+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird Sh*t I've seen as a Marine

1. Link to Post #1
    Great Britain Avalon Member Amenjo's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Weird Sh*t I've seen as a Marine

Don't know if anyone has come across this, but a user on Reddit started posting these stories from his time in the Marines, and the strange occurrences that happened during training in Arizona.

The section that he posted in on Reddit is for authors of fiction and non fiction horror stories, in there it states that anyone that posts there is not allowed to say if the stories are true or not.

Although judging by his comments on twitter they do appear to be real stories

The interesting thing is that different narrators have been reading the stories on YouTube channels, and I think this guy below has got a great voice for it. (There are other narrators out there if you prefer an American accent)

So here's a link to the posts that the author has collated on his own website here

And here's part 1 of 5 narrated on YouTube

Here's his Reddit account

And here's his twitter

Love and Truth,

Amenjo

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Amenjo For This Post:

9ideon (17th March 2018), anandacate (14th March 2018), astridmari (15th March 2018), badmotorfinger (15th March 2018), DNA (14th March 2018), Flash (15th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (14th March 2018), Franny (17th March 2018), Inversion (14th March 2018), Jac0b (16th March 2018), Kryztian (15th March 2018), loc333 (14th March 2018), Mercedes (16th March 2018), O Donna (14th March 2018), Rawhide68 (15th March 2018), selinam (14th March 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,158 times in 1,663 posts

Default Re: Weird Sh*t I've seen as a Marine

Without being able to discern the veracity of these stories they do, however, take on the tone of scary campfire stories.
    Knock Knock

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Amenjo (14th March 2018), Inversion (14th March 2018), justntime2learn (15th March 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by O Donna (here)
    Without being able to discern the veracity of these stories they do, however, take on the tone of scary campfire stories.
    Yes real or not they are very entertaining.

Love and Truth,

Amenjo

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amenjo For This Post:

Inversion (14th March 2018), justntime2learn (15th March 2018), O Donna (14th March 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Tam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,363 times in 496 posts

I frequent /r/nosleep. It's 100% a fiction subreddit, it's just that there's a sort of game all users play where both the author and readers pretend it's "true", and comment as if it's real. Adds an interactive, organic element to the story.

Same kind of thing as creepypasta, essentially.

If you want actually true accounts, head to /r/thetruthishere, a subreddit where people can post stories of their experiences.

Lately the mods have been slacking, so comments have gotten more toxic and a lot of the content more questionable, but I've been subbed for a long time and you can always search their archives for interesting posts.

Just a little FYI. A lot of the writing on nosleep is believable, so it's a common misconception that some of the stories as genuine.

I'm sure a handful are, but the known format and posting of nosleep is fictional.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tam For This Post:

Amenjo (14th March 2018), badmotorfinger (15th March 2018), Ewan (14th March 2018), Michelle Marie (14th March 2018), O Donna (14th March 2018), Wind (14th March 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

is the 'Marine' US military or British?

he speaks with a British accent; not an American accent at all- has anyone not noticed this?

am not saying speaker's info is bogus but he's definitely not an American-

Larry

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Amenjo (14th March 2018), Art (14th March 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Amenjo (here)
    Quote Posted by O Donna (here)
    Yes real or not they are very entertaining.

Love and Truth,

Amenjo
    Agreed! I plan on watching all the parts at some point.

Things like this bring up "Weird Sh*t" I have experienced in younger years but hadn't thought of them for many (years). They may not rise to the level of these stories but they were bizarre in the moment.

In fact, I have this premise that we all experience bizarre things most days but the mind convinces us they are normal for obvious reasons.
    Knock Knock

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Amenjo (14th March 2018), petra (15th March 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    is the 'Marine' US military or British?

he speaks with a British accent; not an American accent at all- has anyone not noticed this?

am not saying speaker's info is bogus but he's definitely not an American-

Larry
    Definitely not an American?

Accent is inconsequential. Militaries have soldiers of various descent and children raised overseas often acquire accents from host counties.
    Knock Knock

14. The Following User Says Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Amenjo (14th March 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,389 times in 1,629 posts

I enjoyed the video and he does have a great voice.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Inversion For This Post:

Amenjo (14th March 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

@ O Donna

all children aquire their 1st language/accents exclusively from their mothers, not from militaries-

this is fact-

I could explain many examples of this from my own personal life/examples of friends but it would be too long for a forum response-

Larry

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Amenjo (14th March 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hmmm, this thread seems to have taken a wierd turn. The voice is that of a narrator/actor not of the "Marine" in the story, whom, based on the nature of the subreddit, is almost certainly a fictional character anyway. The fact that this is a narrator is clearly stated in the OP. It's just some UK actor recording something interesting to add to his showreel. He even throws in American accents for the other characters!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Humanbean For This Post:

Amenjo (14th March 2018), DeDukshyn (14th March 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

@ O Donna

all children aquire their 1st language/accents exclusively from their mothers, not from militaries-

this is fact-

I could explain many examples of this from my own personal life/examples of friends but it would be too long for a forum response-

Larry
    The OP indicates that these stories have been "narrated" from stories written by a Marine, on a Reddit thread. Narrated.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Amenjo (14th March 2018), Flash (14th March 2018), petra (15th March 2018), sandy (15th March 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    @ O Donna

this is fact-

Larry
    The OP indicates that these stories have been "narrated" from stories written by a Marine, on a Reddit thread. Narrated.
    Thanks, sorry just catching up on my own thread! Yes as described above the writer is not the narrator of the video hence the British accent rather than American.

And to be honest when I first came across this it was the video's I watched first, and I was thinking this all sounds great, but why has this guy got a British accent! then I researched behind the video and discovered it was narrated from posts on Reddit.

It's quite interesting reading through the comments and replies on Reddit & twitter, especially when other Marines are talking about the experiences they have had.

As I said before I have no idea if this is true or not, but I would recommend listening to the rest of the video's, even if it's just a good nighttime story, hence I posted it in the Movies,TV, Books and Popular Culture forum

Love and Truth,

Amenjo
    Last edited by Amenjo; 14th March 2018 at 23:18.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amenjo For This Post:

DeDukshyn (14th March 2018), Mercedes (16th March 2018), Noelle (15th March 2018), O Donna (14th March 2018), petra (15th March 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    New Zealand Avalon Member
    Thanks

If I'm not mistaken the narrator sounds exactly like Lenny Henry who is British with a West Midlands accent. Lenny is a stand up comedian and actor and very talented to.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorpio Girl For This Post:

Amenjo (15th March 2018), Mercedes (16th March 2018)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Scorpio Girl (here)
    If I'm not mistaken the narrator sounds exactly like Lenny Henry who is British with a West Midlands accent. Lenny is a stand up comedian and actor and very talented to.
    Hi Scorpio Girl, no it's not Lenny Henry I'm afraid.

Here's a video about the narrator.

Love and Truth,

Amenjo

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amenjo For This Post:

Mercedes (16th March 2018), Nick Matkin (17th March 2018)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Amenjo (16th March 2018), BMJ (16th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (16th March 2018), Inversion (16th March 2018), Jac0b (16th March 2018), justntime2learn (16th March 2018), Mercedes (16th March 2018)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 times in 2,099 posts

Interesting campfire story and accent aside I know the area and it's in Southern California, not South Carolina. I have family in the area and I have been going there most of my life. Another factoid would be that it doesn't get that hot there, 115-120F is about as hot as it gets and it's a bit unusual. Death valley yes, but the 29 Palms area just doesn't get up to 130F.

I know the Marine base out there is about that size but can't speak for the other facts dropped about it

Perfect campfire stories anyway.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Amenjo (17th March 2018), Inversion (29th May 2022)

33. Link to Post #17
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,294 times in 1,173 posts

Was at G2 division back in Bosnia some 25 years ago, at some stage during my tour a recon team found some strange spiderweb white substance at a remote mountainous area hanging from the trees. Immediately a file/dossier was made with pictures of a "factory" in which one of the warring parties was to be setup for making Chemical weapons, file consisting the plant and tanks (cylinder kind) + location where this supposed substance was made. It was never released since the story was never leaked (the found substance).

Years later (actually some 4 years ago) I was watching a Portuguese doc on something called Angel hair, had never heard of it until then, penny dropped and I realized instantly I had been witness to a cover up in motion at the time, for that was the exact substance which was described by the recon team. I bet my left arm many of us that have served in certain kind of setups have witnessed something strange at a random stage of duty, sometimes without realizing it I guess.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Amenjo (17th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th March 2018), Inversion (29th May 2022), Tam (18th March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread