+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Pale Blue Speck in the Cosmos Vastness... Home!

1. Link to Post #1
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Default A Pale Blue Speck in the Cosmos Vastness... Home!

Pale Blue Dot in the Cosmos

Design Luck
    Sun, 04 Mar 2018 00:00 UTC

When the Voyager 1 probe was 3.7 billion miles from Earth, Carl Sagan made a request.

He asked NASA to turn it around to snap a quick photograph. The result was a faint image of Earth surrounded by the vastness of space. The late astronomer would then use this picture to share his own reflections on what it meant and why it was important for us to capture.

© Unknown
    "Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

"The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

"It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."
    The Scales of Perspective

[...]

Full article:
    https://www.designluck.com/pale-blue-dot/
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Apulu (6th March 2018), Art (6th March 2018), Bill Ryan (6th March 2018), Daughter of Time (6th March 2018), DNA (6th March 2018), dynamo (6th March 2018), Ernie Nemeth (6th March 2018), Ewan (6th March 2018), Flash (6th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th March 2018), gaiagirl (6th March 2018), ghostrider (6th March 2018), Iloveyou (6th March 2018), justntime2learn (6th March 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (14th March 2018), Mike (6th March 2018), Nasu (6th March 2018), O Donna (6th March 2018), Olam (6th March 2018), seko (6th March 2018), shijo (6th March 2018), sijohn (6th March 2018), Tam (6th March 2018), toppy (6th March 2018), Valerie Villars (6th March 2018), Violet3 (6th March 2018), william r sanford72 (6th March 2018), Zampano (6th March 2018), Zanshin (6th March 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,024 times in 1,086 posts

Default Re: A Pale Blue Speck in the Cosmos Vastness... Home!

Amazing pic. One for the flat earthers! Thanks for posting... N

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2018), Daughter of Time (6th March 2018), DNA (6th March 2018), dynamo (6th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th March 2018), gaiagirl (6th March 2018), Hervé (6th March 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (14th March 2018), Mike (6th March 2018), O Donna (6th March 2018), toppy (6th March 2018), Violet3 (6th March 2018), william r sanford72 (6th March 2018), Zanshin (6th March 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,309 times in 5,692 posts

It's an amazing photo. I know I'm supposed to see that pic and have an a-ha sort of moment. It should provide perspective, and a sense of relativity. And to some degree, it does those things.

But I know I still have to wake up tomorrow morning and go to work; I still have to buy food, water; I have to exercise and take care of my car. Pay the rent. All the little things. I still have to fight to survive.., therefore I still have to take these mundane activities on this tiny pale blue dot very seriously, regardless of our relative tininess to the universe.

And yet, one can't help but feel small and insignificant while looking at something like that. It's a funny juxtaposition.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (6th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th March 2018), Hervé (6th March 2018), Nasu (6th March 2018), norman (6th March 2018), O Donna (6th March 2018), starlight (6th March 2018), toppy (6th March 2018), Valerie Villars (6th March 2018), Violet3 (6th March 2018), william r sanford72 (6th March 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thank you for this picture and the amazing perspective in conveys

I am of the mind to print, frame, and hang this on a wall so I see it and reflect upon this every day

Sijohn

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sijohn For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (7th March 2018), Hervé (6th March 2018), Iloveyou (6th March 2018), Nasu (6th March 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Quote "Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
    Hello Hervé, a very nice OP, thank you.

Yes we have to strive to help our selves and in so doing gain the opportunity to help others when the time comes (If not already for some)

But I do think that we have the right to think of our selves as important.
    We are important if we abide by and strive to be good beings.
    That is what is important to the universe of beings and consciousness.

The more we become good beings and add to the energies of good consciousness, the more we will stand out, stand out to those out there who can see and feel such energies, and see those of our kind as bigger than just a part of a small but still very precious blue dot (host).

Fill your self to over flowing right now, fill with love and care for yourself and for all, and our little blue dot instantly shines vastly bigger

Earth is planet host to us.
    Last edited by Sunny-side-up; 6th March 2018 at 13:19.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (7th March 2018), Hervé (6th March 2018), Nasu (6th March 2018), O Donna (6th March 2018), Valerie Villars (6th March 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Here is Carl Sagan on the Pale Blue dot, it brought tears ... what we do to each other,and for what. It sure gives perspective.

The video is 3min28 sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (14th March 2018), Hervé (14th March 2018), Iloveyou (14th March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread