+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Puzzle with Birds

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Default A Puzzle with Birds

I tried finding something about this on the internet and can't find an answer.

In the past week, on two separate occasions I have found a total of three dead baby birds in my driveway. I live in the country. Not so unusual you may think.

However, there are no trees or high places where I found them and from which they could have fallen. Still, not that unusual you may think.

Except, these birds have no feathers and to my knowledge could not have "walked" to their place of death. The only thing I could think is that an animal may have dragged them there, but what kind of animal would do that and not eat them? That's the puzzle. They looked pretty much close to hatched, but still completely helpless.

I am baffled.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

9ideon (23rd March 2018), Anka (2nd August 2020), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2018), meeradas (24th March 2018), mojo (23rd March 2018), petra (23rd March 2018), Sunny-side-up (23rd March 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Mancunian
    Thanks

Default Re: A Puzzle with Birds

well-fed cat

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to snoman For This Post:

9ideon (23rd March 2018), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2018), meeradas (24th March 2018), Sunny-side-up (23rd March 2018), sunwings (23rd March 2018), Valerie Villars (23rd March 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,301 times in 1,173 posts

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    I tried finding something about this on the internet and can't find an answer.

In the past week, on two separate occasions I have found a total of three dead baby birds in my driveway. I live in the country. Not so unusual you may think.

However, there are no trees or high places where I found them and from which they could have fallen. Still, not that unusual you may think.

Except, these birds have no feathers and to my knowledge could not have "walked" to their place of death. The only thing I could think is that an animal may have dragged them there, but what kind of animal would do that and not eat them? That's the puzzle. They looked pretty much close to hatched, but still completely helpless.

I am baffled.
    Pictures... (for investigative purposes).

Yes, ^ a Cat... Perhaps the little rascal needs a new place to stay at and is leaving you gifts in preparation of the move into your territory. You could/should leave some Cat nibbles on a tea cup saucer in order to close the deal, or at least see if the Furball shows its presence. The other option is that some Bird of Prey is dropping them there, but that seems even weirder.

In the case of it being a Cat, it's probably been observing you for quite some time now.

Last edited by 9ideon; 23rd March 2018 at 13:12.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2018), snoman (23rd March 2018), Sunny-side-up (23rd March 2018), Valerie Villars (23rd March 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Yes, a cat. They're fed at home so they don't need to eat but still have the instincts to chase and kill.

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Crow.

For several years Robin fledglings would have to run the gauntlet of our back lawn to the bushes.
    The crow(s) would swoop down, pick them up and fly them to the neighbour's roof. They would kill them and just leave them there, uneaten.

I would imagine they could do the same if they found a nest.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pixiestix For This Post:

DeDukshyn (23rd March 2018), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2018), meeradas (24th March 2018), petra (23rd March 2018), Valerie Villars (23rd March 2018)

10. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by pixiestix (here)
    Crow.
    My guess too.

Dead birds kind of freak me out. Dead crows included.

Kind of glad there's no pictures.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2018), meeradas (24th March 2018), Valerie Villars (23rd March 2018)

12. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

Crow.

For several years Robin fledglings would have to run the gauntlet of our back lawn to the bushes.
    The crow(s) would swoop down, pick them up and fly them to the neighbour's roof. They would kill them and just leave them there, uneaten.

Found a video showing crows attacking a young robin - warning - some might find this disturbing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taxaxd9ohEk

But yeah, either crow or cat - most likely. A well fed house-cat would be most likely to leave them though after killing; I would suspect that a crow might eat them as well as kill them - they are known to eat baby robins ...
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 23rd March 2018 at 17:08.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (23rd March 2018), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2018), meeradas (24th March 2018), Valerie Villars (23rd March 2018)

14. Link to Post #8
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Crow.

Found a video showing crows attacking a young robin - warning - some might find this disturbing.
    Interesting. I wonder if they see them as competitors to their food?

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Well thanks you all. That solves that puzzle.

I can't post photos yet. I have a digital camera and have no idea how to isolate and save them as jpegs, from the thousands I have on my camera. I used to do film, but this camera was a gift and the manual is as complex as it gets.

I don't have cats because my boyfriend is allergic. I do live on a farm and there are so many bird types here, it could absolutely be a crow, or that calico cat from across the highway that I've seen creeping around sometimes. I had no idea. Thank you. We have plenty of hawks but I imagine they would eat the baby birds. I would have thought most animals would eat them.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

DeDukshyn (23rd March 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th March 2018), meeradas (24th March 2018)

17. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by MorningFox (here)
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Crow.

Interesting. I wonder if they see them as competitors to their food?
    Likely. Crows defend their "territory" (which is their food gathering areas) with vigor - even taking on hawks and owls - who they also see as competitors.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (24th March 2018), meeradas (24th March 2018), Valerie Villars (24th March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread