was at home having a slow and easy peaceful day. I drifted into a reverie of deep peace. I was wondering what it would be like if lots of people cultivated that vibration of peace and it spread around the world.

"Thy Will Be Done"... When I am at peace, I feel resonance with Creative Will. I get downloads of information, or I get inspired to write something, or do something. It's like the lake of my consciousness is calm and I can get the most clear impressions.
    I'm just speaking from my own experience and musings. I don't really know the answer!

I recently read the book "Proof of Heaven" by Eben Alexander. He was a physician and didn't believe in it really, until he got critically ill and went into a coma for a week...and went to Heaven. He also wrote "Map of Heaven" but I haven't read that yet. After my best friend went there, I read a lot of books about NDEs, the soul's journey, the bardo, etc. It sounds fascinating!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	37302

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (6th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th March 2018), Helene West (6th March 2018), Noelle (6th March 2018), onevoice (6th March 2018), petra (14th March 2018), The Freedom Train (6th March 2018), Valerie Villars (6th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

There is this material realm, and there is many spiritual levels... it mostly depends upon the thinking of the human being, inside the human being is the realm of heaven /hell / the creative realm ... the tiny spark of Creation inside each of us is the same spark that created everything... number of incarnations, life experiences will determine the level of evolution ... spirits that have incarnated longer will have abilities younger spirits wont have yet ... 40-60 million years until we reach half spirit half material, then 56 million years we reach a pure spirit level where we no longer need a material body to learn... 3 billion years in that state, and the levels go up and up , finer and finer , this pure spirit level is where most people experience the light, the voices, the love etc... the job of the higher evolved is to help the lower evolved gain ground in the evolutive process... you can read some material from one of the figu sites, they have alot to say about this topic... in eternity everything is connected and timeless ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (7th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th March 2018), Helene West (6th March 2018), Michelle Marie (6th March 2018), Noelle (6th March 2018), The Freedom Train (6th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

As it is above, so it is below. It's reminding us that the microcosm and the macrocosm are reflections of each other
    Gods will is manifested at the largest and smallest scales.
    That's my unsolicited take on it anyways.

15. Link to Post #9
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 times in 1,632 posts

I have nothing to contribute in interpreting the prayer, but I can point out that some say it originates from the hypothetical Q Document (Q Source). I learned this recently -- right around the time that Pope Francis announced he wanted to change a line in the prayer.

More About Q and the Gospel of Thomas:

Q is the designation for a gospel that no longer exists, but many think must have existed at one time. In fact, even though no copy of this gospel has survived independently, some nineteenth-century scholars found fragments of such an early Christian composition embeded in the gospels of Matthew and Luke.

By putting these two gospels beside that of Mark, scholars realized that when Matthew and Luke are telling the story about Jesus, for the most part they both follow the order and often even the wording of Mark. But, into this common narrative outline, Matthew and Luke each insert extra sayings and teachings of Jesus. And although Matthew and Luke do not put these sayings in the same order, nevertheless they each repeat many of the same sayings, sometimes word for word.

Since for other reasons it seems unlikely that either Matthew or Luke could have copied from the other, how can this sort of agreement be explained? The answer appears to be that Matthew and Luke each had two sources in common: the Gospel of Mark and another gospel, now lost, a collection of sayings known only as Q.

Q stands for "Quelle," the German word for source. Although no actual copy of Q has ever been found, many scholars are convinced that such a document once circulated in early Christian communities. Since it was difficult to get excited about something that did not exist, Q remained a hypothesis that lingered on the edges of scholarly research. But in 1945, a chance discovery in Egypt provided surprisingly new evidence that rekindled interest in the possible existence of Q.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th March 2018), gaiagirl (6th March 2018), Helene West (6th March 2018), Matthew (6th March 2018), Michelle Marie (6th March 2018), The Freedom Train (6th March 2018), Valerie Villars (6th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018)

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Fellow Aspirant (here)

The previous part of the sentence will give you some context, as it is asking for God to come to earth and set things right. The version I am most familiar with goes ...

"Thy Kingdom come ..." (i.e. when your Kingdom comes to the earthly realm, (then) thy will (will) be done, on earth as it is, in heaven." So, the supplicant (you/me) is asking that God come and make earthly things operate by heaven's laws; that is, according to God's will, not the will of mankind.

Just my take, of course.

Namaste,

Brian
    Ah, supplication! I was raised to be a supplicant. On my knees, please, please God. My poor mother is still begging God to help this one and that one and herself....

It wasn't until I was well in my '30s that I read something from Unity church and it may have been Emmet Fox who pointed out that right there in the Gospels, Mark 11, that we are told to pray as if we already received, our need was already known and being handled. What a finding for me! I could assume, I could expect with confidence that God would answer, that it's already handled and that as a reflecton of God I had a right to expect a positive outcome!

For over 2000 years it was there in the gospels yet everyone I knew was trained to ask, solicit sincerely and humbly, and whatever happened, it was His will. Not ever a mention of what St. Mark had said. And those who read the Bible didn't even see it because we were trained not to see what was right in front of us.

In the past I'd be angry at the church fathers for perpetuating this supplicant mentality. Now I realize that praying knowing you will receive or know that it has already taken place is much more difficult than begging. A lot of belief and also knowledge is necessary to pray like a 'real' Christian, the kind St. Mark is addressing. It's easier for the average person to just say 'please'.

Praying as if one has already received for me is a Principle.
    That is what I'm looking for in 'as above so below' and 'on earth as it is in heaven'. There's a principle involved somewhere in that and i don't think it's about supplication.
    The occult rendition and the christian rendition are similar and the occultists are no supplicants!

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

DNA (7th March 2018), Ewan (6th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th March 2018), gaiagirl (6th March 2018), Michelle Marie (6th March 2018), Noelle (6th March 2018), The Freedom Train (8th March 2018), Valerie Villars (6th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018)

19. Link to Post #11
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    Quote Posted by Fellow Aspirant (here)

Just my take, of course.

Namaste,

Brian
    Ah, supplication! I was raised to be a supplicant. On my knees, please, please God. My poor mother is still begging God to help this one and that one and herself....

It wasn't until I was well in my '30s that I read something from Unity church and it may have been Emmet Fox who pointed out that right there in the Gospels, Mark 11, that we are told to pray as if we already received, our need was already known and being handled. What a finding for me! I could assume, I could expect with confidence that God would answer, that it's already handled and that as a reflecton of God I had a right to expect a positive outcome!

For over 2000 years it was there in the gospels yet everyone I knew was trained to ask, solicit sincerely and humbly, and whatever happened, it was His will. Not ever a mention of what St. Mark had said. And those who read the Bible didn't even see it because we were trained not to see what was right in front of us.

In the past I'd be angry at the church fathers for perpetuating this supplicant mentality. Now I realize that praying knowing you will receive or know that it has already taken place is much more difficult than begging. A lot of belief and also knowledge is necessary to pray like a 'real' Christian, the kind St. Mark is addressing. It's easier for the average person to just say 'please'.

Praying as if one has already received for me is a Principle.
    That is what I'm looking for in 'as above so below' and 'on earth as it is in heaven'. There's a principle involved somewhere in that and i don't think it's about supplication.
    The occult rendition and the christian rendition are similar and the occultists are no supplicants!
    Interesting. But if you have already received a blessing, aren't you, in your prayers, giving thanks?

If so, then what is being accomplished by performing the act of "praying"? What would be the intent? I had always thought it was an act of asking.

Hmmmmmm ... Fascinating possibilities here, Helene.

Namaste,

Brian
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th March 2018), Helene West (6th March 2018), Michelle Marie (6th March 2018), Noelle (6th March 2018), The Freedom Train (8th March 2018), Valerie Villars (6th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote If so, then what is being accomplished by performing the act of "praying"? What would be the intent? I had always thought it was an act of asking.
    I am a Melanoma survivor and I am 100 percent convinced that I am alive today because of the power of prayer. Its been said that just the prayers of 10 people can avert a nation going to war.

Too many people approach prayer like they are writing a wish list for Santa at Christmas time. I consider it a much more meditative act. You must get your noisy mind quiet as you can to commune with the Creator. I see the act of prayer as a releasing of your faith in God more than anything.

I know many people, family included who have asked me why I would ever believe in a fairy tale book that is full of contradictions. Here is the thing most people don't seem to understand about the bible though, if you read it in a way where you are looking for contradictions and inconsistencies, then thats all you are going to find. However if you read scripture in a prayerful, thoughtful, meditative way, then the hidden meanings contained therein begin to reveal themselves to you. I believe that's why Jesus spoke in metaphors and parables so much. There are layers to the wisdom he taught for those with "ears to hear".

22. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Quote on earth as it is in heaven
    'Heaven and Earth'
    'As above so below'

'Higher self' and 'Earthly, material self' as one.

It's not about receiving, it's about being
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th March 2018), Helene West (6th March 2018), Michelle Marie (7th March 2018), Noelle (7th March 2018), The Freedom Train (8th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018)

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,243 times in 4,597 posts

“Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven”

Possibly means “May your will, principles of Divine Love, righteousness, virtues and so forth be followed without mistake. Fastly and efficiently. Without delays and procrastination. If you know something is right to do, do it. If you know something is not right to do, don’t do it. And feel the love within that is merciful ..”

I think that the line reflects some Old Testament teachings
    that describe “Heaven” as place or say dimension of existence
    where all Angels follow Divine Will and rejoice in it.
    The higher the heaven ,
    more principled inhabitants you find ...

in the lower heavens angels just sing and dance around but they’re still good beings

descend to Earth ..it’s an unruly place .

People act out of principles and character all the time and some try to impersonate Divine Love and think that shadows of their human selves represent Divine Will.

Most of the old religions got this point settled :

there’ll always be Earth and Heaven ( relatively speaking, of course).

Things won’t function perfectly on Earth but we are still to keep trying .

It’s a simple trick ...follow Love and instantly you create a Heaven. Sometimes it takes an action or two but if you feel good it can’t end up too bad.

Acting against the Love of Life, no matter how right it may feel , if it makes you feel bad it’s bad because you’re creating little Hell.

There’s a positive direction in every prayer ...

create a Heaven.

Don’t just move like a fool, without heart.

Be filled by Love that is Blessing

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th March 2018), Helene West (7th March 2018), Michelle Marie (7th March 2018), Noelle (7th March 2018), The Freedom Train (8th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018), Wind (7th March 2018)

26. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

What wonderful postings! It is so great to read everyone's take on all this....Great Minds! Speaking of The Gospels.....Joseph Atwill's books gave me the answers I had been seeking....not even a need for "Q" there!

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

DNA (14th March 2018), Helene West (7th March 2018), Michelle Marie (7th March 2018), Noelle (7th March 2018), The Freedom Train (8th March 2018), we-R-one (6th March 2018)

28. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Helene, I think I understand where you are coming from, because I posted something called "Pondering Prayer" not too long ago. Because the nature of the universe was revealed to me (in a tiny, huge way) it set my head reeling over just what is really going on here. I still have trouble praying because of it, BUT I earnestly believe that is just a stumbling block in the learning curve. I really do believe that intent and personal power in the service of the greater benevolence is the key and if that is really in your heart, it kind of doesn't matter what the words say as long as the intent is pure and good and most emphatically not begging. There's just an earnest, pure, childlike quality of gratitude and faith, minus any and all manipulation that is the real meat of any prayer that is the real deal.

The fact that you are questioning it seems to indicate a real path of your life being your prayer. And the key is the word YOUR life and not what someone else has dictated to be the proper prayer or the proper life for you. It is just you earnestly seeking God.

Lady M had some real, true points. The Gospel of Thomas is quite close to the truth. And it was hidden to us until recently. It's the real deal.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

DNA (14th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th March 2018), Helene West (7th March 2018), Michelle Marie (7th March 2018), Noelle (7th March 2018), The Freedom Train (8th March 2018), we-R-one (7th March 2018)

30. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

I'm touched by all the wonderful responses, thank you all so much.

Lady M, I just ordered the Gospel of St. Thomas. I'm so curious to read the 'sayings of Jesus' outside of the 4 famous gospels.

I was perusing around regarding the occult version of my question, "as above so below" and what kept popping up is something called The Emerald Tablet supposedly from the ancient alchemist, Hermes Trismegistus. I'm not into Wicca (ok maybe a little during my early feminist days) or witchcraft but just for something different I'm copying below from an apparent wiccan or modern alchemist. I can't give you the source because no sooner had I copied it off the site that my security software started giving me red alerts so I got off the site quickly.
    -------------

When Witches seal a circle casting, sacred space or a spell, they often say the words "As above, so below. This circle (or spell) is sealed. So mote it be." That's great but what does this mean? The words As above, so below stem from the mystery traditions of Alchemy, and specifically from an amazing piece of work called the EMERALD TABLET.

The credo of the alchemical adepts (As above, so below) supposedly came from an inscription found on an emerald tablet in the hands of a mummy in an obscure pit by the pyramid of Giza, discovered by Alexander the Great. The information was supposedly written on an emerald tablet with a pointed diamond. The emerald was linked to Mercury, and you can see now where the Hermes-Mercury-Thoth association comes into play. The document is called the Emerald Tablet and if you read the words carefully you will slowly understand a large chunk of the mystery traditions, including Witchcraft.

THE EMERALD TABLET
    The following translation of the Emerald Tablet is a modern translation by J.F.Ruska.

1. IN TRUTH CERTAINLY AND WITHOUT DOUBT WHATEVER IS BELOW IS LIKE THAT WHICH IS ABOVE, AND WHATEVER IS ABOVE IS LIKE THAT WHICH IS BELOW, TO ACCOMPLISH THE MIRACLES OF ONE THING.
    2. Just as all things proceed from One alone by meditation by One alone, so also they are born from this one thing by adaptation.
    3. Its father is the sun and its mother is the moon. The wind has borne it in it body. Its nurse is the earth.
    4. It is the father of every miraculous work in the whole world.
    5. Its power is perfect if it is converted to earth.
    6. Separate the earth from the fire and the subtle from the gross, softly and with great prudence.
    7. It rises from the earth to heaven and comes down again from heaven to earth, and thus acquires the power of the realities above and the realities below. In this way you acquire the glory of the whole world, and all darkness will leave you.
    8. This is the power of all powers, for it conquers everything subtle and penetrates everything solid.
    9. Thus the little world is created according to the prototype of the great world.
    10. From this and in this way, marvelous applications are made.
    11. For this reason I am called Hermes Trismegistus, for I possess the three parts of wisdom of the whole world.
    12. Perfect is what I have said of the work of the sun.
    Last edited by Helene West; 7th March 2018 at 01:48.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

DNA (7th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th March 2018), Michelle Marie (7th March 2018), Noelle (7th March 2018), The Freedom Train (8th March 2018), we-R-one (7th March 2018)

32. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Here is the warrior's creed as mentioned by Foxie Loxie

https://thewisdomwarrior.com/2014/11...arriors-creed/

A Warrior’s Creed

I have no parents – I make Heaven and Earth my parents.
    I have no home – I make awareness my home.
    I have no life or death – I make the tides of breathing life and death.
    I have no divine power – I make honesty my divine power.
    I have no means – I make understanding my means.
    I have no magic secrets – I make character my magic secret.
    I have no body – I make endurance my body.
    I have no eyes – I make the flash of lightening my eyes.
    I have no ears – I make sensibility my ears.
    I have no limbs – I make promptness my limbs.
    I have no strategy – I make “unshadowed by thought” my strategy.
    I have no designs – I make “seizing opportunity by the forelock” my designs.
    I have no miracles – I make right action my miracles.
    I have no principles – I make adaptability to all circumstances my principles.
    I have no tactics – I make emptiness and fullness my tactics.
    I have no friends – I make my mind my friend.
    I have no enemy – I make carelessness my enemy.
    I have no armor – I make benevolence and righteousness my armor.
    I have no castle – I make immovable mind my castle.
    I have no sword – I make absence of self my sword.
    (written by a 14th century samurai)

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (7th March 2018), Helene West (7th March 2018), Michelle Marie (7th March 2018), Noelle (8th March 2018), The Freedom Train (8th March 2018), Valerie Villars (9th March 2018), we-R-one (7th March 2018)

34. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

How could I have forgotten?
    In my long journey of searching for answers I tried many things, formal and informal. The closest I came to system of thought/belief that intuitively felt correct to me was Christian Science. NO, it is not a cult, furthest thing from that. They have no hierarchy, no clergy. They attract a high percentage of educated people. I think they may also have on record the most healings of any religion.

So why did I not continue with that from many years ago? Because I was too weak. The slightest pain or discomfort and I want material relief as soon as possible. They calmly read, study and pray for healing. If you think you believe that your true nature is spiritual, well, they put their money where their mouth is!...At any rate, I meandered away continuing searching, searching. I just remembered their lovely version of the Lord's Prayer. It may surprise you. Each familiar line of the prayer is followed by their interpretation. They say this entire version at their services:

Our Father which art in heaven,
    Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious,

Hallowed be Thy name.
    Adorable One.

Thy kingdom come.
    Thy kingdom is come; Thou art ever-present.

Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
    Enable us to know, — as in heaven, so on earth, —
    God is omnipotent, supreme.

Give us this day our daily bread;
    Give us grace for to-day; feed the famished affections;

And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
    And Love is reflected in love;

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;
    And God leadeth us not into temptation, but delivereth
    us from sin, disease, and death.

For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
    For God is infinite, all-power, all Life, Truth, Love,
    over all, and All.

From Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures
    by Mary Baker Eddy, pp. 16–17

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th March 2018), Michelle Marie (8th March 2018), Noelle (8th March 2018), petra (14th March 2018), The Freedom Train (8th March 2018)

36. Link to Post #20
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

Quote Posted by LadyM (here)
    I have nothing to contribute in interpreting the prayer, but I can point out that some say it originates from the hypothetical Q Document (Q Source). I learned this recently -- right around the time that Pope Francis announced he wanted to change a line in the prayer.

More About Q and the Gospel of Thomas:

Q is the designation for a gospel that no longer exists, but many think must have existed at one time. In fact, even though no copy of this gospel has survived independently, some nineteenth-century scholars found fragments of such an early Christian composition embeded in the gospels of Matthew and Luke.

By putting these two gospels beside that of Mark, scholars realized that when Matthew and Luke are telling the story about Jesus, for the most part they both follow the order and often even the wording of Mark. But, into this common narrative outline, Matthew and Luke each insert extra sayings and teachings of Jesus. And although Matthew and Luke do not put these sayings in the same order, nevertheless they each repeat many of the same sayings, sometimes word for word.

Since for other reasons it seems unlikely that either Matthew or Luke could have copied from the other, how can this sort of agreement be explained? The answer appears to be that Matthew and Luke each had two sources in common: the Gospel of Mark and another gospel, now lost, a collection of sayings known only as Q.

Q stands for "Quelle," the German word for source. Although no actual copy of Q has ever been found, many scholars are convinced that such a document once circulated in early Christian communities. Since it was difficult to get excited about something that did not exist, Q remained a hypothesis that lingered on the edges of scholarly research. But in 1945, a chance discovery in Egypt provided surprisingly new evidence that rekindled interest in the possible existence of Q.
    I can't stop thinking of Q from Star Trek while reading this

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by ramus (here)
    Here is the warrior's creed as mentioned by Foxie Loxie

https://thewisdomwarrior.com/2014/11...arriors-creed/

A Warrior’s Creed

I have no parents – I make Heaven and Earth my parents.
    I have no home – I make awareness my home.
    I have no life or death – I make the tides of breathing life and death.
    I have no divine power – I make honesty my divine power.
    I have no means – I make understanding my means.
    I have no magic secrets – I make character my magic secret.
    I have no body – I make endurance my body.
    I have no eyes – I make the flash of lightening my eyes.
    I have no ears – I make sensibility my ears.
    I have no limbs – I make promptness my limbs.
    I have no strategy – I make “unshadowed by thought” my strategy.
    I have no designs – I make “seizing opportunity by the forelock” my designs.
    I have no miracles – I make right action my miracles.
    I have no principles – I make adaptability to all circumstances my principles.
    I have no tactics – I make emptiness and fullness my tactics.
    I have no friends – I make my mind my friend.
    I have no enemy – I make carelessness my enemy.
    I have no armor – I make benevolence and righteousness my armor.
    I have no castle – I make immovable mind my castle.
    I have no sword – I make absence of self my sword.
    (written by a 14th century samurai)
    This has badass written all over it!

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Oddball (here)
    Quote If so, then what is being accomplished by performing the act of "praying"? What would be the intent? I had always thought it was an act of asking.
    I am a Melanoma survivor and I am 100 percent convinced that I am alive today because of the power of prayer. Its been said that just the prayers of 10 people can avert a nation going to war.

Too many people approach prayer like they are writing a wish list for Santa at Christmas time. I consider it a much more meditative act. You must get your noisy mind quiet as you can to commune with the Creator. I see the act of prayer as a releasing of your faith in God more than anything.

I know many people, family included who have asked me why I would ever believe in a fairy tale book that is full of contradictions. Here is the thing most people don't seem to understand about the bible though, if you read it in a way where you are looking for contradictions and inconsistencies, then thats all you are going to find. However if you read scripture in a prayerful, thoughtful, meditative way, then the hidden meanings contained therein begin to reveal themselves to you. I believe that's why Jesus spoke in metaphors and parables so much. There are layers to the wisdom he taught for those with "ears to hear".
    How wonderful. You have mastered patience, appreciation, and communion with your creator. Bravo!

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th March 2018), Helene West (14th March 2018), Michelle Marie (8th March 2018), Noelle (8th March 2018), petra (14th March 2018), Valerie Villars (9th March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast