Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Default Bette Davis Eyes

Anyone remember this

earlier

Who do you prefer?

http://myyouchoose.com/741/whose-voi...r-bonnie-tyler

Have you ever confused Kim Carnes for Bonnie Tyler? Possibly.

How about one of those two for Stevie Nicks? Probably not, only because Stevie is the most famous of the three. But it would make sense to think that Stevie Nicks, Kim Carnes & Bonnie Tyler are sisters. They're all blondes. They're all girlies. And, if you give a listen to their voices, they all either smoked 12 packs a day, back in the day, or share the same genetic raspiness. So, who's better? If you were stuck on a desert island with one of the three, who would it be?

Whose Voice Do You Prefer: Stevie Nicks, Kim Carnes or Bonnie Tyler?

I've met Chris Nicks, and their mom, Barbara Nicks in Phoenix - Interesting family.. Barbara gave me a pre-release, unpublished CD, of some most amazing material.. Thank you Barbara.. She died not too long ago, suffering from macular degeneration.. going blind (sad).. but beautiful for a moment to talk about her children and their work..

-- I just recalled hearing Bette Davis Eyes.. haunting.. then posted to share the memory..
    Last edited by Bob; 11th March 2018 at 04:59.

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Default Re: Bette Davis Eyes

Thanks Bob. I do remember this. "All About Eve" is one of my favorite movies. The dialogue in it is just incredible. Real genius.

As for the singers, l saw Fleetwood Mac, Marshall Tucker Band, Bob Seeger and Foreigner all at one outdoor concert in the 70's at City Park Stadium in New Orleans. The album "Rumors" had just come out and it was the first concert I ever went to.

I'd have to say my vote is for Stevie Nicks. As a teen I was jealous of her because all the boys had a crush on her. I was a brunette with a terrible singing voice.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

BMJ (12th March 2018), Bob (11th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th March 2018), Sophocles (1st February 2019), Vernaianawa (11th March 2018)

4. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Valerie (and the group) - here is a clip I found, within "All about Eve" the Bette Davis scene, "And we are all Busy Little Bees" (classic) absolutely riveting..

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

One of the greatest screenplays ever. Watching that bought a smile to my face. Thanks.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

BMJ (12th March 2018), Bob (11th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th March 2018), Vernaianawa (11th March 2018)

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 times in 650 posts

"All the boy's think she's a spy........"

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

BMJ (12th March 2018), Bob (11th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th March 2018), Vernaianawa (11th March 2018)

9. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by The Crimson Horse Blanket (here)
    "All the boy's think she's a spy........"

Quote And she'll tease you
    She'll unease you
    All the better just to please you
    She's precocious
    And she knows just what it

Quote Takes to make a pro blush
    All the boys Think she's a spy,
    She's got Bette Davis eyes

10. Link to Post #7
    Turkey Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 times in 216 posts

Quote Whose Voice Do You Prefer: Stevie Nicks, Kim Carnes or Bonnie Tyler?
    Stevie Nicks exactly! No voice and no performance like her.

Bonnie Tyler had some excellent songs with Mike Oldfield & Rick Wakeman by the way. She's also special for prog-rockers

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feritciva For This Post:

12. Link to Post #8
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

@Bob

"Have you ever confused Kim Carnes for Bonnie Tyler?"

lol!- actually, no- as an opera singer by profession I think I know how to differenciate between voices but both ladies as well as Louis Armstrong ("Satchmo"), Joe Cocker and a whole host of other vocal 'artists' (?) belong to the voice culture which I prefer to call the culture of "vocal barnacles"-

it's like barnacles have been attached to their vocal chords which gives them their horse, raspy voices- not my idea of beautifull voices- whever I hear them sing I have to change the radio channel; otherwise my own throat seems to start to constrict-

by the way, has anyone on this website seen Betty Davis' last live public appearance (on the Larry King Live show)?- she was dressed totally in an absolutely balking, really weird black costume that look liked garb for a druidic/satanic priestess- back then I thought "she looks really weird" but nowadys I think I understand it a bit more clearly as to maybe why-

please stay well all-

Larry

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

BMJ (12th March 2018), Valerie Villars (12th March 2018), Vernaianawa (11th March 2018)

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 times in 650 posts

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    @Bob

lol!- actually, no- as an opera singer by profession I think I know how to differenciate between voices but both ladies as well as Louis Armstrong ("Satchmo"), Joe Cocker and a whole host of other vocal 'artists' (?) belong to the voice culture which I prefer to call the culture of "vocal barnacles"-

it's like barnacles have been attached to their vocal chords which gives them their horse, raspy voices- not my idea of beautifull voices- whever I hear them sing I have to change the radio channel; otherwise my own throat seems to start to constrict-

by the way, has anyone on this website seen Betty Davis' last live public appearance (on the Larry King Live show)?- she was dressed totally in an absolutely balking, really weird black costume that look liked garb for a druidic/satanic priestess- back then I thought "she looks really weird" but nowadys I think I understand it a bit more clearly as to maybe why-

please stay well all-

Larry
    This one Larry?

Last edited by The Moss Trooper; 11th March 2018 at 21:23.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

BMJ (12th March 2018), Vernaianawa (11th March 2018)

16. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    @Bob

please stay well all-

Larry
    Such a shame one can't recall the original 30's 40's 50's which was the intent.. It was a blast to the past.. Something for MEMORIES.. Something I cherish and wanted to share with the group.. Find a downstat if one wants, the intent was to find some amazing amazing performances.. Reminds me of Crawford's jealousy.. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...e-davis-oscars

I'm staying with the beauty..
    Last edited by Bob; 12th March 2018 at 16:39.

17. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Who was Bette Davis -

Ruth Elizabeth "Bette" Davis (/ˈbɛti/; April 5, 1908 – October 6, 1989) was an American actress of film, television, and theater. Regarded as one of the greatest actresses in Hollywood history, she was noted for her willingness to play unsympathetic, sardonic characters and was famous for her performances in a range of film genres, from contemporary crime melodramas to historical and period films, suspense horror and occasional comedies, although her greatest successes were her roles in romantic dramas.

After appearing in Broadway plays, Davis moved to Hollywood in 1930. However, her early films for Universal Studios (and as a loanout to other studios) were unsuccessful. She joined Warner Bros. in 1932 and established her career with several critically acclaimed performances. In 1937, she attempted to free herself from her contract. Although she lost the well-publicized legal case against the studio, it marked the beginning of the most successful period of her career. Until the late 1940s, she was one of American cinema's most celebrated leading ladies, known for her forceful and intense style. Davis gained a reputation as a perfectionist who could be highly combative and confrontational. She clashed with studio executives and film directors as well as many of her co-stars.

Her forthright manner, idiosyncratic speech and ubiquitous cigarette contributed to a public persona, which has often been imitated.

Davis was the co-founder of the Hollywood Canteen, and was the first female president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

She won the Academy Award for Best Actress twice, was the first person to accrue ten Academy Award nominations for acting, and was the first woman to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Film Institute.

Her career went through several periods of eclipse, and she admitted that her success had often been at the expense of her personal relationships. Married four times, she was once widowed and three times divorced, and raised her children as a single parent. Her final years were marred by a long period of ill health, but she continued acting until shortly before her death from breast cancer, with more than 100 film, television and theater roles to her credit. In 1999, Davis was placed second behind Katharine Hepburn on the American Film Institute's list of the greatest female stars of classic Hollywood cinema.

18. Link to Post #12
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks

@Crimson Horse

"This one Larry?"

am not sure what you mean by this- a positive or negative comment to my posting?- please clarify-

the only thing I can remember about Betty Davis' supposedly last public appearance on Larry King Live was she was dressed totally in a totally weird black costume with feathers on top of her black hat-

maybe this video has been censored in the mean time and is no longer available on YouTube- YouTube has recently gone on a rampage of censoring everything that is controversial and doesn't conform to the sheeple's norm-

Larry

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

20. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I would not use sensationalist "Larry King live" interviews (CNN) for anything.
    Last edited by Bob; 12th March 2018 at 16:36.

21. Link to Post #14
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks

@Bob

"If you think you can compete with Bette Davis's performances how about starting your own thread so we all can critique your performances, my good friend. I have not heard one performance by you and I would certainly love to experience such. Until then shall we please acknowledge the best of the best, and not put down a person on an ignorant sensationalist "Larry King live" CNN smear? Or is there another intent that I am missing?"

am not sure if you mean me or someone else- I never, ever critized Betty Davis' acting abilities- she was a "gut" actress, one of the best ever-

please clarify your posting and to whom it was intended-

Larry

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

23. Link to Post #15
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,397 times in 4,297 posts

Thanks for this. Remember the Kim Carnes song fondly.

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    I dunno about a favourite from those. Bonnie Tyler had a deep, evocative, sultry voice for sure. But none of the three are quite "songbird" voices, nor quite my taste. I think one of my favourite all-time female singing voices (which I much prefer over male), is Karen Carpenter. A voice from heaven. Such a shame she went back too soon.

Debbie Harry - love her too, and Whitney Houston could belt them out. The voice of Mamma Cass was like.. nothing else. Like a dreamscape.

As for Stevie Nicks. Oops, sorry. When a South Park episode compared her voice to that of a goat, almost spat out my tea. Kind of nailed it there.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

BMJ (12th March 2018), Bob (11th March 2018), Valerie Villars (12th March 2018), Vernaianawa (11th March 2018)

25. Link to Post #16
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

-----------
    Larry and I have been in PM discussion - we're good, having discussed in private each others feelings about things.
    Last edited by Bob; 12th March 2018 at 16:34.

26. Link to Post #17
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Thanks for this. Remember the Kim Carnes song fondly.

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    I dunno about a favourite from those. Bonnie Tyler had a deep, evocative, sultry voice for sure. But none of the three are quite "songbird" voices, nor quite my taste. I think one of my favourite all-time female singing voices (which I much prefer over male), is Karen Carpenter. A voice from heaven. Such a shame she went back too soon.

Debbie Harry - love her too, and Whitney Houston could belt them out. The voice of Mamma Cass was like.. nothing else. Like a dreamscape.

As for Stevie Nicks. Oops, sorry. When a South Park episode compared her voice to that of a goat, almost spat out my tea. Kind of nailed it there.
    Thanks for that, it is hilarious - I saw that South Park episode too, having met only Chris Nicks and the mom, Barbara, it was a perspective framed moment.. I saw Barbara at her home in Phoenix.. God Bless the vision (and how she had it taken from her after the fact).. of her kids to be in music.. Chris's guitar wall was something.. My buddy who was quite close to the family, Stevie, Chris, Barbara and the group shared how they'd go dune bashing in the past.. just getting out there partying..

Share the soul, very very dear.. which Bette Davis reaches me similarly - share the SOUL despite whatever corporate maggots say otherwise, or those who would at later dates slam or detract from her ability to do such... I love those who share the soul - that means a lot to me.. It's not ego, it's way deeper than that..

27. Link to Post #18
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Bob;1213621]/QUOTE]

(PS - Larry and I have been in PM dialog about this. - we're good. I apologized for being reactive.)
    Last edited by Bob; 12th March 2018 at 16:33.

28. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Star, I saw Karen Carpenter in New Orleans in about 7th grade. I have never heard a voice like hers in anyone else. It is the voice of an angel and is an instrument unto itself. Her voice is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.

And Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blond has one of the most purely powerful. A gorgeous voice.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

BMJ (12th March 2018), Bob (12th March 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread